Positive Reviews of L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

Find out more about L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

JackTwist's avatar

A scent whose bottle (Lalique, doves necking) is almost as famous as itself, L'Air du Temps begins with Neroli and Bergamot, from which emerges its combination of Rose de Mai, Jasmine, Ylang, Carnation and Orris - creating a very very light floral bouquet - as light as the "air" in its title. A number of base notes, including vetiver, cedar wood and musk, softens the nest.

Turin only gave it two stars, dubbing it a "lily amber," referring to the chemical benzyl salycylate, which entwines these two notes to give the floral heart in "satin: high gloss, weighty drape."

This light floral melange opens with a softly emerging carnation note that anchors its loveliness. This was Lana Turner's signature scent.

Top notes: Bergamot, Rosewood, Neroli, Peach
    Heart notes: Clove, Rose de Mai, Ylang, Orris, Orchid, Lily, Gardenia, Jasmine
    Base notes: Sandalwood, Musk, Vetiver, Benzoin, Cedar, Amber, Moss, Ambergris

Lovely, light and very feminine.

20th October, 2014

Parfumsisabelle's avatar

There are perfumes and timeless perfumes; there are good reformulations and appalling ones. And there are just awful perfumes that can't be talked about.

In the welcome gift box I received from the Perfume Society, there were 80% of awful perfumes we cannot talk about because they are so unsurprising and then there was l'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci, a perfume I had forgotten about because I thought it had been ditched, a perfume that is synonymous to my mother as it is one of her favorite.

I am usually not a floral type of perfume lover but l'Air du Temps is just so vintage and so elegant... The iris in it is present throughout but not overpowering and as for the rest (gardenia, jasmine), they are lingering about like walking through a flower garden in the summer. It is a feminine yet modern perfume that has not lost its appeal and can be worn day or night...

I love it and I am glad I rediscovered it!

14 September, 2014

ChellyBird's avatar

it's easy to wear, understated.

31st January, 2014

peachply's avatar

I am just revisiting this scent in my adulthood, yes it sat atop my dresser as a young girl and was just misunderstood. What I have come to appreciate about this scent is the subtlety of it. I can wear this to work and no one will wince or be made uncomfortable by the trail of scent...I appreciate how truly close one has to be to my body to even smell the true essence of it, this in my opinion is quite sensual it does not force itself upon you. I love the faint glow of carnation, rose and bergamot it leaves traces of. Despite some of the scathing reviews I do see this as very wearable in a unique way, it does not scream at you or those around you merely caresses and reminds you of a gentle time. The spring is the perfect season for L'air du Temps but it can be worn year round. I think it stands out as a lady like classic among the sea of overpowering air freshener style scents that we accosted by today. I'm liking it~

27 March, 2013

buren's avatar

I am a lucky lady: at my favorite thrift store I found two vintage Nina Ricci EDT splash bottles almost full, scent in beautiful condition.....at the moment the one I love is L'air du temps, gentle bergamot, carnation, rose....shadowed by cedar & a little sandal. I can be a little generous with it & it warms well.

The other was Farouche, a piquant floral aldehyde I enjoyed in the summer before without knowing what it was (then I had a little heart shaped mini with a worn label). I'll review the Farouche EDT in the spring, perhaps....

20th November, 2012

Cricketkitty's avatar

My mother used to buy me bottles of this for Christmas when I first joined the work force and could not afford it, for at that time it was still selling at a high price tag. The smell always reminds me of the holidays, New Years Eve parties, etc.

I have no idea what this fragrance is made up of, but I get a rose/carnation, spicy floral from it. Light enough to be worn during warm months, but still spicy enough to hold its own in the winter. If you are a fan of spicy florals, you will get a lot of bang for your buck here.

03 September, 2012

Fleurine's avatar

Top notes: carnation, peach, neroli, bergamot, rose and Brazilian rosewood
    Middle notes:rosemary, carnation, gardenia, violet, orchid, cloves, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose
    Base notes: spices, iris, amber, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, oak moss, vetiver and cedar

I disliked this fragrance for so long, despite wanting to like it, and repeatedly testing it, I thought it smelled shrill and headachy and then I tried the vintage.
    Let me just say, that whatever yellow water they are churning out these days is not the same L'Air du Temps, the original fragrance by Nina Ricci.
    What L'Air du Temps should be is a thick, rich peppery carnation scent with
    a healthy dose of gardenia, and not really all that "airy" despite the name.
    I also find the Lalique dove/ splash Parfum bottle a little "much", clumsy and awkward to open.
    What I did come across online (and am very pleased with,) is a vintage Parfum spray tester.
    that provides a big spray of the classic vintage scent without all the packaging. That
    has been my experience with L'Air, If you can wrestle the original fragrance from all the subsequent branding and reformulations, it is sheer deliciousness.

29 January, 2012

hollyhunt's avatar

Because of its oh-so-standard ordinary concept, a multi-floral, some feel it is boring. But this is my favorite Easter-time perfume, as a splash perfume. It is the Primavera of my scent collection. This scent can make you believe in fairies and the Easter Bunny and the sainted miracles. It may seem simple but it is actually orrnately woven, no minor keys, reminiscent of the good spirited smaller fairy kingdom. It dances well, like excellent champagne at a party. It creates a a grand ballroom where everybody is witty, tipsy, and released from the schackles of sarcasm and side-steps double-entendres that might be hurtful.

It is clear in spirit. I will not wear it in autumn or in winter. It is not a wooly spirit, and fine woolens are my favorite fabrics of all time. This is pure silk chiffon and silk oraganza, a pouf de la pouf of crisp flowery headroom, pale green tendrils lovingly wrapped around your body. It feels no pain, which means it is minus some maturity and depth that my favorite scents revel in. There is no irony or surprising juxtaposition in this perfume, but it is luxurious and elevating, and I like flying with it beginning with daffodil season through summertime.

06 November, 2011

Zut's avatar

L'air du temps is one of my favourite spicy florals of all times. Unfortunately, where I live, drugstores have been overselling it at ridiculously low prices for over 25 years making it a very common fragrance. L'air du temps ended up being considered a cheap perfume and many women refuse to wear it because of that. It's a pitty. This great classic deserved better.

05 September, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

This fragrance is what I'd call a peachy floral. It's quite airy and fresh, and in my opinion, something that not many people will expect from a 40's fragrance.

L'Air du Temps has a strange opening. I can only describe the top notes as having a very strong soapy smell, which isn't very clean, refreshing or appealing. For a moment I wondered why this was such a popular scent.

Then came the array of florals and spicy notes, supplanting the reason why L'Air du Temps is still on the shelves. Peach, rose and carnation are very dominant here. They give off a rich and distinctive smell which is only complimented by the subtle hints of clove and rosemary.

Heading towards the drydown, L'Air du Temps becomes increasingly powdery and warm. The spices become much stronger as the vetiver note commands attention. On my skin the drydown is quite sweet, however on paper the scent can be quite loud and harsh.

The lasting strength is brilliant. It lasted all day and even after a long shower. I don't think this scent will appeal to everyone, so it's best to try before buying. However, I have a lot of time for this scent. It is unfortunate that I cannot try L'Air du Temps prior to its reformulation.

26 June, 2011

magali's avatar

Ireland Ireland

One of my first ever grown up perfume. I just love the carnation blast. The bottle was so beautiful too! I still own it today and I never get tired of it. Works all time round- not too soft, not too strong but still remarkable.

05 June, 2011

fayeee's avatar

England England

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

03 April, 2011

MZJ's avatar

This was the first perfume that I eve purchased for myself. I loved it! I used to think that it seemed a bit too frilly for me- too classically floral - but I loved wearing it none-the-less. Maybe I should go back and see if it still feels too frilly!

20th February, 2011

Thalia's avatar

I have an old, old bottle of L'Air du Temps that was sitting on my dresser at least 25 years ago, so it contains whatever the '80s formulation might have been. I don't know what it smells like in a new bottle, but this juice on me is just as nonnative describes: a soft, bright, airy floral cloud, not too loud and a bit powdery, that quickly parts to reveal a woody, musky base that grounds it and makes it rather sexy. It's very pretty and likable -- especially with a pretty dress on a sunny weekend when you might be spending some time outdoors. Not too sweet, not too heady, but not dull. Great lasting power, too.

22 April, 2010

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Of all the classics I think L'Air du Temps is the most gentle and soft perfume I tried, is like a delicate summer breeze. Everyone can use it, and we know this is a difficult thing when we talk about others classics. Although in my skin this doesn't last as long as others eau de toilettes of the 40's.

In the first half hour, is an intense and interesting fragrance but then becomes very soft,so fast....Anyway, you will notice that the fragrance still there on your skin playing with your senses and with those of who are near you..

The scent is charming,timeless, feminine and warm. The kind of warmth that inspires freedom..

15 April, 2010

The_Entity's avatar

i remember wearing this as a child, i rebought again recently, still has that soft soapy scent which brings me back. only best for daytime wear

27 March, 2010

nonnative's avatar

If my nose is not mistaken the old L'AdTemps was strong, feminine and classy. Still classy, still feminine it seems to be softened into and clean powdery white flower. While on the moillette it's not very interesting, on my skin becomes almost spicy and woody. Incredibly good. Perhaps now one of my favourite.

25 March, 2010

Susanne's avatar

I loved the older vesion but can still love the new one. Still receive compliments from men when wearing the later version.

19 September, 2009

BoB's avatar

Thailand Thailand

A very classy, elegant and sophistiated fragrance. It has been on my grandma's dressing table for more than 20 years and it really reminds me of my childhood
    with her. A true classic.

02 August, 2009

susan ashley's avatar

sophisticated spring floral, elegant, ok for day or evening too. a classic

08 May, 2009

's avatar

This is a hard one for me to smell with a clean perspective.

Because I REMEMBER 'L'air du Temps', you see. I remember its salty, caustic, peppery personality, when it was so strong.. and so clear... like I imagine the screaming scene in Strauss's 'Elektra' must have "chilled" the opera houses: it was almost physically painful, like hot, bright, perfumed cream being piped into my sinuses... making my eyes tear, but evoking pagodas and promenades and enchanted gardens at the same time!!
    And it came in a gorgeous, heavy, glass flagon with frosted CRYSTAL doves.

The current "doves" that sit atop the current formulation of 'L'Air Du Temps' are the perfect allegory, in fact, to its "ruination": now fashioned of plastic, a kitsch reminder, a parody... slightly embarrassing...a cheap, brazen homage to something truly fine, now lost.

It reminds me, too, of that Elvis Costello song, "Veronica", about an elderly woman with Alzheimer's, who doesn't even remember her name, who happened to have been a scintillating, powerful, and dynamic character in her youth... her only remaining link to her past: a photo album and fleeting memories...
    Tragic.

So, would I like L'Air du Temps if I smelled it in its current version, as a new perfume, for the very first time?

Yes, I guess so.

I'd be intrigued by its peculiarity... by its peppery powder...
    by its quirky, frilly, yet not-at-all sweet, feminine appeal...
    by its potent carnation note *morphing* into a *salted* carnation note...

(But I would need it to be packaged generically to take it seriously.)

A begrudging thumbs up....

07 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2009)

Inkeri's avatar

Finland Finland

I wanted to find a new fragrance for my wedding day - very special scent for a special day. I tried many, oh so many novelties (and classics too), but all of them became disappointments after a while. This one somehow took my heart. I had never had it before, but it felt just right for that day. And I never had it since. Now smelling this brings back the memories of that happy, rainy day some years ago...

25 November, 2008

chatnoir's avatar

This was a scent of my great-grandmother's. When I was a child, I thought it was stinky skunk oil, though I was always captivated by the dove stopper. I revisited this recently, and I was pleasantly surprised. To my adult nose, it smelled fresh and romantic, with just a touch of earthiness in the rose notes. This could be effective as either a day scent or a night scent. I want to purchase a bottle and see if it will live up to the ultimate test- will it last more than an hour on my skin? If it does, this might become one of my five-star scents.

21st July, 2008

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Top note is rose to my nose. It as like old rossy baby powders, and like rose smell on old clothes rested decades in the attic or the sealed with a puff card found in an old novel. it is vintage soft but not the way i would like to smell.
    Middle note is carnations and jasmine. I really apreciate that part. These to are balanced so well that i can hardly tell them; they make a nice happy accord together, which is original and unique after fifty years. may be gardenia plays a role in that accord but i do not have a straong gardenia smell image in my olifactory lobe so it is hard to comment.
    Base note is iris; powdery and rich. I do not get spices in it. But expect nothing fresh either. I cannot wear it because of the top note but can say that it is a nice vintage.

18 July, 2008

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Many years ago I remember being instantly captivated when I first smpled L'Air du Temps in a store. "Unfortunately, Monsieur le Baron," said the assistant with a smirk, "this is a scent for women." Being young and impressionable at the time concerning such arbitrary social conventions, I blushed and left it on the shelf. Latterly, however, I have renewed my acquaintance with this remarkable fragrance and reaffirmed my first impressions. A sweet heart of carnation surrounded by a clean, fresh breath of joy. Masculine? Feminine? I would rather call it Angelic. (de Charlus).

30th June, 2008

mediterranean's avatar

Spain Spain

There is something nostalgic about this one.Reminds me of a sunny day having a picnic with friends ,under a tree , drinking red wine and relaxing,with nothing to worry about or to fear.Days of happiness wearing long white dresses and hats, laughing,reading,closing your eyes smelling the beautiful flowers while your imagination flies..

03 April, 2008

Carl999's avatar

This smells so nice and soft and clean and feminine. It gives off this happy, romantic auror that screams "The war is over! the Allies have won victory!"

Apparently, this was commissioned to herald the peace concluding WW2. Hence the doves on the stopper.

The fragrance itself smells soft, powdery, soapy, clean, musky, feminine and old-fashioned, but never old lady-ish. This is my Nanna's everyday perfume, which she has been wearing for the last 40 years. But I have never felt this was an old lady's perfume...Just classy, refined and happy.

Although my Nanna has many, many other beautiful perfumes that she wears very well, this perfume will always remind me of my Nanna, who lives a 1000 kms away from my family, and who I miss very much.

P.S. I know lots of girls my age that wear this very well, so its definitely not just some stuffy old granny's perfume...

03 July, 2007

pookerella's avatar

This scent used to be better than it is right now. Somewhere along the line, Nina Ricci changed SOMETHING...where the flowers come from? The water? Different alcohol? Oil? Slightly different mixture? Something is different. It is just not the same. Over the last 25 years or so, they changed something or cut corners to save money and this fragrance has not been the same since the 70s. Even so, given all the above, for me, it still conjurs up the first warm spring day, when the air softly blows across your face...which is exactly what its name means.

15 February, 2007

lovethosescents's avatar

According to an online source, here are the notes of L'Air du Temps. Ensoleille was inquiring, so I searched and found this. L'Air is quite a remarkable fragrance. I have always loved it. Believe it or not, it bears a remarkable resemblance to Wind Song. Many of the same notes present,but in my opinion L'Air du Temps is a much finer fragrance.

Top Notes: Bergmot, peach, rosewood, neroli
    Heart Notes: Gardenia, carnation, jasmine, May rose, ylang-ylang, orchid, lily, clove, orris
    Base Notes: Ambergris, musk, vetiver, benzoin, cedarwood, moss, sandalwood, spices

26 January, 2007

Femme's avatar

Slovenia Slovenia

A totally unexpected charmer.
    I say "unexpected" because I would never have thought that a sweet and powdery perfume could be SO appealing - and so original. Amidst all the sweetness, reminiscent of some heavenly meadows in bloom, there's a a surprising split-second of poignancy - a citrusy whiff of almost-melancholy, of nostalgia.

Indeed, men notice it..;)
    But, more importantly, a woman always feels SO warmly feminine and appealing while wearing it, regardless of her age.
    (I started wearing it at age twenty-two!)

"L'Air du Temps" is definitely a keeper - one for the ages. An ever-young classic.

05 December, 2006