Reviews of Sacrebleu by Nicolaï

Find out more about Sacrebleu by Nicolaï in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Lilly33's avatar

France France

A little gem!

This is my first review. I don't have the vocabulary or a fine enough nose to describe this in true pefumista fashion, but I am simply so excited by this scent! I walked into the Parfum de Nicolai shop on impulse and walked out with Sacrebleu with which I have fallen in love! And yet I was very wary before trying it, as it was described as a white floral and vanilla scent. I thought it might be overwhelmingly sweet, cloying and too young, and I normally really dislike tuberose. But, my goodness, this is so refined! It is not overwhelming at all, those floral notes are perfectly controlled. The result is just a heavenly delicate scent with depth. Outside the shop, as the wind blew, I caught whiffs of Sacrebleu and I knew I had found a perfect little gem!

22 August, 2013

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

if all parfumes would smell like this!!! this is heaven on earth, so femminine, so mysetrious, so sweet but not heavy, i get no headache no sickness, no problem as i can get them with other vanila sweet parfumes!

this rarely happens!!
    opening is so so beautiful!citrusy and the smell developes after 10 minutes and goes on for hours, i tried the intense version too, its different at the begining more sweet, more vanila tonka , but still not heavy, more gourmand.....they converge later....

Holy god! this is the name of the parfume and the effect it creates with me!

04 October, 2012

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

SACRE BLEU! I felt a disconcerting sense of deja vu when I first caught a whiff of the sillage...of another time, in another world, of another me. 20 years back to be precise, to the moment when I first stepped into my room in the university dorms, only to be greeted by a softly fuzzy yet strangely comforting scent that was probably associated with the use of certain carpet deodorizers. But when I brought my nose closer to my skin, this image all but vanished, leaving me with vaguely smoky licorice-like notes, rounded with some tonka (or maybe vanilla) and that soft leathery-powdery undertones. If tuberose is indeed listed, it is unlike any I have tried. Intriguing and not in the least 'girly'.

Now I don't expect others to experience what I just did but on a personal level, any scent that succeeds in evoking such vivid memories is not only aptly named, but also the work of an olfactory genius. It reminds me exactly why I pursue this hobby with such fervor, to uncover olfactory keys that unlock windows to the distant past.

07 February, 2011

cheryl's avatar

A raspberry floral girly scent. It's sweet and tasteful, but there is an aspect that will recall something from childhood...a candy, or medicine or something relying on the same red berry note. Lacks ambition.

01st February, 2011

BlondeDiva71's avatar

I tried this scent a long time along and intially I really liked it...and after reading one of the posts from another poster I knew exactly what I did and didn't like about it! It has a note of Raspberry (somewhere in there!) but it's predominately an "incense-y" scent. This is definitely an older scent..I was in my late 20's when I tried it so it was way too old for me then and probably still too old for me now, approaching 40. Something you could picture smelling on your Grandmother. I'm not knocking it...it's just different and maybe that's why I like it!!

03 December, 2010

sfonativeboy's avatar

Raspberry... Currants
    a hint of Cinnamon....with the depth and warmth that Vanilla and Clove ...usually bring.
    the Incense is there barely hidden ...
    giving it a smoky allure.

On me this is a very "FRENCH" fragrance..

Much in the same manner "BOUCHERON" bring me olfactory memories of
    the Antique Shops along the Quai Voltaire in Paris...

19 June, 2010

Doctor Mod's avatar

Ever since I heard of this fragrance, I had imagined I would love this. From the cheeky name to the very thought of an incense-based fragrance created by the offspring of the grand Guerlain dynasty, I had conjured up an idea of my perfect fragrance. Ah, but as they say, try before you buy.

And so I did. The beginning of my test application was promising, with what struck me as a delicious licorice incense--although I can't quite define what note registered as licorice in my olfactory nerves. This delight was brief, though, as it soon settled into a rich and pretty (but neither beautiful nor sensuous) fruit jam.

This is not to say that Sacrebleu is not fine stuff--indeed it is--but that suggestions that this is an oriental rather than a straight-up floral are, I think, really wide of the mark, as there is nothing very spicy or woody here.

Being fifty-something, I confess I do find the constant dismissive references to "old-lady" fragrances irritating. Yet I must also confess that I had thoughts that Sacrebleu would be a fragrance I would give my mother (were she still living) as it is elegant and lovely but certainly not in the least bit sexy or as exciting as its exclamatory name would suggest. (Nor, for that matter, is there anything "sacre" about it.)

Three weeks after my first test, I tried Sacre Bleu a second time, using the remainder of the sample vial. Being trained to analyze, process, then analyze and process again, I was troubled by my inability to sort out just what I found unappealing about it before. The second test produced several additional thoughts. I kept thinking there was some childhood recollection in all this, but I couldn't place it. At first, I thought it was some sort of candy--the kind kids eat, not because it's good but because it's candy and it's there--and realized that Sacrebleu strikes me as more fruity than floral. (I'd been stumped before, trying to pin down a particular flower.) I could swear I smelled banana--more some strange banana/raspberry flavoured something or other--and I could smell the incense more clearly this time, though it was an incense far removed from the ecclesiastical variety one encounters in CdG Avignon or Heeley Cardinal.

And then it hit me. Not so much a childhood memory but a teenage one. By the end of the 60s and the beginning of the 70s, virtually every place that sold records--no matter how unhip--also sold incense. Not only the patchouli sort that automatically registers "hippy" in so many minds, but just about every scent imaginable....

Psychedelic raspberry incense! Mais oui!

SACRE BLEU! (Pardon my French, as my mother would say.)

09 June, 2010

w3pearl's avatar

a non-synthetic version of that awful Guerlain Insolence, I mean... this is actually very nice!

I think it would be best applied with a dabber, though...

anyway, it's good! thumbs up all the way! a warm berried "blossomied" floral fruity. Quite classy, fit for a young princess, playful, young, yet tasteful and well mannered,with natural distinction.

14 April, 2010

olenska's avatar

First came a mighty, in-your-face note of anise-- then nothing. SacreBleu had simply disappeared. Failing to notice the "back in five" sign (written in the tiniest handwriting imaginable, and in invisible ink), I liberally reapplied. Then anise returned-- with reinforcements. Sandalwood, vanilla, licorice, and a delicious, chalky violet like crushed Choward's mints. Soon they had me surrounded-- a pack of manic scent fairies spiraling around me in a helix of sparkling aromas. I surrendered. I think they made off with my wallet. They're welcome to it

30th January, 2010

The long lasting top notes form a fizzy, spicy, fruity, floral accord. Sacrebleu exhibits very good quality raw materials and the typical superb Nicolaï attention to the movements and proportions of the fragrance. But when all is said and done, we are dealing here with a fruity / floral, and to my way of thinking, it’s pretty difficult to make anything outstanding out of the combination. This is a nice scent – the florals are well done and the fruit, black currant, was well chosen because it does not project that ultra sweet sillage that some other fragrances of this type tend to do.

Nicely done but it is missing that something special.

28 November, 2009

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Just OK. Although it's sweet and faintly (femininely) floral there's enough jasmine here to make me feel that I could carry it off. To me Sacreblue smells like soapy jasmine bubblegum, not unlike many of the soap bars one can find in LUSH (handmade cosmetics chain store).

20th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st October, 2009)

pinkfizzy's avatar

Argh! I loved this, but it reminded me of something I couldn't quite name... I wish I hadn't read the review that says it smells like children's Motrin, cause that's it! Well, it's still gorgeous, but just too syrupy sweet for my tastes.

06 July, 2009

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

The sacred tuberose in the first minute is really great but when jasmin which is not the best quality is added scent becomes somehow metalic. The second quality jasmin oils have this side scent; so does the ylang ylang and violets; a kind of bitter and disturbing metalic like note. Also the final scent is sour on me.

09 September, 2008

vintage*red's avatar

Another beautiful perfume from PdN! It is a kind of oriental floral gourmand with a spicy vanilla incense drydown that rivals Shalimar. In spite of that description, the scent is not too heavy-handed. I always receive compliments when I wear this and I always am eager to recommend Parfums de Nicolai. I like it best in the intense concentration. It isn't stronger; it simply lasts longer. PS Sadly, this has changed. It's initial jam note has been replaced by bubblegum sweetness.It is no longer spicy. It has lost it's incense drydown. Still pretty but not what it once was...

02 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

lookingglass's avatar

I just don't love this one like I thought I would. Ah...the search for the most wearable tuberose continues for me.

It reminds me of Children's Motrin, the liquid, at first. Fruity...pleasent. The tuberose and vanilla make a nice enterance in the drydown, but it is very soft, close to the skin, and the whole composition seems to sit very flat on me. The spice remains for quite a while. Pleasent...I will keep my sample and wear it casually. It just dosn't have the ooomph or sex appeal that I am demanding of my fragrances lately.

Notes are listed as:
    black currant bud, peach blossom, jasmine, tuberose, vanilla, tonka bean, Yemenese incense

12 January, 2008

lookingglass's avatar

Notes are listed as:

12 January, 2008

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Infinitely sexy, yet very wearable. An olfactory delight.

13 November, 2007

kshepinfo's avatar

I have used nearly an entire bottle of this in the Perfume; definitely a great fragrance; my husband loves it; yet there is something that lingers a little/dominates on my skin that I find irritating; something kind of spicy. It lasts forever, a very sophisticated beautiful scent I just don't love it the way I love my recent purchase of Bois des Isle --

14 October, 2007

rach2jlc's avatar

Of the five or six PdNs I've tried, this one is my favorite. Like most PdN, it changes greatly from start to finish, but this one retains that class, warmth, and slight sweetness all the way to drydown. As well, it's longevity is quite good.

It is quite feminine, given a fruity accord (raspberry maybe?) but it is no more feminine than Rykiel Homme and infinitely more classy and warm.

Definitely worth a try.