Negative Reviews of Ormolu by Penhaligon's

Find out more about Ormolu by Penhaligon's in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Top Notes - Armoise, Chamomile, Bergamot
    Middle Notes - Jasmine, Rose, Violet, Ylang
    Base Notes - Sandalwood, Musk, Moss, Amber

This one shoots down my image of Penhaligon fragrances being dignified, tasteful, and impeccable creations. The first sniff gives me an excellent herbal / floral accord that lasts for about ten seconds before it morphs into a pushy grape bubblegum note. I don’t know what in the top notes causes this response to my nose – this is the kind of reaction I sometimes get from sweet fruity accords with almond in it. After the first ten seconds, I don’t smell any chamomile in this super sweet accord, and I sure wish I did – it would cut the overly sweet, powdery response that I am getting. The fragrance never reaches the middle florals for me; it stays with the powdery bubblegum accord, reducing intensity until it just sort of peters out with no swansong. For a drydown I get no moss or sandalwood, but I do get a negligible amber and musk: the sweetness nor the powder just don’t let up for me. I can certainly understand why Ormulu was discontinued: I highly approve.

08 May, 2008