Reviews of Romance by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Romance by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sparklish's avatar
    sparklish

Romance is a beautiful, clean scent, perfect for the girl, nay the woman-next-door.

The opening is crisp, clean and floral but not overly sweet. The carnation spiciness keeps things interesting. On dry down, it melts into something sweet but a little spicy, with a hint of musk to keep it from being too prim.

The scent conveys fresh white laundry blowing in the wind, walking barefoot on a windswept beach in early summer, or a casual but elegant backyard dinner party complete with a bouquet of flowers from the garden.

This fragrance is casual, but elegant. The woman who wears this is confident, but very comfortable in her skin. Like the brand it represents, it conveys classic American elegance. This would be a wonderful signature scent to adopt.

06 March, 2014

yrogergmc's avatar
    yrogergmc

Inoffensive, but nothing special.

This is not as strongly divisive as some more famous perfumes, but even individuals can have a love/hate relationship with it. On one hand, it's good for all sorts of various situations, from office to evening (although you might want something less "ladylike" for a nightclub); on the other hand, it's ALWAYS there. Though there is little sillage, it lasts a while on clothes. Doesn't develop much, and there's not much depth here. Rather one-note. Traditional in the American sense: more T-shirt than tailored. The best recommendation for it is its versatility. The strongest vote against it is that, unless you really love it, you will get tired of it quickly. Definitely try this before you buy it!

Pros: Light, good for hot weather, all-purpose
    Cons: Very divisive scent"

28 August, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar
    OCNBreeze7

Ralph Lauren designs unique and great smelling fragrances. Romance is no exception to that rule. Romance is very pleasant blend of floral, ginger, and woodsy notes with a powdery finish. Romance is definitely a clean fresh showered fragrance that is pleasant and easy on the nose. The projection and sillage is above average, especially early on, with decent longevity - it will last all day on clothing and about six (6) hours on the skin. Not too shabby..!! Strangely enough, I have not received any compliments - the Wow Factor - wearing Romance, but I think it has potential. It may the only one of my favorite frags that I have not received compliments. You folks will have to trust me - the fragrance is pleasant and will be liked by your significant other. Sweetie gives Romance a thumbs up..

The bottle and packaging is first class - I love those clear bottles - this is nothing short of expectation from Ralph Lauren. While some people would suggest Romance is a spring or summer fragrance, I would pitch that Romance offers great flexibility/versatility that allows it be worn any time of year and for any occasion. What can I say - I am comfortable in my own skin..!!

One issue of concern is the price value. There is speculation that Romance has been discontinued, driving up the price. Currently, the Amazon rate is $75.00. I can't recommend at that rate, but if you can pick it up for $50.00, I definitely recommend adding to your collection.

Final scoring for Romance is 4.5 stars out of 5. Romance is a fantastic fragrance that gives the clean fresh showered feeling all day. If the price/value were better, I would score higher. Nonetheless, Romance still ranks in my Top 10. You can change the world - make a contribution...

30th January, 2013

bnusr's avatar
    bnusr

It has a strange MO. It starts out bright, floral and luscious in a fresh sort of way, but then rather than deepening into warmer, broader and more muted notes it thins out and sours. Remind you of anything?

30th December, 2012

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Too light. Not enough florals. Too similar to many things offered these days. But then again, it's from 1991, who's to expect ingenuity? A man could wear this without too much suspicion.

18 December, 2012

Cyn's avatar
    Cyn

I am not liking this scent at all. It smells awful. Kind of masculine and greasy.

25 November, 2012

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

The opening reminds me of Pleasures by Estee Lauder and it actually reminds me of Pleasures , in total but perhaps more floral.
    I quite like this one !

28 June, 2012

bluebird1's avatar
    bluebird1

I first smelled this on my sister in law and loved it. It's a very nice floral with a hint of rose, but it doesn't last long at all. After about thirty minutes, I can hardly smell it. I wouldn't give it away, but I don't wear it often just because of that.

26 December, 2011

BetsyMeszaros's avatar
    BetsyMeszaros

I bought this because I needed a floral. I've worn it 2 or 3 times now. I feel like I'm wearing a man's scent but I can't figure out which one. Sort of wish I hasn't bought this.

It reminds me of Elizabeth Arden Splendor, which came out the same year, only this just isn't as nice.

it's not bad. it's okay. It's just not real good.

24 June, 2011

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Romance is a pleasant, clean-smelling fruity floral, yet it is a little too soapy for my liking.

It tends to have that generic shampoo type scent, which although refreshing and no doubt attractive to the opposite sex, I feel that it has been done and re-done in fragrances way too many times.

Do I feel that Romance is a romantic fragrance? No, not really. A romantic scent in my opinion is something that smells intense, passionate and warm. Romance is more likely to make one feel conservative and reserved.

While Ralph Lauren does tend to produce some lovely and incredibly popular fruity floral scents, I feel that they've played it safe with this one.

However, I must add that Romance has great sillage and lasting power. Had it been given another name and been promoted as a bright, refreshing and Spring-like scent, I may have liked this fragrance a little better. Unfortunately, Romance has left me disappointed and underwhelmed.

04 June, 2011

ninamichaela's avatar
    ninamichaela
    Philippine Philippine

It's making me really nauseous.

I need to sell this bottle as soon as possible. Any takers?

18 April, 2011

purplebird7's avatar
    purplebird7

This is kind of a mess. I shudder every time I read the advertising on a bottle that says, "floral chypre." People who make the perfumes sold in department stores don't know what Chypre is anymore. This is the same type of sour, peppery, dry mess that dominates that phony genre. Extremely synthetic, unpleasant, and without a redeeming drydown. There isn't any real patchouli in this (or I would like it better) only chemical woody smells. Undertones of acidic, rosy barf.

08 February, 2011

nMo's avatar
    nMo

I bought a set yesterday and in the Indian heat a full-on aftershave splash plus half a dozen sprays on my body and yet... nothing, nada, zilch.

Take a pass on this one folks.

25 May, 2010

resaur's avatar
    resaur

It's not bad. My two friends did not like it though. I sort of did. To describe it, I would say it's sort of manly.. almost like it should be a cologne but it still retains a hint of femininity. So I wouldn't get it, unless I was a manly female.. which I am not.

note: I only smelled this through a tester strip, I am not sure it matters but I feel like its important information :).

18 March, 2010

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

spicy/floral and synthetic. original at last but i will take romance silver over this anyday.

23 February, 2010

Lorettagrace's avatar
    Lorettagrace

I just have to add my voice to the throng. On me, this smells like lotion. I mean that completely -- the way that a lotion has the undertones of the chemicals and stuff that are there to moisturize, the stuff that the fragrance is there to mask? So it smells like THAT. Not a perfume at all. It's not horrible, but it's not anything I'd spend money on. In fact, I think I'll trade away my sample.

19 December, 2009

Kiichigopan's avatar
    Kiichigopan

Let me start by saying something totally contradictory: This is one of my most favorite perfumes that I own (if not THE most favorite), but after a few hours it turns mega stinky on me.

I really like how this smells when I first spray it on: Slightly floral, slightly fruity, and slightly spicy. I find it appropriate for day wear, evening wear, special occassions, and grocery shopping. I think it smells young, but not immature.

Unfortunately it contains patchouli, and I guess patchouli doesn't work well with my skin chemistry because every perfume I own that contains it ends up making me smell exactly like sweaty, dirty gravel. It gives me vivid flashbacks of playing on my elementary school's playground. Luckily the top and middle notes more than make up for it and doesn't really change my opinion of it.

08 November, 2009

Trapjaw's avatar
    Trapjaw

My wife got this a few years ago and I don't like it at all compared to the mens in which I got around the same time. Ive tried some on today & the base reminds me of when I was a kid running around wal mart's pet department after school while my mom was working in toys. The lady that worked in pets must have worn something similar from that era (like 1987-88') reminds me of her. She was in her 50s then. I'll stay neutral on it since I enjoyed my time in the pet dept. lol.

03 November, 2009

Britannia's avatar
    Britannia

I agree that this is an ordinary sort of fragrance. This was another one that was given to me as a tester at its debut, when I worked in a mall, and all the girls tried it. On most, it came out as a nice, though slightly synthetic fragrance, and on me it was tolerably floral but faded quickly. On all, however, it was well-blended, which I admire.
    One girl, however, started working with me a few weeks later, and I was surprised to hear that her lovely fragrance was none other than RL's Romance. It was soft, and feminine, alluring without being especially sexy. A ladlylike perfume, that wafted off of her, and I envied her ability to make it turn out so nicely.

24 September, 2009

xXjEnNyXx's avatar
    xXjEnNyXx

It is a nice clean floral but it is an "oridinary" fragrance to me. Romance is a feminine fragrance but it is missing something...the notes stay the same and it is one demensional (at least on me). I wear it on occasion but it is not my first choice. It strong at first but doesn't last very long on my skin, about 20 minutes and then a very faint trail of the perfume remains. For me it's neutral because it's nice but nothing special.

07 January, 2009

Aredore's avatar
    Aredore

This a fragrance I would wear sometimes, even if it is too generally too light and floral for me.

I got it as a hand me down from my mother (evidently, she didn't like it) and my uneducated opinion of it was that it was "okay." Light and nice smelling, but a little alcoholic.

I given it a few goes since then and my big problems with Romance are first the super floral start - there's WAY too much going on with the topnotes at the start and the fact that it never really seems to settle into anything more interesting than an enormous bouquet of flowers. I would like it to settle into something a little more sultry and earthy after a few hours with some floral and a hint of sweetness. Instead, it's just powdery.

Final vote is a "meh." A good "meh," but a "meh" nonetheless.

24 December, 2008

MeryMer's avatar
    MeryMer

Well, my body chemistry didn't turn it, which is saying a lot. But, I don't get the fuss over this perfume. My co-workers love it so I tried it. It starts out way to floral for my liking and, on the drydown, becomes very antiseptic. It smelled like drugstore aftershave. Certainly not horrible, but much, much less than all the hype.

02 December, 2008

taliaseki's avatar
    taliaseki
    Turkey Turkey

Many times in the perfumery i have just handled the bottle and finding the smell ordinary, left it without trying.Then when i have been planning to get pregnant, i have checked cosmeticsdatabase for perfumes and this is one of the reasonable in between the healthy ones. So i have purchased it online without trying. The result; i like it very much. I used to like florals even more when i was younger and ten years ago, this would be a jewel to me. Though my taste draw away from floras in the past years it is still very nice to me. The most spotting note is the rose. I am not fond of roses but suprisingly that is not annoying to me. (O.k i have to be clearer; i live in turkey and we have a wacky relationship with roses. Rose water is everywhere. It is used to tonic face and babies and treat to guests, added to some food mainly deserts like turkish delight and some othman halvah and jams made from rose petals and of course some drinks containing rose aroma; and guess which is most popular gardening plant and most popular air freshener scent around here... so is it clear that i am in the boundary of hating rose smell). i can enjoy that rosy fragrance. I guess this is because of the nice blend and the unique quality of the rose used. Definitely best rosy fragrance i have met...

10th May, 2008

lion_dancer's avatar
    lion_dancer

I find this scent lovely, although it does not suit my personality AT ALL! When that happens to me, I will usually by the disagreeing fragrance for my sister, so that I can smell the loveliness without the battle. Floral, Fresh, Clean, and naively sexual.

03 November, 2007

melancholic-botanist's avatar
    melancholic-botanist
    Poland Poland

I like it. Flowery, elegant, soapy, metallic. Lychee scented tea + roses + "salty" note of marigold + smell of an adhesive tape (the same chypre note as in Libertine by V.Westwood).

04 July, 2007

death.is.beautiful's avatar
    death.is.beautiful

i've got a sample of this scent from a magazine n fell in love with it immediately. the valentine's day limited edition is very pretty,but was out of stock when i wanted to purchase it.

21st February, 2007

Mitulove's avatar
    Mitulove

I've been hemming and hawing over this one, probably since it's launch when I would have smelled it in a magazine insert. Trying it seriously again now, I still think it's very pretty. Had I the presence of mind, I think this would have been a better choice when I was having my Halo by Victoria's Secret kick a few years ago. For the moment, this is slightly too harsh for me so I doubt it will become a regular favorite.

21st January, 2007

Bliss's avatar
    Bliss

I used to get a lot of compliments when I wore this, and when other people starting wearing it, I stopped.

For me, this is just an okay fragrance, but I know a lot of other people who love it.

18 January, 2007

Tink's avatar
    Tink

I really don't like this fragrances. It's too floral for me. But it's my biggest seller. I wore it to see if i get feedback or if it would grow on me. Neithr happend, but it didnt make me want to take a bath either.

14 January, 2007

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

I think Romance is absolutely beautiful. I wore it almost exclusively for a time a few years ago, and after I finished my 4th or 5th bottle, I didn't repurchase it. It seemed like I smelled it everywhere I went, so it wasn't as special.

Now that the buzz has dulled a bit, I've repurchased Romance and I love it with the passion it originally evoked in me upon its launch. It's elegant, romantic, rich and, best of all, unique. This is certainly one of my favorite fragrances, and it gets compliments from everyone, everywhere!

06 December, 2006