Reviews of Romance by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Romance by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Tovah's avatar

I think Romance is absolutely beautiful. I wore it almost exclusively for a time a few years ago, and after I finished my 4th or 5th bottle, I didn't repurchase it. It seemed like I smelled it everywhere I went, so it wasn't as special.

Now that the buzz has dulled a bit, I've repurchased Romance and I love it with the passion it originally evoked in me upon its launch. It's elegant, romantic, rich and, best of all, unique. This is certainly one of my favorite fragrances, and it gets compliments from everyone, everywhere!

06 December, 2006

shellygilbert's avatar

LOVE LOVE LOVE this scent! This is one of the only perfumes that I've actually ever used a bottle of! The only other was Mackie. I hope that this one stays around forever!

13 October, 2006

F_Frez's avatar

I smelled it several years ago on some friends or known people, retained the name but no the aroma, maybe wasn't something special at these time. This week I had the opportunity of smell it again on two colleagues at work, both of them using it in the same day.

In the younger colleague, the fragrance felt very nice, with a citric-like top note according with her sporty and girly style, plus several floral notes and a freesia hint (due to this note, I confused this fragrance with Lancome's Miracle). Strange, on the older colleague with a more classic dressing style it didn't fit well and felt like something out of place.

The fragrance seems to be more suitable for a younger range of age, like 20-35 years old women. Didn't felt special at office, maybe it should have a better result as a daytime fragrance. Although the name is "Romance", the constant citric note didn't felt well for a romantic use.

13 October, 2006

monochromatism's avatar

There's an antiseptic quality about it, almost hurts my nose. It's like huffing a big squirt of lysol. Not pleasant.

28 April, 2006

bonni's avatar

It's not pink, but the box is. This seems to be one of the first of the many "pink floral" fragrances that came out on the market around the same time.

It's a pleasant fragrance, light, a bit sweet, definitely very floral. Nothing really distinguishes it for me, though. "Nice but nothing special" is how I'd characterise this one.

19 March, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

I wore this fragrance during my last pregnancy. It was the only scent that didn't sicken me. I found it very fresh and lasting. I think the marigold and lychee gave it a nice tang and kept the top & heart notes from being overly sweet and flowery. About a month or so after my son was born, I put some Romance on and was totally repulsed. It was waaaaaaaay too overpowering and went completely acidic on my skin. Boy oh boy, chemistry is everything! I enjoyed it for about 7 months.

02 March, 2006

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Sweet, soft floral with no offensive or terribly interesting notes on me. It's probably my chemistry. I just didn't feel the 'Romance' in this one.

13 February, 2006

lefay's avatar

Bought a bottle of this based on a review elsewhere and gave it away shortly thereafter. An undistinguished fragrance: not awful, but lacking grace and loveliness. I should have known; his clothing designs bore me, too.

09 November, 2005

JohnnyH's avatar

The bottle is a shorter, fatter version of Eternity by Calvin Klein. The scent is very common and definitely not to my likings.

09 October, 2005

FragranceFan255's avatar

A delightful woodsy-floral from Ralph Lauren. Never in my life would I have thought they'd find good use for marigolds in a fragrance, as I think they are absolutely vile smelling things. But Romance gets off to a good start nonetheless, and I'm glad to say that if there are marigolds in the top, I can't smell 'em. The life of the top notes are a lot of fun to whiff off the wife, but the good character of the heart and base are what I wait for. Romance has a pretty good balance that is only slightly cloying if a little more than appropriate is used. Well into the drydown the woods become very distinguishable among the flowers. Perhaps it's the woods and it's neighbors in the base, but I swear it smells very akin to Perry Ellis 360 for men but more subdued and without the spice riding with it.

11th August, 2005