Positive Reviews of Baghari by Robert Piguet

Find out more about Baghari by Robert Piguet in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral/Chypre

Weird, I tell you. Baghari announces itself with a blast of citrus, dry aromatic notes, and dusty animalic overtones that remind me somehow of – believe it or not – Yatagan. The impression is fleeting: Baghari’s opening is far brighter, with citrus where Yatagan has pine, and once past the thirty seconds it takes for Baghari’s soft, sweet floral accord and powdery aldehydes to establish themselves, it lives in an entirely different world. Too bad really, since the harsh, dangerous opening is fascinating in the same manner as venomous reptiles and carnivorous plants.

Startling gear change at the opening or not, Baghari is a great fragrance, and as its sweet, spicy base develops it moves from simply pretty to sultry and seductive. There’s plenty of sillage and the scent projects effectively, so you’ll always know you’re wearing it. It lasts well, too, darkening and softening all the while, until its nocturnal flowers slip away into a starless olfactory night.

09 June, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

You can sense the sheer quality of materials and perfumer artistry at play here. At first there is a huge whoooosh of snowy aldehydes, which like a snowstorm takes quite a while to clear and settle. I have to say that this was my least favorite part and is quite possibly a deal breaker for me. It reminded me so intensely of Chanel No. 5 EDT and it quite turned my stomach.

But then, once the snowstorm of aldehydes banks down, for the rest of the day you get gentle but persistent poofs of bitter orange peel (orangettes, as they are called in French) buttressed by wisps of amber and powder. The drydown is glorious. Pretty, formal, mysterious, sweet without being candied, powdery and floral. It is very feminine - I can't see a man pulling this off convincingly - but hey, I would love to see what this is like on a man, the contrast between the scent's inherent prettiness and the rough, stubbly skin of a musky male might be olfactory heaven, who knows...

Longevity and sillage are immense, impressive even. Enough to surround you with a haze of scent all day and night, at levels that make you seem simply attractive and not intrusively or loudly scented.

For me, this scent reads as formal. It is the type of fragrance I see a woman wearing to the theatre, not to a book club evening, let's say. I am not sure it is suited to an office environment - the immense sillage might make it less quiet than very formal office environments require. I really like this one, but I am wondering whether or not it has a place in my real life. I don't go to the theatre, and although my office is pretty relaxed about scent, this one has a formality and baroque feeling to it that I don't know I can live up to.

And those opening aldehydes, hmmmmmm.....that gives me pause for thought too. But in general, I really like/admire Baghari. I suggest it as a wonderful and more interesting alternative to young career women who might otherwise be wearing one of the younger Chanels, like Coco Mademoiselle or Chance. Baghari is far more interesting than either of those, and represents a very large step up in terms of complexity.

07 May, 2014

rbaker's avatar

Yup, aldehydes fill my nose but only for a brief second. Then the neroli-violet dyad takes over, a beautiful flower given freshness by the neroli and aldehydes in quite a unique fashion, especially when a gorgeous jasmine is added in the delightful drydown. I then get flowery-elegant phase with orange blossom, with the base adding a well-designed amber that is not a very rich amber, more of an airy and elegant amber that towards the end displays a distinctly powdery note. Overall a flowery-oriental, but on my skin rich but not heavy, and never cloying or conspicuously sweet. Not a silage star like Visa or the Fracas dyad, it still sports good silage and projection with a good longevity of six hours. Great for spring days. I only cover the reformulated version as I unfortunately never tried the vintage formulation. A grand dame that has juvenile zest today.

25 January, 2014

tymanski's avatar

I never thought I could love an aldehyde feast more than La Myrrhe, but man, was this a revelation! The opening aldehyde combo packs an irresistible zing! with candies orange, the realistic chypre mid-life with such a graceful musk drydown (much much later)...mon dieu! this is really beautiful stuff. As with Sarrasins, my wife finds this too feminine for me to pull off but I'm inclined to disagree. Nothing that smells this good can NOT work for whomever, right?
    (I find this quite similar to Tauer's Orange Star, but is more complex, less powdery, just more elegant...) 9/10

10th March, 2013

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Were I to attend a sci fi convention this is the perfume I’d wear. It’s cold, pale green milk from the Planet Zearxh.
    It holds such opposite notes together in such exquisite balance, it’s a perfumery gyroscope. It never seems familiar, surprising each time I spray it on. The aldehydes go ssss, before the gas takes effect. Lemon cool and sharp, violet leaf bitter and greasy, abstract ‘fresh’ greens, geraniol’s liveliness, and clouds and clouds of powder. There’s sweetness lurking here too, but of an almost metallic variety. It’s one of those fragrances where the discussion of notes inevitably seems to throw off balance the actual experience of wearing the thing. It’s about as linear as they come, but I wouldn’t want it any other way – there’s enough complexity here, it seems churlish to demand evolution. For a ‘cold’ fragrance, it positively sings in the wintertime – go figure.
    Some days I wake up and think, this is going to be a Baghari day – and then I just know it would be foolish to consider anything else.

13 July, 2012

JackTwist's avatar

A superb oriental - in the same category as OPIUM and JAIPUR HOMME, my two other absolute favorite orientals.

The scent is sensual, powdery, warm and captivating - cinnamon and vanilla float over amber and musk - although cinnamon is not a listed ingredient, the "effect" is there.

Here are the ingredients:

Bergamot, Damascus Rose, Centifolia Rose, Jasmine, Neroli
    Aldehydes, Iris, Violet
    Vetiver, Amber, Musk, Vanilla

Treat yourself - you'll be happy you did.

23 June, 2012

redrose's avatar

Some wonderful, detailed descriptions here, whose experiences reflect mine, though with one big caveat. Yes, I love this scent! But only for an hour or two - because after that, it begins a slow dry-down in which the predominant notes for me are almond (lovely), mushrooms (weird) and a sort of dusty-basement accord. And this spoils it for me, because I have to keep respraying to get the opening and middle notes of florals and aldehydes which are so beautiful. I've tried spraying on to a piece of cotton wool and tucking that into my bra, with good results, but I wish the scent stayed together better on my skin. Still good enough that I now an FB, though. I've never smelled the original, but this is a top-notch modern scent in its own right.

08 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2012)

gabyvinki's avatar

Ubelievably beautiful! My new oriental princess of a fragrance...!! Wow, I have something nowadays with Robert Piguet..I like Calypso, Futur and Bandit and I LOVE Fracas but this one I ADORE ! For met the best of all recently reformulated Piguet remakes.. so flowery, powdery and deep longlasting. It also changes a lot, the opening note could be a little heavy on the aldehydes (for people who don t like this ..wait a few minutes::) THEN the middle notes slowly take over and what a charming combination of ambery iris! I didn t think these two notes would mingle so well, but girl, they did! The powdery violet even depens the amber and is a very flirtatous as ever with the iris. It s a dark,creamy slightly sweet oriental and please, give it a 2nd chance, as I did! No blind buys , go for a sample first:)

11th October, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Powdery aldehydes and spicy candied fruits (mainly orange) surrounded by floral patterns and laying on a ambery/musky base. Basically I could end up my review here having said anything that is important about Baghari, but this composition has much more to offer. All the previous elements are extremely balanced and masterfully orchestrated to take a "different" turn. White flowers turn into night flowers, aldehydes juxtaposed to spices turn from clean to misterious, candied fruits have a bitter aspect to them (yes) that gives an interesting twist to the overall icing sugar allure.

Overall Baghari is an orange chypre with a remarkable "noir" vein. A composition of rare beauty that stands out for its majestic execution. Wether you'll like it or not, this is something anyone should, at least, try to better understand what's mastery in perfumery. Bravo Aurelien Guichard!

23 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 February, 2012)

jtd's avatar

The current Baghari by Aurelian Guichard is an exercise in focusing loads of otherwise disparate elements toward the same end. To be clear I’d like to add that it’s also a brilliant perfume. You’ve got white florals, aldehydes, sweet resins, citrus fruit, musk, and vanilla among other things. But rather than any of these elements simply becoming the lead note at a particular point in Baghari’s development over time, they move together to achieve this fragrance’s aim from the start, which is to smolder. We talk about perfumes having shape or telling a story. Well this bad girl has an intent. This scent doesn’t want to you notice that it’s beautiful (though it is.) It wants you to see that it has desires. To me, the whiff of Baghari is the expression of a tendency toward arousal. No need to go further down a storyline here. It’s about a state.

It’s also about appreciating delicate balances: animalic yet powdery, candied yet bitter, heightened but subtle, delicate and direct.

Also I've just been fascinated with the use of aldehydes in Baghari. Instead of adding frill or gracenotes as they often do to florals, the aldehydes here seem to shear off both ornamentation and any rough edges. There is a roundness here that is similar in shape to, but not nearly as expansive as the lactonic quality of Gucci Rush. Rush comes at you. Baghari walks past you and you turn your head before you can think.

29 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th September, 2011)

ComDiva's avatar

Reformulated or not, Baghari just SINGS on my skin. This floral chypre somehow manages to keep the powdery violet notes at bay for me... And the jasmine doesn't brown or decay. Gorgeous, elegant, and the aldehydes sparkle like champagne. I'm in love...

08 May, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

BAGHARI begins with a powdery orange icing sugar note which smells utterly delicious to me. But it rapidly drops this gourmandish facade to showcase a sophisticated blend of aldehydes, florals (orange blossom, rose, jasmine, iris), amber and vanilla. Like a refined interpretation of a 1920s classic, it is elegantly composed with a restraint somewhat unexpected from the nose behind Fracas and Bandit. An exceptionally classy, full bottle-worthy fragrance with no shortage of admirers even among diehard fans of Guerlain and Chanel.

07 November, 2009

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Oh YUM. Searing, refreshing aldehyde-burst up top (non-aldehyde lovers beware, but stick it out), followed by hooooouuuuuurs of creamy dreamy fun. A soft, soft orange chypre, BUT with loads of character and conversation, not just a fluff-fest of comforting smells at ALL. Lasts for hours and hours, easily 18 or so, and leaves a charming soft musk behind for even longer. Can turn a tad sour in heat, but what doesn't (I'm in Africa).
    Icing sugar, orange blossoms, spice and musk and aldehydes.... heaven.

06 October, 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar

Foetidus has described this one to a tee! My only disappointment ~ it fades away too quickly!

12 May, 2009

vintage*red's avatar

I made a "blind" buy of this on Ebay last winter. At that time, Baghari smelled very much like bitter hay to me. But knowing the character of many chypres, I waited until warmer weather to try again. This fragrance starts as a beautiful, unusual orange chypre and drys to a lovely powdery floral. The tart opening is so refreshing and remains somewhat intact for the drydown which is (dare I say it?)...pretty. I admire Bandit; I understand Fracas; but I love Baghari! PS robertpiguetparfums.com carries the entire line of Piguet fragrances. Free shipping and generous free samples. I think I'm in heaven...

09 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2009)

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

what a joy and what a pleasure- one of another great perfumes by robert piguet is back!great job has been done !the opening of this orange chypre! is sensational-what an explosion-this is great symphony, a real masterpiece and the responsable of the restoration has done a perfect work-congratulations!It is a spicy, warm, sensual fruity and aldehydic perfume-to me it´s fresh chypre, becoming a dark warm and powdery scent but never losing it´s complexity specially the chypre fresh note-superb and perfect composition.It´s sophisticated , unique, elegant and a really hors concours- a true masterpiece- a jewel ! It reminds me of the grat guerlain perfumes-this is an example of great parfumery-and definitely outstanding!I am so glad that piguet is back and someone like A.Guichard is able to restore this masterpiece autentically.This is smething for connaisseurs!And try bandit-another restored masterpiece.......................

09 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2010)

lovely_addiction's avatar

I completely agree with soirdelune. I'm getting this one. And, decided to try the other Piguet fragrances based solely on her review. If they have this much character and staying power, (and agree this well with me chemistry) I might become a huge fan of his.

21st March, 2009

soirdelune's avatar

Is there a single Piguet scent that I don't find utterly amazing? They're all so excitingly varied, and yet I'd wear each and every one, in a heartbeat. Baghari, for me, is a grandiose aldehyde, extravagantly flaunting that 'icing sugar' note so pronounced in this genre. At its heart is a riot of full-bodied flowers, at its base a haughty, resplendent musk. As with all Piguets, it cocks a ballsy snook at insipid 'feminines', introducing a characterful pungent accord (bitter almond?). Self-possessed, strong, but, resolutely, [I]never[/I] vulgar, Baghari is a curious, 'anti-feminine' feminine, that presents sweetness, light and flowers with citric acidity, powder and spice. As is so often lamented on these boards, they don't make 'em like this any more ...

30th January, 2009

AnnS's avatar

Baghari is a beautiful, soft, powdery orange blossom aldehyde. It is very feminine and classy. A great fragrance for all occasions, but especially those that require a special lady-like touch. The dry down is soft and very pretty. This one should definintely be tested before purchase b/c when it doesn't work on someone, it's a real tragedy. (This review is for the new release version, not the classic.)

04 December, 2008

It’s a total (and welcome) surprise for one who was expecting something in the nature of either Bandit or Fracas. Baghari is a soft, silky innocent - but - sophisticated fragrance. It has that built in innocent / sophisticated dualism, and this dualism is accomplished, I believe, by an ingenious use of the aldehydes of the opening. The light, clean, clear floral purity – bergamot, violet, neroli – is coupled to the very sophisticated aldehydes, creating an accord of clarity, sensuality, and elegance. Since the floral notes were so pure and innocent, the aldehydes addition creates an olfactory oxymoron… an innocent sophistication… a worldly-wise naiveté… It is a remarkable accomplishment and so warm and intellectually intriguing. This contradictory olfactory juxtapositioning of the opening notes is followed by the rich, abundantly floral heart that centers on a refined and luscious rose and jasmine accord… simply and beautifully classic. If it wasn’t a classic accord before it was created, it is classic now. The base is classic, too. It is powdery and musky and sweet and features iris, vanilla, amber, and musk. I get mostly musk and powder. The florals, musk, and powder make this a lovely soft feminine scent, and I’ve not smelled many as beautiful...

10th March, 2008

Profumista's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Soft elegant citrus lures you in, the rich rose blends very well with the jasmine. Next you sense the jasmine blending in with the orange blossom and vanilla. The lasting scent is that of rich rose blent with the jasmine and vanilla. The amber is so soft that it isn't noticed. Would recommend it for Daytime wear.

19 December, 2007

isisinvenus's avatar

What a beautiful scent! I have two vintage bottles full and just cannot control my urge to savor the soft beauty of this work of art. I have not put it on my skin of course due to the age, however I am planning to buy the re-release of this fragrance before the new year. I understand it has had some revamping, but I have high hopes that it gives the same feeling of warmth.

12 September, 2006