Positive Reviews of Mystère by Rochas

Find out more about Mystère by Rochas in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

TerryM's avatar
    TerryM

This is one of my all-time favorite scents. I was walking down the halls of the Smithsonian in D.C. where I worked at the time (early 80s). I kept smelling this incredible aroma and was trying to follow it to its source. I eventually traced to another employee down the hall and around the corner; I only caught the trail of the scent that she left exiting the lady's room. I cornered her and found out the name and immediately went to Garfinckel's (sadly RIP) angdbought a bottle, a big splurge on my income at the time. It has been in my scent wardrobe ever since, even thought it was discontinued for a while and then resurrected (hate the new bottle). Warm, dark, woodsy and slightly herbaceous, mysterious and slightly possibly dangerous. You don't wear this to an early AM meeting; too heavy. But once the sun goes down . . . . a very ambery scent, and a brave man could wear this as well.

03 September, 2011

Johannes's avatar
    Johannes
    Norway Norway

Incredibly complex, but still collected, bouquet. Absolutely unique and, well...mysterious. Mystère makes you dream.

29 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2012)

euphoropia's avatar
    euphoropia

I adore this classic, warm, chypre scent. I hope someone resurrects it!

30th September, 2009

Lisaandtheword's avatar
    Lisaandtheword

Unique, deep dark oriental, also seems like chypre. Spicy oomph at first, exotic & not too sweet. Tames down, a little.. dries to a cobalt blue silkiness, with rich dark wood underneath. pretty good sillage & duration. Drydown reminds me of Knowing- cool dark woods & flowers w/soft musk. But this has alot more pizazz! 2nd try- Full moon clear sky kind of feel.. not so soft & cozy, more moody. I love this but just for once in a while.

02 December, 2007

margi's avatar
    margi
    England England

I first wore this when I was 21 and considered myself very grown up and chic. Then it was one of the most mysterious frags I had used. It seemed very chic and french as FroFro commented. I recently began to use it again now I am in my 40's and found that either it had changed or possibly I had grown up. I found it mildly sickly and shallow. Still woody but also too sweet! I was disappointed and still grieving as I had lots of lovely memories wearing this frag. I won't buy it again, just good to remember it as it was. For those trying it first time, try before you buy. Goodbye old friend!!!

05 April, 2007

lefay's avatar
    lefay

The first time I smelled this out of the bottle, my jaw fell open. Perfect, I thought; ethereal. It's a classic mossy chypre, a wooded glade at twilight. But it also seems to vary dramatically on my skin from application to application -- sometimes soft, sometimes sharp -- so I can only wear it occasionally. It can also have a similarly disturbing effect on my mood as Mitsouko, which I still consider a masterpiece. Unusual and elusive. Love the oblique bottle, and the black oblique cap.

13 February, 2006

FroFro's avatar
    FroFro

I got this one as a gift when I was around 20, and, surprizingly, loved it even then (this is a mature scent, not really suitable for young girls). After that, I've bought it with some regularity (last time about a year ago, I guess).

I'd describe this as "very French"; it does tend to be somewhat strong, so use sparingly if you're not into heavy scents.

It's an oriental woody; bergamot, tangerine and ylang-ylang, blended with notes of vanilla, musk and amber. None of those really stand out on me, so I end up with a very nicely blended scent, not immediately identifiable. They really balance each other out very well.

04 February, 2006