Positive Reviews of Madame Rochas (new) by Rochas

Find out more about Madame Rochas (new) by Rochas in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

JackTwist's avatar

MADAME ROCHAS – Rochas – 1960 [floral/honey rose chypre]

This is a heady combination of Schiaparelli’s SHOCKING and Brosseau’s later and lighter OMBRE ROSE. Heady dry rose with a leathery honey mix. Wonderful for a summer afternoon – everyone will flock to you, including yourself.

Top Notes: Hyacinth, Neroli, Lemon, Orange Blossom, Broom, Honeysuckle, Bergamot
    Middle Notes: Bulgarian Rose, Rose de Mai, Jasmine, Muguet, Violet, Narcissus, Orris, Tuberose, Ylang Ylang
    Base Notes: Amber, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Moss, Vetiver, Musk, Tonka Bean, Benzoin, Coumarin

01st May, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I will start off by saying that I'm 20 years old, and I love this scent. Madame Rochas is sophisticated, sensual, sexy and alluring. I was actually rather surprised that this had aldehydic notes, because to my nose I got a lot of spicyness and flowers.

The scent is warm and distinctive. It exudes elegance and control. When settled on the skin the scent becomes powdery, but not sharp or soapy. The scent mantains its spicyness from beginning to end.

I love that Madame Rochas manages to match the class and distinction of Chanel fragrances, but still remains affordable.

While wearing this scent, I can guarantee that people will observe you for having impeccable taste. This scent defines you as a woman. Madame Rochas is a classic scent from the mid 1900's that every woman should have added to her collection.

26th April, 2011

Circe's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Tried this almost 20 years ago and felt too young for it. Maybe now I've grown up enough to wear this very sophisticated scent.

26th November, 2009

Basak's avatar

Old fashioned, a bit heavy but absolutely not for very young women. I have finished two bottles with my mother and decided that I was too young for it. I WAS young : ) Now I can use it maybe : )
    I suits my skin perfectly. If you are trying for the first time give it a time..

Still love it. And recommend it.

Lovely bottle which screams : "I am a Perfuuume"

26th August, 2009

Bernice's avatar

What you would expect to smell when enveloped in the arms of your Nanna or favourite great aunt. It is elegant, romantic, sweet, haunting, seductively beautiful. My favourite scent.

28th July, 2009

perfumista's avatar

I bought this because it was in fact said to be inspired by the Chanel line. I found it to be quite different on me. I find the Chanels to be very aldehydic even in the greener 19. MR was a blast of floral that quickly died down to a very animalic chypre. Not used to this type of perfume, I didn't quite know what to make of it, but soon grew to love it.

MR :

Bulgarian Rose, Iris, Jasmine, Rose De Mai, Cedar, Sandalwood and Incense.

10th April, 2009

's avatar

I have no issues with the current formula. It seems more plastic in the introduction phase, a little "soapier" in the start, but this is a soapy scent, and I love good soap. In fact, when I first spritz it, I am always thinking of the perfect bar of soap... perhaps a startling, memorable discovery, in the most stately, historic Italian hotel, of a luxuriant bar of impossibly unique soap in the lavatory.

The drydown is the real treasure, though. A really dizzying, luxurious and sensuous thing. It's amazingly evocative lingering on clothing, and its sillage is extremely enduring.

Oddly, I don't wear this out often. I think because I like to keep it almost a secret, or I am so enamored of it, I exalt it too much ... like a perfect vintage silk garment.

It is very ladylike, and I really 'feel' the intentions of Guy Robert when I smell it. What a dashing yet luscious, willful yet poised, sexy and coy woman he had in mind!

01st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2009)

newgabe's avatar

Madame Rochas moves straight to the powdery dry down of Cabochard (Parfum Gres) but without some of its leathery/leafy complexity. I would find this a simple and honest scent for every day wear, which competely avoids the horrors of chemical melons, plastic flower bombs and other contemporary attempts at 'perfume'

14th September, 2008

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I got the possibility to smell both Madame Rochas and Rochas Femme once, and the one of these perfumes that suited my skin was Madame Rochas. So I had to have a bottle of her. I never regereted that, it is a very easy-to-wear-fragance, and still interesting. It is available at a very good price, too.

I red at a perfume-blog on Internet, that this frag is as the perfume for Jaqueline Kennedy. And I do agree. It is truly beautiful, and not at all "old".

Don´t let the namne stop you from trying Madame Rochas. It is a lower-price-alternative to Chanel No 19, at least to my nose!

Madame R getst two thumbs up from me!

20th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th June, 2008)

mermaid's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Charming? Elegant? Maybe. But Madame Rochas is also a dirty, dirty girl, though admittedly d'une certaine age.

I tried this in the wonderful Haute Parfumerie in Harrods. I opined that this was, actually and surprisingly, rather fab. My guide for the day, a charming and knowledgable young man, said nothing. It was a diplomatic silence, but he is young, and could not, I think, help looking ever so slightly pained. So clearly this scent is not for everyone.

But I liked Madame Rochas; I recognised her; and will visit her again soon. As we say in Ireland, aithnin ciarog, ciarog eile.

15th November, 2007

kaori's avatar

This is the scent of "true lady" elegant, charming, and delicate. I fell in love with Madame Rochas and still loving it.

19th January, 2007

Indiscreet's avatar

My mother used to wear this - funny you should say that, Goda, since she made costumes for opera and ballet, and married an opera singer.

19th January, 2007

Goda's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Absolutely charming. My current scent, I adore it. It's elegant, but bold. Reminds me of shady old halls at the opera and ballet theatre

22nd October, 2006

lefay's avatar

I'm not sure which version I own, but since I bought it a couple of years ago I'll assume it's the new one. My husband thinks this smells like soap, but to my nose this is an utterly elegant, classic French floral with a woody, slightly powdery drydown (and I'm not generally a fan of powdery scents). Beautifully put together. Reminds me a bit of Arpege, which has more wood and less powder but the same sort of classic French construction.

09th November, 2005