Negative Reviews of Lavande Royale by Roger & Gallet

Find out more about Lavande Royale by Roger & Gallet in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Algharb's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Is THIS something? Sorry, what? Can't figure out nothing... And I bought it blind (and left nose at home...) expecting to find some classic-old-good stuf...! Nonsense. Gonna give it to my mother-in-law (84yo)... expecting she already lost her nose !

20th November, 2008

This is a lavender fragrance of eau de cologne strength... As a straight forward lavender scent, it should present a more impressive lavender note: the one presented is rather lifeless and bland. It's not a bad version, but it simply should have a little more character. The main note comes off as lacking in nuance and delicacy. Lavande Royale also lacks longevity... I mean it is even shorter lasting than the typical citrus splash cologne. While the lavender note lasts, the sillage is quite good.

This is not a terrible fragrance, it just could have much more going for it than its very reasonable price. I am an avid fan of several of the Roger & Gallet light colognes - ginger, vetiver, and Jean Marie Farina - but this one doesn't work for me. For someone who wants a superior light lavender cologne, I would recommend Cauldey Island Lavender.

23rd August, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th September, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

I love the smell of lavender, especially fresh lavender. Lavande Royale has none of that. This reminds me of the Jimi Hendrix song, “Purple Haze.” This is a dense, thick cloud of scent; it is the fragrance equivalent of Jimi’s cascading cloud of notes. If a man may express an opinion on a women’s fragrance, I’d suggest lavender lovers need to keep looking. R&G has some lovely scents, I don’t think this is one of them.

06th March, 2007