Positive Reviews of Melograno by Santa Maria Novella

Find out more about Melograno by Santa Maria Novella in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

The top note is fruity with a hint of pomegranate and a floral note. Layer, a gentle sweetish wood note is added, and the drydown has a gentle powdery note, milder and more elegant than a typical English barbershop impression. It can project well, lasts about three hours on me and evokes connotations with leisure time and romance. An elegant summer evening dinner scent, conservative but with a unique combination of several disparate notes that combine to a successful total. Try before you buy.

02 June, 2012

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

There seems to be no pomegranate in this fragrance and I am not sure whether I should be happy with relief ( because I am not sure about pomegranate in perfume ! ) or displeased .
    Immediately perufmey and soapy,turning slightly powdery. Very classical perfumeactually. Strong, long lasting.
    This smells like a cross between Hermes' Caleche Soie de Parfum and Chanel No.5 . But more towards Caleche.
    Good stuff.

18 May, 2010

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

For so many years I have tried to imagine what a perfect fragrance would smell like. Hundreds of scents have stroked my nose, some of them were gentle and smooth, others were rough and sharp. Some were classic, other were odd and innovative. From florals to fougeres, from citruses to orientals, all of them had something to offer, but none of them had everything to offer.

I have now found an almost perfect fragrance... Melograno. This has one of the most divine mixes of lush flowers and fruits, with slightly smoky undertones (in my opinion, not the best choice to yoke with the floral/fruity character of the fragrance) perceivable throughout the entire development of the fragrance. The typical SMN odd, harsh notes, combined with a clean barbershop note, could label this fragrance as an "original classic". There are very few fragrances that can claim that label, and even fewer produce such a contradictory, but absolutely wonderful effect.

Melograno is not just to be worn, but to be enjoyed, savoured from the first strong, bold opening notes, through the intoxicating fruity-floral mid notes, ending up with the smooth and sophisticated dry-down.

06 September, 2009

lizzie_j's avatar

I think my sample is mislabeled! I don't find this scent weird or even unusual. My nose almost immediately gets the fragrance of a very exclusive, powdery, white bar of soap. Italian, expensive, hand poured, exquisitely scented, and sold in an exclusive department store like Nieman's or Barneys, but soap nonetheless. It's quite beautiful, really, but not my cup of tea.

29 December, 2008

jimmyfresno's avatar

I do agree with the above reviewers that this fragrance is aldehylic and somewhat powdery and there is no pomegranate (melograno) to be found, however I do find it to be leathery because of a big dose of isobutyl quinoline, which is where the "synthetic" reviews and smokiness might come from. I equate it with a clumsier take on vintage bandit, still it has its cozy aspects. The florals are so blurred it is hard to name them, and there's some citrus in the mess. This review makes it sound horrible, which it's not, it's my favorite SMN next to aqua di colonia, but still I don't reach for it often, and never in warm weather.

30th November, 2008

supermarky's avatar

comme des garcons has nothing on santa maria novella for weirdness...

the dry down of this is nice, and incenselike, I think.

but the whole thing is "out there" for sure...!

01st November, 2006

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

This one starts fruity-fresh and bittersweet, the drydown is floral and a bit powdery. IMO Melograno is more on the masculine side. The pomegranate accords are quite unique and for sure not everybody's cup of tea - so try it befor you purchase. Good staying power. I personally love it, it's a good choice for summer evenings.

19 August, 2005