Reviews of À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral

À la Nuit is a sweet indolic jasmine scent with a certain intense clarity about its structure. It shares this clear, focused character with two other Sheldrake-Lutens floral compositions: Un Lys and Sa Majesté la Rose, but the more potent indoles in its jasmine make it a more heady, decadent, and indulgent perfume. À la Nuit rests on a sweet vanillic base that's common among Lutens fragrances, but this version is less oppressively viscous than some of the house's heavier orientals. À la Nuit is one of the more enjoyable jasmine soliflores I've tried, especially because it displays plenty of depth without becoming cloying.

09 June, 2014

Girly Tomboy's avatar

I have not had much success with Serge Lutens but ordered a sample of this and received it today, opening it with great expectation due to so many positive reviews. I have wonderful jasmine in my yard that is blooming and wanted a fragrance that captured the sweet, heady fragrance. Unfortunately, A la Nuit falls far short for me. Instead of sweet I get sharp, instead of light I get dark and musty. I smell something like lime and old gardenia mixed with a burnt popcorn aroma. I think it could be that the base used in Serge Lutens is simply not compatible with my skin chemistry as the scent in the sample does smell better.

10th May, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

A very clear and sparkling jasmine that is uplifting and true to the essential oil. In fact it reminds me of this Egyptian Jasmine I brought back from Cairo for my girlfriend many years ago.

There is also a hint of green making the jasmine smell fresh like it's just been plucked from a bush. Great if you love your jasmine straight up without other notes. But may be lacking if you expect more complexity from your fragrance.

Great jasmine though!

18 March, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

The scent of Jasmine is alluring enough as it is, but the flower gardens in my native Cyprus just OOZE of Jasmine after dark. The baking hot sunshine that radiates on the flowers during the day causes the aroma to be released ten fold at night, in my opinion.
    This is my first Serge and Lutens fragrance and is quite an amazing one. You don't need a lot, as the scent is quite concentrated as it is. Just a spritz and you can expect it to last all day. This scent amazes me by how "close" to the real thing it really is. I feel like I have my face buried in a flower bed of jasmine plants when this is down to the heart notes.

09 January, 2014

Nefret's avatar

Jasmine, jasmine jasmine jasmine. It's like thrusting your face into jasmine and getting a blossom into your mouth. Not quite choking on it, but you're transported there, via your nose. Perhaps a little high-pitched for some, but in the spring, or when you're dying for it to be spring, it is exquisite. A touch of indole to make the jasmine more photorealistic, with a tiny bit of musk to carry it along.

I love Big White Florals, but I find this one to be a bit too much for work. I can wear it all day long on my days off. Drops off pretty sharply about 5 hours after application, so I reapply.

12 March, 2013

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

I thought Nuda by Nasomatto was the business when it comes to jasmine but wowzah .... A La Nuit is THE Queen of the Jasmine Scents .
    It is not that I have never tried A La Nuit before but I have always tried it when I was busying bingeing on other scents at the same time.

Out of this world bell like sweet white flowered happiness of the jasmine blooming at night . It heaves and sighs JASMINE.

The honey muskiness at the end is deliciously addictive and complements the jasmine oh so well - never distracts from the purity of this soliflore.
    Slightly indolic- just a touch compared to Joy EDP - it is a baby in the indolic dept.
    Tenacity is not so great to b e honest . A La Nuit is a heavy hitter in the first 30 min - 1 hr. Strong jasmine and you will not mistake this for anything else. Then it all quietens down to a fairly light fragrance on me - persistent but light.
    100 % a great choice for jasmine . In fact get 2 bottles.

02 August, 2012

Emily's avatar

I love jasmine, so naturally I love A la Nuit. Jasmine haters be warned.

This is a blunt, modern jasmine that is relatively indolic, but not as indolic as jasmine heavyweight Nuda by Nassamatto. This is a glowing yet sheer jasmine more forgiving, but not as forgiving as Blush by Marc Jacobs which is so sweet it's almost bug spray.

A la Nuit is a persian princess's garden on steroids. It's almost a soliflore in that it doesn't morph as much as the other Lutens. You just keep getting jasmine over and over. It's actually quite wearable on a hot day and definitely brightened by humidity.

I am disappointed in the staying power though and do suggest you rely on wearing it off of places where it doesn't rub away easily, like the wrist. In the elbow crease, on the shoulders and in the hair would be better.

03 May, 2012

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

The early minutes of the scent a sour note stands so high that besides jasmin i feel like some orange flowers and some gardenia is clearly there. Later jasmine grows to be more jasmine but still acidic more than indolic.
    I have some arabic jasmine growing on my porch which i admire. When it is on full bloom it has such an earthy animalistic note that my mum cannot belive jasmine is blameworty but my cat is. so i like jasmine as it is ; earthy or indolic or dirty. This jasmine is too clean for my taste. I cannot get any honey or musk. ı find nothing positive or negative about this scent. People with ambivalant feelings about jasmine should give a try.

29 April, 2012

Dernier_Cri's avatar

A la Nuit starts spectacularly and then undergoes a rapid devolution through the seven stages of fragrance doubt. Well not really there are no seven stages of fragrance doubt that I know of, but A la Nuit as it dries down does bump and thump it's way downward. The opening is a great balanced accord of pretty jasmine and the right amount of musk underneath and that will be as good as it gets. In a short time the fragrance reaches the dreaded "old lady perfume" stage where I start having serious doubts that any male other than Quentin Crisp could pull this one off....not even Mr. Crisp now considering. As the jasmine continues it's pitiable fade it submits to a leathery tryranny of musk and with the jasmine leaving I lose interest. Jasmine Full by Montale a scent I relish is another jasmine that does an ignominious fade but in Jasmine Full's case as it dies it's slow or not so slow death it stay true to it's lovely jasmine heart.

29 December, 2011

JackTwist's avatar

Superb rendition of pure jasmine - for both men and women. On men it will mix with body oils to "masculinize" it - is that a word? - in about an hour. Long lasting - an evening's worth easily.

This is the sort of cologne one would expect a gorgeous Northern Italian model to wear - Botticelli face and form - soft, gentle, yet quietly masculine and refined.l

This is at the same time both the king and queen of jasmine scents.

10th May, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Oriental-spicy floral with a bunch of diverse varieties of jasmine spread along the trip as an olfactory backbone surrounded by spices, balsams and resins, with a green-citrus presence at the opening and in the base. Further a star jasmine the key elements are honey and cloves with their sweet-spicy-bitter accord. The composition is oriental but in an exotic way because of several spicy fruits and green elements. The strong spicy presence provides a slightly bitter undertone to the sweetness and balsams. There is a touch of exotic sultriness in the final outcome that turns the concoction out wearable even in the tropical climates. I detect some fruits in the dry down side by side with flowers, woodsy musk and balsams (honey, vanilla, benzoin). This is basically a feminine creation less dense and deep than Chergui or Fumerie Turque but with notable sillage and longevity.

18 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 February, 2014)

teardrop's avatar

England England

I really ought to love this, but sadly as with other Lutens fragrances l've tried, the sillage is poor & it only lasts about an hour on me. lt's a warm, yet green jasmine, with honey & benzoin in the base. lt's very pretty, but l like my jasmine much more in-your-face, so for me this doesn't come close to Montale's Jasmin Full.

02 February, 2011

BlondeDiva71's avatar

I tried this scent when I ran out of Creed's Jasmal and before I got hooked on Love, Tears, Surrender by Kilian. Funny thing is..although they're all indolic scents they all smell slightly different! I found A la Nuit to definitely be a Jasmine scent however I seem to detect either a note of Gardenia or Lily of the Valley in it. Beautiful..just different! Also the animalic notes make it different than other "fresh" Jasmine scents...like a night-blooming Jasmine @ midnight in the heat of Summer. Pretty but I've smelled others I like more!!

03 December, 2010

nonnative's avatar

Years ago I was in Egypt and I loved a nice scent I perceived in the garden of the hotel. I later discovered it was a tree of jasmine, indian jasmine. When I first smelled A la nuit it struk me how a perfect reproduction of indian jasmine it was!! True jasmine at night, when the heat of the day leaves space to the fresh wind of a parfumed egyptian night. Perhaps the only problem of this Lutens is that I would not spend so much for a soliflore.

31st May, 2010

moss1310's avatar

There isn't much to say about A la Nuit except that is an amazing, intoxicating, modern rendition of Jasmine. It isn't the sweet, powdery jasmine that so many scents mimic. It is indolic, forceful, cool summer at dawn jasmine. I find it to be a completely acceptable unisex floral as well. One of my SL favorites.

14 April, 2010

scent's avatar

Qatar Qatar

Jasmine loaded with indoles and an animalic base similiar to Joy parfum. I find it to be quite sharp and assertive. Sillage and longevity are insane. I prefer Lutens other jasmine, Sarassins, to A la Nuit's jasmine orgy.

12 April, 2010

*bloomy*'s avatar

After several tries, I came to the same conclusion as Nukapai and Diamondflame. This is a gorgeous pure jasmine frag, but I think I prefer my jasmine in real plant form or perhaps mixed in with other notes. And while I think A La Nuit is lovely, well made and I desperately wanted to be able to wear it, I cannot. The underlying skatole component gives this one a slight putrid tendency that, like a close talker with bad breath, I just can't ignore.

09 March, 2010

MFJ's avatar

This is my Holy Grail Jasmine scent. Marketed for women, but extremely unisex. I am not even a devout jasmine fan to begin with, but A La Nuit is really something else. Thick concentrated jasmine lying on top of a slightly dusty animalic bed of incense.

07 January, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I have low tolerance for indoles and I find Lutens' soliforeal rendition of the jasmine flower a tad too indolic to enjoy as a wearable skin scent. Others may disagree but in my books, À LA NUIT falls a couple of rungs short of the enchantment real jasmine weaves in the fabric of the evening.

12 December, 2009

vintage*red's avatar

A la Nuit is reference jasmine. It is an astute study of the jasmine flower from opening bud to decaying blossom. It is in no way "death by jasmine" as The Guide states; it is a true jasmine fragrance with a bright start and a dark finish. Longevity is moderate. At Serge Luten prices, this is for the jasmine lover (not the "jasmine liker"). There are so many lovely jasmine perfume oils and fragrances (La Haie Fleurie) that I probably will never make a purchase of this one to satisfy my occasional jasmine craving. But, in my opinion, this is the epitome of jasmine and a must for those who are passionate about jasmine. PS I could not get this one out of my mind! And with the new regulations (and my recent retry of the new La Haie), I scored an old bottle of this stuff...because it IS reference jasmine.

24 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2010)

Cute_cute_baby's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

This is the 1st fragrance that I can smell real jasmine in it. Jasmine is my favorite and what I'd imagined before I actually took a sniff was a beautiful summery jasmine that I smell in my small "garden" on the balcony. But sadly, À la Nuit is not as summery as I expected.
    It is all about jasmine for sure, but like jasmine still on the branch with green buds, and then comes along musk. The dry down smells so alike Fleurs de Citronniers, except it's jasmine in stead of lemon blossom.
    To be honest, the juice smells like the ink of penpoint pen I used in childhood and this is not ok...haha. I'm not satisfied with it.

06 October, 2009

Lexie's avatar

I really, really wanted to love this (I even almost purchased it blindly) but when I finally sampled it... my hopes were dashed. The top notes are incredible, strong and lovely jasmine indeed. It reminds me of the times I'd bury my nose in the jasmine flowers that grew next to my hotel in Greece. But the fragrance quickly turns wrong on my skin. It still resembles a jasmine scent, but unpleasantly soapy and old. I give this a neutral rating because 1. I had such high hopes and I am sure I will continue trying with this fragrance and 2. the top notes are stunning.

06 September, 2009

Aznavour's avatar

Exactly as described: the jasmine to end all jasmines. Would've been perfect except I dislike the drydown, which to me is like a resiny honeyed musk.

18 August, 2009

Maya's avatar

When I first tried it I felt like I was in heaven!THIS IS REAL JASMINE!It reminds me of home,the smell of a summer hot night in my jasmine garden!The drydown is really beautifull and warm because of the musk.It is my first Lutens but not the Last.If you like jasmine,this is the purest jasmine for you to try!

16 July, 2009

missylee's avatar

Beautiful and simple, charming and very feminine. Innocent, and pure. Love it!

15 July, 2009

Fragranza's avatar

Germany Germany

Simply the best jasmine fragrance I know.

27 May, 2009

purplebird7's avatar

Full-on jasmine that smells more “real” than many jasmine absolutes. It has a green quality and an extreme, fruity sweetness that exemplifies the most expensive jasmine extracts. This is a strong, heady, airy, totally floral jasmine devoid of any off-putting indolic notes. Jasmine lovers must try this unabashed soliflore. It is simply brathtaking and unapologetically straightforward, a true celebration of that flower that anyone who loves jasmine will flip over.

09 January, 2009

MsElleEmme's avatar

I wore A la Nuit on my wedding day, 2 years ago today on Hamilton Island (a tropical island in Australia). I bought it specifically for that day. It was absolutely perfect for the occasion. Now whenever I smell it, it reminds me of the island and the whole experience. I recommend any bride do this - with any chosen perfume - that way you always associate that smell with the day and sometimes smells can bring back memories better than photos.

And whoever said men don't like A la Nuit is wrong. My husband loves it, I think it's simplicity is perfect for men, on a woman. It's not androgenous to me at all, but each to their own.

25 November, 2008

slademd's avatar

I finally got my own bottle of Serge Lutens A la Nuit after spraying samples of this at Blue Mercury. It is an amazing jasmine scent. Complex, the scent stays close to the skin and forms a sexy layer underneath your clothes. It is sweet without being girly. Definitely a woman's smell! The sillage is great and in the drydown, the floral notes remain very strong, mixing with my body chemistry to give a sensual flower aura. It is my new favorite! I sometimes layer in underneath Jo Malone's Red Roses if i want a big flower scent and it becomes my floral musk layer. It is a sweet sensual floral. A masterpiece!

24 November, 2008

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

If you think this is unisex, then anything must go. Extremely feminine to my nose, bright straighforward jasmine. Very fresh with animalic undertones. In colors, this is a pink fragrance with white backround. One of the worst scents ever to be smelled when you have a hangover - believe me.

Men, stay away. This is a nice romantic scent for women. For evening wear, and remember to be careful on the trigger.

16 September, 2008