Positive Reviews of À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Salutation.

Have you ever walked by a beautiful jasmine bush in full bloom and wished you could carry that scent with you always?well,now you can.This scent hast captured everything lovely about the precious white flower and when i close my eyes,it takes my back to my childhood when the scent of our huge jasmine bush would waft through my bedroom window at night in the spring. Fresh, Delicate,Florl,Natural,Seductive and Gorgeous.

A LA NUIT is essence of white flowers especially Jasmine,it is the most feminine of scents.This Oriental-Floral scent mixes clove and grenadine with green notes and flirty jasmine and honey blended with seductive musk and benzoin,create an excellent experience of sheer bliss for the fortunate wearer. It is soft, delicate flowery and subtle,a blend of aroma that is so fresh.

A LA NUIT is truly enjoyable and lovely.This perfume is perfect to wear during in the evening and especially fitting for a special date.It can be worn for anytime of year above all for Spring and Summer evening.Always a great pick-me-up even during the long cold days of winter!If you are a fan of jasmine, this is the perfume for you.Highly recommend for a elegant lady.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?+4 Hours on my skin.

01st June, 2015
I decided to try A La Nuit after reading various blogs and articles about Indolic perfumes. The name kept popping up and it piqued my curiosity since, though I've probably smelled indolic scents, I'm not sure I could identify which ones are or aren't. So, I bought a sample based on the name alone, without even knowing what was in this. I assumed it was either jasmine or other white florals of some kind - I just wanted to see what made this different from other white florals. If it truly was 'dirty' or 'fecal'...

Right off the bat, it's a very powerful scent. A sweet and smoky burst of jasmine, accompanied by pleasant green notes. I'm still not sure I understand indoles, but what I do get out of A La Nuit is a very believable, deep floral experience. It's like sniffing actual jasmine in a dewy, grassy field. But those green, grassy notes quickly dissipate and it develops into something much sultrier.

Whew, there's that smoke again! I can tell it's the cloves causing the back of my throat to tingle, because it's exactly the same sensation as being around second-hand smoke from clove cigarettes. (Which luckily reminds me of my late teens, hanging around in clovey smoke-filled concert venues). That smoky quality also dies down a little bit, and leaves just a lingering trail of smoke and spice, like an incense stick burning out. Ahh...

If this indeed features indoles, fear not - this isn't fecal at all. Is it 'dirty'? Well, maybe in the way that soil can have a rich, pleasing earthy scent. Also worth noting - various types of African/Indian jasmine were used in this composition, and it shows. It's absolutely exotic and fascinating.
30th April, 2015
The first moment I sprayed this, I got scared that I wouldn't enjoy it because of an odd watery synthetic smell, but that was gone in seconds and what was left was a near-perfect recreation of the smell of blooming jasmine. It grows wild in Italy and Croatia so the smell transported me vividly to memories of being there. It lasted forever too. I easily got over 12 hours and a lot of those hours were projecting pretty strongly. This is fresh, bright jasmine and seemed pretty much linear on me aside for a gentle softening over time--the vanilla in the base never becomes too noticeable. Very feminine but I'm confident enough with my masculinity that I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable wearing a very gentle touch of it out of the house. Needless to say though, stay far away if you want to smell masculine or if you're a man and want to blend in. Any woman who loves florals would smell great wearing this.
20th December, 2014

Genre: Floral

À la Nuit is a sweet indolic jasmine scent with a certain intense clarity about its structure. It shares this clear, focused character with two other Sheldrake-Lutens floral compositions: Un Lys and Sa Majesté la Rose, but the more potent indoles in its jasmine make it a more heady, decadent, and indulgent perfume. À la Nuit rests on a sweet vanillic base that's common among Lutens fragrances, but this version is less oppressively viscous than some of the house's heavier orientals. À la Nuit is one of the more enjoyable jasmine soliflores I've tried, especially because it displays plenty of depth without becoming cloying.
09th June, 2014
A very clear and sparkling jasmine that is uplifting and true to the essential oil. In fact it reminds me of this Egyptian Jasmine I brought back from Cairo for my girlfriend many years ago.

There is also a hint of green making the jasmine smell fresh like it's just been plucked from a bush. Great if you love your jasmine straight up without other notes. But may be lacking if you expect more complexity from your fragrance.

Great jasmine though!
18th March, 2014
The scent of Jasmine is alluring enough as it is, but the flower gardens in my native Cyprus just OOZE of Jasmine after dark. The baking hot sunshine that radiates on the flowers during the day causes the aroma to be released ten fold at night, in my opinion.
This is my first Serge and Lutens fragrance and is quite an amazing one. You don't need a lot, as the scent is quite concentrated as it is. Just a spritz and you can expect it to last all day. This scent amazes me by how "close" to the real thing it really is. I feel like I have my face buried in a flower bed of jasmine plants when this is down to the heart notes.
09th January, 2014
Nefret Show all reviews
Jasmine, jasmine jasmine jasmine. It's like thrusting your face into jasmine and getting a blossom into your mouth. Not quite choking on it, but you're transported there, via your nose. Perhaps a little high-pitched for some, but in the spring, or when you're dying for it to be spring, it is exquisite. A touch of indole to make the jasmine more photorealistic, with a tiny bit of musk to carry it along.

I love Big White Florals, but I find this one to be a bit too much for work. I can wear it all day long on my days off. Drops off pretty sharply about 5 hours after application, so I reapply.
12th March, 2013
I thought Nuda by Nasomatto was the business when it comes to jasmine but wowzah .... A La Nuit is THE Queen of the Jasmine Scents .
It is not that I have never tried A La Nuit before but I have always tried it when I was busying bingeing on other scents at the same time.

Out of this world bell like sweet white flowered happiness of the jasmine blooming at night . It heaves and sighs JASMINE.

The honey muskiness at the end is deliciously addictive and complements the jasmine oh so well - never distracts from the purity of this soliflore.
Slightly indolic- just a touch compared to Joy EDP - it is a baby in the indolic dept.
Tenacity is not so great to b e honest . A La Nuit is a heavy hitter in the first 30 min - 1 hr. Strong jasmine and you will not mistake this for anything else. Then it all quietens down to a fairly light fragrance on me - persistent but light.
100 % a great choice for jasmine . In fact get 2 bottles.
02nd August, 2012
Emily Show all reviews
I love jasmine, so naturally I love A la Nuit. Jasmine haters be warned.

This is a blunt, modern jasmine that is relatively indolic, but not as indolic as jasmine heavyweight Nuda by Nassamatto. This is a glowing yet sheer jasmine more forgiving, but not as forgiving as Blush by Marc Jacobs which is so sweet it's almost bug spray.

A la Nuit is a persian princess's garden on steroids. It's almost a soliflore in that it doesn't morph as much as the other Lutens. You just keep getting jasmine over and over. It's actually quite wearable on a hot day and definitely brightened by humidity.

I am disappointed in the staying power though and do suggest you rely on wearing it off of places where it doesn't rub away easily, like the wrist. In the elbow crease, on the shoulders and in the hair would be better.
03rd May, 2012
Superb rendition of pure jasmine - for both men and women. On men it will mix with body oils to "masculinize" it - is that a word? - in about an hour. Long lasting - an evening's worth easily.

This is the sort of cologne one would expect a gorgeous Northern Italian model to wear - Botticelli face and form - soft, gentle, yet quietly masculine and refined.l

This is at the same time both the king and queen of jasmine scents.
10th May, 2011
Years ago I was in Egypt and I loved a nice scent I perceived in the garden of the hotel. I later discovered it was a tree of jasmine, indian jasmine. When I first smelled A la nuit it struk me how a perfect reproduction of indian jasmine it was!! True jasmine at night, when the heat of the day leaves space to the fresh wind of a parfumed egyptian night. Perhaps the only problem of this Lutens is that I would not spend so much for a soliflore.
31st May, 2010
There isn't much to say about A la Nuit except that is an amazing, intoxicating, modern rendition of Jasmine. It isn't the sweet, powdery jasmine that so many scents mimic. It is indolic, forceful, cool summer at dawn jasmine. I find it to be a completely acceptable unisex floral as well. One of my SL favorites.
14th April, 2010
This is my Holy Grail Jasmine scent. Marketed for women, but extremely unisex. I am not even a devout jasmine fan to begin with, but A La Nuit is really something else. Thick concentrated jasmine lying on top of a slightly dusty animalic bed of incense.
07th January, 2010

A la Nuit is reference jasmine. It is an astute study of the jasmine flower from opening bud to decaying blossom. It is in no way "death by jasmine" as The Guide states; it is a true jasmine fragrance with a bright start and a dark finish. Longevity is moderate. At Serge Luten prices, this is for the jasmine lover (not the "jasmine liker"). There are so many lovely jasmine perfume oils and fragrances (La Haie Fleurie) that I probably will never make a purchase of this one to satisfy my occasional jasmine craving. But, in my opinion, this is the epitome of jasmine and a must for those who are passionate about jasmine. PS I could not get this one out of my mind! And with the new regulations (and my recent retry of the new La Haie), I scored an old bottle of this stuff...because it IS reference jasmine.
24th October, 2009 (last edited: 30th March, 2010)
Exactly as described: the jasmine to end all jasmines. Would've been perfect except I dislike the drydown, which to me is like a resiny honeyed musk.
18th August, 2009
When I first tried it I felt like I was in heaven!THIS IS REAL JASMINE!It reminds me of home,the smell of a summer hot night in my jasmine garden!The drydown is really beautifull and warm because of the musk.It is my first Lutens but not the Last.If you like jasmine,this is the purest jasmine for you to try!
16th July, 2009
Beautiful and simple, charming and very feminine. Innocent, and pure. Love it!
15th July, 2009
Simply the best jasmine fragrance I know.
27th May, 2009
Full-on jasmine that smells more “real” than many jasmine absolutes. It has a green quality and an extreme, fruity sweetness that exemplifies the most expensive jasmine extracts. This is a strong, heady, airy, totally floral jasmine devoid of any off-putting indolic notes. Jasmine lovers must try this unabashed soliflore. It is simply brathtaking and unapologetically straightforward, a true celebration of that flower that anyone who loves jasmine will flip over.

09th January, 2009
I wore A la Nuit on my wedding day, 2 years ago today on Hamilton Island (a tropical island in Australia). I bought it specifically for that day. It was absolutely perfect for the occasion. Now whenever I smell it, it reminds me of the island and the whole experience. I recommend any bride do this - with any chosen perfume - that way you always associate that smell with the day and sometimes smells can bring back memories better than photos.

And whoever said men don't like A la Nuit is wrong. My husband loves it, I think it's simplicity is perfect for men, on a woman. It's not androgenous to me at all, but each to their own.
25th November, 2008
I finally got my own bottle of Serge Lutens A la Nuit after spraying samples of this at Blue Mercury. It is an amazing jasmine scent. Complex, the scent stays close to the skin and forms a sexy layer underneath your clothes. It is sweet without being girly. Definitely a woman's smell! The sillage is great and in the drydown, the floral notes remain very strong, mixing with my body chemistry to give a sensual flower aura. It is my new favorite! I sometimes layer in underneath Jo Malone's Red Roses if i want a big flower scent and it becomes my floral musk layer. It is a sweet sensual floral. A masterpiece!
24th November, 2008
A wearable jasmine scent! Almost all jasmine scents do something funky and evil on my skin, but this is truly gorgeous. More green than sweet, the jasmine rings like crystal. Pronounced yet, I want to say sheer, but it's more like a deep lake in green mountains with water so pure and clean that you can see straight to the bottom. I didn't know I could wear jasmine! I ended up wearing this with a brown linen dress in the springtime (when I typically wear pastels), and loved how it felt-- sheer, green jasmine and brown linen in warm weather rocks.
23rd August, 2008
My only experience with smelling jasmine prior to fragrances, was in drinking hot jasmine tea. I became addicted to drinking jasmine tea each and every weekend morning for a while - one particular brand I found of loose leaf tea was smooth yet highly fragrant. I'd open my mouth after a sip to talk, and jasmine notes would magically float all around me.

My first spray of A la Nuit on my skin triggered the olfactory associations with jasmine tea - but ALN manages to take this flower and plunge it into a poetic, long-lasting and diffusive fragrance that, IMO, has no equal. The sharp, tangy indoles in the flower butch it up on my skin (as long as I don't over apply) and yet still make it a refreshing fragrance. Nothing is better than taking a warm wet washcloth and spritzing one spray of ALN - before rubbing all over ones face and body.

Try A la Nuit once, and searching for other jasmine scents that are just as good, will be a complete waste of time.
17th May, 2008
Kaern Show all reviews
Astonishing take on Jasmine -- sensual, heady and great sillage. It's a shame, but I don't think I could pull it off -- as it veers towards the feminine just too much.

Kaern
04th April, 2008
Jasmine lovers unite! Jasmine is such a common flower used in perfumery, until sampling A la Nuit I haven't been able to truly appreciate it's ability to stand alone as the starring note. This is one of those perfumes that when you first breathe it in, it's beauty stuns you, rendering your senses helpless with it's captivating presence. The jasmine here is fresh, raw, sweet, clear, delicate and yet firmly present - with excellent sillage and longevity to spare. I'm not one to wax and wane forever about the intricate nuances of each note within a fragrance...so I'll simply say, A la Nuit has made a jasmine lover out of me!
29th July, 2007
Clemmie Show all reviews
I got my first whiff of this yesterday in Liberty. At the time, I had a bottle of Miel de Bois and a bottle of Sa Majeste La Rose, which I was about to take to the till. Then I tried this, and I put them both back. Not that I don't love Sa Majeste and Miel, but A La Nuit surpassed them. It is the most divine jasmine fragrance ever, and I just wanted to drown in it. Utterly gorgeous.
29th June, 2007
A total masterpiece. Perfect and pure jasmine, heady, thick, and fresh, like earing a full bouquet of jasmine flowers around your neck.
02nd April, 2007
This is the best I ever got! A perfume so close to the flower. when one loves jasmine, this is it! It stays all day and keeps the beautiful frangrance.
20th January, 2007
Such a beautiful jasmine fragrance. The jasmine in A La Nuit is captivatingly sensual and heady, but it is manages to stay well within the realm of tolerability. The opening is fresh, sensual, and alive with the sprig of green, the bouquet of jasmine, and an echo of spice. There’s no question about it, the star of this scent is the jasmine – rich, erotic, and indolic as only jasmine can be. After a very long time, the fragrance mellows to a heart of jasmine so soft and pure that it becomes an unforgettable memory. From there the unique honey / musk base takes over. A la Nuit is not very complicated or complex fragrance: it is quite linear. But the pure elegant, sweet, sensual accord is spectacular – linear or not. One of the best jasmine fragrances I’ve encountered, if not the best.
07th October, 2006 (last edited: 20th March, 2011)
Having spent my early twenties almost exclusively in a white floral (read Chloé), the smell of perfumes basically centered around tuberose, jasmine or orange flowers, often evokes an abstract memory of normality and everyday life. Still, I crave this cathegory of fragrances, but more so I love the smell of the living jasmine flower. Á la nuit, in my opinion, is a jasmine scent that stands out. Though delicate, it is also in it´s own way potent: the bottle appears crammed with full blooming jasmines of highest quality. It is not the adorable prettyness of fragrant white flower buds that is accentuated here, as for instance in L´Artisans "La Chasse...". Á la Nuit instead plays upon the intensity of a multitude in full bloom. There is a threatening shadow of indole and harshness, but only enough to underline tensions, like the ones between night and day, innocence and temptation. On me it stays purely floral throughout the whole time, and much unlike the other S. Lutens I have tried it is quite linear. Obviously, this is not the most challenging creation of C.Sheldrake, but it smells expensive, in the right sense: skillfully crafted of prescious raw material.
09th September, 2006