Positive Reviews of Angel by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Angel by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Sago Palm's avatar

Surprised to get a blast of Christmas at first, like sparkling wintry night. This one gave me some very strange impressions, because after an hour or so, fair/carnival food came to mind. Later I'm visualizing a classroom (art supplies?), though that's admittedly baffling.

After a few hours it got musky on me, and I like it. I really like it. I've been enjoying it all day. Would work very well as unisex, as I'm not getting a particularly feminine vibe.

03 November, 2014

EmeraldSkye's avatar

Sweden Sweden

This gorgeous sexy gourmand scent is not for everone, as is evident from reviews here and everywhere. The first time I tried it, it felt like a slap in the face, offensive and rude - like no other perfume I had ever tried or wished to try (and apparently the first one ever made completely without flowery notes). Several years later I can't get enough. I am not much of a gourmand when it comes to perfume, but the ambery, musky patchouli drydown is what does it for me. It goes on and on forever, like a kid's dream of a day at the tivoli.

30th May, 2014 (Last Edited: 07 June, 2014)

Special Stuff's avatar

Heck, let me confess. I have loved this (and Angel A*Men) for awhile. They smell yummy, but not cloyingly yummy to me. Do Not put too much on, however, even the EDT. If you get into an elevator, either people take a step in the other direction, or they fawn all over me. It is actually pretty funny.
    To each his own.

The vendors make some very nice Angel-like scents, in sprays and in roller balls, Saves tons of money!!

21st May, 2014

Poboijosh's avatar

I'm a guy, and I sport the hell out`a some Angel EdP, but then again, I'm a hard core Patchouli lover. This juice is insanely intoxicating! I firmly believe that you have to lean on the cusp of enjoying Patchouli to really appreciate Angel because that's a polarizing note in itself, let alone the gorgeous hot mess going about in Angel which is centered around Patchouli. Even after 22 strong years on the market, Angel has never been reformulated, so you're getting the same formula from 1992, and for a mainstream fragrance, it is kinda pricey, but very high quality... niche quality. The opening and heart are beautiful, but the drydown is insanely good. When applied properly, Angel is mindblowing. There should be 2 thumbs to the left over there...

07 March, 2014

prosperonline's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Why there isn't a page for the EDT version? This review is for the EDT.

I bought it blindly after fallen into the A*Men series spell, and I must admitt it does smell like a flanker of the original male scent. It is sweet but I cannot say the source, it is not candy floss for one thing. I smell mostly citrus and patchoulli, a bit of pepper, a bit of vanilla. there is a fruit accord but for me it is very blured, it could be red berries. I don't get the woody note perhaps because I don't keep the EDT that long for real base notes, but I get the clean, musk feeling during the whole life of Angel EDT on my skin, about 4 to 5 hours, before I have a shower, I live in a hot country and in a small enought town for me to go home for lunch, I am a lucky/happy man. also, I don't get praline or chocolate, but a very bitter cocoa powder that geves A a very masculine edge, just like it does in L'Instant de Guerlain. In fact, having in my mind A*Men and Pure Malt all the time it is hard to realize it is in fact a woman's scent. One male scent much sweeter that this is Lalique Lion pour Homme, which is almost sufoccating vanilla for me. So, what makes it a feminine fragrance? There's no flower. No powderness. Angel EDT could be just as well A*Men Pure Citron Limited Edition. Not bad, not bad at all. Can't see why this shouldn't be a safe blind buy.

11th January, 2014

marebare71's avatar

When I first smelled Angel, I was appalled - how disgusting I thought. It kept drawing me back and smelling it and lo and behold I love it now. I know this is a common experience with people new to Angel. When I wore it, it was definitely strong at first (Don't need alot) but then it dried down beautifully and I can smell it on me all day. Not overwhelmingly, just something I kept wanting to smell. I don't understand why people have that first reaction to it as I did, but boy am I glad I gave it a chance. I hate anything with floral notes (they remind me of a funeral home) so maybe that's why I really like it. Please give it a chance. You may turn out like me!

05 April, 2013

NineInchNell's avatar

Men seem to love this fragrance while women I encounter have been known to tear-up and sneeze.
    On first opening this has a candy meets flower accord.
    I smell my grandma's bourbon chocolate candy and divinity competing with a lot of patchouli. Then it simmers down to pleasant vanilla competing with patchouli. Then the patchouli wins. The dry down smells amazingly of soft iris to me. The lotion is to my taste, the perfume being way too strong.

02 March, 2013

perfumebox's avatar

Singapore Singapore

5 stars for being one of the most unapologetic and "out-there" scents ever. Angel pretty much defined the fruit-chouli, gourmand genres back in the day. While I'll always consider Chopard Casmir the original early-90s "gourmand" powerhouse, Angel is far more disctinctive, albeit harder to understand.
    I'd hazard to say there's nothing very balanced about the scent at all. It's a very focused sensorial overload of stewed plums, cotton-candy, chocolate-covered caramels, and that sharp green smell of wet, fresh-cut grass. No flowers, no woods, no musk to dilute it whatsoever. Those who love it can't get enough if it, and for those who don't, Angel is an olfactorial assault.
    This scent to me is like a friend who bleaches her hair a little too blonde, wears a little too much bronzer, talks a little too loud, and likes her clothes a little too tight. Many times she's a bit too much, but then she has such a lovely heart that I wouldn't ever want to change a thing.

One bonus? Mugler hasn't yet gone the route of some other companies and jumped on the reformulation bandwagon. What I smell today is what I smelt that first time 10 years ago.

14 November, 2012

Primrose's avatar

I did not "get" Angel at first sniff and I had to give it many wearings. What a fragrance! Certainly unique and mature, and far from the candy/fruity scents now so popular.

I admit that it is not for everyone.

This patchouli gourmand is powerful and there is nothing young and flirty about it. It can easily be worn as a unisex with its chocolate patchouli with caramel and vanilla.

For those turned off to Angel, I recommend giving this one time and several wearings before writing it off.

09 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2012)

nfn1983's avatar

Iran Iran

When applied appropriately (Max. 4-5 sprays) and after about half an hour it smells like being in heaven in the middle of winter!
    I just can't stop sniffing my wife! and it fills all the car sitting together, no matter which scent I've worn or how much I've applied!
    Great sillage & longevity, mature & sexy!
    To me almost no other scent even close to it, UNIQUE!
    Big Big Big thumbs up!

12 October, 2012

Nefelli's avatar

I first owned this perfume over 15 years ago. it was quite an experience for me then. I'm not really a Gourmand type, and had never worn anything like it, it shocked me the first time I encountered, it continued to shock me each time I wore it. In fact I don't really know why I wore it, I just sometimes felt I really needed it, like a decadent *fix* of a calorie laden Belgian Chocolate gateau.

As I began to smell it on every other woman in the street/restaurant/shop, I placed it in the back of the drawer, gave it away finally. Last month as I was walking through the perfume dept I saw it sitting there and, the old addiction rose up, I needed my *fix*.

Ive matured since then, just because I own a perfume, doesn't mean it needs to come with me everywhere I go, Angel is my private comfort food scent. I now like to indulge in it's heady, warm, mouth watering sensuous Chocolate vanilla blanket in the evening, so it has dried down to its heavenly almost nursery caramel treat stage by bedtime.

I love Angel now it is no longer a challenge to me and I know what to do with it, some scents are just too delicious and personal to share.

13 August, 2012

JackTwist's avatar

ANGEL – Mugler – 1992 [fruity, vanilla, powdery]

This one I am going out on a limb for – people either love it or hate it. It begins with a strong mix of strawberry, dewberry and chocolate/caramel, which quickly dries down to a fruity, powdery vanilla that is extremely captivating. The dry down can be reminiscent of Earl Grey Tea. This is a heart melter for both sexes, as it works on some of our most primary food scent attractions.

I advise you to try a sample first and give it a chance over many applications – in other words, don’t decide right off whether you like it or not – give it time to win you over.

Totally unique scent combination that prompted many imitators – but the original is the best of the lot.

Top Notes: Strawberry, Dewberry, Helonial, Honey, Bergamot, Jasmine, Orchid, Rose
    Middle Notes: Chocolate, Caramel, Coumarin
    Base Notes: Vanilla, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Musk

01st May, 2012

Apollo's avatar

Smells creamy and sweet, definitely a delicious scent. I'm a guy and I wear this. It smells that awesome. I think this should be a unisex fragrance in my opinion but for that to be so, there has to be that certain man who would be able to pull this off.

Overall rating 8.7/10.

24 April, 2012

RiveGaucheInstead's avatar

I have an amusing relationship with this fragrance. A guy I was seeing briefly insisted I try it. I meekly agreed despite not finding anything to recommend it. I was very unimpressed when first sprayed and the day went by without incident. Only two days later...I couldn't get it out of my mind and needed, wanted, craved it.

Since then, every person who comes near me for any time at all can't help but comment on how the smell suits me...some even mention it more than once - weird? I've had guys who otherwise have no interest in perfumes actually ask me the name of what I'm wearing. I haven't worn another scent that elicits that sort of reaction. Ever.

01st March, 2012

AndrewT's avatar

susieq813 is right: sample it before you buy it, and since you're at it, grab a spoon, because you're in for an edible trip.

Angel is the typical fragrance that raises the question: is she wearing the perfume or the perfume wearing her?

Other than patchouli, the list of notes is long enough for anyone to smell something different all the time.

29 January, 2012

susieq813's avatar

((Wow... I just saw that Angel has been around for almost 20 years. I had no idea!))

So, 10 years ago, I got my very first whiff of Angel. I was babysitting, and the mother of the kids had a bottle in the bathroom. It was in love at first smell. In high school, I loved patchouli, and I think of Angel as an "adult version" of patchouli! While working at a perfume kiosk a few years later, I would steal sprays of the sample non-stop!

Angel IS on the pricey-side, compared to some perfumes out there. But, I got the star that you can refill... which is a brilliant idea! It's also a perfume you need to try before you buy. It is very strong, and at first it may knock you off your feet. But give it a chance. Most people love it. I get compliments on it HOURS after I put it on. So, it's definitely long-lasting. Give it a try!

05 December, 2011

Kaern's avatar

There are certain accords in fragrances, similar to a specific chord change in music, which knock you off your feet. I won't bore everyone by listing some though. There is a moment in Angel which sent shivers down my spine. This is when, about 5 minutes in, the blackcurrant/peach note emerges from the fog of chocolate and patchouli -- it is truly exquisite. For one instance, I was thinking I could pull this off, but the rather long and powerful drydown is too feminine for me. This was the EDP and it is very potent. That burgeoning accord, while it lasted, deserves a thumbs up on its own.

08 November, 2011

Blue Zinnia's avatar

I AM ABSOLUTELY CRAZY ABOUT THIS STUFF. Since I'm out of Shalimar right now, it's my favorite scent I own.

Yes, Angel tends to be a love-it-or-hate-it topic; that's because the fragrance is so very original. Olivier Cresp (TM's perfumer, who built Angel) clearly has a yard of guts, and so do the folks chez Thierry Mugler; I'm told Angel just didn't sell for the first two years, but they kept making it and let it find its audience.

And, boy, does this fragrance "work" on me! I love fragrances with strong and unexpected contrasts between the top and bottom notes, and some light and space in the middle; Mark's White Vetiver does this rather badly and Fergie's Outspoken Intense does it pretty well, but Angel is the mack momma of this style. All that bright soft sweetness up top and then that BIG patchouli note underneath. . .I'm just gone on the stuff. I'll wear the men's version when I can get a dab of it, too, though I haven't worn it enough to talk about it intelligently.

20th October, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2011)

Charlottesmom's avatar

YUM!!! Luckily Angel now works with me, it didn't always, I used to HATE Angel with a red hot passion! I think the reason I hated Angel previously was not only because of the mega dose of patchouli that assaulted my nose upon first spray but also because I was putting one spray on each wrist and that was just too much!! I attempted Angel again while studying up on Innocent (which I like a lot), I kept going back to reviews of Angel and was intrigued by how blank and white the reviews seemed, people either loved or hated Angel with very little so-so in between. I dug out my sample and squirted it on a q-tip then lightly dabbed it on my wrists, I did still get the strong patchouli but it was much milder and the dry down was to die for, on me it's a blend of deep dark chocolate, a touch of vanilla and patchouli. I've now graduated to one spray on my wrist then lightly rubbed on the other wrist and lo and behold I actually LOVE the patchouli now!! My husband loves it too! I think Angel really comes down to personal chemistry, it smells wonderful on some and horrible on some, I also think it is frequently over applied and that's why it has such a bad reputation, if the over sprayers would lighten up you'd probably get more compliments and less scowls.

23 August, 2011

Red Theodora's avatar

Well, I have waited a good long time before sampling Angel. The fact that it has all that patchouli in it has always scared me off. I have never liked a lot of patchouli in a fragrance. All that said, I finally took the plunge and tried my first Thierry Mugler scent!
    The first whiff was all sweet, sweet fruit and linament! "Oh, boy" I thought,"here we go." Now, I know better than to judge a perfume by its' top notes alone. So I waited patiently for the dry down and what do you know? Such a pleasent surprise!
    Every note seems to meld together in the dry down into a lovely, edible (and not to terribly sweet) accord!
    No wonder this scent has always been touted as a ground-breaker! Well done, Thierry Mugler!

19 August, 2011

Koi-Sashuu's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

This is my mother's new signature scent. I've given it her for her birthday together with my sister (it's really expensive!).
    I liked it very much on her but when I tried it on a little, it didn't smell good. Very nauseating on my side.

Then, after a few days my sister and I went a little grumpy saying: "Have you sprayed your scent on?" when she just sprayed it on.
    It's very heavy on the beginning and after a few days, a little annoying in the beginning.
    But after a few minutes it gets back to great.

The biggest downturns on this fragrance are that it's so damn expensive and that the star-shaped bottle can't be put standing upright.

15 August, 2011

Sly88's avatar

I like this its very masculine and feminine equally so it should be Unisex because Im a man and I wear it all the time and its more masculine than some of my other colognes lolz but its great it smells like a chocolate candy shop with a hint of berrries and plums and some patchouli and little bit of honey. If anyone like gourmand scents this for U but becareful this thing projects like a titanic so watch how much u spray on U or U will suffocate but im very happy to own this fragrance!

23 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th May, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

I have a hard time understanding why Angel is a love-it or hate-it scent, because I can't imagine anyone not loving it.

This is a fragrance for women who aren't afraid to flaunt their femininity, and don't care whether you like it or not. Angel is raging feminine sexuality, grabbing you by your hair and pulling you in. I get weak at the knees any time the smell of Angel is nearby.

If you're going to wear Angel, at least do it right. In other words, don't wear this discreetly. Angel is strong and it's loud, and it should be worn that way. Spray it in your hair for maximum sillage and allure.

This isn't a perfume. It's a potion.

MY RATING: 10/10

08 May, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Angel was one of the most groundbreaking and influential releases in the early 90's mass market perfumery. A magistrally creafted and very rich fruity gourmandic frangrance that became huge all over the world. Chocolate, coconut and candies with melon and mandarin on top and floral hints throughout. An unique combination of notes to create a deep, sweet and very distinctive scent awarded in the FIFI hall of fame in 1997.

Fortunately / unfortunately (depending on the point of view), Angel had an incredible commercial feedback so that in a certain period almost everybody used to wear it. In the mid 90's any bar, club, restaurant, disco or public space was filled by the loud smell of Angel as any girl /woman used it in huge amounts, so it fastly turned to be irritant and nauseating.

Now, after almost two decades, time has done its part and it seems that many persons forgot about this fragrance so that Angel can be wore again, but please ladies...be careful with dosage.

A landmark in perfumery and a mandatory try.

18 April, 2011

paulared's avatar

This was an impulsive buy. I don't really like it on myself as I think it is too loud and I have to say I like loud perfumes. Cristobal by Cristobal Balenciaga has a very similar heart and base, but possibly more elegant and with a wonderful sillage.

03 April, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Just a bit gourmand, we could say. This one is, in its aroused feel high in the air, the olfactory equivalent of a sugared almond flavoured by anise and chocolate, with a mentholated aromatic backtaste. It's indeed sweet, floral, metallurgical and aromatic in an icy-mentholated way. Angel is not properly mysterious but classic/chic, icy/romantic, fairy, starry and paradoxically vintage/glamour. It's in tone with a frosty metropolitan night out, commuting from a club to an other one. The citrus, the aromatic icy water, the flowers and some herbs are prominent at the beginning but express their own power throughout the development. Angel in short enters just one foot inside the gourmand territories and the chocolate-caramel accord is toned down in comparison with the denser A*Man. What is undeniable is that this one is weirdly "glamour/retro" with its cool-warm, smooth-metallic splinters of stary patchouli-vanilla. Angel is a plutonic blend of creams and alluminium, a brash mix of choccolate, harsh citrus, fruits, flowers, vanilla, caramel, honey and earthy patchouli watered and aromatized in a synthetic and mentholated-balsamic way by the link between lavender-helonial-coumarin. The blend is surrounded by many further complementary elements. Angel is a mix of contrasts and over this state of things it roots its strength. The beginning is industrially citrus in an off-putting way. It's like a clanking rattle of  iron scrap. In a second phase the elements start to intersects in the right way disclosing a milky-smooth-aromatic juice with an iceberg floating inside. Angel is proudly synthetical with a bombastic projection and a not less emphatic longevity. A winner on the market and among the young ladies as Hypnotic Poison but far better for sure.

01st April, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2014)

asilverfire614's avatar

This is the one perfume I keep coming back to...in the past I have always found a new scent to wear, about once a year or so. Angel is the only one I've ever purchased twice. It's my go-to signature scent, the one that comforts me and makes me feel sexy and confident.

That being said, I won't get into HOW it smells, as there are so many reviews about that. I will, however, point out a few things I've noticed that make this scent even more unique.

Angel smells completely different on paper/clothing than on skin...if you don't like it on your skin due to the smoky camphor note you get the first few minutes, try it on your clothing instead.

Also, I know some will say not to rub your wrists after applying, but I always do with this particular scent...reason being, I find the smoky burnt candy notes go away rather quickly after this and the heart notes kick in faster. I'll admit that the heart & base notes are definitely the highlight of this fragrance, at least for me.

Lastly, this is the only scent I've ever worn that changes so much as my body temperature rises. The honey/melon/peach notes are at their peak when I am very warm...and men seem to really love this fragrance!

Dec
    2008

27 March, 2011

Silmaril's avatar

Serbia Serbia

I was scared even to try this one. But month ago I've find out that my beloved Angel le lys is discontinued (whole Garden of star collection:( ), so I've decided to give a chance to her older sister (mother?). I've expected a sweet bomb - chocolate, vanilla, candies, sugar, honey, fruits... And I got patchouli. Nice one, polite, a bit sweeter than in Eden for example but not sweet. Not loud, not cloying, just well behaved patchouli with some strange spices. And I love it:) I still prefer Angel le lys but Angel itself is pleasant surprise. And nothing to be scared of (on me).

21st March, 2011

TwoWordReviews's avatar

Man. Candy.

I'm reviewing this from reverse: I haven't worn it, but I've smelled it on many. And oh my goodness do I ever love it. My girlfriend (a Basenoter who shall remain nameless) says I'm a poser for even admitting I like this, but I can't deny my true self. The truth will out. I love this stuff.

Quite literally, four of the last five times I've asked a woman "OMG, what is that you're wearing?" she's said Angel. While that certainly suggests something about my taste, it also suggests something about my total inability to recall utterly commen scents but we won't belabor that point further here. Moving right along. I love this stuff. I dream of its candylike beckoning. I want more.

27 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2011)

MatthewPK's avatar

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, yada, yada, yada. I'm not eating a candy bar here. My first encounter with this was after significant dry-down. A delicious, complex variation on patchouli, which I am just a sucker for. Just got some for my wife - we'll see how that works out. So far, just tried some on myself. Early on, I pick up a somewhat annoying sour note. This disappears and improves over a little bit of time. Not quite at the patchouli point yet, but very pleasing. Quite impressive.

14 February, 2011