Reviews of Angel by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Angel by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

adele h's avatar

Love it-works with my chemistry! There is nothing like it period. That said it's not safe for enclosed spaces or office wear- it can overwhelm its environment! Incredibly original statement fragrance ( nobody wears it in this neck of the woods ).

15 August, 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

Minus burnt rubber, it smells very close/virtually identical to A*Men; just weaker. This is what I first thought of Angel when I smelt it.

Angel is a demonic patchouli and chocolate scent that befouls its neighbors but blesses the wearer. It accosts your friends while being your only friend. It greets your with warm cookies and leaves everyone else in the patchouli brush, pricking every single one of their limbs so as if to say, "HELL YEAH!" in a overly dramatic tone.

This scent is so polarizing... it makes me love it for some reason. Please, for the love of any deity, wear only a spray of this. It can really ruin someone's day.

15 July, 2010

Jillita's avatar

I went through a bottle of this beauty quickly. It's perfect for any time use. It has a pepper, caramel, citrus quality that won't offend the office in daytime, then shape shifts to a musky, patchouli dark chocolate suitable for nighttime wear. The scent blends to you and becomes your signature. It was noticed by noses wherever I went. In dance class, women stood close to me and marveled at how good the room smelled. The only problem was, my husband didn't like it and found it overpowering. I agree with a review above in that the name Angel, which connotes something light and atmospheric and dreamy and pure, isn't right for what this is. It's sweet, yes, but there's also a darkness to it.

29 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2012)

saphiric's avatar

The star-shaped bottle is very gorgeous, I admit. But the name does not suit this obnoxious fragrance at all. It should be called Demon of Glutton, for the only thing I can smell in the first 2 hours of spraying this is heavy vanilla biscuit soaked in alcohol. True, it's pretty yummy sniffing my wrist, but it's also completely overwhelming. This is one of those fragrances that, if it doesn't interact with the right body chemistry, will wear the wearer, instead of the other way around.

02 May, 2010

doppelganger's avatar

Before I tried Angel, I was afraid of it. I first tried Angel, and I hated it; it was burnt rubber and everything else that people on here had warned of. Very soon after, I was absolutely in love with it and felt incredibly alluring. I applied the whole sample soon thereafter.

I never bought a bottle, but my Angel Saga did not end there. Last summer, I took a vacation with my boyfriend to Malta. Everywhere we went, my boyfriend commented, "what is that horrible stink that I smell everywhere?" It was none other than Angel. I smiled at first, but after awhile it got on my nerves and made my stomach turn once again. I wonder, is it destined to cause such a manic-depressive response in me and so many others?

It is not sort of cliche. Maybe if people forget about it for awhile, I can rush to buy a bottle, but for now I am in hate. I still have to rate neutral only for that brief lusty feeling I had toward it.

10th April, 2010

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

I first tried Angel during its UK premier at Harvey Nichols in London. As well as the usual testers, and free samples of fragrance, you could help yourself to Angel flavoured chocolates, which were delicious. I thought Angel's sugary, chocolatey notes were wonderful. I immediately purchased the 15ml Glamour Spray (which looked like a smaller version of the Angel stars, with a silver band round it's outline, and a silver cap, held onto the bottle with a silver chain). I think this has now been discontinued. The Glamour Spray cost £89, and was refillable.

I soon discovered that though I loved Angel that has been sprayed on a card, or on someone else, on me it a pineapple note develops, which overpowers everything. I gave my bottle to my mother; on her it proved an even worse disaster, developing a cat urine smell, which would not go away.

Angel has come along way from its premier, and is now one of the most commonly smelled fragrances, and is sold everywhere from department stores to discount hypermarkets; it is by no means exclusive.

All said, though I cannot wear Angel myself, I will sometimes smell it on someone, and it has turned into the beautiful crisp sugary chocolate concoction I remember smelling at its premier.

29 March, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

Angel - on the overwhelming side, but let's face it... it's delicious. Angel got me interested in A*Men and the offshoots like Pure Coffee, and I'm grateful for that. So that led me to checking out the Angel variants, specifically this years 2010 Sunessence Bleu Lagon. It's an effervescent masterpiece of an interpretative angel infused with a sparkling fruity/citrus top end, and far better constructed mid/base without the cloying honey drenching of the original. So, thank you Angel for leading the way to this years version - it's a big time keeper.

23 March, 2010

blood-orange's avatar

You simply can't go wrong with Angel. Being one of the most popular and well-known fragrances in the last 20 years, Angel still manages to stand out in a crowd.

This is a delicious and very unique scent, the first of its kind. It's sexy, dark, mysterious, sweet and memorable. Surprisingly quite controversial, it seems that you will either love or hate this fragrance. I personally adore it and love wearing it especially during Winter or on a night out on the town.

When I first apply Angel to my skin, I get a very distinctive mandarin note. This mandarin is fresh, juicy and raw, smells exactly like the actual fruit. Minutes later Angel begins to smell like gingerbread men and vanilla, I can even sense a chocolatey note, but perhaps more like a mug of hot chocolate rather than a block of solid chocolate.

I find it difficult to control my sweet tooth when I wear this fragrance. I feel compelled to walk straight into the nearest bakery and buy every sweet pastry I can afford.

Don't be fooled by the name, Angel is in no way innocent and heavenly. Demon would be a better suited name for this scent.

I suggest that everyone try this at least once in their life because like Chanel No.5, it is quickly becoming a well-known classic.

11th January, 2010

autumn89's avatar

My gran wears this, bless her . She's diabetic and loves mirangues. It smells like diabetes would if it had a smell.

16 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2010)

Wingie's avatar

Never thought I would like this scent - or rather, never thought it was for me. It sounded just too gourmand, heavy and foody for my liking, not to mention it's thought of as a 'loud' fragrance (referencing Luca Turin), and one of the first fragrances I ever owned was another 'loud' fragrance that I was never able to pull off, Gucci Rush.

A salesperson offered me a sample, and I do like it. I find it rich, but not heavy (unlike Organza Indecence), and I feel more comfortable wearing it than I thought I would. When I first spray it on I can't stop smelling my wrist. For me the best part is the early stages though, with all its rich delicious gourmand notes. Then Angel dries down to a dry masculine patchouli base on me, and it was this stage that elicited a comment from my mother that I smelled vaguely of an old man.

14 December, 2009

Rita LeftCoastNose's avatar

Angel” is the scent of powdered sugar, the inside of an aluminum orange soda can, patchouli, and raving rabid homicidal bee froth. It is the fragrance the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse would wear if the Four Horsemen were War, Pestilence, Death, and Tooth Decay. It is the scent of a terrible emergency, and no one should ever smell it.

I need to borrow several thumbs down to fully rate this.

22 November, 2009

pinkmimosa's avatar

This is the finest fragrance ever made. I have been waiting to review it for a year now, thinking I'd somehow find words to describe the finest fragrance ever made, but I can't. So this is my review. It's the finest fragrance ever made. And it isn't sweet. Not to me. It's dry and crazy. And really unique. And it changes all day, and it lasts. And everyone loves it on me. It's the best fragrance ever made. It was given to me as a gift - how do you like that? Who figured a person could randomly give a surprize gift of perfume, something so subjective. Yet here's my review. I am a perfume junkie, it's what I hoard, it's what I love - and this - It's the best.

21st November, 2009

jazzgoddess's avatar

I loved it for the past few years...lately I find it cloying whenever I put it on..and am looking for a replacement. I still like my L by Lolita Lempicka and used to wear Coco, Opium Obsession - I like the oriental end of the spectrum....I wish Fendi hadn't discontinued Theorema!

20th November, 2009

Ranger's avatar

This is a fierce cold weather perfume. Strong patchouli, chocolate and vanilla that wears like an edible massage oil. It's great on my woman, and when I come home late from work and smell this, I get really, how should I say, hungry. There is nothing coy or shy about this scent. While this may have been worn by everyone when this came out, I just don't smell it around anymore.

02 November, 2009

justaguy's avatar

While initially strangely herbaceous and reminiscent of weedy smells, Angel brings the words fruity, rich, sweet, and powerful to a new level. The period after the strange herbaceousness smells like a rich fruit compote with chocolate cake in the oven next to you. After that, it descends into a carmely, chocolaty, rich scent. Patchouli makes a feature in the end, letting you know that's what has been making this so interesting all along. Lasts on my skin over 24 hours. Crazy.

15 September, 2009

StylinLA's avatar

Seems to be a very polarizing scent. A lot of negatives in here proportionate to the positives. I find it intoxicating, but most appropriate on fairly young women. I think it would be at odds with a woman 35 or over. I always get a bit of the cotton candy scent and some patchouli, but never the chocolate.

When I smell Angel in a crowd my heart beat quickens and my head spins until I find the source. I find I am never surprised to see it is an attractive and confident young woman.

07 September, 2009

's avatar

As we all know fragrance smells different on each person so the idea of a signature scent is really rather funny since we already have our own scent and perfume just adds to it. Poor "Angel" she has unfairly been label a whore when a saint is really what she is. It's peoples misuse of her that has tarnished her good name. Angel was new and different and ready to be loved and loved she was. Then the imitators begain to appear talk about "whores" and very cheap ones at that. When I wear Angel I feel very happy and those around me feel happy. So I will continue to wear her and defend her honor. May Angel live forever!

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st September, 2009)

angelica's avatar

I think Angel was the Opium of my generation. I remember reading about it before it came out, and there were quite a few of us desperate to get it... it was a topic of conversation... there was a buzz. And getting it meant a special trip into NYC from suburban CT, as it was only going to be available at Saks. It really didn't matter what it smelled like, because by the time I got to that counter, I had been dreaming about those notes (chocolate... in a perfume!?), and that gorgeous blue bottle, for so long, there was no way I was going to be deterred at that point. And I actually loved it. I thought it was AMAZING! And everyone else did too. Initially. And then sadly, after a year or so, the whole world seemed to be wearing it too. And too much Angel, as we all know, is not a good thing. I hope a younger generation will rediscover it at some point in the future, and it will take its place amongst the greats of all time. But in the distant future.

10th August, 2009

septembergirl's avatar

I tend to favor sweets over florals and Angel dances along one hell of a scent spectrum to satisfy everything I want in a fragrance. Angel starts out dark, intense, and sexy, then shifts to a lush sweetened fruit, and then finally settles into a dessert-like treat---I can't say enough to explain how wonderfully complex Angel is. I wore it many years ago and for whatever reason stopped... I've taken up with Angel again recently after this hiatus and love wearing it, especially because the staying power is strong and I only need a small amount to last almost the entire day.

23 July, 2009

maeculpa's avatar

Ireland Ireland

no need to buy it. To recreate Angel go to a bar and tip a pina colada down your front. Cheaper and more fun.

15 July, 2009

hagertygal's avatar

I wore this when it first came out. I always got the impression that I smelled like a Christmas tree for some reason. Then cotton candy. Even now, when I smell it on others, it makes me sick, sick, SICK! Angel is today, what Poison was in the 80s. Overworn and overdone. I still get the smell of pine needles mixed with sugar. Strangely, as much as I hated Poison in the 80s, I have an appreciation for it today. I don't think that will be the case for me with Angel 20 years from now. It is pure ICK!!!!!!!

11th July, 2009

lookingglass's avatar

For all the gourmond notes it smells amazingly complex and oriental to me, not like food. It is fresh, sweet and earthy. The feel of this scent is transformative-used in moderation it could be worn in just about any situation. Children, men and women adore it and complement me regularly.

03 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2009)

lookingglass's avatar

03 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2009)

Tony T's avatar

a ravishing unique blend of tasty treats. very bold and unique gourmand as gourmand's should be. very intoxicating or nauseating. love it or hate it. it's like one of those gore movies, (MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3-D), it's an audience for everything and i love gory movies as well as this!!!!!!!

11th June, 2009

Ruqayya33's avatar

This frag is very gourmand. While that's not a bad thing.... it's just a bit too much for my taste. I prefer Angel Rose to this.

04 June, 2009

Morielfan's avatar

Angel is a most recognizable scent. I have literally followed women through the aisles of stores to see if in fact they were wearing it. I was right every time. It intoxicates me like the cartoons where the characters are lifted off the ground by the wafting scent of something delicious. However, sadly, a friend who loves me much bought some for me, and I am unable to stand it on myself. I definitely cannot wear it anywhere near my nose. I get an overwhelming blast of what smells like pine resin...only much later do I smell it on my clothes and recognize the scent I have loved on other people. I have worn it often and have never been complimented by anyone...so, that leads me to believe that my own chemistry does not mix well with Angels. I guess I'll just have to enjoy it coming from someone else.

18 May, 2009

oez's avatar

I tested and then purchased Angel when it first hit the market. Loved it. I was intrigued by the chocolate/vanilla/patchouli blend. I've since brought my little star bottle to the store for a refill three times. I have a full bottle now, just resting in a dark, cool area of my closet. I don't know if my chemistry has changed or what-- but I can not wear it now. It is still fresh, that is not the issue. It just smells...too strong...too...can't put my finger on it. I have tried blending it with musk, vanilla, patchouli, chocolate, even jasmine. No help. I feel I need to soften or sweeten it a bit, but have not yet found that certain addition. I find it interesting so many of you find it too sweet!

I have been searching my entire life for "the" scent, my perfect combination. I don't know if anyone out there can relate, but I can actually 'smell' it...I know what I want, just haven't found it yet! Has anyone tried blending Angel with another fragrance or essential oil? Any suggestions?

02 May, 2009

lion_dancer's avatar

I've always been put off of this scent because of its initial opening... soemthing about the citrus/alcohol mix makes me want to run screaming for the showers. However today when the perfume counter did not have the fragrance I initially went in for, I tried this. Again the first impression had me wriggling my nose and waving my arm to try to dry it down... but once it did... WOW!!!!!!!! Everything I had ever hoped to have in a perfume. The only thing that could make this scent more perfect, is if it had dry rose note somewhere in the Top. I bought the small tester bottle of it, just to make sure I don't end up scrubbing it off later... but right now I'm 2 hours in and completely in Love <3<3

I will be putting this on my wish list ( and birthday list) for sure!!

18 April, 2009

sliver1's avatar

Having changed my signature fragrance last November from Antaeus to A*Men (I was with Antaeus for eighteen years and it'll always have a place in my heart) I decided to try the feminine Angel; a 15ml bottle arrived at my door yesterday. I was so excited! I sprayed it three times on the neck, one on each wrist and left my house..!
    I remember Angel from 10 years ago when an ex-boyfriend (quite a masculine gay guy) wore it. I loved it on him (but can't recall smelling it since) so I did have a kind of 'sense memory' of it.
    Sources differ as to whether floral notes are included in Angel. For me, when first applied, it smells extremely floral - like a fragrance your Great-Great-Grandmother might have worn! I was horrified, but as with A*Men, Angel is deceptive! The flowery smell fades quickly and the true thrust of the middle notes surface with a vengeance! Angel Women has as many clashing notes as A*Men but smells much simpler - it's similar but gentler and less complicated - and whereas I can tell what each of the notes are in A*Men, I cannot with Angel - it's a sweet, candy floss smell with muscle.
    Angel might smell gentle but it's STRONG! (Is that an oxymoron?!) Try and it and you'll see what I mean. If you're one of those people who like to smell their own perfume all day (as well as inflicting it on everyone else around you) like me then Angel's for you.
    Angel is not a unisex fragrance but men CAN get away with it - if they're playful and confident (also like me!)! But then I like perfume on men anyway and don't differentiate between male and female fragrances on myself or anyone else. I wear what I like. The majority of male fragrances on the market smell like one thing - LEMONS - which gets a little dull, as I've written elsewhere.
    A beloved work colleague HATES A*Men with a passion, calling it 'fausty' (such a cool word) and literally recoiling and becoming instantly naseous when I first get into work. When she arrived at work yesterday (pre-warned that I would be trying Angel which was allegedly even more powerful) her first, strong reaction was 'It's not as bad as the other one but it's still HORRIBLE!' However, as the shift went on she commented that if I used a lot-less it might actually smell 'quite pleasent' and that 'a gentle whiff' of Angel as I pass might be 'quite nice'. All I needed to hear. Bless her heart!
    Angel won't be replacing A*Men as my signature (to my beloved work colleague I can only offer my apologies) but it DID make me feel sexy and confident and happy. Allegedly, teenagers like this fragrance! Hmmm! For me, both Angel and it's male counterpart are ADULT fragrances - used to bewitch, mesmerise and lure! That's what I'll be using them for anyway! Have fun!

17 April, 2009

hermesfan1978's avatar

Angel is quite possibly one of the worst perfumes i have ever had the misfortune of smelling. My old flat mate used to wear it, couldnt stand more than a few minutes in her presence..gave me headache. Ugliest smell on the market...

01st April, 2009