Reviews of Angel by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Angel by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

I found Angel very nauseating every time I have tried it. I find it strong, harsh, and loud. When Angel is first sprayed, I smell an unbearable mix of camphor oil and vix vapor rub. YUCK!!!! Angel is very strong and bitter in the opening notes and then dries down to a bittery sweet, chocolate/ patchouli scent (the camphor oil smell still remains, it gets a little lighter because the chocolate/ honey notes that pull through). I appreciate the contrast between the top and base notes, but IMO it is way too strong and almost intolerable. The notes of patchouli are especially overwhelming as it hits you straight in the face and continues to pull through the other notes. Every time I have tried Angel, I ended up scrubbing it off (after I started feeling sick). It is so strong that Angel still remains on my skin after it is scrubbed off.

Angel causes me to have migraines, feelings of nausea, and sneezing. I would consider your surroundings when you wear Angel. It is sooooo strong, it has the ability to make someone sick to their stomach...especially me!!!!

The bottle is stunning but it stops there for me. There are so many other fragrances that smell wonderful on me and don't cause nausea and headaches, I am staying FAR, FAR away from Angel!!!! I think Alien is a better smelling scent, at least on me it is.

28 March, 2009

RoseanneM's avatar

I just can't believe this is such a big seller!! I'm so glad I only bought the mini of this! I like a very wide range of scents, and rarely dislike any.

But, I HATE it! So I've tried this 3 different occasions and have to wash it off after a minute or 2. It smells just like body odor to me!! The top notes are fine, but the dry down, ugh! I run in the opposite direction when I smell this on someone.
    I even tried it on my 5 year old daughter, just to make sure it wasn't just my skin. Smelled awful on her too. She said "Mommy, get if off!" LOL.

My brother has some very unkind words about it which I cannot post here! I can honestly say, this is the worst fragrance I have ever smelled!

25 March, 2009

sfmedusa's avatar

I love Angel to the point that I've had to stop wearing it because I can't smell it any more. I only knew that I was wearing it because of the compliments and comments from other people.

My sister always comments about how fabulous my nephew smells when he's been snuggled up against me and as a result she had a spray of Angel when she walked past a tester one day- very very big mistake.

I've got no idea what the difference is between us, but it is hard to believe that it's the same perfume. On me people pass compliments, on her people (including both of us) reach for the sick bucket and the headache pills. I had no idea that the same perfume I wear could give me a migraine when it's on someone else, but I even went back to check that it was the same perfume, it smelled so different on my sister.

On me, it's a blend of sweet, hippy and fruit, on her it smells sour and the smell took several showers to remove.

So the message is, if you like Angel and Angel likes you, you may have a love affair. Otherwise, you may not be able to wash it off fast enough.

22 March, 2009

Bastetcat's avatar

I've always loved scent and perfume, but am new to details of perfumery (e.g. I only recently learned the difference between an "eau de toillette" and "eau de parfum" Go ahead and laugh! LOL ).

I''d been seeing references to Angel on my soaping forums...folks raving about it. So I decided I had to try it. (more specifically, I wanted to sample the original before buying a dupe for soap scenting!).

I think I was expecting a light floral, something "ethereal" with the name "Angel". So my first whiff of this notorious brew was quite shocking. Shocking along the lines of getting a sip of coffee when you thought you were going to taste apple juice. It's not that coffee is bad, but your taste buds weren't prepared. Neither was my nose. I pulled back in shock, much to the amusement of the store clerk I'm sure. Then I went back. And back again. Wow! I took home a paper strip and couldn't stop sniffing it all day. My husband, who is NOT into scents (especially patchouli) also liked it. I went back and sprayed a sample directly on my skin to try that.

The first thing my nose detects is "spice". I'm really surprised by all the negative comments that complain the scent is "sickly sweet" because I don't get any sweetness at all. Ah, the idiosyncrasies of nature. Interestingly, my patient husband agrees. "That's not sweet at all!" he exclaimed. The initial spice burst wore off within about 15-20 minutes. Then I got some chocolate, not a milk chocolate but a dark one. About a half hour after that the patchouli came through. This is not a "dirty hippy" patchouli, but an elegant restrained patchouli. I am reminded of the difference I smell between my dark copper-distilled patchouli EO and a "green" CO2 extract patchouli I have. Now, after a good hour, I finally get a touch (a light touch!) of sweetness with the patchouli.

It's worn mostly off now, about 6 hours after spraying it on me, which is pretty long lasting for me (my skin eats most fragrances and makeups). I love it, and I will be using the dupe (very close!) in my soap line!

06 February, 2009

mikey_p's avatar

The groundbreaking clash between floral and chocolate/patchouli has been much imitated but not bettered, indeed the masculine version seems like a pale knockoff. Ease off the application, this girl packs a punch.

29 January, 2009

Cutecthulu's avatar

Angel is the one scent which I love, but would never buy for myself. It's too big, too intoxicating, and too loud for anything except a black-tie ball or a red-carpet walk, and I'm unlikely to be in either situation. A big, expansive scent like this requires a big, expansive personality to carry it off. Otherwise, it wears you instaed of you wearing it. I have many memories of smelling this on various women in the 90s, but I have no memories of the women themselves. Not a face, not a name, nothing comes to mind except that chocolate-strawberry-patchouli perfume. Take care if you wear this in public. You want to be remembered for you, not for your perfume

27 January, 2009

esquirol's avatar

Angel is a ravishing scent, that I like to wear like a pair of pyjamas, to reinvent the comfy, uplifting effect it has on me. I wouldn't dream of wearing it outdoors, because of possible encounters with it.

26 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 February, 2009)

msleslie's avatar

I received Angel as a sample before I had heard anything about it, so was able to experience it without any preconceived notion. It instantly brought to mind the Puyallup State Fair my family attended when I was little, the only place we ever encountered cotton candy aka fairy floss. Angel smelled just like standing at the booth with the wonderful sugary scent floating all around us. This unexpected nostalgia made me laugh with pleasure and I thought I would wear it to work as a joke. I laughed all morning. However, I was sick of it by mid-day, and never wore it again. I now smell Angel daily on fellow bus passengers, and am happy to once again briefly smell a happy scent from childhood. It is cute on the girls and young women, but I do not really understand why adult women would want to smell that way. [On the other hand, I wouldn't mind having a sniff of it on a guy who was self confident and playful enough to wear it.]

24 January, 2009

Noraed's avatar

Very sweet and clean scent with a strong caramel scent.
    It is an Oriental - Vanilla type of perfume.

Top notes: Bergamot, Mandarin.
    Heart note: Passion Fruit, Peach, Apricot.
    Base note: Patchouli, Vanilla, Chocolate, Caramel.

I find it glamorous, luxurious, and posh. Other might find it overly sweet.
    But if you like it, try Wish by Chopard, which is also an Oriental - Vanilla type of perfume.
    I would not recommend Angel for those who dislike sugary smelling perfumes.

24 January, 2009

LEWheir's avatar

Am I the only one this smells like latex on? I loved the top notes when I first sprayed this on, but in a matter of minutes all I could smell was latex. I can't discern any chocolate, vanilla or caramel, just a cloying mess that reminds me of hospitals and dentists' offices. After hearing so many great revews, I'm really disappointed. I wanted this to work so bad, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

22 January, 2009

Sunnyfunny's avatar

I wasn't ever going to try this one. I heard Lolita Lempicka (which I love and wear) compared to it, and not in a very attractive way. Mildly outraged, I thought, But Angel is just so unfashionably...popular! And teenagers wear it! A lot! Say it isn't so. I sprayed it on a test strip at Macy's just to ease my mind. I got pungent and peppery, mostly bergamot, none of the sweet, and none of the softness of my lovely Lolita. Yet I perceived a similarity.
    My hairstylist was wearing Angel when I went in last Saturday, and on her it was spice and caramel. This isn't my idea of what I want to smell like, but she wore it very well, and I was curious to find out what my skin would do to it. So off to Nordstrom I went, trolling for samples. After much deliberation, I decided to test it on a work day. My husband's first reaction: "AUGHHH!!! WASH IT OFF!!" Then my cat started licking my wrist. I didn't take that as a good sign. It started out chocolate cake and spice, then turned into berries and spice. But not really the natural scents-- more like chocolate and berry esters, the ones you make in high school chem lab and turn into lollipops. I concluded before we left the house that I in fact smelled like the high schooler whose parents could afford to buy her a Coach bag, while the rest of the girls languished in Fantasy and Old Navy fare (not that there's anything wrong with Old Navy.) I sort of relished the idea of someone commenting on the smell, to which I would gleefully respond, "I know, isn't it horrible?" I actually apologized to my coworkers for wearing such an offensive fragrance to work and promised not to do it again. I smelled Angel throughout the day, with nary a hint of caramel, or even vanilla. Just berries and bergamot, which apparently turns peppery on me. For the better part of the day, I would catch a whiff and think ,Yep, Angel.. Is this peppery-berry thing ever going to go away? Then it happened. Hours later, during one of the busiest parts of the day, I caught a whiff and thought, That smells like Lolita.
    WTF!!!
    So I pondered to myself, WHY??!? The components aren't even remotely similar! I don't even like this one (in theory)! Why do they smell so similar now???
    I came home and applied Lolita to one wrist and Angel to the other (one big difference-- Angel lasts about three hours less on me.) So let's get down to business. Somehow, the structures of each play out very similarly on my skin. But Angel's chocolate and caramel are perceivable next to Lolita's anise seed and licorice. The flower and greenery in Lolita make this one softer, warmer, more inviting. Angel is sharper, colder, and darn it if it isn't because of those esters! All that being said, Angel isn't....really.......uhhh.........that bad. There. I said it.
    How strange individual chemistry is....

21st January, 2009

ummmily's avatar

Patchouli! Wow! If I sniff the bottle, I can discern the other (sweeter, better, more desirable) notes- but when I put it on I reek of patchouli. All day. The scent doesn't change on me, it just slowly fades away to nothing. I gave it to a patchouli-loving friend of mine. She's enamored- I'm disappointed.

11th January, 2009

creamywildthang's avatar

South Africa South Africa

It has an element of Euphoria to it but for some reason, it has much too much of this element. It is a bit too much but just like many other popular fragrances, you either love it or you hate it. And that is what I love about this perfume...it is black or white, no grey areas so you can easily make your choice. I might like the drydown but the opening notes literally blow you over. It might be in a good way but for me, it was in a bad way!

09 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

Nostalgie's avatar

Every time Angel is mentioned I find myself humming that Serge Gainsbourg tune: "Sorry Angel, Sorry so." I tested Angel briefly once before and did not like it, but decided it was worth experimenting with it for a full day, since it is such a popular fragrance. Despite its ubiquity, I have never to my knowledge smelled it on anyone else, and I remain curious about how I would react if I encountered Angel in a crowded space.

In the interest of full disclosure I should admit that gourmand is not my thing. It was no surprise, then, that I found the initial spritz to be a blast of sweetness. My beloved leaned in for a kiss and then backed off, voicing his preference for "more Catherine Deneuve, less Willy Wonka."

I kept right on humming it: "Sorry, Angel, sorry so."

But far be it from me to wash off a fragrance before experiencing the drydown. Will there ever, ever be a drydown? This stuff is intense, and my indoor sillage frightens me.

I will say in Angel's defense, that it is lasting and layered. But the patchouli just can't stand up to that sweet, foody dominatrix. In the drydown the musky notes turn sour on me and the candy just keeps on giving. I'm left with a not-so-fresh, someone-left-the-cake-out-in-the-rain feeling.

I am thankful for the Gainsbourg ear worm, though!

"Sorry angel ..Sorry so...Maintenant tu es avec les anges...Pour toujours..."

Sorry, Angel...sorry so !!!!!!!!

11th December, 2008

Robert White's avatar

Okay, here's the two cents of a guy who wears this stuff. (My male friends get very confused by my hobby; screw 'em.) When I first sprayed Angel on, boy, was I confused. I'm a perfume neophyte (altho I've always liked the stuff; started out years ago with Antaeus and Aramis, and used to sneak my roommate's Poison in the 80's), and although I wear Shalimar (which gets me called sissy boy), I was unprepared for the full on mondo bizarro assault on the senses that Angel provides. The top notes I prefer to savor in the privacy of my home before going out. This also spares those who may not have my, ahem, uncoventional tastes in male worn fragrance. But I find that when I wear it into the heartnotes and drydown, even my manly buddies will tell me taht I smell good. Whether this is because I smell to them like (1) a pretty girl or (2) food is yet to be established. All I know is that I love the stuff and am looking foward to trying the Rose and Violet (I love ionones) versions. Five stars!

04 December, 2008

MsElleEmme's avatar

I totally agree with maramica. For me it is a love/hate relationship with Angel. Perhaps it is beautiful, but not on the skin. Perhaps it could be used as room fragrance, or a kitchen deoderiser since it smells like a melted pot of chocolate, vanilla and caramel. The bottle is beatiful, but it doesn't represent the nature of this scent. It's deceiving because it isn't angelic, it's devilish. When I smell it, I lose my appetite because I feel like I've eaten a slice of the richest devil's cake. I gave it to a friend who smelled it on my arm and loved it. I was happy to give it to a good home, because it isn't cheap.

The perfume 'Angelica' by Jacques Phillippe is identical to Angel. Even the packaging is similar. So if you're looking for a less expensive option, wear Angelica and tell everyone it's Angel. They won't be able to tell the difference, seriously!

I rarely do this because I'm normally so tolerant, but I have to give this one the thumbs down, I can't wear it.

01st December, 2008

carito123's avatar

I tried one example of this scent...it gave me a horryble headache. It is so intense, and weird, i can`t find it nice, smell like tons of caramel and vanilla ..and something sour...just ..imposible to wear for me.

27 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2008)

blackfairy's avatar

Angel is my least favourite perfume - it is cloying and sickening - instant headache at first sniff. Terrible!

27 November, 2008

The_Entity's avatar

This is one you'll either love or hate...i personally love it, intense, best to wear for evening occassion, although i prefer rose angel

22 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2010)

In all these years I’ve never smelled Angel, but after years of hearing people on the boards wax lyrical about it, I figured it must be some sort of super fragrance. I’m surprised by my findings. What I’m smelling is a bit of a disappointment. I get a close relationship to A*men, which interested me because I’m not used to the male counterparts of women’s fragrances smelling similar. There is a definite relationship with these two. To my nose, A*men is a more substantial version of Angel and I like that… I don’t mean that Angel is “more transparent” or something of that sort. I mean it has less substance – it seems like an emptier A*men – I guess I’m just unable to adjust my brain to seeing Angel on its own merits. The primary notes that I get from Angel are the chocolate and patchouli: everything else seems to simply come across as a sort of undifferentiated sweetness. I enjoy A*men very much and I guess I expected Angel to be even better. It is not better, at least in this man’s opinion. I’m disappointed, but it’s a small disappointment because Angel is a nice fragrance – I was just expecting it to be phenomenal.

21st November, 2008 (Last Edited: 31st January, 2011)

donnastarr's avatar

I think most women's problem with Angel--and with perfume in general, really--is the overapplication of it. I tried this perfume on a recommendation having never smelled it on anyone, and fell in love with it. My mom disliked it for a long time, and even she finally got to where she loved it and would wear it from time to time. (Her standard perfume was Chanel No. 5.) I adore this fragrance for the simple fact that it contains no flowers--floral perfumes give me severe headaches. I don't get the overly sweet smell when I wear it--more spicy/patchouli. I do get noticed when I wear it, definitely, but not for it's overpoweringness. (Is that even a word?) It is definitely not a scent for everyone, but don't be afraid of it either.

17 November, 2008

saraahj0307's avatar

THE MARMITE OF THE PERFUME WORLD what more can i say except chocolate and more chocolate!

11th November, 2008

luvzzme's avatar

What a surprise with such exotic sweet whose untamed and wild scent. The feeling of sexiness and compliments when you wear Angel is heavenly. It opens with a powdery white chocolates, and quickly melts into honey, and ends with light musky.

I love everything about Angel except the base note bergamot which smells exactly like Musk by Coty. It gives me goosebumps. I'm glad the "musk" is easily vanish when I reapply the parfum.

I think this parfum can be unisex sometime depend on weather or season. One morning I applied and smells great as usual, but the same day afternoon when I reapplied again, I got powdery man's cologne.

09 November, 2008

New San Antonio Rose's avatar

An addictive affair, Angel breaks my fragrance rules and fascinates me to no end. I hate sweet, gourmand perfumes...except Angel. I hate patchouli (the dreaded head-shop scent of my Free to Be You and Me childhood)...except Angel. There is a marked progression, from candy-sweet top notes to an over-the-top burnt caramel midsection, to basenotes that last two days on me. Deep, dark chocolate and, yes, high-quality patchouli. I want to roll in it like catnip. And I am a cool, reserved blonde. Angel is, I think, the ultimate love it or hate it scent. Try it and see.

05 November, 2008

Lhooq's avatar

Chocolate is great as food, terrible as a personal scent. I can't stand the smell of this on other people. It reminds me of those chocolate scratch n' sniff stickers from the 80's. It smells like tackiness and a lack of sophistication. I think the bottle is ugly too (anything jewel or star shaped should be a clue to the scent's vileness), I was surprised to see that it won the award for best packaging.

02 November, 2008

mygreenlimousine's avatar

HATE this scent. I am indifferent about most fragrances but this one is a land mine. Most of the time I don't understand why people want to smell like food- and this is no exception. The whole thing is just fake and generic to me...I hate the horrible star bottle it comes in (very original) and the name, Angel (original again) and then it smells so synthetic. It makes me mouth breath ---> Angel is HELL.

19 September, 2008

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Ladies, reviews from your fellow women are great and all, but take it from a man that this stuff rules. I'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to fragrance, but isn't most of the world? Angel can make a man follow you like a curious dog. To this day there hasn't been another scent that can grab me by the nose, cartoon style, and drag me around.

This has very clear notes of chocolate, caramel, berries, and cedar. Cedar isn't listed but it's there, and you'll really notice it after 15 hours when just about all of the other notes are gone. That's right, this stuff seems to last forever, with excellent sillage the whole damn time. It's so potent that it's ultimately cheaper than other perfumes, because you don't have to use much and you never have to reapply.

So maybe a refined man with superior taste wouldn't dig angel, I don't really know. But this UFC watching, Opie and Anthony listening, Jim Norton loving, basketball playing oaf doesn't just like it...

He LOVES it!

07 September, 2008

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Too much chocolate. To sweet. On the dry down you expect to have a little peace but pachuli with chocolate makes a syntetic note that not disturbing but not charming either. But do not listen to me as a am not a gurme scent lover. The only high calorie scent i can enjoy rarely is L from lolita lempcika.

15 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 October, 2009)

Madamemagenta's avatar

Mmmmm...chocolate.
    WARNING: This stuff is VERY potent. Use sparingly! Long lasting, and has no flowers (if you have allergies), this is great for winter parties.

14 August, 2008

maramica's avatar

Yugoslavia Yugoslavia

I am going to be a lovely little child and break the steoreotype of love hate with this piece of... art.
    The bottle, idea, and concept amaze me. I simply had so much hope in this fragrance.
    However, once I sampled, at first, I was revolted. I was so shocked, I nearly hurled.
    With tears in my eyes and a scrub brush, I tried to get the vile substance off.
    But no, it would not budge. And so, I sat indoors, disgusted by the puke cloud of cotton candy and fluffy rainbows.
    It enveloped me, tore at how terribly naive I was to fall for another ' classic '.
    And then, the storms faded as I experimentally sniffed my wrist a while later.
    The vomit sugar bomb had gone, and was replaced with warming comfort.
    Honey rang through my senses, and just the right play of a battle between vanilla and chocolate.
    I smelt edible, delicious, tolerable, and mysterious yet playful as the caramel then sang.
    Once the relief of the mid tones had faded, it settled into a charming musky drift to sleep.
    I had never experienced such emotion in the time frame of two hours, hunched over in a daze of wonder.
    I love Angel. I hate Angel. I will, for those reasons, never wear it again.
    Instead, I will gift the bottle to a dear friend, whose smile at times will annoy and comfort me to no end.
    A match suitable, I find, because Angel's love is far too fickle for my senses.
    And if by some fluke I do wear her grace again, I will note not to visit anywhere public for at least an hour.
    Like a dancer tumbling through the curtains and making an awkward arrival, the top notes are putrid but the aftershow of base and middle are enchanting and pleasant.
    But you'd never do it more than once. Or twice.
    So ends my experimentation with sickly sweet and dangerous gourmands such as Angel.
    How I will miss those days and cherish the never occuring return of them.
    As a drug addict looks back on ' those days ', I cannot judge Angel.
    Only Angel can judge one such as myself.

30th July, 2008