Reviews of Angel by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Angel by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

E-beth's avatar

Sickenningly sweet. Fruity to my nose, with just the smallest hint of insect repellent.

22 July, 2008

Nukapai's avatar

I love Thierry Mugler, Olivier Cresp & Yves de Chiris for the sheer CHEEK of creating such a thing. I love the bottle and the name; very clever.

The fragrance is nauseating. It deserves its polarised opinions. I am in the can't-stand-it camp.

I almost didn't try "Alien" by Mugler because of the Angel association. Alien is a completely different scent and has now become one of my favourites.

08 July, 2008

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

A*Men is too much: too much tar off the top and on my skin so much caramel in the base it's a joke. I've worked my way halfway down a 100ml bottle and then switched to Angel which is so much better. The drydown does resemble A*Men, but it's more balanced with less of that hideous caramel. And I haven't been looked up and down wearing it - yet!

19 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2008)

lizzie_j's avatar

I wish I could smell the foody notes that everyone either adores or detests in Angel. Instead, I get a pervasive body odor/ skank accord that does NOT go away over time. Not "homeless person, haven't had a bath in months" body odor. More like "man working out at the gym, sweating a lot after an hour of cardio, and this is what his t-shirt smells like" body odor. Not necessarily a repulsive smell, but not one I would adore smelling on myself. I haven't read all the Angel reviews yet, but there must be someone out there who gets that scent when they sniff?? I also get it, to a lesser degree, with Alien!

15 June, 2008

mirrorghost's avatar

i remember a college roommate having this scent in the 90s, and i didn't like it at all! 10 years later, another friend has it, i try it again and now i love it! apparently there are no florals in this, but to me it smells like a slightly powdery, chocolatey floral. at first it's a bit strange, the chocolate is strong, but once it mellows after a few minutes, it's beautiful. my boyfriend loves it too, so that is always a plus.

11th June, 2008

Sophia's avatar

England England

Am I really the only one who's missing the chocolate/vanilla element of Angel ? For me it just smells floral, and not in a good way either

09 June, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

It's odd that I so love Angel yet so abhor A*men, as many of the same notes are there. But what I get from Angel is patchouli and chocolate and sweet burnt sugar, while all I get from A*men is rancid cocoa and burnt tar (and lots of the latter).

Angel, for me, is as rich, sensual and vanilla-laden as A*men is harsh, bitter and migraine-inducing.

04 June, 2008

eugenie's avatar

For those three of you who still haven't tried this love it and/or hate it goo....

It really is a work of genius, inasfar as that term can be applied to an art as ephmeral and relatively minor as perfumery.

It is also, at least at first, and on most wearers, absolutely disgusting, at least to my nose. Like vinagared bubble gum and dusty chocolate in the opening, along with whatever that chemical "white flower" that's been so popular for the past few years is.

After a couple of hours on skin, it turns into a really nice, pleasant but not especially brilliant men's cologne, most outstanding in it's remarkable balanced use of patchouli, one of the few natural ingrediants I can find problematic, but which I really welcome when it makes its appearance at the forefront of Angel. Especially nice given that the tendancy to turn up the patchouli to really do battle with the electirfied bubblegum must have been almost overwhelming at some points, at least as part of the joke, but to have given into it would have destroyed the whole hideous balancing act that is Angel.

Hmmm...perhaps that was part of the perfumer's secret brief...make something that will make even patchouli haters glad to see patchouli....an interesting brief, and one in which they succeeded admirably...

03 June, 2008

KLB084's avatar

I have found this perfume perfect for me i only need a dab and it lasts all day even though i have found i cant smell it after a little while but at the end of the day people are still asking what perfume im wearing its good to know their is a perfume with an all day scent.. :) :)

28 May, 2008

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I wish I could wear Angel, it is a big fraganse, longlasting and obvious quality... I have tried to wear it over and over again, but given it up after more than half a bottle. It doas not develope well on my skin, it just becomes messy, too sweet and not beautiful at all. I envy them who wears Angel well! - For the moment I am trying to wear Alien, and I think I can wear that one much better. I might get that one instead...

18 May, 2008

sweetcrazylaura's avatar

I just adore this. It is so different, and when worn by a friend for years, I always wanted to lick her neck! So I finally bought some for myself and it is such a treat.

10th May, 2008

Stu's avatar

Standing waiting for the train to arrive a beautiful woman starts walking towards me. She had to be 20 feet away and yet there was no mistaking the Angel she had on wrapping itself around me like tentacles. To my horror she got on the same subway car and sat directly across from me. My eyes began to burn and stomach wanted to heave, so heavy and cloying was this fragrance. Both versions of Angel I wish could be outlawed in the U.S. Luckily it wasn't rush hour and I had to get up and move away to another seat far away from her. Pity because other than her fragrance choice she was beautiful to look at. I really can't give this enough thumbs down.

03 May, 2008

pasha's avatar

Uhhh, how I hate hate hate this fragrance. It is perhaps the only fragrance that I absolutely detest. The worse thing is, this is one of those scents that say something very particular and peculiar about the person wearing it, which would be something like "I love bunnies, unicorns, rainbows, pink clouds, and I never ever wanna get old!!!" It smells like how a 10,000 calorie a day diet would smell like, if such thing exists.

I don't wanna offend anyone, but all the women I met wearing this one try to act like 12 year old schoolgirls, and be flirtatious with the men pretending that they are still the innocent little 'Lolita' that they once were. You know the type, the glittering pink lip gloss, slightly skimpy outfits, pink hair accessories with the cute little dog. It is a sickening scent, no depth, no mystery, no transformation, and so sticky that it would melt your skin just to exist. And there is no way escaping from it. The closest one I have met to this scent is Chopard's Wish, and even that is better. (and coincidentally, they are both blue bottles made of sharp prisms - one is a star, the other is a diamond)

All I am gonna say is, this scent does not suit anyone personality per se, but it sticks one on you, and not a mysterious or sexy one that one would expect, but rather a Paris Hilton-esque make-belief identity that is horrendous. Such a needy fragrance, and what's worse is that somehow it became such a hit, there are now millions of other even cheaper scents out there trying to imitate this monstrosity.

27 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

zenana's avatar

wow, what an experience. on first spray this smells exactly like you've sunk into a vat of ice cream with caramel and chocolate sauce -- there's a sharp, sour whiff of berries. I got very little patchouli. By the end of the night, and on my clothes next day, the stuff smelled exactly like unwashed bodies covered up with a lot of baby powder. I agree with all reviewers that this is an "exciting" fragrance, but it's also nauseating -- I'd NEVER wear it. I'm giving my bottle to my mother, who loves it. She said she used to wear it and adored it but that everyone who smelled her hated it.

26 April, 2008

sniff-sniff's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

If you want to smell like a pimp, spray a whole oz of this fragrance on yourself at a department store before bar-hopping. I testify the scene of a heterosexual-looking male taking advantage of this "know-how" was whitnessed by me tonight, just 3 hours ago. Do not be in near proximity of this chemically-infused cloud out of danger of immediate enausiation.

20th April, 2008

KoinoneA's avatar

This fragrance is absolutely mystifying in it's complexity and it's other-ness. It is playful and feisty in it's sweetness, while also mature and grounded with the weight of the base. In the world of the olfactory, it is a modern work of art, and for me, takes me back to a time of soul-searching, discovery and the pure essence of carpe diem.

10th April, 2008

fudull's avatar

Albania Albania

It is sweet and unmistakable. Its power and mystique rely heavily on its gourmand distinctiveness. I would get it for my girlfriend, but I have A-Men for myself, and I must admit that the two are quite similar.

I don't know if it is an instant classic, but a woman wearing it will never want for attention.

02 April, 2008

sameasalways's avatar

I don't think I can say anything about this that hasn't already been said. But here I go anyway. I fell in lust with this when I first smelled it. Then I quickly grew to detest it. I guess reality hit? It smells like a hot sunny day on the west coast, after your shoes have melted into the asphalt and gum has stuck to the bottom of your shoe. And you've been walking a quearter of a mile to your car from the beach. Yeap. I suppose some people might like that though. It is DIFFERENT but I need something to be more than just different for me to like it. Maybe with the right chemistry it would be sheer ectasy. And I am sure this is the way it must be, but alas not for me.

26 December, 2007

holyjes's avatar

hate it hate it hate it.

18 December, 2007

RayKay's avatar

With Angel, the initial impression is a very spicy kick to it…the patchouli is initially very strong and I was a bit worried as while I like patchouli – I prefer it to be more mellow as patchouli itself just does not “suit” me so well! I was pleasantly surprised where after that initial kick (which quickly dissipated) I entered into a very rich, warm chocolate-caramel-vanilla flavour with that underlying patchouli kick to keep it from being cloyingly sweet for me (though I still am tempted to chew on my wrist. I can’t help but feel immediately toasty and warm putting it on – and even while I was shovelling in the -30 C temperatures the other day the occasional scent that drifted up from the depths of my winter coat to my nose warmed my insides.

For the record, I HATED the smell of it in the store when I initially put it on – it did have a very musty, mouldy smell to it but once it was on my skin and began to blend with my chemistry it turned into something quite amazing. I went back a couple hours later to buy it.

My only vice is the bottle that is really kind of annoying in that it cannot stand up; and it’s not exactly cheap particularly on a budget. It does however go a LONG way as you should really only use a little dab and I don’t use it as my everyday fragrance.

I don't smell it very often around here, so I don't feel like I am one of the crowd!

05 December, 2007

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Ghastly and vile on my skin; literally makes me nauseous. I was embarrassed to walk around smelling of this, as you absolutely can NOT scrub it off. The notes *sound* good, and I love many gourmands, but unfortunately Angel is more like a Devil on me.

28 November, 2007

Oriental Muse's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

It's incredibly strong and has the ability to either attract or scare people away. Isn't this a good enough of a reason to get one now? :)

19 November, 2007

ChantalOnWings's avatar

This is a scent I've loved ever since I was a kid. I think my Mom has had this scent probably ever since it came out (and I would've been like 3 or 4). I remember the adorable blue star bottle and the sweet scent that smelled like food the I used to want to spray myself with for dance or piano recitals or my 8th grade "graduation".

Now that I'm older, I tried this on myself again and I find that it's not quite the same as I remember it from my childhood. My mom doesn't use it very much any more, the liquid or the bottle has taken on a strange greenish tinge, and the scent seems different from what I recalled. It now has this distinctly sour note in the opening that I don't remember at all. When it dries down it settles better and starts to get that delicious, sparkly nummy desserty scent that I love, but it still has this very slight not-quite-right scent to it. I love this scent and still occasionally steal a spritz of it from my mom's closet.

15 October, 2007

Sirena's avatar

Trinidad and Tobago Trinidad and Tobago

Vile, vile, vile! The cloying sweetness of tinned fruit in syrup and buttercream icing. I was expecting something rich and deep and mysterious but found nothing more complex than blue cotton candy.

20th July, 2007

iMaverick's avatar

If it weren't so gosh darn popular, or at least wasn't worn by a woman at work, I myself would wear it more often, or at least I'd like to. Angel unfortunately still has this feminine je ne sais quois quality about it despite the generous punch of patchouli in the mix which hardly makes it any angel at all! Certainly not a cute perfume, and it's actually the patchouli that makes my nose swoon--the musty type, as compared to the sweaty green type worn by hippies of the 60s and 70s. Back to Angel...it's probably that berry note that makes it feminine to my nose. Despite all this, I love it, love smelling it, whoever wears it, including myself when I want to be reminded of it when I'm at home. I can understand why it's so popular. I love the mens version as well, but sadly you always have to get over that brash tar beginning, A*Men and B*Men alike. Beautiful-but-edgy is the mark of Thierry Mugler--yeehah!

02 July, 2007

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Does anyone out there know that you can get Britto for women for less than half of what you pay for this fantastic stuff? And you can't tell the difference either.

Compare notes:
    Britto Notes: Bergamot, Hyacinth, Clementine, Amber, Evergreen, Blackberry, Loganberry, Wild Lily, Sambac, Nutmeg, Patchouli, Sandalwood

Sample them both back to back and you will be amazed. Angel is awesome stuff, smells yummy. Britto's longevity is on par, and the price is better, so I love Angel, but Britto is the way to go.

28 May, 2007

pookerella's avatar

I cannot believe the word "Patchouli" is not in the list of ingredients above, because it is SO there. Lots of it. The berries are very prominent, as well especially in the opening notes. They do fade and in the end you get the patchouli (which never really goes away) the vanilla, honey and chocolate in the dry down. If you can wait that long, you will love it. If not, you are out of luck! As with anything with Patchouli in it, this scent does not wash off easily! Angel is also not a scent to wear on a whim; it needs to be tested on your skin when you go shopping or something first. If you like it, you need to plan to wear it...meaning, you need to consider the occasion, people involved, weather...before wearing this scent. If you just don't want to bother with that, then you need to be able to take criticism or don't mind that people will avoid you. This is a scent that some people will love, but some people will intensely detest. I completely agree with Tovah; Angel evokes smells of warm summer nights to me. I think one of the reasons is because you need to wear it when you are going to be surrounded by fresh, moving air. In winter, everything is too closed in for a scent like this. Most of the time I have to apply it...and then wash it off after 5 minutes because no matter how little I use, it's always too much. I can live without the berries, to tell you the truth. Sometimes the dry down smells a little plastic-y to me, but not always. Still, Angel is a great scent, wonderful for romance and an innovation in the perfume industry.

15 May, 2007

melancholic-botanist's avatar

Poland Poland

Oh, how I hate this one (sorry). But to me it smells completely like white woolly mold (Mucor on a wet gingerbread
    ) - maybe that is the "Angel". Instant migraine.

12 May, 2007

tessera's avatar

The opening notes all clash horribly, then it begins to dry down to a bright, warm comfortable place. I honestly don't get chocolate out of this after that first nose-punching blast where it's arguing with the mandarin. Dry down is vanilla without the cream and sugar (thank God), a breath of sweet patchouli and a little whisp of mandarin, I suppose: whatever that whisp is smells slightly floral so who knows where that's coming from.

I agree with Tovah that it's very much a summer scent. I don't wear it in winter either. And I personally abhor patchouli in all forms. Once again, who knows why this form works on me? It just does.

29 April, 2007

Tovah's avatar

The patchouli and tendency toward "heaviness" that is characteristic of Angel suggests that it would work best as a Winter scent, yet, I much prefer wearing it in the Summertime. I'm not sure I even like it in the Wintertime. When my skin is warm and my body temperature is high, Angel is one of the most beautiful fragrances I could ever imagine. It's dreamy, feminine, magical, and comes across as a vanilla with light florals (a la Susanne Lang Midnight Orchid). In the Winter...well...I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers who find this fragrance to be, ahem, unpleasant. Angel needs to be applied with DISCRETION and it helps if it's worn where there's a lot of ventilation or some nice strong breezes. I worked with a woman who wore Angel heavily, every day and I swear the smell of it, ignited by indoor heating, used to seep through the walls. People would think she was in a room she'd vacated 1/2 hour before because her sillage was so...potent. But applied with just the right touch (too much is nauseating), Angel is really, really beautiful. I find La Rose Angel to be easier to wear, and much more versatile. I'd love to own it as well. In the meantime, Angel is such a classic, her beautiful bottle deserves to adorn my collection in all its groundbreaking glory. Works of genius aren't always enjoyed, or understood, but they can be admired and appreciated. Angel deserves this from me, at least. And I love wearing it, lightly, on a warm Spring day.

11th April, 2007