Reviews of Angel by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Angel by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

Angel is simply legendary, whether you like 'her' or not, you cannot deny that she is a powerful force within the fragrance industry. I personally love Angel and all her counterparts (Innocent and The Garden of Stars). They're sweet, spicy, sexy, earthy (that'll be that patchouli!) and the boys love it :P

27 March, 2007

margi's avatar

England England

I absolutely LOVE this fragrance, and although I can smell the chocolate, the most dominant smell I percieve is the patchouli, although it is not mentioned in the notes. Anyone, like me who is an aging rock chic will love this as it reminds me in a much more subtle way of my earlier head banging days. However, most people who comment on how nice I smell when wearing this fragrance have never been into this music genre, so please don't let that last comment put anyone off!! Again, this is a very sexy fragrance, so I rarely wear this during daylight hours. I also never wear this when going out to dinner as it is a little strong for some people. I would recommend keeping this for special night in with the partner of your dreams.

20th March, 2007

ivypt295's avatar

absolutely love this fragrance! Its my signature perfume! Its difficult to find a perfume without flowers - any suggestions? Evie

11th March, 2007

stephanie1980's avatar

I've been holding off reviewing it because over the years you become so influenced by what others have found you forget to write what you feel when you smell it. So I pretended I'd never heard of it before. To me, there is something extremely unisex about it. It's clever to use chocolate and vanilla (bitter vanilla) is what I notice most without evoking extreme femininity. Pete Burns wears this. Mugler has also been clever to have the same 'family' smell running through all the series with slight floral differences, but yet not losing the character and definitive common theme. I want to say I don't like it but I can't quite. It's like a celebrity who is quite patently untalented but you have a soft spot for them. It has taken great creativity to make this smell and get people talking and then to use the name Angel. It's almost ironic but fitting-I think if you did meet an angel you would feel uncomfortable but unable to look away and it's presence would stay with you. I really like it on others and find it very moreish-its musky and dry and not too sweet. I have more time for Angel, then say, Dolce and Gabbana The One which is just sickeningly sugary. So Angel, here is my truce and grudging respect. I do not love you, you don't love me (it smells quite honeyish and cereally on me) but you deserve your place and you deserve to be talked about.

27 February, 2007

tweeti123's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

I got this as a Valentine's gift from my husband. The first time I wore it literally shocked me. It was way too heavy, 'cause, little did I know how much to use, since I'm used to lighter flowery or citrus scents.

Like the brief description on the top, there's no flower smell in this bottle. I did see it somewhere that it also has a hint of mandarin. Maybe that's what it was.... It smelled odd when you first put it on, but as you wear it longer, the vanilla and chocolate stays on and gives a warm smell.

So, remember, use in small amount, so you don't overwhelm yourself and others.

21st February, 2007

touti007's avatar

France France

It disturb me,intoxicate my air,and half of town (PARIS & around) metro and buses and make agressive people !!!
    like cat,when he want to "mark" his territory!!!!(i prefer the cat piss,its
    more natural)I'm joking !but not so much!
    please an antidote ,and quick!!!!!

03 February, 2007 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2014)

spicegirl's avatar

I apologize in advance to all you Angel lovers out there, but this scent is an atrocity IMO. It actually makes me kind of sick when I smell it, even on others. I normally like patch, but coupled with that horrible sweet candy smell, it just gags me. I find it has a stinky feet or dirty sweaty socks smell in warm weather, and a candy-counter theater smell in the winter. I really couldn't hate a fragrance more! UGH!

31st January, 2007

Dea de Brito's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I love it!!! AND I live in Rio de Janeiro!

14 January, 2007

kellichou's avatar

I love Angel. I agree with other reviewers--a little goes a long way.

Why do I love it so? I suppose it's the number of times I've worn it to a party, and people look around, asking aloud, "What is that wonderful smell? Who smells so delicious?" Once they say, "Oh, it's you! What ARE you wearing? It's heavenly!"

It makes me feel like Kudra (of Tom Robbins' novel _Jitterbug Perfume_), which I think every woman wouldn't mind! And then I tell them it's Thierry Mugler's Angel. But I do agree that it doesn't smell this way on everyone, I guess I lucked out, having a skin chemistry that meshes well with it. A powerful classic. I read in another review that Angel is allegedly a favorite of Hillary Clinton; I fervently hope that is true.

24 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2013)

ModderRhu87's avatar

The whole idea of Angel is cute. The name, the bottle, the dessert notes. Unfortunately, when you actually smell it, it's pretty bad.

To me, it smells just like the fake, sour chocolate you would smell from a scratch and sniff sticker. I have yet to find a good chocolate perfume. Masaki Matsushima's Chocolat has that scratch and sniff sticker thing going on too. I'm looking for a rich, intense, salty kind of chocolate.

Oh well. I didn't expect much anyway, since it's so popular :P

20th December, 2006

Mr.Opoponax's avatar

Spain Spain

Definitevely not for shy girls.. It reminds me pink sugar cotton you can buy in Fairs and local parties.. Strong and invassive but enigmatic as well. Like a bad nightmare.. You assume a lot of ego pouring this scent on you although you get no distinction because lot of girls use it.. Thierry Mugler has become the number one on statistics type "you can love it or hate it" For girls assuming the idea of being distinctive as well as sweet I´d better try Gucci´s Rush or Rush 2

19 December, 2006

wallander's avatar

Gorgeous.Simply gorgeous.A fragrance which
    changed the idea of oriental.Not for everybody,better the day than the night.
    Please,don't be dressed to kill while you wear it!

11th December, 2006

Cat Whitehouse's avatar

Love this scent but I can totally understand why many people detest it - it is very rich and can be so cloying! Saying that, to me it's delicious, not too sweet, and a very unique, one-of-a-kind scent. My boyfriend didn't like it - didn't hate it, but thought it was weird.

05 December, 2006

Laz's avatar

This fragrance smells heavenly on Persian and Armenian women. Must be body chemistry.

03 December, 2006

linnea's avatar

I LOVE THIS SCENT! This is one of my favorite scents. My twin sister introduced me to it, and I love it because it reminds me of her. It's so rich, complex, and intriguing. I always keep at least two bottles because I never want to run out.

03 December, 2006

Scentsibility's avatar

This is a love it or hate it scent. If you like it, try flowerbomb or Miss Dior Cheri. Angel is heavy and long lasting, but there are better examples of the style. Angel is heavy on the food/chocolate scent. I like it, but flowerbomb is more subtle and possibly longer lasting. Sillage is excellent on Angel as well as FB and MDC.

02 December, 2006

Silvergirl's avatar

Based on the notes and reviews, I thought I would love this. No. It smells like a scented 'my little pony' I had when I was little. Blech. Thank god I sampled first!

01st December, 2006

carissadaisy's avatar

This perfume disturbs me deeply, i have to agree with purplebird7. A girl I know that I disliked for a long time wore this. She was the 'village bicycle' you might say. Unfortunately my limbic system associates this scent with very strong memories of her and evokes negative emotions; I just cant stand it. For me it screams 'baby prostitute' (Quote Janice in the film 'Mean Girls')

04 November, 2006

purplebird7's avatar

"I eat crow," is an idiom in the U.S. for "I said something wrong, I will swallow my words." My first rating for Angel was one-star! Now I consider it full-bottle-worthy. It took me seven years to fall in love with Angel. During that time, I have bought and worn many patchouli fragrances from the least to the most sweet: Santa Maria Novella Patchouly, Borneo 1834, Aromatics Elixir, Black Oud, Les Parfums de Rosine Une Folie de Rose, Narciso Rodriguez for Her, and Coromandel. I now embrace the sweetest one of all: Angel. At first, I hated the gourmand genre. My preferred partners for patchouli were dry herbs and roses. Later I accepted chocolate, vanilla and mint. Only now do I embrace the fruit, caramel, and cotton candy that used to revolt me. I must admit -- its dry-down won me over, clinging to clothing for weeks, earthy-fruity-sweet -- so unique and recognizable.
    The huge dose of patchouli is buried under such heavy sweetness that women who hate patchouli do not even detect its presence. I find that hilarious. No more musty, hippy associations. Thank you, Angel for making patchouli popular again. I add you to my collection. Sorry it took me so long. I was wrong.

02 November, 2006 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2013)

anacasales's avatar

Brazil Brazil

The problem is, I live in Rio de Janeiro. It's hot weather. I can only wear Angel on winter. Otherwise, I intoxicate people and hear lots of complains. I realy love it, too bad can't wear it anytime I want to.

26 October, 2006

ifconfig's avatar

This is an unbelievable fragrance! Unbelievably good. Let me explain: my preference in scent tends toward the complex and interesting even puzzling. I despise mediocrity; if I wanted a citrus smell, I'd squeeze a grapefruit on myself and be done with it. I like concoctions, makes me feel I paid for something good produced by hard work.

Angel's complexity therefore makes it one of my very favorite scents. Everything is here: the brashness one should expect from the topnotes of a perfume, tempered with the other notes which rise from time to time to the fore only to be beaten back but which then finally win the fight and gain ascendancy, after which the drydown occurs several centuries on, exactly like a witch's cauldron.

For me, this is a truly remarkable fragrance, but I can understand the negative reaction it engenders in others. Genius usually does.

25 October, 2006

vezerne's avatar

Don't buy it without trying it. I can wear Narcisse Noir, Opium, Obsession, and heavy florals/florientals are my absolute fave. Angel smells totally rancid on me. I can't even wash it off
    today.

20th October, 2006

TDDanae's avatar

If I got up on a hot summer day, took a shower, cut open a grapefruit, poured a lot of sugar on top, then rubbed this in my armpits, by the end of the day, I think I would end up with Angel. I would not mind smelling this on someone else, but not on me. Having heard of how popular this fragrance is or has been, I know now to be very careful about what I hear. The bottle is beautiful and with the name Angel and all the talk about it, I expected something at least wearable now and then. I will definitely pass on this one.

03 October, 2006

sd1207's avatar

This stuff reeks; really nasty!! Like chocolate laced with b.o.

25 September, 2006

Fairylight7's avatar

I'm afraid I had to sell my bottle of Angel just days after buying it. The first time I wore it,I had to take a shower and change my clothes soon after.

Don't get me wrong, I love this fragrance...on other people. On those with pale, less sallow skin,however, it simply sours in an instant.

I still use Angel body products but stick to Angel Innocence perfume- a lighter, much more wearable version of the original.

14 September, 2006

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

This fragrance should be unisex, It doesn´t smell femminine at all to me.
    It´s a fact that, generally, men love the smell while a high porcentage of women hate it with passion, (strange).
    I found it velvety and juicy at the same time, and I can smell a big note from berries,chocolate, passion fruit and diverse wild fruits, but no single one flower.
    Caution!: Spray it too far enough as is quite scented and you could end up being a skunk! :)

30th August, 2006

corisande's avatar

This fragrance seems to be created in order to solicitate the gluttony of a stupid, overweighted, marshmallow compulsive eater.
    An unforgiveble offence to good taste and style.

27 August, 2006

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I have a couple of Angel dupes that I find absolutely delicious, but I was dissapointed with the original. It starts out nice, sweet/creamy/spicy/fresh, but in the drydown it's much more thin and flat and stale than the dupes. It has that cool, perfumey vibe and is almost green rather than gourmand. It might be the patchouli I don't like. I much prefer A Men which has the full, round body of the dupes.

17 August, 2006

Hallie's avatar

Ahhh, what horrid memories I have of this dreadful scent! My mum tried wearing this for several weeks when I was a little girl, and oh how I hated it!!! The first thing that always came to mind was b.o. plain and simple! It smelled like a consctruction site full of hairy, stinky men had been bottled and sold as Angel. I finally had to beg my mother to quit wearing it, and she quickly returned to her signature scent, Picasso. I really can not understand how anyone could find this scent at all appealing! Do NOT buy!

12 August, 2006

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Vile!
    Like so many others, I expected something extrordinary and delicious from this fragrance, especially after Luca Turin raved about it as a new classic. But oh my word, was I surprised.

On me it split into two distinct and simultaneous halves; a sweet, super-girly top with an undertone of hairy-chested seventies super-butch aftershave. Remarkable, for sure, but not in the way I'd anticipated. Boy did I regret spraying it on my wrist. It certainly has staying power.

As with all fragrances, if you like it, and it works on you, fabulous. But unless you're an Angel lover, if the lady on the makeup counter is spraying it around, be very careful!

05 August, 2006