Reviews of Angel by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Angel by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

d_silent_one's avatar

Oh my gosh this perfume is so nasty. Tremendously sweet, too much. The bottle is the only thing I like.

04 August, 2006

rasputin's avatar

I like ANGEL. This is one of the few fragrances I know in which the masculine version (A*MEN) smells very similar indeed to the feminine version. In fact, as a reviewer here has noted, the feminine version may even be more assertive than the masculine version. Certainly the feminine version has a more pronounced menthol and bitter cassis note in the head, which to me, greatly offset the sweetness of the candy notes. This fragrance really is genius... I think that patchouli goes surprisingly well with the sweet notes; I love patchouli, and will never complain that a fragrance has too much of it. It is possible that this fragrance-- as with, say, POISON or KOUROS in the past-- is a great fragrance suffering from its own popularity. A fragrance can lose a bit of its cachet when everyone cottons onto it.

15 June, 2006

vinterdroppe's avatar

Sweden Sweden

It took me a while to embrace what I first thought was a clash between some very contrasting notes: patchouli and chocolate, for example. Or bergamotte and caramel. Different notes seemed to fleet around, isolated from each other, in some kind of weird, sweetended patchouli-space. OK, I'm going to cut the introvert crap, because believe me, I hear how ridiculous it sounds (lol, it's still true though), and just say that I love Angel now! Sometimes I suddenly miss it. Despite the fact that there are several cheap copies, there is nothing like it. I also find it far superior to all the later variations – the garden of stars and Innocent - even if some of these are also nice. Personally I prefer to dab a few drops of EdP to pulse points, instead of spraying on larger areas. Angel is so noticable, just a tiny bit is needed

09 June, 2006

Elf's avatar

Dreadful on me, like an entire candy shop that's been melted and poured over my head. But lovely on other women. Try before you buy! I was really disappointed, but the way, love the bottle....

04 June, 2006

ezirak's avatar

Based on the name and the bottle and the level of popularity, I assumed smelling Angel would be a lovely experience. This was not the case! I was so disgusted and told the lady at the counter that it smelled like mold; she pointed out it might be the chocolate and also insisted that men find it irresistably sexy. I can't imagine why? Too strong, too moldy, too icky, not clean, and nothing like what a I would like to smell like! I just don't understand all the hype for all these years!

29 May, 2006

tinker424's avatar

This was my love around 2001. I swam in the stuff. Florals tend to sour on me and this was the perfect solution at the time. I never smelled anything like chocolate on me,lots of patchouli and honey. I don't wear it anymore..too many other loves right now.

09 May, 2006

fragrantone's avatar

My 16 year old daughter wears Angel, and it is truly lovely on her. Smells just like an upscale sweet shop with a very subtle, slightly spiced woody base.

But Angel, applied to MY skin? Unmitigated horror. When I tried it, I smelled just like Ye Olde Head Shoppe, plus burnt caramel.

I've enjoyed patchouli in other perfumers' blends, but as a component of Angel it clearly doesn't work for me.

06 May, 2006

chaelaran1008's avatar

Smells like 1000 calories a spritz. It's too over the top , and this from someone who loved Poison when it came out in the 80's! Angel is the only fragrance that actually gives me a headache if I am in the company of someone who is wearing it!

25 April, 2006

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar

Has everyone gone mad? How can this be a hit? I don't understand. First, have you ever smelled the hair of a little boy, about nine or ten years old, after he's been running and playing and sweating all day? I mean a little boy past the "baby sweet" smelling stage, and before he gets to the age where he starts caring about hygiene. Okay, take that smell and add some blue vanilla sno-cone syrup. That's the first impression of Angel. Sweaty, dirty and syrupy. It rapidly loses the greasy kids hair note (thankfully) and becomes an oily, buttery sugary thing...makes me feel like I need to wash my hands, because they should be sticky. And then it dries down to a sugar cookie dipped in milk. Overall, makes me feel like I need a bath really bad. All this, from a lover of both chocolate and patchouli. I'm mystified by the attraction.

06 April, 2006

Grommit53's avatar

This was the favourite perfume of a woman I used to know, and I found it (and, consequently, her!) irresistable! A stunning fragrance. Sadly she found me all too resistable!

28 March, 2006

dansconstellar's avatar

its strong and seductive, worn by lolita temptresses of all ages. the bottle is ethereal but the scent is a provocative man-chaser! younger men in their 20s seem to like it on me...

23 March, 2006

pp3266's avatar

Definitely a winner in my book! It's sweet at first but never cloyingly sweet on me. I always wear it on my wrists in order to be able to sniff it all day (lasts a long time). I realize that people either love it or hate it which was true for my sister. Of course, that just meant that I was the lucky recipient of a new .8 Fl. oz bottle.

19 March, 2006

sherrie11's avatar

I've fallen in and out of love with Angel over the years. At the moment, I'm in love with it again. I've been wearing just the tiniest dab of the edp lately and have been receiving compliments. Maybe people apply too much and that's why so many hate it - because a little goes a very long way. I guess I'm just in the mood for this again.

17 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 25 August, 2006)

giraffe's avatar

I detest this scent on many people. It smells delicious if you have the right chemistry and I love it on me. I get so many compliments on this perfume, mostly from men.

14 March, 2006

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

First of all I'ld like to say this perfume bottle is the most original and one of the most beautiful out there.

When I first sniffed Angel, it didn't strike me as being anything fantastic, though I could appreicate how others had come to admire it. The top notes were a fine blend of spices, Bergamot, patchouli and other notes which give Angel it's rich and complex top layer aroma. But this kind of scent wasn't quite my taste.

But when I sniffed this a few hours ago the middle and base notes came out and WOW! This perfume has thee most delicous chocolate note I've ever smelt. It genuinely does make me want to eat chocolate and it seems to last for days (2 and a half so far). The lasting power is great and it would look beautiful on any dressing table.

But in spite all this I'ld only get a mini or sample because it's expensive, it's also commonly worn and this one is also bad for my diet. ;)

13 March, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

This fragrance is so very unique! I am one of the unfortunates who cannot wear it well. When I get a whiff of Angel on someone else, it's intoxicating...however, after about 30 minutes of his on my own skin, I smell like I've stuck a chocolate bar under each arm ~ not pretty! It just seems 'too much' for me to wear for any length of time. If this original Angel is not to your liking, I suggest trying the floral Angel's. I'm in love with the patchouli base! The drydown is sexy - in an angelic way! Oh yeah, my husband really likes it too.

05/2008 update :

Finally, I have found enjoyment in wearing this treasure...it's called EXTRAIT! Just a dab, lasts all day long! Absolutely stunning! The great thing about Angel is there are so many options available ~ you just need to spend some time finding the way to wear it that works best for you! Now I can love wearing this one along with the rest of you!

07 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2008)

snikersprincess's avatar

This smell is almost wonderful. One can smell how good it could be if it had just a tad less patchouli. The choclate is a wonderful- Godiva-type quality. The vanilla and carmale are rich and warm. And then comes the patchouli. All those wonderful food notes seem to DROWN in a thick cloud of patchouli. If Thierry Mugler had created this fragrance with just a fourth less patchouli this fragrance would be my favorite. But, as it is, one should wear this with a very, very light hand. That patchouli is just too potent!

04 March, 2006

Rue's avatar

I love Angel, and more importantly Angel loves me. It is warm, soft, sweet but not cloying and it melds with my chemistry perfectly creating the most discreet-yet-sexy sillage. On me it is downright ethereal.

23 February, 2006

laylabriar's avatar

I steered clear of Angel for years because I didn't like the way it smells on most people. Then someone spritzed it on me when I wasn't paying attention and I fell in love with it, ten years after all the hype. On me, you can't smell the chocolate, vanilla, or caramel at all... my body chemistry seems to bring out the honey note most strongly, and under that, cedar or cypress maybe. It reminds me of the eastern Mediterranean... a trip to Yugoslavia and Greece in childhood. I find it very warm and sexy but it has to be applied very sparingly and preferably in places where air can circulate, like the back of the neck.

22 February, 2006

totalparfumlove's avatar

Erm...I thought the bottle was really really cute. The guy at the department store said that most girls my age (high school) bought it because it was a sweet kind of "gobble me up" kind of scent. But for me it was really kind of too sweet and gave me a bit of a headache!

14 January, 2006

scenteur7's avatar

Been wearing this one for nearly 10 years now and NEVER tire of it. A perfect gourmand tht never fails to thrill me. Warm, sweet, slightly edgy (patchouli), and with a fruity tinge. Always elicits compliments and lasts forever. Constantly being "borrowed) by roomamtes and friends...sexy!

14 January, 2006

drlake66's avatar

This is another perfume that I thought I would love - I mean c'mon chocolate, caramel & vanilla, I should've been in heaven. And for a short time I was. When I first used this perfume I adored it. That didn't last long. Within a few weeks I couldn't bring myself to wear it anymore. I eventually gave it away. Now I can't even bear to smell it on someone else. I have the same type of flashback reaction to Angel and I have to Poison. I find it cloying and overwhelmingly sweet.

08 January, 2006

teflondog's avatar

This to me seems like a darker and more masculine version of A*men. In fact, a guy could wear this without any problem at all. It has a heavy dose of patchouli and woods in the base that make it brooding. Just like its counterpart, it has extremely impressive sillage and longevity. While I still prefer A*men, this is still the first gourmand scent and it's a classic. It does seem to generate a lot of mixed responses. Some love it while others absolutely hate it, but at least it's never described as being boring or mediocre.

07 January, 2006

Jae's avatar

On me? Absolutely unwearable with a suffocating sillage that was pure Eau De Candle-shoppe. A frightening and cloying melange of churn inducing molecules all competing to see who could be the first to make me lose lunch. All I could do was scrub vigorously with lemon soap and then apply a heavy layer of Bandit over the remaining goo-residue in hope it would be whipped silent.

24 December, 2005

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

My first reaction upon testing this was YUCK!!! I have to say gourmand's or floral gourmand's have never really been my thing. On me Angel smells like cotton candy that has been marinating in cough syrup all day in the hot sun. It did last a long time and I finally couldn't take it and scrubbed it off. To me Angel is a bit similar to Lolita Lempicka EDT (which I also despised).

03 December, 2005

davinalondon's avatar

only one word needed - GLORIOUS..i first discovered this in Germany and soon everyone was wearing this...on me it smells heavenly...but i agree on some people its like BO....always gets noticed but some people tend to spray far too much. With this one, less is more..

18 October, 2005

Chinky's avatar

I certainly prefer wearing Angel Men, but just for SG I thought I'd try Angel Women. Very nice and I like the warm foods that you smell at first, but I didn't care for the dry down. Apparently there are no floral notes but on me it dried down to a honey floral. Very sexy on women though!

11th October, 2005

IPaidForThisName's avatar

Angel is wonderful. Angel holds a place in the legends of perfume, right next to Chanel No. 5. Angel is a brilliant and innovative fragrance for women, that was such a huge departure; there are no floral notes in Angel. This is a sweet, rich gourmand fragrance for women. It’s delicate while being seductive and unique. Brilliant fragrance.

29 September, 2005

calchic's avatar

Angel, Angel, Angel - I know this is one of the most popular and revelatory scents of the latter 20th century, and I have no reason to dispute its standing as such. But when it comes to wearing this fragrance myself, I am one of the unlucky ones who've learned the hard way just how truly awful patchouli - which I frankly love on its own o rin other types of compositions - can become when combined with profusions of sweetness. In short, Angel just stinks on me. And this is not for lack of trying; in fact, I still stubbornly refuse to delete it from my fragrance holdings in the belief that one day, someday, I will wake up and put it on and have it smell as indescribably beautiful on me as it smells on others. This process has been going on for more than a decade in my life, from back when Angel was first launched. I had read about the notes, so new, so different - chocolate, caramel, vanilla, honey? Hello, I'm there! - and rushed out to Bloomingdales to secure a bottle. And the bottle, and the package - entrancing in and of themselves! I was so ill-prepared for the consequences of that other little note that I'd innocently overlooked. And so, the very first day I wore it, an Indian summer day that started out chilly-crisp and ended up in the high 80s and for which I was not properly prepared, dressed as I was in my first heavy sweater of the season and a thick wool skirt...Well, let's put it this way: my prevailing thought for that day was, "Gosh, I definitely need to apply more deoderant, I'm sweating up a storm!" I mean, I was at work all day - it's not as though I could do a pit-check every half an hour, so I just naturally assumed it was me that smelled so rank thanks to the unexpectedly hot weather married with my ultimately innappropriate outfit. The Angel itself went unsuspected. For about a week, this type of thing went on, with the late fall warmth getting blamed for something really being rendered by the effects of patchouli combined with candy. And then, like that - it turned cold. Highs in the 50s. And the truth was revealed, the source uncovered; I became enlightened. It's been an uphill battle with this scent ever since, though I must say that with some affection. It's impossible to really hate Angel, I think. It's just got a little devil in it somewhere in there, that's all.

28 September, 2005

dionysian's avatar

delicious. i am not a big-time perfume lover, and yet i must drench myself in Angel. i have many body products by Angel, all of which are very good. the lotion and the shower gel are great. it captivates you and keeps you a happy prisoner of its deliciousness.

20th September, 2005