Neutral Reviews of Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about Y by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

This is one simple, feminine perfume, how can i describe it?

How to describe colour white?

For me this falls into category of female perfumes that i dont understand: cold,white, elegant yet doesn't touch me......i think aldehydes are the main culprit, their synthetic hair spray touch...

It warms up in the dry down, but the synthetic feel stays too long for me, this smells too serious.i go neutral on personal taste

23 March, 2013

LadyDragonFire's avatar

I thought I was in love with this fragrance when I smelled it in the bottle, but unfortunately it's another one of those perfumes that I don't care for as much when I actually smell it on me. It's not really a bad fragrance, but it's definitely a perfume I have to be "in the right mood for." If I'm slightly cranky (like I am today LOL) this scent doesn't really do anything to pick me up. It is a very sweet green floral (think tuberose and lily of the valley..both are really dominant.) I don't necessarily hate that type of perfume, but it's not necessarily my favorite thing either. This one also contains a lot of aldehydes giving it that really "soapy" kind of smell. Honestly, I can see this being a perfume that people at the office might complain about if a woman wore it to work (and perhaps if she accidentally spritzed too much on.)
    Of course, if you love the type of fragrance I'm describing here (both very sweet and very green with lots of floral aldehydes) then you'll probably love this.
    Otherwise, you might want to pass.

04 October, 2011

Red Theodora's avatar

I am torn on my opinion of Y. Now, first I must say the sample I have is the current formulation of the edt. I don't get any fruity notes at the top, just a massive whiff of alcohol. But after the alcohol clears away, the heart is very nice. All cool green and fresh. The oakmoss at the base is the star for me (love my oakmoss!).
    Y is a very well-proportioned fragrance and it has the YSL elegance to it, but I still find it spinsterish. Which is odd coming from me because I have been such a fan of perfumes others have considered dated and old-fashioned.

22 August, 2011

Qwerty2008's avatar

Hmmm, I really wanted to like this perfume, the notes soundly exactly like what i would love....what I got was an old-fashion blast at first spray, pungent and chemical. The middle and base are floral-powdery, not unpleasant, but they don't lift me to ecstatic heights either. I don't get much "green" at all, and the florals are musty and "perfumey", not fresh and heady like most modern florals. The drydown is sweet, though powdery, but it wasn't worth the wait. On the whole, not disagreeable, but not something I would buy again, and will likely swap my bottle away if anyone's interested.

14 April, 2009

Ayala's avatar

If Yvresse reminded me of bubbly whispers of Chant d’Aromes, Y immediately shouts the chant out loud. The similarity here is not in the base notes but rather in peachy top notes and the floral bouquet – the innocent yet intoxicatingly sweet honeysuckle and gardenia. There is also a slap of green aldehydes which give it a dominant, bold entrance which is distinct and at the same time similar to other big-time green aldehydic chypres – there is a reference to Miss Dior and Ma Griffe yet without the intensely animalic base; the brisk sharpness that can be found in Private Collection and it also reminds me somehow of AnaisAnais and Laura Ashley’s No. 1.

Although it starts off very floral Y turns to be a lot drier than expected as it develops on the skin. The big statements of gardenia and honeysuckle are replaced by a more sophisticated dry and sober disposition. The heart notes reveal a more green and dry aspect of the rose and the hyacinth, anchored by the dry and green notes of vetiver glimpsing from its base. The phase is not as mossy and Chypric as might be expected. There is very little presence if at all of oakmoss not to mention the other notes listed. It is more woody and dry than anything else - almost to the point of becoming leathery. Vetiver and patchouli are in charge for quite sometime, before the dryout arrives with the re-emergence of warmth by way of oakmoss, civet and benzoin.

07 June, 2008