Neutral Reviews of Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about Paris by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Cricketkitty's avatar
    Cricketkitty

I little too girlie for me. It is a light, sweet, extremely rose and floral scent, that on me smelled the same from start to finish. There is nothing objectionable about this fragrance--after all in the mid 80s we all owned a bottle of it--but its just too little girlie and "pink" for me now.

Good fragrance for tweens.

09 September, 2012

Leilahdancer's avatar
    Leilahdancer

Sweet soapy rose with very romantic, "girlie" feel. Not bad, but not my style.

Would be great if lightly applied on a young girl.

03 March, 2012

jtd's avatar
    jtd

One of the few perfumes that is 80’s in style, size and exuberance but can still be worn today without irony. It’s a cartoon-like rose with candied violet. A bit shrieky up top, but fortunately by the heartnotes the rose grows citric and astringent, lending a sweet/tart quality to the accord. Paris has a crystalline quality similar to Guerlain’s Nahema, but is far less dense and juicy than Nahema. Paris gains a woody, musky quality in drydown, but remains true to the artifice and exaggeration of its era and is proudly an 80’s Huge Floral.

08 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 September, 2011)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

This olfactory tribute to the parisian way of life is a classical aldehydic floral-chypre with a woody powdery dry down. As many others do, at the beginning i don't smell a prominent rose but a starring aldehydic violet. The latter indeed is mainly notable in the first part of development when soars freshly musky in the wind on the flank of sophisticated iris and delicate jasmine. The following rose is a bit old fashion in its link with initial angular citrus and is tenacious cause contributes to build the powdery and restrained in sweetness base where the link of rose-musk-sandalwood-iris exudes a sort of talky, "bodily", reduced in mildness final whiff.

11th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2014)

Silmaril's avatar
    Silmaril
    Serbia Serbia

I really wanted to love Paris. All these comments made my expectations high, but on my skin, this flowery monster turn out to be boring, faint floral. Twin sister of boring Bulgari Voile de jasmin. No rose, no violet, just some boring white flowers:( Longevity cca 1,5 h?!? Silage - none. Unbelievable... I'll have to try another bottle, I just can't believe that we're talking about same Paris...

21st April, 2011

sophulla's avatar
    sophulla
    Germany Germany

I think, in the Eighties, for young girls with romantic ambitions, it was difficult to escape the fascination of "Paris", even if, in reality, it was too strong, too much "Madame" for us...
    I still think it was ('was' because I am speaking of the original version) a very original and distinct scent, with a quite fizzy, capricious floweriness. But it is not any more for me...

25 March, 2011

mikey_p's avatar
    mikey_p

I must admit that I have a slight problem with Sophia Grojsman's work. Whilst her compositions ofter work rather well, they all seem to share a rather chemical and strident nature. Paris is no exception starting off with a blast of violets and a rose that is so sweet and cloying that i feel like i need to step out for air. Even when she is allowed a much larger budget than usual, as she probably had for frederic Malle, she produced Outrageous!, as chemical and cheap as any of her previous offerings. Sorry, no can do.

25 January, 2011

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

l got very little rose from this, just sweet, cloying parma violets all the way from beginning to end. l like parma violets, but l didn't enjoy smelling VERY strongly of them ALL DAY. l'll give it a neutral because the sillage is so powerful & it lasts & lasts, unusual on my skin. l just can't think of any occasion where l would want to wear this.

13 September, 2010

luchen's avatar
    luchen

Delicate, romantic, feminine, pretty, bright... Paris is one of the "loudest" perfumes I've ever owned. I wouldn't recommend it for day wear, unless applied very lightly. The first time I tried Paris, it felt like a big bouquet blossomed right in front of my eyes, with all the roses, violets, jasmines going on. The floral opening note struck me so much that I purchased a bottle right away. However, when I came home, the dry down kicked in, which is not as bright and cheerful. With my skin chemistry, the sandelwood smells like a scented soap.

I still love the floral quality of this fragrance, and just wish it'd stay true to the floral scene throughout. The drydown feels a bit too mature and gloomy.

21st November, 2008

purplebird7's avatar
    purplebird7

Paris was underwhelming for me. I feel bad saying this because I wonder about my sanity when so many other people like this perfume. It came out of the bottle smelling interesting, like minty violets on a bed of rose petals. Then it developed no further nuances on my skin. It merely remained a nice floral and no more. (For comparison, I put Coco on my other hand, and that one had much more character and smelled much better throughout its development.)
    I thought hard about another time that this happened: it was with Bulgari Pour Femme. Same thing--violets and roses, okay but nothing special. Then I noticed that both were by Sophia Grojsman, so I guess that is the commonality. Her rose and violet theme doesn't wear well on me.

15 May, 2008

lannansidhe's avatar
    lannansidhe

I don't like rose perfumes, most make me sneeze, but this one is good on me.
    I wouldn't buy it again, but I will use up and decant the bottle I have. My mother (in her 60's) loves red roses and perfumes that smell as such and she would love this!
    It's not smoky and mysterious for me, but on those days I need something clear and bright it is nice. It is a much more complex rose perfume than most, I will give it that. I sometimes layer it with Nu lotion for depth, that helps.

28 April, 2007

TDDanae's avatar
    TDDanae

This smells like a very beautiful rose floral to me. Even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with it that I can smell, it is a little boring to me. I think it is because I have worn florals all my life and have really gotten tired of them. I like something with a little more zing to it, unless it has a lot of Jasmine or perhaps something very tropical.

14 November, 2006

deepthought's avatar
    deepthought

Memories of being smothered by fumes on a bus bound for the City in the 1980's. Everyone was wearing, or one of it's clones, and it was all too much for me. I still can't get past the sour opening note when I catch a whif of this.

07 September, 2006

karolinka's avatar
    karolinka

I had heard so many positive things about Paris that I just HAD to buy it.Unfortunately it's just not "me" though.I do like the rose fragrance but on me it's too strong and it lasts and lasts.Perhaps the Paris Premieres Roses would be better with my chemistry???

05 June, 2006

kewart's avatar
    kewart

Have you seen Amelie(the film)? This is Paris in a bottle. Love the pink colour packaging -very girlie- and the overiding smell of roses. It's a bit on the powdery side for me, but I wear it occasionally none the less. Good garden party scent.

09 February, 2006

FRAGRANCESTAR's avatar
    FRAGRANCESTAR

not my kind of scent ,don't usually use florals.
    it is very rose based. apparently yves saint laurent was inspired by Paris to create this and used some of the roses growing in his garden.
    how sweet