Reviews of X-Centric by Dunhill

Find out more about X-Centric by Dunhill in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Bigtruck260's avatar

OK - this one was my go-to in the early 2000's....and if I could find it cheap in quantity, I would be wearing it again. On my skin, it had a tobacco type smell (which I love) and it was pretty even and fresh. I had to layer it pretty good for an evening out...and I guess that helped with the longevity. I found it to be masculine and sexy - and the wife dug it too.

20th February, 2011

nightcutter's avatar

I normally like Dunhill fragrances - a lot.

But this is rubbish.
    It's VERY light.
    All I smell is a weak rubbery note and maybe a bit of ozone.
    Stays incredibly close to the skin.
    Stupid bottle top as well.
    Very disappointing.

24 January, 2011

AnimaSola's avatar

This is the only Dunhill fragrance that I've worn and not enjoyed. I bought it blind, and since it was Dunhill I thought it would be appealing to me. It has a weird and synthetically cloying smell, not unlike Burberry Touch and Kenzo colognes. A major disappointment.

12 January, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar

I really wanted to like this perfume a lot. Judging just by its notes it sounded so apealling, but I could not find the "Eccentricity" of this perfume at all. It is so common, actually it reminds me of several other scents. The word for it is "mediocre", and that is being generous. On the other hand, it is not repulsive, it is actually pleasant and I could wear it anytime, specially if I want to go unnoticed because it will no call the attention of anybody. (Good "camouflage" scent???) LOL

12 December, 2010

warlandsboy's avatar

I used to wear this a lot in highschool as I found it to be very clean, simple, and non-offensive to those around me. Some may say it's a bit generic smelling, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you want, right?

04 September, 2009

X-Centric: synthetic to the max but not necessarily unpleasant: Annoying opening - generic middle - nice base.

10th August, 2009

Algharb's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Feel very fesh with it. Not a long lasting one, and a bit confusing towards the end... Will not by another bottle - yet, a nice EdC for Summer time.

20th November, 2008

Max1mu51's avatar

Everybody, meet Mr. Cologne Chameleon. He adapts to any and every environment, wore it to work yesterday and its smoothness blends in to make a great office wearable cologne. Then after re-applying, my wife and I went to church, and it changed its color once again. So chic and cutting edge. It’s good enough to wear with a suit. It's jovial, sexy, woody, sweet, slightly spicy, very aromatic, good silliage, average longevity. I used to wear this when if first came out, and forgot all about it, years down the line I got to thinking about how great is was and purchased a bottle. This is swiftly going to the top of my collection.

-MAX

13 November, 2008

Shaheen's avatar

One part fresh aquatic fragrance mixed with one part spicy woody fragrance. It's all quite subtle to my nose. Not as in-your-face and synthetic as some of the other Dunhill fragrances. It's nice, but not nice enough to add to my "To Buy" list.

30th September, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

An oily fresh aromatic aquatic. Spicy as well. Unique. Nice woody drydown.

05 July, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

CologneJunkie says it best: Hugo or some such nonsense, with a none-too-lovely drydown of cheap deodorant soap. The PERFECT gift this Christmasolstihanumas for any relatives you love to hate (and vice versa).

16 October, 2007

Dimitrios's avatar

Hmmm .... weak thin & watery .. smells like a child covered in watermelon ,, thank god for Edition & others by Dunhill

26 May, 2007

paul's avatar

I'm still wearing it It still smells weird (Police is reminiscent) and I still love it

04 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 07 August, 2010)

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

A modern sporty, fresh smell. I love the smell, but it does not have much dimension and surprisingly top, middle and base notes blend together. I would admit it is kinda generic smelling, ie a Nautica cousin, but it is nice and more modern. The staying power is above average although truth be said, Nautica Competition stays a bit longer. A sporty daywear. Good fragrance for the price.

21st January, 2007

Jon_Remy's avatar

I bought this a couple of years back. I didn't buy it outright, but sprayed it on my wrist and left the store. I kept having to smell my wrist throughout the day because I found it to be rather quite pleasing. I was quite surprised (for a blue fragrance) that it lasted almost all day. I ended up buying it and have bought it ever since. A very clean fragrance that has a lasting quality. To tell you the truth, you can't go wrong with ANY Dunhill fragrances. In my opinion, Dunhill creates some of the most original and lovely fragrances that LAST. I particularly love the classis Dunhill Edition. I think Desire smells like Ferrari Black. ALL Dunhill fragrances are WINNERS and you can't go wrong with ANY of them.

26 October, 2006

Ronald's avatar

Very nice, if somewhat middle-of-the-roadish. A pleasant, fruity/fresh aquatic with a woody drydown that's most appropriate for daytime/office wear. Discreet, and lasts a fairly long time. Along with AdG, this was a signature scent of mine when I was working on my dissertation, so I tend to think of it as a "grad school" fragrance. Not necessarily for the youngsters, but not for the oldsters either... best for the in-between thirty-somethings.

14 October, 2005

CologneJunkie's avatar

I was at Marshall's today checking out their sales & I saw this. I gave it a quick spritz on the back of my hand. BLECH! Way too strong and masculine for my liking. I asked the nearest SA where the bathroom was & she said in the back behind the shoe racks. Well, when I got to the shoes, I found they had several pair of Converse Chuck Taylors, which I adore. So I checked out the Chucks for several minutes before I got to the bathroom to wash it out. Before I took the soap to the back of my hand, I sniffed what the drydown was like. To me, it smelled just like Hugo! Again, blech. So I scrubbed my hand, and of course 3 hours later I can still smell it. Now, it smells like Coast soap.

13 September, 2005

dallasconundrum's avatar

I will start off by saying that I am big fan of the dunhill line. This fragrance is no exception. However, it is not among my favorites of the brand. It IS a good scent though, just not as impressive as some of the others. I really like the topnotes, but I like the dry-down less. Upon dry-down it is very woodsy to me which is nice but not my favorite type of scent. The cedar note really rings through to me as it dries down. So, all in all a positive review, the fragance is worth a shot, but I won't say buy it blind. Walk don't run for this one.

31st August, 2005

chris_cologne's avatar

Good, not great. Kind of a fruity, aquatic mix. The top notes have a tarty "zinginess" to it that evokes the products name. The bottle, like its predecessor is great. Hopefully this house will continue to move forward in the future and not go the way of Davidoff.

22 December, 2003

Stuey's avatar

X-tra boring! --Dunhill is appealing to the masses on this debockle. It's not a bad scent at all, but it's neither original OR memorable in the least. Run-of-the-mill scent; comes out fresh, fades fast.

02 July, 2002 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2003)

Vialman's avatar

I was at a local Macy's today, and they had X-Centric, and samples!!! Vialman was happy:-) I did get a bottle ( couldn't resist) and body lotion and shower gel!! Cha Ching!!! Jackpot!! I like the watery floral mix... very aquatic! The clary sage and freesia really stand out on my skin as well!!

06 September, 2001

keoniahlo's avatar

I just picked up a spankin' new 100ml bottle today at the local dunhill boutique. The bottle follows in the footsteps of it's awesome older brother, Desire...very cool indeed
    All I can say is I LOVE THIS SCENT! Can't put my finger on any particular note at this time...heck, can't really compare it to anything else I've whiffed in the past. I would say that it does fit right into the same family as their last fragrance, Desire, but it's not as spicy; sort of an understated boldness (oxymoron?) about it that I really like. It exudes confidence & maturity. Definitely not something the high school guy's gonna dig (not to dis any high school members here, just referencing the age/taste thing)
    I like dunhill Desire a lot--but I really, really like X-Centric. I loved it at first whiff! To be honest, the first time I tried Desire, I didn't really care for it...but that's probably because it, too, is quite different from most fragrances out there--but it's really grown on me--not to mention the frequent compliments that I get from women when I wear it :-). The best part of my story is that MY WIFE LIKES IT. For those of you that know me, that's been the hardest part of my quest for the ultimate fragrance--the WAF (wife acceptability factor).
    My personal rating for X-Centric: I give this one a two thumbs-up. Five stars. A+. Da bomb. Yeah, baby!

03 September, 2001

scentimus's avatar

No I was not impressed ! It smells very much like Nautica Latitude and Longitude.
    The bottle is quite impressive a much funky modern purple version of the Desire bottle.
    I was very much impressed with Desire when it first came out. This one is a let down.

01st September, 2001