Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Ersjr6983's avatar
    Ersjr6983

This is a truly amazing fragrance. Complete opposite of a linear fragrance. I personally love this one from start to finish. Definitely a fall or winter scent that will get you noticed. Some will love it and some will the it but hey there's no pleasing everyone. As soon as my sample is gone I will be purchasing a 100ml bottle if this. This scent makes me want to try all of Thierry mugler's line of fragrances.

24 February, 2014

juggrenaut's avatar
    juggrenaut

I created an account just for the purpose of writing a review on this fragrance. I purchased this cologne blindly (worst mistake I've ever made) and sprayed a very small amount on my skin to test it out. The nausea that ensued, coupled with headache from the fumes, is something that I will never forget. I only wish I was exaggerating or joking, it really was that bad.

Maybe it is just my sense of smell, or how it reacts with my skin, but I must say that this will go down as one of, if not the worst purchase I've ever made.

Please please please do yourself a favor and find this in a store and try it out before you even think of buying it. As it stands, I'm giving away my bottle (which is full but for one half-spray).

Pros: Admittedly, the dry down isn't that terrible, but it takes too long to reach, and isn't even close to pleasant enough to be worth the wait.

Cons: It made me nauseous. Extremely pungent in a very horrible way.

21st February, 2014

Daniel C.'s avatar
    Daniel C.

This stuff just ruined my day. I've been reading some of the reviews on this and thought I'd swoop by the mall at lunch and spray some on to see for myself. One tiny little squirt on my wrist; really, that's it. I'm back here at work and the whole office is pissed off at me. My presence is filling the building. I've tried to wash it off twice but it's still hitting me like a punch in the face. Everyone knows it's me. This is like a cruel practical joke. Forget the "notes" or whatever. People are starring and I have a meeting in an hour. This would be funny if I could get it off. But I can't. I'm a little bit embarrased.

Make sure you spray yourself at least 6 times before you go to work. You'll get noticed. Chicks will dig you. Your boss will love it.

(just kidding. don't ever do that.. really.)

Maybe onion will get it off.

11th February, 2014

pluvio's avatar
    pluvio

Wearing A*Men is little like dressing like a rock star: you will stand out, you will get attention, not all of it good. I have put a *single shot* on after my morning shower and still been able to smell it 23 hours later upon waking up.

The scent itself is lovely, I will let others with more refined noses discuss the notes. If you like the scent it is an easy buy, but you damn well better like it because you will be smelling it all day. I wish the bottle had a 'half shot' selector switch.

While I do like it, this one is relegated to my "one in a while" pile with my skinny jeans and band t-shirts.

06 February, 2014

Luxus's avatar
    Luxus
    Chile Chile

The best part of this fragrance is the bottle...

...seriously, forget about the content of this designer bottle, guaranteed to stand out in your bathroom - but why would someone buy a fragrance only for the refillable bottle in chrome or gold version?

What about the fragrance?

In my humble opinion its definitively not for men !
    It's a cloying, sticky and extremely sweet scent, very loud and strong, guaranteed to radiate for more than 10 meters around you. Could be defined as the extract of a couple of boxes of different kind of chocolates, M$M's, some sweets from your kids last birthday party mixed with a couple of drops of honey and caramel.
    If you wish to walk around as something edible and yuckyly sweet, go ahead.
    To be honest, I bought this stuff (blind) on ebay and gave it upon arrival to my mother in law as a gift - to whom else should I have given this powdery and cloying subtance without feeling guilty? However I asked her to keep the bottle for me, once she finishes its content... hope it won't take forever.

15 January, 2014

rum's avatar
    rum
    Greece Greece

Seriously, this is meant to be a fragrance for men or an air freshener?
    I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would wear such a strong and loud scent. Maybe if I were dancing around all night in a club, this could be my fragrance, but in the real world no thanks. This stuff is cloying, powdery, unimaginative and the packaging is virtually satanic. Eau Hell no!!

09 January, 2014

lefty99's avatar
    lefty99

This frag is perfect for days when it's freezing cold. The overwhelming note to me is chocolate and it only works for me on bitterly cold days or nights. You can get by with samples if 32 degree weather is only a small part of your year.

06 December, 2013

Vile

Vile, plutonium-strength confection.

Pros: Lasts forever
    Cons: Sickly"

26 October, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

Not love or hate, love AND hate

As the title says, this really is love and hate, not love or hate. Something about a sweet gourmand such as this that is both titillating and just resulting, depending on the moment. To me, I mostly get chocolate and patchouli, from start to finish. Best strategy for this one is the smallest spay to the lower chest or stomach, just so there is some distance and space from its intensity/projection. Sexy in molecules, horrific when normally applied.

22 October, 2013

Public Restroom

Seriously? This smells like a public bathroom. Don't wear this.

Pros: Great Bottle
    Cons: Everything"

22 October, 2013

brhoos's avatar
    brhoos

Very strong stuff....

I smelled a sample at the store on a tester strip and fell in love with stuff. Then I committed to spraying ONE squirt on my skin while I walked through the stores for a few hours. By the second hour, I left the mall to drive home and specifically to wash this stuff off of me. I drove home with the windows and sunroof open and this stuff was still smelling strong throughout the car. Got home, used rubbing alcohol all over my arm, and then took a soapy shower and the scent was still very much there.

Now, I did get a compliment in the elevator but it wasnt a "what are you wearing" comment but more of a "sniff, sniff... I smell something strong... Oh it's your cologne... Nice". This stuff smells like an air freshener. Now I will say, that the scent after I showered smelled pretty nice. I think the problem might be that the tester sprayed sooo much with one squirt. It was like a spraying a bottle of formula 409.

Pros: Incredible longevity and reach.
    Cons: Overpowering and too sweet smelling"

20th October, 2013

commodity12's avatar
    commodity12

EWWWW

I thought it was just me but I can't stand the smell of this cologne. It projects TOO much and it smells really cheap. I don't understand all the hype.

Pros: cheap
    Cons: projection is unreal"

09 September, 2013

mercutio's avatar
    mercutio

Make the whole planet smell you.

This stuff projects to the point where you almost need to crack a window. Longevity is unmatched by any fragrance I've ever come across. You will smell like it. Your clothes will smell like it. Your house will smell like it. Hell, even your washing machine and shower will smell like it.

Opening note is almost horrendous with the tar. It smells like someone poured asphalt nutella and coffee in a used ashtray. But it seems necessary to get the final sweet symphony that makes me feel, for lack of a better word, yummy. I find that my wife snuggles a little closer to me after a long day of wearing this beast.

All I can really say is; tame that beast, face your fear, go buy a bottle, spray it on, wait 4 or 5 hours, then leave your house. Lol, I'm kidding. But this is a great example of a scent that you should definitely try before you buy and give it a chance to open up before you throw it in the trash.

Pros: Longevity. Dry down.
    Cons: To a point, projection. Opening notes. "

07 September, 2013

VanMarlton's avatar
    VanMarlton

Loud and sweet

This was one of many samples I picked up at Nordstrom and it seems like one of those controversial, love/hate type of frags. It is very bold on opening and extremely sweet throughout, which was quite awhile actually with solid longevity. It also reminded me of something very lady like, and 50+ type of ladylike at that. There is a lot of hype that also goes for Pure Malt but if it is in any way similar to this one then it would be a let down.. Definitely not my cup of tea.

03 August, 2013

BLACKELVIS's avatar
    BLACKELVIS

Mmm... Bold Flavor.

I had been wanting to try A*Men for years, but it just never happened until this past week. I received a few samples of it from a friend of mine, and I've honestly been on the fence about it since the first day. At times I feel that it's a scent that I am biologically incompatible with. Yet, at other times, I have a sudden desire to smell it... again, and again, and again. It's quite strange the way it toys with my emotions, as I can't recall ever feeling this way before with any other fragrance. Predominant notes of bold, woody (Cedar to be exact) musk and incense, and eventual base notes of chocolate, mint, caramel, and a hint of tobacco. Having been raised Catholic and regularly attending mass for many years, I can put an undeniably close distinction of similarity between A*Men and the ritual incense used in the Catholic Church. It's actually uncanny how similar the two scents are. And, now that I think about it, upon my first inhalation of this fragrance, I knew there was an incredibly familiar underlying note that I just couldn't diagnose immediately. Then, as it became more subtle, the incense really started to shine through. There are many competitive bold notes in A*Men, most of which try to make a big scene in the beginning, but once they relax, it's really smooth sailing until the end.

Pros: Lasts a good length of time. Excellent sillage.
    Cons: Overly-brute strength if not careful."

18 July, 2013

lairdangus's avatar
    lairdangus

Novel, bold, interesting...but ultimately unsatisfying

A*Men is one of the most polarizing fragrances on the market today, a true "love it or hate it" product. It's legions of admirers cite the longevity and sillage, as well as the completely original combination of tar and sugar notes. Detractors can't get the sugary, syrupy caramel scent off their skin fast enough.

While A*Men is not a fragrance I would choose to wear, I concede there is much to admire here. If one can get past the neutron bomb opening, the drydown is immensely satisfying. IT reminded me of one of my favorite fragrances, Elixir des Merveilles. The difference is that where A*Men is nakedly aggressive and uncompromisingly gourmand, Elixir instead emphasizes patchouli, spice, and amber. The sweetness is still there, but it plays a supporting role. I vastly prefer Elixir, though I admit I wish it had some of A*Men's power.

As others have said, use this sparingly--one or two sprays at most. It seems well-suited for the younger set. Hard to imagine wearing this to the office and being taken seriously.

Scent: 2/5

Sillage: 5/5

Longevity: 5/5

Pros: Kaiju sillage and longevity
    Cons: Syrupy sweet, overly gourmand"

14 July, 2013

Gary F's avatar
    Gary F

Strange Combination

I would have liked this one so much more if it were either the tar note or the sweet note - or if either one of these had been combined with something else. What I dislike is this particular combination of notes. The good news is that if you like it, you will great great longevity out of it for the price. Just not for me.

Pros: Longevity
    Cons: Strange Combination of Tar and Sweet

28 June, 2013

Jridgen's avatar
    Jridgen

Dino Tar

Being a big fan of Pure Malt and Coffee I was surprised for my distaste for this one.  I have worn it several times and tried so hard to like it, but in the end it's still just a really-bad-heavy- tar-stank-bomb. Anyone I've been around in the testing process seems to agree.  The fact that it mellows out about 2/3 the way through its 15 hour nuclear longevity is not enough of a consolation.

20th May, 2013 (Last Edited: 01st February, 2014)

Bani Paul's avatar
    Bani Paul
    India India

I was always confused about this perfume.I can not actually say,if i like it or not.Very sweet.The never ending perfume.But can cause anger among people close to you because of the initial blast projection of tar.It grows so well after 8-10 hrs and becomes a truely gourmand.Somewhat ,I respect this but can not put the best comments because of the dirty first impression.Buy at your own risk.But a must have,because I smell it in my old cloths even after 1o days.Can be used by confident female enthusiasts as well.Not at all for humid climate like India.

14 May, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar
    OCNBreeze7

I Should be Riding my Harley...!!

Thierry Mugler is fast becoming my favorite cologne designer... I now own seven (7) or more of his fragrances and love them all. All are similar to the next, but each offers a different spin that becomes a unique fragrance. Well done Thierry Mugler...

A*Men comes out of the bottle hot (Hot meaning strong and can be overwhelming) with notes of tar, leather, pepper, and chocolate and then settles to a sweeter musk scent that is fantastic. I am a huge fan. The fragrance is ripe for a high "Wow Factor" as I routinely get compliments on the fragrance. It is truly unique. There are plenty of nay-sayers out there and I will admit - coming out of the bottle, most Mugler's fragrance are not so appealing - it is the dry down that becomes pleasant. And the beauty - the Mugler fragrances, including A*Men, last all day. There is no problem lasting eight (8) hours on the skin and until the next day on clothing.

I would feel comfortable wearing A*Men any season and for any event, but I suppose the experts say that fall or winter are most appropriate time with evening wear as ideal. Me - anytime and anywhere..!! The bottle and packaging are first class and Mugler offers that "above and beyond" customer service with registering your fragrance. The bottle designs are unique and "the jury is still out" on whether I like them. I can't see the "rubber bottles" and would expect something more fitting - I have the small bottle of A*Men that is clear - I love clear bottles that allow seeing the clarity of the fragrance.

The price/value is a slight deduction - but I am willing to pay more for longer lasting fragrances. As I routinely say, I have lots of problems - but money isn't one of them..!!

My final evaluation of A*Men is 4.5 stars out of 5 stars. Only the (rubber) bottle design and price/value away from perfection. The fragrance is awesome and I definitely recommend buying - just brace yourself for that initial blast and wait (keep telling yourself to wait) for a few minutes for the dry down. You will be glad you did. The beauty in communication - make sure you listen constructively...!!

14 May, 2013

thines01's avatar
    thines01

I was curious about it because of all of the popular reviews on YouTube.

I bought this and (luckily) received a sample at the same time.
    In the store and on paper, it was a very interesting scent.

After about an hour on my skin (at home), it smelled like I had poured used motor oil inside of a plastic Halloween pumpkin filled with chocolate Tootsie Rolls from Halloween five years ago. I couldn't wash it off fast enough.

My wife hated it, too.

11th May, 2013

del's avatar
    del

A*Men/Angel Men reminds me of the delicious aroma of a hot chocolate rice porridge (champorado) on a cold morning. Distinctive, especially the opening "tar" note, which gives it a unique incense vibe. Caramel-y, sweet, chocolate-y -- the drydown is rich and creamy. Longevity is excellent, and the projection is wide, despite the reformulation rumors.

Strong, maybe too strong to some people -- one or two sprays go a long way. I agree with majority's sentiment that A*Men is a love-hate fragrance; and I fall under the love camp. This great gourmand is a must-experience.

09 April, 2013

Diogenes65's avatar
    Diogenes65

This is strange, but alluring. The tar and Chocolate work well together. I disliked it the first time I sniffed it, but it grew on me. I don't think I'd wear it in the hot humid summer though

02 March, 2013

(****)

As legions of perfumes have affirmed, it's difficult to improve on Angel's deliriously trashy and husky structure. Released two years after its mother, A*men tones down Angel's monstrous cassis backbone, keeps the tarry dissonance, and throws in a camphoraceous lavender to ensure men that they are indeed on the right side of the perfume aisle. Overall, very good, though not nearly so wonderful as its archetype.

22 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2013)

AHS's avatar
    AHS

I love the dry down as the chocolate, caramel etc is so tasty and warm and i would love to wear this fragrance on a cold day. However, i cant bring myself to wear this scent because of that horrible TAR. when i sprayed this on my skin, that tar note made me feel sick. Something about that smell that i just couldnt bare to smell.

So, unfortunately i cant wear this because the top is something i personally dont want to smell, and i wouldnt want people to smell me like that either.

But, this doesnt stop this from being a great fragrance as its got one of the best dry downs ive ever smelt.

19 February, 2013

patl's avatar
    patl

I love the opening of this, but as someone else says, it gets a bit too cloying. the vanilla and caramel could be nice if there was something slightly sharper there, as it is, I get a distinctly chocolate box vibe from it.

15 February, 2013

Dcampbell's avatar
    Dcampbell

I will never vote negative on a fragrance just because there is a note I don't like. So with that said, A*Men gets a personal negative vote or me because I just cannot stand the patchouli note. It is pure headache inducing. I really like Pure Leather o the alternative to this. I do not mind the tar note in the beginning like some may not, I just really can't stand the patchouli in this!

21st January, 2013

's avatar

Well this is a very well known gourmand scent.. caramel and vanilla mostly, extremely sweet. Smells great indeed, but sometimes gets cloying. Lasting power, sillage and projection are great/huge. This is a must have for any collector. Thumbs up!

06 January, 2013

Mattybono's avatar
    Mattybono

Wow!!! I cannot believe that THIS is getting so much love and hype!! After the skunky tar open its just too damn sweet, synthetic, and loud to be worn anywhere outside of a sweaty "mosh-pit"! (I seriously can't imagine anyone over the age of 25 wearing this!) Don't get me started on the gimmicky, refillable flask-packaging..... (But I definitely realize it certainly wasn't designed for a forty-something year old in an Armani suit sipping a martini... Which is more my speed!)
    Anyway, to each his own. Sorry kids, just not my cup of tea!

05 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2013)

Mr. TL's avatar
    Mr. TL

If you base your impression purely on reviews of this fragrance, I feel sorry for you. Some will lead you to believe this is the most repulsive, tar-like fragrance ever...what I get is an awesome incense-like vibe that is mellow and pleasing. I was expecting hot road tar, and what I got was just awesome. Shame on the negative reviewers for being so awfully biased and misleading.

26 December, 2012