Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I'm still not overly comfortable with the opening but the dry down is amazing. Super powerful and extremely unique.
28th October, 2017
Loves this stuff. Just an awesome gourmand with great performance. People talk about some tar note, have no idea what that’s about. Get vanilla, coffee, and patchouli goodness. One of my favorite gourmands.
29th September, 2017
Velvety-rich goodness is how I describe this fragrance.

I used to work in the industry as a fragrance model for Liz Claiborne when I was in college. I remember other fragrance models and reps were always begging the Angel rep for a tester. They would trade 3 to 5 of their brands for any of the Angel fragrances. All I had to offer was Curve. Lucky for me, the Angel rep loved Curve for her son so I scored a couple of testers, a mini, shower gel and aftershave balm (yes, they used to have one).

I horded this stuff like it was gold and rarely used it. But when I did, no one could deny the penetration of it's dark sweetness in the air. This fragrance is definitely not for the faint of heart.

A*Men commands attention so if you're a shy person and don't want to stand out, this fragrance isn't for you.
07th June, 2017

Just signed up to post a review of this...thing. Cologne. Being. Animal. Stuff.

I bought it based off the reviews here (many of which are hilariously well written, by the way), and I wasn't disappointed, except that I was, but then I wasn't again.

Most of you---even the ones who love it---note that the opening is "OMG what the hell did I just do to myself, I feel sullied and violated", and it is. I sprayed it and immediately thought "well there's x amount of money wasted". However, my wife smelled it immediately and said "not bad, but I don't know where to place it."

So if she said "not bad" at the OPENING of this, you can imagine that, as it dried down, she liked it more.

And, as it happens, so did I. Let me rephrase: So *DO* I, because it's still occurring. As I type this, it is evolving.

I feel as though when I sprayed this, it bonded to my skin, analyzed my soul, readjusted itself to what IT thinks I should smell like, and then presented itself as if to say "hey, we've scribbled some notes down, did some calculations, and for the next 15 minutes, you're going to smell like a cigar dipped in cocoa powder and rolled down a beachfront. Don't worry, we're made by a magician recluse who looks like a giant German bodybuilder house cat, we've got this. In 15 minutes, we'll check your insides again, and you may smell like your favorite childhood memory stuffed with vanilla beans. Enjoy."

It is SO strong on the outset, and SO...I don't even know what. I really do think it's formulated to do this, to bond to your body and figure out what it wants to do. I know it can't think for itself, but that's really what it's like. It smells NOTHING like it did when I first sprayed it, or the 15 minutes after that, or the 15 minutes after that. It finally started to settle, and when it does, it invites you in, tells you to sit, and brings you a scotch.

Definite vanilla and caramel there, but there's something bitter (a good bitter) that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe a good black and tan? Not sure. There's an initial powdery quality that I'm not overly fond of, but it fades fairly quick, and I think this is where most people get hung up, that powdery, cloying hazy bit at the beginning.

Trust me when I say it fades.

I voted this 4 stars because A) I'm still not sure if I love it as a cologne, or admire it as art, or fear it as some sort of weird Berlin Panther-Man Voodoo...and B ) Because I'm not sure what I'm not sure of. Not yet. It's still changing.

As far as sillage and longevity, pfft, no need to worry there. This stuff will announce you in much the same way that a bakery smells from across the street when someone opens the door to go in...and the weird bit is, that's actually a GOOD thing in this case.

One final thought: If the most complex thing you've worn is Curve, or even something mildly adventurous like Diesel, don't even try this. Go buy yourself some Burberry London, apply liberally, and sit in a warm room by yourself to see if you like it. If you do, then perhaps go sample A*Men. But if BL is too "strong", run like hell.
13th March, 2017
Controversial, polarizing, acquired-taste living legend of a scent from Thierry Mugler!

It's a blizzard of gourmand, woody, and spicy notes that are quite distinctive and easily noticed by others (but whether people take to it or not is another matter!). Coffee bean is very pronounced, and overall A*Men has an incense quality to it - which in itself is like incense sticks generally, where you'll like it depending on how close you are the source, as well as how MUCH is present (hint: over-applying is NOT a plus with this one!).

Sets the standard for all the flankers to come from Mugler.
26th December, 2016
Stunning. Absolutely, just stunning.

Must Spray on skin after thoroughly bathing and during the freezing temperatures for the full shebang in my opinion.

You will be blown away. A true masterpiece in its offering.

You will smell like a multitude of desserts that exudes boldness conceited like confidence of A gentle-being that is mesmerizing to all. An invigorating manly dessert of no destitute.

THIS FRAGRANCE SCREAMS, IMMMMMMMMMMM HEEEEEEREEEEEEE!!!!!!

20th December, 2016
Short take: This is a "wild" fragrance, sweet and spicy, with a warm drydown. I like it, but I prefer Armani Code (or Code Ultimate or Profumo) to which it shares a family resemblance. Code is less "wild" but more complex and amber. I have a sample, but I don't plan on buying a bottle of the A*Men. I would like to try the A*Men Pure Malt, though.
15th December, 2016
The scent, that assaults my senses from beginning to end with a shotgun blast of colour. My mind quickly clips onto the Peppermint to steady as I ride atop an explosion and a cacophony of notes. It then feels like something "toxically clean" sort of along the lines Oscar Pour Lui in drydown, I am intoxicated,hungover and need to apply another spritz kinda like to continue the status. A-Men has just enough of an oversweet Amber to cloy. It makes me want to just put it away and say "I Like it". Perhaps revisit in another ten.
06th October, 2016 (last edited: 06th January, 2017)
I get a bomb blast of burnt sugar in the opening. I don't specifically get a tar note, but I believe it is the intense sugary (burnt) blast that leads one to perceive a tar note. As countless others have observed, this fragrance needs time to develop on your skin. After about an hour, one starts to notice hints of a chocolate aroma. However, this is not an ordinary chocolate, but a delicious dark chocolate that gets richer as the hours past. After about 3 to 4 hours, the fragrance fully settles on my skin. Imagine the aroma of chocolate used to layer the most delicious chocolate chip cookie in the world, fresh out of the oven. it is simply wonderful. Just make sure you don't judge this masterpiece based on its opening after the initial spray. Give it time to develop on your skin. A gourmand for the ages.

Longevity: Comfortably 8+ Hours
Projection & Silage : Astounding - People in and around you will notice you for hours on end
26th August, 2016
Love or Hate...

Such a unique smell. Chocolate & Patchouli coupled with Coffee & Caramel. I think the main thing here is that the sweetness of the gourmand aspects are counterbalanced by the patchouli note. Without this note (and the tar as well), then this fragrance would be nauseatingly sweet. I think this is a very clever concept on the part of the perfumer.

When I first tried this, I was taken aback by the harshness of the first spray. It seems like the tar, lavender and patchouli dominate all within the first 30-40 mins. It's only until later that the coffee, chocolate and caramel blend into the composition beautifully, leaving a wonderful chocolate skin scent by the very end.

Angel Men/A*Men is a fragrance which takes you on a journey. It's not always apparent from the start where you will end up, but it's worth the wait. I would say if you are trying this for the first time, then please give it time to develop on skin. I think you must like chocolate or gourmand fragrances to warm up to this one. I am impressed and I think it's good value for money. Maybe don't overspray but nevertheless the coffee & chocolate caramel drydown at the end is irresistible and well worth the patchouli and lavender phase in my opinion. Great overall fragrance and one which was a trendsetter in perfumery. Definitely worth a try.
15th March, 2016
BoxPred Show all reviews
This has been a strange one for me. When I first sampled it I concluded that it was a foul mess. I thought it was an example of throwing together a bunch of ingredients that do not work together in a quest to be unique. The mistake I made was that I used a sample card and only got the top notes. That is exactly what not to do with any fragrance, but especially with this one. As has been said many times the initial blast can be offputting. The magnificence of A*Men reveals itself through evolution. So I revisited and sampled this on my skin. Then I bought it.

It is no secret that A*Men has great sillage and longevity. My wife complimented that I smelled great approximately 12 hours after spraying this on. It is subsequently her favourite scent on me. On my skin the initial harshness only lasts momentarily and then the longer this stays on me the better it seems to get.

So from initially hating this, I have found it to be almost like my perfect scent. I have a taste for gourmands and in hindsight I could have missed out on an essential addition to my collection. I can see why this garners polarised opinions because it represents an extreme of a fragrance genre. A lot of men, (some would say the majority) currently have a preference for fresh fragrances. I can appreciate fresher fragrances but stand firmly in the gourmand camp so this works effortlessly for me. A classic.
02nd March, 2016 (last edited: 24th May, 2016)
3rd time owning...seems to smell different each time. Formally more chocolatey, now seemingly more tarry? IDK. Still good though. I don't know if I want a 4th. Probably another flanker first.
16th February, 2016
This fragrance has hands down proven two basic facts for me...." Never Judge a fragrance in a single wearing" and "our nose change with time and age". When i first tried it in 2004 i discarded it immediately and thought of it as SHIT. those were the days when i was in love with Cool Water and only preferred fresh aquatics. Today in January 2016 this smells like heaven to me. I bought it in December 2015 Christmas and have enjoyed it thoroughly. It is a fragrance best experienced in Cold weather. It warms you up and makes you feel cozy.
Another thing about this fragrance is that it grows on you. First wearing it was ok, Second time it was Above average, third time it was good and now after a dozen or so wearings i absolutely love it. I even enjoy the harsh opening tar note to the fullest. Its to the point of being addictive now.
As a fellow member wrote this fragrance is almost like a living being. It evolves on your skin and smells different upon each wearing.
The honey and chocolate in the drydown are amazing
The coffe in the middle is spell bounding.

A true masterpiece.
14th January, 2016

This is one of the most complex fragrances i have ever come across.
It behaves differently in different conditions & keeps you guessing all the time.
The dry down after 2 hours is simply amazing, smells like a chocolate cake + cookies + rose & jasmin.

Sometimes smells like chocolate cookie dipped in with milk & made a paste of. (Real gourmand)

Projection: Excellent
Longevity: 16+ hrs

18th November, 2015
Well, as modifications go, it starts out very interestingly. The high note blasts of the original Angel (Harold Hill's Brass Band) are "subdued" by a dark, spicy woody affect that won't frighten the horses and that makes the original Angel, lurking in the background, snorting, pawing the ground, feel a bit sleepy.

No fear. In about half an hour, the dark, spicy, woody affect has disappeared and we are back to the original Angel, all the louder for the nap it has taken. Actually, I rather liked the new notes and sort of wished the original Angel had taken a powder after introducing them.

Love the original, but no need to seek out this variation, unless you want to keep spraying it every half hour. Pleasant, but so wish the new boy on the block had stayed longer.
07th November, 2015
This is bad. Just very, very, very bad.

An an experiment, or some kind of joke, then go for it, but I cannot see how anyone smelling of this can be taken for less than an attention-seeking know-nothing. I feel embarrassed for the wearer when smelling this on others.
01st November, 2015
I blind bought this over Bvlgari Black some time ago... I regretted the purchase immediately as I found out that the local retailer was not going to bring BB back ... Even though later still got the latter fragrance, I still cannot understand the hype for A*Men ... My bottle is still full and somehow feel like its going to remain like that ...

Thanks.
29th October, 2015
I got this in 2012, before it was re-formulated? I'm guessing. It has remained one of my powerhouses and has never let me down as a fragrance. It does its job.
It's one of my favourite scents although not versatile, only wear it on Cold Winter nights and days that require a sense of warmth in your life. It's a fragrance that gives you that warmth effect accompanied with good winter sense of fashion. I'm a huge fan of the tar, coffee and chocolate vibe to it.
I wear fragrances because it makes me feel a type of way, and how it correlates to my fashion. Compliments come after.
I don't really get compliments on this one however I do get asked what I'm wearing. So it will get you noticed that's for sure if that's what you're hoping for

Scent - 8 personally. 6.5 general consensus
Longevity - 10 preformulated
Sillage - 10+++
Versatility - 2
04th September, 2015
Angel Men was too sweet and synthetic for me to appreciate. I can understand it getting better reviews from the younger audience but its not for me.
20th August, 2015
I used A*men daily for about 3 months before it began to stink, on my skin at least. It changed from a smokier, less-powdery version of the womens fragrance to a dreadful Axe body spray mixed with Lemon pledge scent. It was dreadful. So I "gifted" it to my dad. He loved it, and my mother did too. It smelled great on him, as most "dark" fragrances do. So I may repurchase it in the future, but only as a gift for my father.
17th May, 2015
Salutation.

A*Men is A Great Show by THIERRY MUGLER.it is not so easy Forgettable.Definitely one of the best Frgrances in my father collection. Everytime He wore it The scent stay in our place for a long time!

Sweet,Warm and Attractive.In my opinion it is Much better than Female version.So strong opening but Gradually i found a LOVELY scent on my skin Like a Creamy Vanilla or Coffe mate!In fact it had blended so Well on my skin.

Certainly it is Sharp and Offensive if wearning Everyday and in the Hot weather even more 2 spray but when you Wearning it in Right Mood you will To see REAL NATURE it.

Where is the right mood?Generraly special Moods like a ROMANTIC evening in WINTER because in my opinion A*Men is Supplement HOT moments meantime in the Prties Most people can besotted with Your EDT.For some people It is really Heavy then you must to test it before buy!

Sillage?Excellent.

Lonegvity?Is really Weird on my skin.

7.75/10
18th April, 2015
Okay, in my whole life.... I've never smelled anything this awful. The only thing that tops this in terms of how vile it is, is Pure Malt. Honestly, Secretions Magnifiques smells better than this! A*Men and Pure Malt, both smell the same. They smell like a cat urine. Very ammonia scented. On top of that, its smokey and sweet. Just disgusting. If I was next to any man wearing this, i'd probably run the other way. Just my opinion though. Apparently, tons of people like this... I just.... I can't .... I just can't.
07th April, 2015
There was a chocolate confectionaires store in the area I grew up in 40yrs ago that my parents used to take me to when I was kid. I remember the scent of melted chocolate, candied fruit and peppermint being intoxicating. Why anyone would want to smell that way though, I just can't get my head around. AMen is the exact copy of that confection store scent. I live in Florida and can only imagine how this fragrance would turn on a hot and humid day.
27th March, 2015
Sweet and strong, this original entry is the epicenter of the A*Men legacy. The main note list of peppermint, patchouli, coffee, cedar, leather on the Mugler website is accurate. All are there, with the coffee and patchouli being most prominent, at least to me. There's not a ton of evolution to the scent, and I think its consistency is one if its greatest advantages, as the patchouli and coffee seem to slowly take over, the coffee giving a chocolate-like display, though it does not truly smell like milk or dark chocolate, or even rawer cacao.

Projection and longevity are great, as a few sprays project a few feet, and it lasts 12+ hours, with even more on clothes (also an advantage, in most cases).

For some perspective, I'd be remiss if I didn't add that after experiencing the flankers---specifically, Pure Malt and Pure Havane---the original just does not seem complete. The sweetness of the coffee isn't satisfying, as even the much-maligned Pure Coffee seems to beat out Angel Men in terms of the fragrance alone. The leather is an odd addition. There's credit to be had for the originator, but Pure Malt and Pure Havane (PH is sweeter than PM, by the way) simply blow Angel Man out of the water.

The main selling point of the original is that it's less sweet than Pure Malt or Pure Havane, if those two are too overwhelming simply because of the sweetnees. Of course, some will find Angel Man itself too sweet, and to those, I'd recommend staying away from PM, PH, PB, B*Men, Taste of Fragrance.

Very good fragrance, but not one I need to buy a bottle of since PM and PH exist.

7 out of 10
27th February, 2015
Definitely when applied to the skin properly this is a worthy scent to have in the collection.
23rd February, 2015
I really don't like this style of fragrance. This juice is far too sweet and cloying, and leaves me feeling like I've just had a huge second slice of raspberry cheesecake when I was already too full to have the first one. A fragrance that a high-school boy might get as a gift from a clueless relative. No grown man should be caught dead smelling like this.

Foul.
05th January, 2015 (last edited: 12th February, 2015)
I purchased a legitimate sample after watching DracDoc's review. I have Pure Malt and am a fan of it.

But this! I hadn't read any reviews other than watching DracDoc.

Opening notes: URINAL CAKES!!

Dries down to stale urine.

It's so bad that the similarity with Pure Malt has almost put me off Pure Malt. Almost. Not Quite.

YUK! Who wants to smell like this!?
28th October, 2014
Angel Men or A*Men is interesting and powerful juice, but as much as sampling it was interesting, I had to decide that it would be a bad habit to start wearing it. I could get used to the smell and enjoy it, but I didn't want to do that to the people around me, and when I later smelled this on someone else I was really glad I didn't buy a bottle. The stuff was so strong and distinctive that it has put me off the Thierry Mugler house, and I don't think I'll ever buy one of their fragrances.

The upside is that this is powerful stuff that presents different notes at different times and gets better and better as it dries, smelling almost like the world's best brownies at times.
08th October, 2014
As the four hundred sixty-ninth entry in the A*Men discussion I have little, if anything, to add but this - I initially, and for years after, found it to be quite revolting. I got around to trying its delicious and more focused predecessor, Animale Animale, and figured I should return to Mugler's offering later on when I understood things a little better. I still find it crassly chaotic in the opening but now I harbor a small appreciation for it for creating an opening that can keep people guessing and interested. The notes involved don't seem to blend together in the first stage, instead radiating alone in parallel lines from the body, unlike similar scents like the later Rochas Man, which is obviously cut from the same cloth but more of an intentional melange.
I'm still not in love with A*Men but I respect any frag that can use coffee and mint together without making a total mess.
04th August, 2014
This was recommended to me by a friend of mine who said it was irresistible. That's certainly one word for it. It's quite powerful, so I suppose resistance is indeed futile.

I'm...I was going to give it a thumbs down. But I waited. And I'd say almost 2 hours in is where this stops being an angry cocoa butter hand lotion and becomes something different entirely.

It's not necessarily warm. It's almost chaotic. This is certainly unique; it's as if sweet and spicy are having a land war on your skin (or my skin at least.)

I think I love it. Or hate it?

A*Men is a wonderfully unique chaos. That's my two.
10th July, 2014