Negative Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

juggrenaut's avatar
    juggrenaut

I created an account just for the purpose of writing a review on this fragrance. I purchased this cologne blindly (worst mistake I've ever made) and sprayed a very small amount on my skin to test it out. The nausea that ensued, coupled with headache from the fumes, is something that I will never forget. I only wish I was exaggerating or joking, it really was that bad.

Maybe it is just my sense of smell, or how it reacts with my skin, but I must say that this will go down as one of, if not the worst purchase I've ever made.

Please please please do yourself a favor and find this in a store and try it out before you even think of buying it. As it stands, I'm giving away my bottle (which is full but for one half-spray).

Pros: Admittedly, the dry down isn't that terrible, but it takes too long to reach, and isn't even close to pleasant enough to be worth the wait.

Cons: It made me nauseous. Extremely pungent in a very horrible way.

21st February, 2014

rum's avatar
    rum
    Greece Greece

Seriously, this is meant to be a fragrance for men or an air freshener?
    I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would wear such a strong and loud scent. Maybe if I were dancing around all night in a club, this could be my fragrance, but in the real world no thanks. This stuff is cloying, powdery, unimaginative and the packaging is virtually satanic. Eau Hell no!!

09 January, 2014

brhoos's avatar
    brhoos

Very strong stuff....

I smelled a sample at the store on a tester strip and fell in love with stuff. Then I committed to spraying ONE squirt on my skin while I walked through the stores for a few hours. By the second hour, I left the mall to drive home and specifically to wash this stuff off of me. I drove home with the windows and sunroof open and this stuff was still smelling strong throughout the car. Got home, used rubbing alcohol all over my arm, and then took a soapy shower and the scent was still very much there.

Now, I did get a compliment in the elevator but it wasnt a "what are you wearing" comment but more of a "sniff, sniff... I smell something strong... Oh it's your cologne... Nice". This stuff smells like an air freshener. Now I will say, that the scent after I showered smelled pretty nice. I think the problem might be that the tester sprayed sooo much with one squirt. It was like a spraying a bottle of formula 409.

Pros: Incredible longevity and reach.
    Cons: Overpowering and too sweet smelling"

20th October, 2013

lairdangus's avatar
    lairdangus

Novel, bold, interesting...but ultimately unsatisfying

A*Men is one of the most polarizing fragrances on the market today, a true "love it or hate it" product. It's legions of admirers cite the longevity and sillage, as well as the completely original combination of tar and sugar notes. Detractors can't get the sugary, syrupy caramel scent off their skin fast enough.

While A*Men is not a fragrance I would choose to wear, I concede there is much to admire here. If one can get past the neutron bomb opening, the drydown is immensely satisfying. IT reminded me of one of my favorite fragrances, Elixir des Merveilles. The difference is that where A*Men is nakedly aggressive and uncompromisingly gourmand, Elixir instead emphasizes patchouli, spice, and amber. The sweetness is still there, but it plays a supporting role. I vastly prefer Elixir, though I admit I wish it had some of A*Men's power.

As others have said, use this sparingly--one or two sprays at most. It seems well-suited for the younger set. Hard to imagine wearing this to the office and being taken seriously.

Scent: 2/5

Sillage: 5/5

Longevity: 5/5

Pros: Kaiju sillage and longevity
    Cons: Syrupy sweet, overly gourmand"

14 July, 2013

Gary F's avatar
    Gary F

Strange Combination

I would have liked this one so much more if it were either the tar note or the sweet note - or if either one of these had been combined with something else. What I dislike is this particular combination of notes. The good news is that if you like it, you will great great longevity out of it for the price. Just not for me.

Pros: Longevity
    Cons: Strange Combination of Tar and Sweet

28 June, 2013

Jridgen's avatar
    Jridgen

Dino Tar

Being a big fan of Pure Malt and Coffee I was surprised for my distaste for this one.  I have worn it several times and tried so hard to like it, but in the end it's still just a really-bad-heavy- tar-stank-bomb. Anyone I've been around in the testing process seems to agree.  The fact that it mellows out about 2/3 the way through its 15 hour nuclear longevity is not enough of a consolation.

20th May, 2013 (Last Edited: 01st February, 2014)

thines01's avatar
    thines01

I was curious about it because of all of the popular reviews on YouTube.

I bought this and (luckily) received a sample at the same time.
    In the store and on paper, it was a very interesting scent.

After about an hour on my skin (at home), it smelled like I had poured used motor oil inside of a plastic Halloween pumpkin filled with chocolate Tootsie Rolls from Halloween five years ago. I couldn't wash it off fast enough.

My wife hated it, too.

11th May, 2013

Mattybono's avatar
    Mattybono

Wow!!! I cannot believe that THIS is getting so much love and hype!! After the skunky tar open its just too damn sweet, synthetic, and loud to be worn anywhere outside of a sweaty "mosh-pit"! (I seriously can't imagine anyone over the age of 25 wearing this!) Don't get me started on the gimmicky, refillable flask-packaging..... (But I definitely realize it certainly wasn't designed for a forty-something year old in an Armani suit sipping a martini... Which is more my speed!)
    Anyway, to each his own. Sorry kids, just not my cup of tea!

05 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2013)

Finally24's avatar
    Finally24

My worst scent experience so far. I will never ever spray myself with this thing...

16 December, 2012

keagz08's avatar
    keagz08
    South Africa South Africa

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I've just been to sample this stuff for the first time. DISGUSTING and REVOLTING in every way possible! Never ever ever has a fragrance actually made me want to vomit until now. Got back to the office and immediately tried to wash it off my hand but it's still there! Eeeuw!

31st October, 2012

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

Don't really understand the popularity of this fragrance... It's a tarry vanilla musky scent with a viscous petroleum note that evokes thoughts of old ladies pumping gasoline. Odd but true in my opinion.

14 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2013)

#8 WIRE's avatar
    #8 WIRE
    New Zealand New Zealand

Absolutely dreadful. Smells like a coffee drinkers breath after their early morning fix. Incredible sillage and longevity - unfortunately.

21st August, 2012

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

I can't stand it, to me it's truly revolting!

05 July, 2012

smalla's avatar
    smalla

disgusting top notes, like a baking gone wrong when you mistake by putting chemical instead of baking powder in your cake mix then burnt it.
    dry down is little better, no more wired chemical smell, but unpleasantly sweet.

05 July, 2012

Johannes's avatar
    Johannes
    Norway Norway

There must be something I don't get. It seems to be wildly popular, but all I can smell is a pot of cocoa that was burned, then left to go rancid. I bet that wasn't part of the perfumer's pitch to mr. Mugler, though.

29 May, 2012

Carlos10704's avatar
    Carlos10704

Ugh... Smells Luke burnt rubber. The opening is sickening, and the dry down isn't any better. Blind bought it, and regret it.

20th January, 2012

Dsb1996's avatar
    Dsb1996

really wanted to like this because of the interesting note line-up. Disappointed, doesnt smell good at all. tar note makes it really hard to enjoy. very unusual scent thats either a love or hate. points for cool bottle and monster projection & longevity though.

12 January, 2012

moseymoose's avatar
    moseymoose

I'm a very easy person to please, especially when it comes to smells but this is the only fragrance to date that I really disliked immediately, I sprayed some on and straight away PHYEW, it was absolutely overwhelming and overpowering of a smell I dont know what but it smells burnt and and sickly, like burning sugar in a hot pan. Really nasty, the dry down isn't quite as bad, but why should you buy a fragrance that is only acceptable when it drys down, the burnt rubber/sugar/whatever smell doesn't ever go away it's just milder, which is a shame, because I wanted to like this.

08 December, 2011

Zut's avatar
    Zut

Usually, I am a sucker for ambery and reasonably candyish fragrances. I love vanilla in every shape or form and tonka is one of my favourite notes. However, I really hate the so-called "gourmand" fragrances. You are supposed to eat your cake not wear it. Angel Men makes me physically ill. No kidding. It is just too sweet, too cloying, too intense and too rich. I also detect a "mediciny" note in the composition. Could it be the tar? Anyway, I find Angel Men really loud and annoying (not as much as Angel for women, but still). I truly believe that subtelty is a very important quality for a masculine fragrance. Angel Men is anything but subtle.

01st December, 2011

acrux's avatar
    acrux
    New Zealand New Zealand

Really didn't like this one at all. The burnt tyre smell and harsh thick smell overwelmed me all day. The opening was harsh and very dark burnt smelling, I hoped it would mellow in the middle but it didn't. Couldn't wait to have a shower once I got home. Don't know who this suits but it isn't me.

30th November, 2011

AEM's avatar
    AEM

This smells so awful.

It smells like pickled ginger. If you love pickled ginger then you will love this.

16 November, 2011

Shpati's avatar
    Shpati

I do not know why this is so popular. It smells like burned food, plastic, and chocolate.

Only pro is that is lasts forever, but that means you are going to smell bad forever.

Get this away from me, and bury it.

24 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2012)

hedonist222's avatar
    hedonist222
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

I've tried over 700 perfumes.
    I love about 150 of which i own about 110.
    I like a lot and dislike some very much.
    A*Men is the only perfume to make me - in this order:

- almost vomit
    - scrub my wrist violently

The burned sugar and plastic is just disgusting.
    Sometimes I can see how a perfume may appeal to some people but personally dislike it myself. But not A*Men.

02 September, 2011

nikitary's avatar
    nikitary

This smell literally induces vomiting. I have never smelt anything so vile!!!

I did not think it was possible for a fragrance to smell this disgusting! I would rather smell the vapour on a landfill, and I am not joking or exaggerating one damn bit!

The projection and longevity are great! I put it on my wrist at the start of lunch, when I went to a nearby department store. Walking back to the office, I could not keep my writs far enough from my face, every little breeze of air put this disgusting smell in to my nose.

I washed it off with soap before I sat down to eat, but could still not get away from this horrible smell! It ruined my lunch. Even typing this, I have my keyboard as far away from me as possible and about to go try and wash this of for the second time!

I cannot smell it for long enough to be able to describe it, but I am not lying when I say “I want to be sick”.

I cannot give this crap a score of 0/10, because that would mean that I’d have to rate the smell of fresh feces at around 7-8/10

14 July, 2011

snuffty's avatar
    snuffty

Have to agree with Jack Hunter on this scent. Revisited it several times to test again and walked away convinced it is one of the worst frags I have ever smelled.Pungent and gut wrenching,took several washes to get the smell off.I suppose there is one positive and that is its strong.

09 July, 2011

barclaydetolly's avatar
    barclaydetolly

It's a tarry, acrid, sugary mess, devoid of any practical application. Stick to the flankers.

06 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th May, 2012)

SpiritOfGonzo's avatar
    SpiritOfGonzo

Disgusting on skin and on paper, I can't get past the sickly sweet bakery notes. Confounds me that people continue to buy it.

01st July, 2011

bkfist's avatar
    bkfist

Vile, retched, cloying. Had this years ago, sampled in the store, thought it was wonderful. Bought a bottle, wore it 5 times, each time the scent got more and more cloying.

Just revisited the scent 2 weeks ago while in a store, it's just as thick and nauseating as I remember it from years ago.

I would seriously rather be doused in Secretions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange than to have a single spray of this on my skin... Heck, If I had to work with someone who wore this stuff, I'd be splashing SM on my upper lip in a futile attempt to mask the A-Men the other person was wearing.

01st July, 2011

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

The most vile and disgusting fragrance ever to be created and only the devil in the depths of hell would wear this. It's toxic and vomit inducing.

07 June, 2011

Ac3ofspades's avatar
    Ac3ofspades

A really awful scent. This is so disgustingly overpowering that it makes you and anyone around you sick. It is very loud and offensive. Thumbs way down.

24 March, 2011