Positive Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Ersjr6983's avatar
    Ersjr6983

This is a truly amazing fragrance. Complete opposite of a linear fragrance. I personally love this one from start to finish. Definitely a fall or winter scent that will get you noticed. Some will love it and some will the it but hey there's no pleasing everyone. As soon as my sample is gone I will be purchasing a 100ml bottle if this. This scent makes me want to try all of Thierry mugler's line of fragrances.

24 February, 2014

Daniel C.'s avatar
    Daniel C.

This stuff just ruined my day. I've been reading some of the reviews on this and thought I'd swoop by the mall at lunch and spray some on to see for myself. One tiny little squirt on my wrist; really, that's it. I'm back here at work and the whole office is pissed off at me. My presence is filling the building. I've tried to wash it off twice but it's still hitting me like a punch in the face. Everyone knows it's me. This is like a cruel practical joke. Forget the "notes" or whatever. People are starring and I have a meeting in an hour. This would be funny if I could get it off. But I can't. I'm a little bit embarrased.

Make sure you spray yourself at least 6 times before you go to work. You'll get noticed. Chicks will dig you. Your boss will love it.

(just kidding. don't ever do that.. really.)

Maybe onion will get it off.

11th February, 2014

pluvio's avatar
    pluvio

Wearing A*Men is little like dressing like a rock star: you will stand out, you will get attention, not all of it good. I have put a *single shot* on after my morning shower and still been able to smell it 23 hours later upon waking up.

The scent itself is lovely, I will let others with more refined noses discuss the notes. If you like the scent it is an easy buy, but you damn well better like it because you will be smelling it all day. I wish the bottle had a 'half shot' selector switch.

While I do like it, this one is relegated to my "one in a while" pile with my skinny jeans and band t-shirts.

06 February, 2014

lefty99's avatar
    lefty99

This frag is perfect for days when it's freezing cold. The overwhelming note to me is chocolate and it only works for me on bitterly cold days or nights. You can get by with samples if 32 degree weather is only a small part of your year.

06 December, 2013

Vile

Vile, plutonium-strength confection.

Pros: Lasts forever
    Cons: Sickly"

26 October, 2013

Public Restroom

Seriously? This smells like a public bathroom. Don't wear this.

Pros: Great Bottle
    Cons: Everything"

22 October, 2013

commodity12's avatar
    commodity12

EWWWW

I thought it was just me but I can't stand the smell of this cologne. It projects TOO much and it smells really cheap. I don't understand all the hype.

Pros: cheap
    Cons: projection is unreal"

09 September, 2013

mercutio's avatar
    mercutio

Make the whole planet smell you.

This stuff projects to the point where you almost need to crack a window. Longevity is unmatched by any fragrance I've ever come across. You will smell like it. Your clothes will smell like it. Your house will smell like it. Hell, even your washing machine and shower will smell like it.

Opening note is almost horrendous with the tar. It smells like someone poured asphalt nutella and coffee in a used ashtray. But it seems necessary to get the final sweet symphony that makes me feel, for lack of a better word, yummy. I find that my wife snuggles a little closer to me after a long day of wearing this beast.

All I can really say is; tame that beast, face your fear, go buy a bottle, spray it on, wait 4 or 5 hours, then leave your house. Lol, I'm kidding. But this is a great example of a scent that you should definitely try before you buy and give it a chance to open up before you throw it in the trash.

Pros: Longevity. Dry down.
    Cons: To a point, projection. Opening notes. "

07 September, 2013

BLACKELVIS's avatar
    BLACKELVIS

Mmm... Bold Flavor.

I had been wanting to try A*Men for years, but it just never happened until this past week. I received a few samples of it from a friend of mine, and I've honestly been on the fence about it since the first day. At times I feel that it's a scent that I am biologically incompatible with. Yet, at other times, I have a sudden desire to smell it... again, and again, and again. It's quite strange the way it toys with my emotions, as I can't recall ever feeling this way before with any other fragrance. Predominant notes of bold, woody (Cedar to be exact) musk and incense, and eventual base notes of chocolate, mint, caramel, and a hint of tobacco. Having been raised Catholic and regularly attending mass for many years, I can put an undeniably close distinction of similarity between A*Men and the ritual incense used in the Catholic Church. It's actually uncanny how similar the two scents are. And, now that I think about it, upon my first inhalation of this fragrance, I knew there was an incredibly familiar underlying note that I just couldn't diagnose immediately. Then, as it became more subtle, the incense really started to shine through. There are many competitive bold notes in A*Men, most of which try to make a big scene in the beginning, but once they relax, it's really smooth sailing until the end.

Pros: Lasts a good length of time. Excellent sillage.
    Cons: Overly-brute strength if not careful."

18 July, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar
    OCNBreeze7

I Should be Riding my Harley...!!

Thierry Mugler is fast becoming my favorite cologne designer... I now own seven (7) or more of his fragrances and love them all. All are similar to the next, but each offers a different spin that becomes a unique fragrance. Well done Thierry Mugler...

A*Men comes out of the bottle hot (Hot meaning strong and can be overwhelming) with notes of tar, leather, pepper, and chocolate and then settles to a sweeter musk scent that is fantastic. I am a huge fan. The fragrance is ripe for a high "Wow Factor" as I routinely get compliments on the fragrance. It is truly unique. There are plenty of nay-sayers out there and I will admit - coming out of the bottle, most Mugler's fragrance are not so appealing - it is the dry down that becomes pleasant. And the beauty - the Mugler fragrances, including A*Men, last all day. There is no problem lasting eight (8) hours on the skin and until the next day on clothing.

I would feel comfortable wearing A*Men any season and for any event, but I suppose the experts say that fall or winter are most appropriate time with evening wear as ideal. Me - anytime and anywhere..!! The bottle and packaging are first class and Mugler offers that "above and beyond" customer service with registering your fragrance. The bottle designs are unique and "the jury is still out" on whether I like them. I can't see the "rubber bottles" and would expect something more fitting - I have the small bottle of A*Men that is clear - I love clear bottles that allow seeing the clarity of the fragrance.

The price/value is a slight deduction - but I am willing to pay more for longer lasting fragrances. As I routinely say, I have lots of problems - but money isn't one of them..!!

My final evaluation of A*Men is 4.5 stars out of 5 stars. Only the (rubber) bottle design and price/value away from perfection. The fragrance is awesome and I definitely recommend buying - just brace yourself for that initial blast and wait (keep telling yourself to wait) for a few minutes for the dry down. You will be glad you did. The beauty in communication - make sure you listen constructively...!!

14 May, 2013

del's avatar
    del

A*Men/Angel Men reminds me of the delicious aroma of a hot chocolate rice porridge (champorado) on a cold morning. Distinctive, especially the opening "tar" note, which gives it a unique incense vibe. Caramel-y, sweet, chocolate-y -- the drydown is rich and creamy. Longevity is excellent, and the projection is wide, despite the reformulation rumors.

Strong, maybe too strong to some people -- one or two sprays go a long way. I agree with majority's sentiment that A*Men is a love-hate fragrance; and I fall under the love camp. This great gourmand is a must-experience.

09 April, 2013

Diogenes65's avatar
    Diogenes65

This is strange, but alluring. The tar and Chocolate work well together. I disliked it the first time I sniffed it, but it grew on me. I don't think I'd wear it in the hot humid summer though

02 March, 2013

(****)

As legions of perfumes have affirmed, it's difficult to improve on Angel's deliriously trashy and husky structure. Released two years after its mother, A*men tones down Angel's monstrous cassis backbone, keeps the tarry dissonance, and throws in a camphoraceous lavender to ensure men that they are indeed on the right side of the perfume aisle. Overall, very good, though not nearly so wonderful as its archetype.

22 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2013)

's avatar

Well this is a very well known gourmand scent.. caramel and vanilla mostly, extremely sweet. Smells great indeed, but sometimes gets cloying. Lasting power, sillage and projection are great/huge. This is a must have for any collector. Thumbs up!

06 January, 2013

Mr. TL's avatar
    Mr. TL

If you base your impression purely on reviews of this fragrance, I feel sorry for you. Some will lead you to believe this is the most repulsive, tar-like fragrance ever...what I get is an awesome incense-like vibe that is mellow and pleasing. I was expecting hot road tar, and what I got was just awesome. Shame on the negative reviewers for being so awfully biased and misleading.

26 December, 2012

SwagScent.com's avatar
    SwagScent.com

There are better gourmands, but atleast this one attempts to take a creative risk. The tar note is the main drawback, but if it was there then it would be a boring chocolate fragrance. Overall, good juice.

24 December, 2012

Mandrake's avatar
    Mandrake
    Venezuela Venezuela

That stinky output of which many complain, to me is the glory. Full of character and personality. Drying is masterful, is when the fragrance begins to like more to those around you. For me, A * Men is the culmination of designer gourmand (I know I'm not saying anything new) XD

22 December, 2012

Andyman's avatar
    Andyman

This is one of the two most powerful colognes I have ever smelled, the other being Amouage Gold. No wonder men clear elevators with this. I don’t mind it; however, I prefer B*Men. A*Men continues to remind me of are a particular brand of glue we used in Primary School, and a young lady at work today said it smelt like her grandmother’s wardrobe, neither of which comparisons need be detrimental to this totally unique smell. Did I say unique? In connection with a Mugler fragrance? Nah… Can’t be!!

19 December, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar
    comfortablynumbbg
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

It's pretty good. Not the best gourmand, but I respect it and is good at what it does. Definitely not as loud as many lead you to believe. Longevity is good.

08 December, 2012

Maserati__Murf's avatar
    Maserati__Murf

My mom got me this A*Men my senior year in high school and I could not understand it. Now though i really apperciate this beautiful fragrence lasts a long time, it's unique, and projects like a BEAST...!!! It's a must have if your a collector.

07 December, 2012

bugsy's avatar
    bugsy

This is my over-sprayer, one of the rare winter fragrances that I will use in the summer. This one has great longevity but don’t believe the hype about it staying on your skin for more than 20+ hours. I get about 8 hours on my skin.

Some people talk about the tar-like opening and they dislike this fragrance because of it. I don’t get this tar note, my nose picks up a rich dark chocolate with soapy qualities. Fortunately the opening lasts about 15min before it dies down to a warm seductive chocolate musk. This one smells edible.

Surprisingly I’ve gotten more compliments from men than women on this one. The reviews say otherwise.

After about 2+ years of owning this fragrance, I am beginning to love it. I will keep buying it for a long time.

Btw, the sprayer on the rubber flask SUCKS, it squirts out a line of fragrance instead of dispersing the juice. Buy the metal flask if you can.

07 December, 2012

LovesGotMeHigh's avatar
    LovesGotMeHigh

All I have to say is that I hate my bottle...simply because it's not a 3.4oz! I wish I had a bigger bottle! Only have 1.7oz. But, it's my favorite Cologne. Took some time to grow on me (1 minute approximately; spent it trying to figure out how to spray it good). I love wearing this stuff. There's something about it that just makes me feel sexy lol. Great for dates though.

When I first received it, I was ABSOLUTELY SCARED to wear it because of the reviews talking about how powerful it is. But if you just suck it up, waste about 2 sprays, find a nice, warm, dry, clean spot, and spray it, you'll be amazed ! Yeah yeah yeah, many people might not like the tar note or burnt rubber note, but I just so happen to adorn those notes! It brings the man out of this sweet fragrance!

LEGALITY: most i ever got was 15 and a half hours. Least was seven.
    PROJECTION: can't really tell you for sure but you can ask the people who smell me from across the room in the winter

05 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

Márcio's avatar
    Márcio
    Brazil Brazil

In the first minutes, it´s a BOMB with a strange smell... but, after 15~20 minutes became a singular fragrance, with a unique smell and a monster projection. Great fragrance, I'll always have one on my collection : D

20th November, 2012

weezyweedz's avatar
    weezyweedz

dry down is great same with the rest except from the tar note

16 November, 2012

's avatar

It's a drug for me... Totally love it! There is nothing like this.

12 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 December, 2012)

hassanaslam's avatar
    hassanaslam

i was intrigued about this since i first smelled it and began to love it. im only 17 and wear it daily in the uk where no-one else it and its unique and projects for 8 hours very strong and then lasts 24hours longevity wise! i wear this in the winter/autumn days and spring nights and have gotten compliments from men and women alike, i wear it to school with 2 sprays-one chest and one adams apple and it worked pefectly! peppermint,coffee,tar,vanilla,chocolate and CARAMEL, OH GOD THE CARAMEL, women loveeee this, overall 9.5/10 as the tar can be off-putting but the best for winter hands down. This basically smells like a caramel/choclate latte with a bit of mint and you can imagine snow outside of the cafe and a*men just warms up the place

BUY IT NOW!

05 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2012)

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Yummy chocolate and caramel is what I get, and little coffee only - that is maybe why a coffee flanker needed to be launched. It is quite unidimensional on me, but nice with good silage and very good projection - but not a silage monster like Pure Havane and with less projection than Pure Malt. The longevity is much less than PH or even PM: A*Men lasts about two hours only on my skin. A yummy winter gourmand though.

02 October, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

Opens with Chocolate and Tar. Some Peppermint. Dries down to chocolate, coffee, caramel and tar. Sounds weird, but it harmonizes. I vacillate between loving it and hating it. I can't think of any other fragrance that I couldn't make up my mind on. Great Longevity, decent projection. Not a summer fragrance unless used outside. I bought a bottle, but this is one that I really have to be in the mood to wear.

12 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 May, 2013)

Jgb's avatar
    Jgb

I haven't had this for long but i have had an interest in men's fragrances forever and a fairly sophisticated nose by my own survey of things I've loved, and I love this. So does my daughter for what it's worth. The notes are notes. The overall character to me is an iced allspice cake smelled while eating passion fruit. The dry-down leads to a mellow sweet allspice with much less of the passion fruit... I'm straight and I'm mad about the smell of this mingled into my arm hair, and I'd were a chick, I would attack me right now. It must be a chemistry thing. I swim every day and shower ~3x a day, so I had the idea my skin isn't holding much of my own oils... Anyway.... It's the most amazing damn scent I've ever come across - I just put on about 3, maybe 4 sprays, to sit around and watch Motorcycle Diaries... This was a pretty good call

11th September, 2012

Amos Jolthead's avatar
    Amos Jolthead

I have nothing significant to add that hasn't already been said. I did forget how incredible A* Men is, though - hadn't tried it in years. It is one of a kind.

05 September, 2012