Reviews

Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I used A*men daily for about 3 months before it began to stink, on my skin at least. It changed from a smokier, less-powdery version of the womens fragrance to a dreadful Axe body spray mixed with Lemon pledge scent. It was dreadful. So I "gifted" it to my dad. He loved it, and my mother did too. It smelled great on him, as most "dark" fragrances do. So I may repurchase it in the future, but only as a gift for my father.
17th May, 2015
Salutation.

A*Men is A Great Show by THIERRY MUGLER.it is not so easy Forgettable.Definitely one of the best Frgrances in my father collection. Everytime He wore it The scent stay in our place for a long time!

Sweet,Warm and Attractive.In my opinion it is Much better than Female version.So strong opening but Gradually i found a LOVELY scent on my skin Like a Creamy Vanilla or Coffe mate!In fact it had blended so Well on my skin.

Certainly it is Sharp and Offensive if wearning Everyday and in the Hot weather even more 2 spray but when you Wearning it in Right Mood you will To see REAL NATURE it.

Where is the right mood?Generraly special Moods like a ROMANTIC evening in WINTER because in my opinion A*Men is Supplement HOT moments meantime in the Prties Most people can besotted with Your EDT.For some people It is really Heavy then you must to test it before buy!

Sillage?Excellent.

Lonegvity?Is really Weird on my skin.

7.75/10
18th April, 2015
Okay, in my whole life.... I've never smelled anything this awful. The only thing that tops this in terms of how vile it is, is Pure Malt. Honestly, Secretions Magnifiques smells better than this! A*Men and Pure Malt, both smell the same. They smell like a cat urine. Very ammonia scented. On top of that, its smokey and sweet. Just disgusting. If I was next to any man wearing this, i'd probably run the other way. Just my opinion though. Apparently, tons of people like this... I just.... I can't .... I just can't.
07th April, 2015

There was a chocolate confectionaires store in the area I grew up in 40yrs ago that my parents used to take me to when I was kid. I remember the scent of melted chocolate, candied fruit and peppermint being intoxicating. Why anyone would want to smell that way though, I just can't get my head around. AMen is the exact copy of that confection store scent. I live in Florida and can only imagine how this fragrance would turn on a hot and humid day.
27th March, 2015
Sweet and strong, this original entry is the epicenter of the A*Men legacy. The main note list of peppermint, patchouli, coffee, cedar, leather on the Mugler website is accurate. All are there, with the coffee and patchouli being most prominent, at least to me. There's not a ton of evolution to the scent, and I think its consistency is one if its greatest advantages, as the patchouli and coffee seem to slowly take over, the coffee giving a chocolate-like display, though it does not truly smell like milk or dark chocolate, or even rawer cacao.

Projection and longevity are great, as a few sprays project a few feet, and it lasts 12+ hours, with even more on clothes (also an advantage, in most cases).

For some perspective, I'd be remiss if I didn't add that after experiencing the flankers---specifically, Pure Malt and Pure Havane---the original just does not seem complete. The sweetness of the coffee isn't satisfying, as even the much-maligned Pure Coffee seems to beat out Angel Men in terms of the fragrance alone. The leather is an odd addition. There's credit to be had for the originator, but Pure Malt and Pure Havane (PH is sweeter than PM, by the way) simply blow Angel Man out of the water.

The main selling point of the original is that it's less sweet than Pure Malt or Pure Havane, if those two are too overwhelming simply because of the sweetnees. Of course, some will find Angel Man itself too sweet, and to those, I'd recommend staying away from PM, PH, PB, B*Men, Taste of Fragrance.

Very good fragrance, but not one I need to buy a bottle of since PM and PH exist.

7 out of 10
27th February, 2015
Definitely when applied to the skin properly this is a worthy scent to have in the collection.
23rd February, 2015
I really don't like this style of fragrance. This juice is far too sweet and cloying, and leaves me feeling like I've just had a huge second slice of raspberry cheesecake when I was already too full to have the first one. A fragrance that a high-school boy might get as a gift from a clueless relative. No grown man should be caught dead smelling like this.

Foul.
05th January, 2015 (last edited: 12th February, 2015)
I purchased a legitimate sample after watching DracDoc's review. I have Pure Malt and am a fan of it.

But this! I hadn't read any reviews other than watching DracDoc.

Opening notes: URINAL CAKES!!

Dries down to stale urine.

It's so bad that the similarity with Pure Malt has almost put me off Pure Malt. Almost. Not Quite.

YUK! Who wants to smell like this!?
28th October, 2014
Angel Men or A*Men is interesting and powerful juice, but as much as sampling it was interesting, I had to decide that it would be a bad habit to start wearing it. I could get used to the smell and enjoy it, but I didn't want to do that to the people around me, and when I later smelled this on someone else I was really glad I didn't buy a bottle. The stuff was so strong and distinctive that it has put me off the Thierry Mugler house, and I don't think I'll ever buy one of their fragrances.

The upside is that this is powerful stuff that presents different notes at different times and gets better and better as it dries, smelling almost like the world's best brownies at times.
08th October, 2014
As the four hundred sixty-ninth entry in the A*Men discussion I have little, if anything, to add but this - I initially, and for years after, found it to be quite revolting. I got around to trying its delicious and more focused predecessor, Animale Animale, and figured I should return to Mugler's offering later on when I understood things a little better. I still find it crassly chaotic in the opening but now I harbor a small appreciation for it for creating an opening that can keep people guessing and interested. The notes involved don't seem to blend together in the first stage, instead radiating alone in parallel lines from the body, unlike similar scents like the later Rochas Man, which is obviously cut from the same cloth but more of an intentional melange.
I'm still not in love with A*Men but I respect any frag that can use coffee and mint together without making a total mess.
04th August, 2014
This was recommended to me by a friend of mine who said it was irresistible. That's certainly one word for it. It's quite powerful, so I suppose resistance is indeed futile.

I'm...I was going to give it a thumbs down. But I waited. And I'd say almost 2 hours in is where this stops being an angry cocoa butter hand lotion and becomes something different entirely.

It's not necessarily warm. It's almost chaotic. This is certainly unique; it's as if sweet and spicy are having a land war on your skin (or my skin at least.)

I think I love it. Or hate it?

A*Men is a wonderfully unique chaos. That's my two.
10th July, 2014
Just had to get this after all the encouraging reviews and even though this was a blind buy, I must say this is elegance at its best and a powerhouse. Like most reviewer have mentioned its either you love it or hate it... and its that exact love/hate vibe that I love about it, I love to wear strange smelling cologne that people with no "nose" will hate but someone with the knowledge, exposure and the "nose" will appreciate. Its one of those you want to wear while wearing a nice smart shirt with jeans or probably when you're in a suit and want alot of attention. I highly recommend this to a more mature 30+ age range because anyone below won't really pull it off. Like I mentioned earlier this juice is a powerhouse and you'd wanna take it easy on the trigger as this stuff goes 12+ easily with minimal strays.

Conclusion: Sweet caramel tonka beast you want to always have in your collection when you feel like seeking attention while kinda dressy.

UPDATE: This beast is a masterpiece, I keep getting different whiffs of complex gourmand out of the world goodness almost like a candy floss shop and believe me that's just from 2-3 minimal sprays. This juice is one in a million, I haven't gotten any comments from anyone yet after three days of wearing it, not that its not good but because the kind of people I work with are not into colognes and wouldn't really say anything as all they know is "he smells good all the time" lol!!!! But believe me when I say this juice is a must-have, actually I think you'd wanna keep it for those special days you wanna dress up and smell good. I've always kept my Terre d'hermes as my big gun in my arsenal but now I feel I have two big gun.
17th June, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Accepted wisdom has it that the men’s fragrance style of the 1980s was heavy, crass, and bombastic, and that the bland, apologetic aquatics and “fresh” fougères that have held sway since the early 1990s are the natural reaction to the excesses of Kouros, Antaeus, and Macassar. Such reasoning ignores an important counter-trend in men’s fragrances of the 90s: the gourmand woody orientals, of which A*Men was among the first and most extreme. Along with its near-contemporary Le Mâle, A*Men launched a raft of sweet, foody fragrances for men that would come to include Pi, Rochas Man, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, Body Kouros, and their ilk. With their overwhelming potency, unrelieved sweetness, and raspy synthetic wood base notes, these scents leave the much-reviled mossy, leathery 1980s powerhouses smelling positively subtle and sophisticated. Fragrances like Havana, Kouros, or Jules might be bold and aggressive, but they were also clever in their complexity and dangerously suggestive in their animalism.

Not so the gourmands. They are for the most part about smelling "yummy," and doing so from very far away. No brains required, just a good set of lungs and plenty of chocolate, coffee, licorice, or vanilla. The only challenging thing about them is how strong they smell. With mint and patchouli to play against its gigantic chocolate pudding accord, A*Men is a bit less dumb than the worst of its breed, but its insufferable volume amply makes up for those odd touches of sophistication. I’ve been smelling this stuff on my fellow man for more than a decade, and it never fails to nauseate me.
08th June, 2014 (last edited: 12th June, 2014)

My girlfriend at the time, her step dad gave me a bag of samples for Christmas. One of the fragrances was A*men at the time I had no idea how much of a beast this fragrance was. Now that I have another samples I think its time to grab a bottle.
28th May, 2014
I decided to give this a shot as it is regularly offered up as a "masculine patchouli" option. It's been 4 hours since the single shot to the chest application, I'm still waiting for the patchouli, not that I will be able to notice it past the intoxicating, overbearing, headache inducing wretched stink of having bathed in cocoa butter. This smells EXACTLY like "Palmer's Cocoa Butter" would smell, if you applied it directly to the inside of your nostrils. I actually have some, and did a side by side comparison of the two, and the major difference is that Palmer's Cocoa Butter doesn't induce a headache.

I haven't found anything strong enough to strip this off my hands! I can't wash it off! My vehicle still reeks of it! It infects EVERYTHING!

A+ for being able to enter all the rooms you didn't even attempt to physically enter in person! If that's what you are going for, of course.

Did I mention that it causes headaches and reeks of cocoa butter?
22nd May, 2014
Thierry Mugler - A-men
If you like a scent that hits your nose with a chemical warfare-attack of polished rusty metal, wet plasters, butterscotch-chocolate pudding, red pepper/paprika and hot metal-shavings with slightly melted plastic edges, finished with a sweet scent of glue, and the sour medicinal-note of rabbit-food and yeast-pills, then this will make you a man... Amen.
26th April, 2014
This is a truly amazing fragrance. Complete opposite of a linear fragrance. I personally love this one from start to finish. Definitely a fall or winter scent that will get you noticed. Some will love it and some will the it but hey there's no pleasing everyone. As soon as my sample is gone I will be purchasing a 100ml bottle if this. This scent makes me want to try all of Thierry mugler's line of fragrances.
24th February, 2014
I created an account just for the purpose of writing a review on this fragrance. I purchased this cologne blindly (worst mistake I've ever made) and sprayed a very small amount on my skin to test it out. The nausea that ensued, coupled with headache from the fumes, is something that I will never forget. I only wish I was exaggerating or joking, it really was that bad.

Maybe it is just my sense of smell, or how it reacts with my skin, but I must say that this will go down as one of, if not the worst purchase I've ever made.

Please please please do yourself a favor and find this in a store and try it out before you even think of buying it. As it stands, I'm giving away my bottle (which is full but for one half-spray).

Pros: Admittedly, the dry down isn't that terrible, but it takes too long to reach, and isn't even close to pleasant enough to be worth the wait.

Cons: It made me nauseous. Extremely pungent in a very horrible way.
21st February, 2014

This stuff just ruined my day. I've been reading some of the reviews on this and thought I'd swoop by the mall at lunch and spray some on to see for myself. One tiny little squirt on my wrist; really, that's it. I'm back here at work and the whole office is pissed off at me. My presence is filling the building. I've tried to wash it off twice but it's still hitting me like a punch in the face. Everyone knows it's me. This is like a cruel practical joke. Forget the "notes" or whatever. People are starring and I have a meeting in an hour. This would be funny if I could get it off. But I can't. I'm a little bit embarrased.

Make sure you spray yourself at least 6 times before you go to work. You'll get noticed. Chicks will dig you. Your boss will love it.

(just kidding. don't ever do that.. really.)

Maybe onion will get it off.
11th February, 2014
Wearing A*Men is little like dressing like a rock star: you will stand out, you will get attention, not all of it good. I have put a *single shot* on after my morning shower and still been able to smell it 23 hours later upon waking up.

The scent itself is lovely, I will let others with more refined noses discuss the notes. If you like the scent it is an easy buy, but you damn well better like it because you will be smelling it all day. I wish the bottle had a 'half shot' selector switch.

While I do like it, this one is relegated to my "one in a while" pile with my skinny jeans and band t-shirts.
06th February, 2014
The best part of this fragrance is the bottle...

...seriously, forget about the content of this designer bottle, guaranteed to stand out in your bathroom - but why would someone buy a fragrance only for the refillable bottle in chrome or gold version?

What about the fragrance?

In my humble opinion its definitively not for men !
It's a cloying, sticky and extremely sweet scent, very loud and strong, guaranteed to radiate for more than 10 meters around you. Could be defined as the extract of a couple of boxes of different kind of chocolates, M$M's, some sweets from your kids last birthday party mixed with a couple of drops of honey and caramel.
If you wish to walk around as something edible and yuckyly sweet, go ahead.
To be honest, I bought this stuff (blind) on ebay and gave it upon arrival to my mother in law as a gift - to whom else should I have given this powdery and cloying subtance without feeling guilty? However I asked her to keep the bottle for me, once she finishes its content... hope it won't take forever.

15th January, 2014
Seriously, this is meant to be a fragrance for men or an air freshener?
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would wear such a strong and loud scent. Maybe if I were dancing around all night in a club, this could be my fragrance, but in the real world no thanks. This stuff is cloying, powdery, unimaginative and the packaging is virtually satanic. Eau Hell no!!
09th January, 2014
This frag is perfect for days when it's freezing cold. The overwhelming note to me is chocolate and it only works for me on bitterly cold days or nights. You can get by with samples if 32 degree weather is only a small part of your year.
06th December, 2013
Vile

Vile, plutonium-strength confection.

Pros: Lasts forever
Cons: Sickly"

26th October, 2013
Not love or hate, love AND hate

As the title says, this really is love and hate, not love or hate. Something about a sweet gourmand such as this that is both titillating and just resulting, depending on the moment. To me, I mostly get chocolate and patchouli, from start to finish. Best strategy for this one is the smallest spay to the lower chest or stomach, just so there is some distance and space from its intensity/projection. Sexy in molecules, horrific when normally applied.

22nd October, 2013
Public Restroom

Seriously? This smells like a public bathroom. Don't wear this.

Pros: Great Bottle
Cons: Everything"

22nd October, 2013
Very strong stuff....

I smelled a sample at the store on a tester strip and fell in love with stuff. Then I committed to spraying ONE squirt on my skin while I walked through the stores for a few hours. By the second hour, I left the mall to drive home and specifically to wash this stuff off of me. I drove home with the windows and sunroof open and this stuff was still smelling strong throughout the car. Got home, used rubbing alcohol all over my arm, and then took a soapy shower and the scent was still very much there.

Now, I did get a compliment in the elevator but it wasnt a "what are you wearing" comment but more of a "sniff, sniff... I smell something strong... Oh it's your cologne... Nice". This stuff smells like an air freshener. Now I will say, that the scent after I showered smelled pretty nice. I think the problem might be that the tester sprayed sooo much with one squirt. It was like a spraying a bottle of formula 409.

Pros: Incredible longevity and reach.
Cons: Overpowering and too sweet smelling"

20th October, 2013
EWWWW

I thought it was just me but I can't stand the smell of this cologne. It projects TOO much and it smells really cheap. I don't understand all the hype.

Pros: cheap
Cons: projection is unreal"

09th September, 2013
Make the whole planet smell you.

This stuff projects to the point where you almost need to crack a window. Longevity is unmatched by any fragrance I've ever come across. You will smell like it. Your clothes will smell like it. Your house will smell like it. Hell, even your washing machine and shower will smell like it.

Opening note is almost horrendous with the tar. It smells like someone poured asphalt nutella and coffee in a used ashtray. But it seems necessary to get the final sweet symphony that makes me feel, for lack of a better word, yummy. I find that my wife snuggles a little closer to me after a long day of wearing this beast.

All I can really say is; tame that beast, face your fear, go buy a bottle, spray it on, wait 4 or 5 hours, then leave your house. Lol, I'm kidding. But this is a great example of a scent that you should definitely try before you buy and give it a chance to open up before you throw it in the trash.

Pros: Longevity. Dry down.
Cons: To a point, projection. Opening notes. "

07th September, 2013
Loud and sweet

This was one of many samples I picked up at Nordstrom and it seems like one of those controversial, love/hate type of frags. It is very bold on opening and extremely sweet throughout, which was quite awhile actually with solid longevity. It also reminded me of something very lady like, and 50+ type of ladylike at that. There is a lot of hype that also goes for Pure Malt but if it is in any way similar to this one then it would be a let down.. Definitely not my cup of tea.

03rd August, 2013