Positive Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Possum-Pie's avatar

Opens with Chocolate and Tar. Some Peppermint. Dries down to chocolate, coffee, caramel and tar. Sounds weird, but it harmonizes. I vacillate between loving it and hating it. I can't think of any other fragrance that I couldn't make up my mind on. Great Longevity, decent projection. Not a summer fragrance unless used outside. I bought a bottle, but this is one that I really have to be in the mood to wear.

12 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 May, 2013)

Jgb's avatar

I haven't had this for long but i have had an interest in men's fragrances forever and a fairly sophisticated nose by my own survey of things I've loved, and I love this. So does my daughter for what it's worth. The notes are notes. The overall character to me is an iced allspice cake smelled while eating passion fruit. The dry-down leads to a mellow sweet allspice with much less of the passion fruit... I'm straight and I'm mad about the smell of this mingled into my arm hair, and I'd were a chick, I would attack me right now. It must be a chemistry thing. I swim every day and shower ~3x a day, so I had the idea my skin isn't holding much of my own oils... Anyway.... It's the most amazing damn scent I've ever come across - I just put on about 3, maybe 4 sprays, to sit around and watch Motorcycle Diaries... This was a pretty good call

11th September, 2012

Amos Jolthead's avatar

I have nothing significant to add that hasn't already been said. I did forget how incredible A* Men is, though - hadn't tried it in years. It is one of a kind.

05 September, 2012

KSG's avatar

Great for cold weather, smelled very strong but bearable at first but once it started to develop i got a really nice blend of caramel vanilla and chocolate. Great projection and longevity. Just be carefull on the sprayer with this one. Well worth a try, just don't blind buy it. The only problem with this is that I can see myself getting bored with it if overused

31st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2013)

sjg3839's avatar

This is one of those fragrances you will either love or hate. I happen to love this one. That strong tar note will distract many from liking this masterpiece. After about 30 minutes, you will see why so many people like this one. That vanilla, chocolate and caramel scent will grab you like a vice.

To see if you can deal with the strong tar note on the initial spray, you may want to sample this one first!

Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself.

30th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st November, 2012)

Midnight0616's avatar

This fragrance is an absolute god amongst men. It's something you really look forward to getting to wear because its such a unique scent and i grab it off my shelf and just smell the cap. Outstanding fragrance.

It starts off with this heavy minty chocolate, that likens itself perfectly to a freshly baked mint chocolate chip cookie. You may not have tried it but you sure know what mint chocolate smells like. Then it changes into a much more manageable cocoa butter and coffee and subtle mint.

There is nothing light about this fragrance, this is a heavy, projecting, longevity king. Say if i was wearing 6 sprays of Bvlgari Black, a fragrance many know, 3 on the neck, one on the chest and each wrist. If i sprayed one spray of this on my hand, it would be all i smell, for a lot longer than Bvlgari too.

I love it, some people dont like the beginning but like the drydown. I think it's all beautiful and a definite try, probably not something to blind buy because it is so unique, but definitely something you have to try because i find it so magnificent.

19 July, 2012

OregonAutumn's avatar

Hungary Hungary

I'm not really into the mainstream bottles and hate to jump on the hypewagon, but this one is a WAY different story.

We all know the drill here, this one is the quintessential "LOVE or HATE" gourmand scent. I've bought a small package and instantly fell in love.

It is loud. Very loud. Definitely garners compliments, women dig this guy. Longevity is great; and it projects forever. 10-12 hours - at least. No jokes, no hype, heard rumours about new bottles with poor longevity, but mine is that great. I've seen some reviewers calling its longevity/projection "God Mode". 3-4 sprays will do it, don't even think about more, if you overspray it, you are going to have a very bad time - it can be cloying in a small and/or crowded room.

Longevity: 100/10
    Projection: 100/10 (this is an edP in my eyes)

Overall smell: 10/10, great all the way, but it is popular.

Sample it.

16 July, 2012

Bigtruck260's avatar

The first time I encountered Angel (AMen) was at a discount fragrance shop at a mall. I asked the lady for something that smelled along the lines of Jordan Legend or Rochas Man. She grabbed the most amazing looking rubber flask from the rack, puffed 3 times on a piece of paper - and stuck it under my nose. I could have brained her for that. For years, I rued the day that that shop opened for business...and swore I was done with gourmand cologne other than the aforementioned Legend and Rochas Man. Fast forward to Christmas 2011... I was walking past a kiosk at a totally different mall - and this pungent odor caught me enough to saunter over and take a closer look. Amen. I was disgusted with myself. So disgusted that I bought a small bottle and hid it away for a cold night when the wife was on the road. That night happened last week. I loaded up with the stuff (6 sprays) on Friday night and stayed up watching Married With Children reruns until dawn (checking my wrists every hour). By 8am, the smell of disgust had worn off - and this amazingly unique and well-crafted scent turned the corner for me. I love the stuff from a distance, but it's not something I'd wear to work (unless I worked in a strip club) and most certainly would not wear to church. It's for smoky bars only - and even then I get strange looks from anyone I come in contact with. It suits my personality perfectly. Screw the status quo.

06 July, 2012

PAguy's avatar

A*Men is one of my all time favorites. But, what I most enjoy is reading the reviews on here, because, whether positive or negative, this fragrance evokes many strong reactions. It has great projection and longevity for me, and the scent is one of the most unique I have found. Spray too much, and you will chase some people away, but the right amount, and people will ask about it. Unlike so many reviewers, I love that first blast of sweet chocolate in the top notes. It's like a burst of cotton candy. It dries down a little less sweet, and sticks with me all day. It's one of the few scents i spray in the morning, and still smell at the end of the day. However, I do find after an eight hour day, the note that sometimes lingers is the tar, and I am anxious to shower it off when I get home. I've also noticed that the tar takes over when this scent spoils. If you find the tar overwhelming, you may have purchased old stock. I recommend replacing this one after 3 years (maybe less depending on environment), as I don't think it keeps well. Buy the smaller bottles.

01st July, 2012

Data1001's avatar

I've had several women tell me that this scent was a real turn-on for them. In fact, that was the reason I bought a bottle in the first place -- out of curiosity. I can see how the aroma would be too sweet for many people, but I really dig it.

However, as much as I love it, I do wear it infrequently. Partly because I don't want to wear it so much that I get sick of it. But mostly because it's just not right for most occasions. Perfect, though, for a 3rd or 4th date with a new paramour, or for a romantic night with your significant other.

Has quite a bit of longevity, and turns into something quite different (although still very pleasant) after mingling with your body chemistry for several hours.

30th May, 2012

lithiumsys's avatar

This is a panty dropper for lack of a better term. I don't get too many compliments while wearing it, but I do get a lot of looks and smiles when I walk by. The opening is horrendous as everyone else says, it funks up my entire apartment for about a half hour after 3 sprays, but once you get passed it you waft this incredibly sensual coffee and chocolate scent all day, all night, and part of the next day. I love waking up with this on, and so do all the ladies.

Kind of childish though, I feel as though this is one for a younger crowd.

10th April, 2012

frostyicy's avatar

What can I say about this scent??? Wow. I hated on this scent for the longest time. Spraying it on a test strip the opening is ridiculously harsh. For this reason I never sprayed on my skin because I hated it. The tar note is a middle note but it is apparent on the initial spray and it is just putrid. I decided to spray on my skin and spraying on your skin is still bad, not as bad as on a test strip but still not the best....BUT THEN...comes that dry down which I never was able to observe on a test strip and oh my that dry down.

The dry down of this scent is absolutely marvelous. The top notes only last about 10mins on my skin and to my nose the peppermint lasts throughout the entire length of this fragrance it hides in the background peeking it's head out every now and then.

I'm going to skip everything and jump into the dry down being that it is the part that lasts the longest. The base notes of Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Caramel, Chocolate, Musk. This dry down is legendary. You get the caramel, the chocolate, the tonka bean, the musk, and a faint whiff of the vanilla. The dry down is just delicious. Though it isn't listed as a note I get a whiff of some honey, tobacco and maybe just maybe nutmeg in this fragrance. Honey and tobacco are definitely prevalent to my nose though.

The scent does last, on my skin I'm not getting monster longevity the way this fragrance has been described as. I only use 2 sprays 1 to the chest and 1 to the neck so that could be the case. I would say I get maybe 8 hours on it.

Projection I'm not really sure about...I applied 2 sprays maybe an hour before getting on a party bus and no one seemed to notice anything. So as I stated it could be that the 2 sprays on my skin, which could be increased.

I will say that this scent is not one that can be worn by anybody. It takes a very confident person to pull this fragrance off good. I would not recommend anyone to spray this on a test strip. Just spray it on your skin, this way you can witness the dry down first hand (lol no pun intended).

This is popular in the fragrance community but not to much outside the fragrance community (maybe due to lack of knowledge on fragrances and that stinky first impression on a test strip). I have never smelled this on anyone. So if you want to be daring and step outside the box of the normal favorites I would highly recommend this fragrance.

All in all this is a great gourmand scent and it is legendary for a reason. This will always be a part of my wardrobe.

*Edit upon further wearing and more sprays than 2. This stuff is a longevity beast. Showered and still could smell it.

Sillage/Projection: 10/10
    Longevity 10/10
    Scent: 9/10
    Compliment factor: N/A haven't received any yet
    Purpose: 8/10
    Season: Will work preferably Fall and Winter. Can be worn in cooler parts of Spring. Warmer parts of Spring, and Summer should be avoided, if applied be careful with the trigger and apply appropriately.

19 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 December, 2012)

El Fantástico's avatar

Kiribati Kiribati

Your trip to a chocolate covered heaven...through a portal in the sewer.

That about sums it up nicely. The opening is fierce, dirty and dangerous. This is not something you would spray 5 minutes before a big date, to put it mildly. But when you get past the opening bite, you get something incredibly smooth, creamy, minty and chocolatey. This fragrance is very alluring and downright seductive in its dry down.

The projection is fairly strong and I would caution against over spraying this one. And as anyone will tell you, this thing is a longevity monster. I applied it after a shower on one morning, went about the day, took a second shower after working out, went to bed, got up, got shaved and took a third shower and could still faintly perceive A*men as a skin scent. Heavens. Quite a feat.

Angel Men is a masterpiece but that doesn't mean it is for everyone. In my experience, most people either aren't able or aren't willing to appreciate true genius when it's quite literally right under their nose.

09 March, 2012

frag fanatic's avatar

i hated the initial spray but have grown to appreciate it. Like many reviewers have said i get a chocolate mint cookie then a caramel cake in the dry down which is amazing

27 February, 2012

lotsomelow16's avatar

Hard to handle at first spray, top notes are over powering. But give it 5-10 mins, and you will fall in love with this! I myself have had many compliments.
    Beautiful dry down. I must admit, this is a love or hate fragrance, and you must be brave to wear it.
    Amazing caramel/chocolate dry down, to die for!
    Also a longevity monster!
    Projection is great!
    Best gourmand out there!

Overall - 9/10

22 February, 2012

Capone's avatar

great if you like gormorand fragrances

it is a sensual chocolate drydown with a lot of staying power and a HUGE sillage monster so its loved by some and hated by others, but nontheless it is a very original fragrance

the best thing i like about this one is that no matter how strange the beginning may be, it becomes much better as it begins to dry down and work on your skin and the scent is only better and better as time goes on. This drydown is in fact so heavily copied, with the best sensual patchouli chocolate caramel which contains great notes including touch of vanilla, coffee and tobacco and lots of good woods and florals to tie it all into the mix

I personally would recommend this if you are a chocolate person, but if u want more understated types of fragrances its really not for you

22 February, 2012

djwilson's avatar

First off 2 things I have to say about this cologne
    The flask rubber surrounding the bottle I hate it cuz you can barely spray the juice with it so I have to take it off and the Opening note with the tar might be the reason why I lot of people hate this cologne beside that the longevity and projection is a beast and that's what I am really looking into my EDT and the dry down is awesome , very sweet and the scent is just incredible if you are a cologne collector you need to have this one on your arsenal and learn to love
    at first you might hate it but give it time you will find how sophisticated this cologne is
    *********

14 February, 2012

lex's avatar

mixture of burnt rubber,coffee ,cocoa,and tobacco, is a seductive potion. very intoxicating,damn. this scent is more built for cooler weather and afternoons.

12 February, 2012

laventeljonnie's avatar

South Africa South Africa

I asked a friend travelling to Zurich to buy me a bottle of Mugler Cologne EDT - my first true love! But, as I expected, he came back with something else, he came back with A*men. No surprise though, but I did struggle to hide my dissappointment and guessed I won't be asking him again to buy me a fragrance and estimated even less the odds of him offering me to do so again.

Since I had a bottle I thought I'd give A*men a chance.

My first impression was that someone got the labelling wrong, this fragrance had to be unisex at best and not something you'd typically find hiding in the closet of your average man - if anything was to be found!

But seriously, this is one you either love or hate, it is very sweet and will last you well into tomorrow, even if you shower tonight. If you don't like caramel / vanilla / patchouli accords rather stay away, but if you wear your heart on your sleeve this is for you.

Also, the bottle design is classic - this gourmand frangrance gets a thumbs up from me!

09 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 February, 2012)

Dean44's avatar

On paper, this doesn't smell good at all. On my skin, it is one of my favorite fragrances ever. The drydown is amazing.Lasts 12+ hours on me.

26 January, 2012

mikesc's avatar

I went to Macy's one day and decided to spray this on after hearing the praises. I wasn't prepared for what this was. My hand smelled like it was encrusted in burnt chocolate and sugar. It was overwhelming and I wasn't much of a fan. I now own a 3.4 bottle of Angel Men. The drydown was amazing and the next day I found myself missing the scent. The longevity was also 2nd to none. Those that haven't experienced it just need to brace themselves and wait an hour before judging.

09 January, 2012

drumcondra1's avatar

To me it is ALL about divine Tar. Everything else, including the sharp green note and obvious chocolate/caramel is just a perfect entourage.
    Pure passion in a bottle. Viva Mr. Manfred.

29 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 February, 2012)

kushkov's avatar

This was the second gourmand scent that I smelled after Rochas Men. I find it amazing. While I also own the original Angel and consider it better, I find Angel too feminine too wear on most occasions.

The opening is quite strong and I find very interesting. At first fresh, bergamot, citrus but quickly fleeting into a coffee, chocolate and caramel. Can smell like burnt chocolate from up close (probably from the tar) but is very nice from a distance. Drydown is truly sublime. Caramel, chocolate and vanilla all blended together over a powdery base. A smell of sweet, baked goods.

I get over 15 hours of longevity, and good projection from the beginning to the end.

24 December, 2011

Carlosoraibi's avatar

First things first: this is a very dangerous scent! It is very sweet and somewhat offending if used in excess! If u do like this use only 1 or 2 sprays any more and u will offend!

Alright now my view:
    I LOVE THIS! This is a great sweet scent with a very good concept! This starts off with a minty chocolatey vibe with some tar! The tar seems to offend many people, but to me it's a very pleasant smell that adds a great masculine feel! After about an hour the tar goes away and the patchouli and chocolate really shines!
    After about 2 hours the scent becomes amazing and linear, it becomes a nice sweet chocolate caramel patchouli and vanilla smell! The drydown is blended soooo well if u smell the drydown as a whole rather than note for note for I get a chocolate covered gingerbread cookie drizzled in caramel drinking a vanilla late on a table decorated with vases of patchouli! a great scent and not a run of the mill sweet smell! Very unique edible smell! All in all a very refreshing concept meaning a new and unique concept! A great warming edible scent!!

21st December, 2011

oolafsson's avatar

Iceland Iceland

This fragrance is completely mad, cloying, potentially disastrous, monstrously projective, disturbingly edible, and a general masterpiece. Some of my friends love it, some of them abhor it. My mother can smell it from 30 feet away, and after she runs away, she can still smell it 60ft away. This thing is not a joke, but if it suits you, then it shouldn't matter.

If you blind buy this, well.... namaste.

21st December, 2011

BattleShipp's avatar

The first half hour or so isn't great, and if you over apply it can be sickening, but this stuff really smells amazing, definitely great for colder weather.

20th December, 2011

Oproust's avatar

A*Men has such a reputation as a love it or hate it fragrance that I assumed the worst and never bothered to try it. I came to A*Men via Pure Havane, which I bought on a whim. The SA threw a few samples of A*Men in the bag. I love Pure Havane and decided to give the leader of the pack, A*Men, a try. Wow! The opening blast of citrus, helional, lavender and peppermint told me straight away that this ain't no Pure Havane. Just as I was about to say, "What the hell have I sprayed on my defenseless wrist?", the coffee and tar mid notes began to emerge, making for a strange but intriguing citrus/lavender/coffee accord. As the basenotes emerged from somewhere deep within that goofy star on the front of the bottle, I was taken by the rich chocolate and coffee accord, infused with silky caramel; the exact opposite of the vibe I get from Derby, Aramis, etc. Sometimes, a man just needs a little coffee and chocolate in his life. Sometimes not. As I write this review, a light spritz of A*Men bubbles on my skin, while my neighbor shuts his windows and my spooked, anosmic cat runs out the front door. Like I said, it's a love it or leave it fragrance.

02 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2011)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

It's quite funny that I wrote reviews about the flankers and I didn't do it for the original!
    But I doesn't matter! here it is.
    This fragrance is one of those juices that have so many lovers and so many haters!
    I'm one of the big fans of this juice because it's quiet different from those generic juices out there.
    The opening is very sharp and strong patchouli note surrounded with very sweet and warm caramel note and some chocolaty smell in the background.
    I didn't get coffee that much! it's more caramel.
    The opening is in your face and you may hate it at first whiff! so don't judge about the scent just by the opening.
    In the mid the smell settled down, but did not change that much. so you have still that strong sweet caramel smell mixed with patchouli but a little weaker.
    In the base the sweet caramel scent is weak in the background and you can easily smell patchouli that have a wet feeling.
    Projection and longevity is insane!
    Please don't use it in high heat and don't spray more than three!
    This advise is for those guys that have the original and old formula!
    The new ones are watered down and doesn't have great projection and longevity like the old ones!

29 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st June, 2014)

jamwires's avatar

You just need to know how to wear it.

If worn properly, A*Men is absolutely incredible. A complete game-changer and modern classic. Obviously, this is a love/hate fragrance around here, so this one clearly isn't for everyone.

I also own Pure Malt, Pure Coffee, Pure Havane and the Taste of Fragrance A*Men. The original is still the best. There's just a certain semi-strange, yet very appealing blend of notes that makes me feel great throughout the day. The key is applying it properly.

Many times, I read you couldn't wear A*Men to work, or during the day etc - but that's absolutely not true. It's a powerhouse in the projection/longevity department, sure - but if you wear one spray on the chest, it doesn't get cloying or overpowering. I do the same with Tobacco Vanille with great results.

It's not very often a fragrance like this comes along. The polarizing opinions on A*Men only validate how unique a creation this truly is.

14 November, 2011

qudths's avatar

I think this scent more than any other really proved to me that scents have to be worn to be evaluated.

I naturally detest sweets. I do not like dessert, and I take my coffee black. I used to live next to a chocolate/fudge factory, and while everyone around me used to love the smell of chocolate in the air, it physically made me sick until the day I moved away.

That said, I tried a decanter of A*Men and I realized that I love this scent on me. It does start strong, but leaves a very long mid-note of dark chocolate, caramel, and a hint of coffee that doesn't become cloying or too feminine.

Even odder, the tar and peppermint that Bulgari Black has in common with completely works with me with A*Men, while Bulgari Black turned into something that made me gag and had to wash off immediately.

10th October, 2011