Positive Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

It's quite funny that I wrote reviews about the flankers and I didn't do it for the original!
    But I doesn't matter! here it is.
    This fragrance is one of those juices that have so many lovers and so many haters!
    I'm one of the big fans of this juice because it's quiet different from those generic juices out there.
    The opening is very sharp and strong patchouli note surrounded with very sweet and warm caramel note and some chocolaty smell in the background.
    I didn't get coffee that much! it's more caramel.
    The opening is in your face and you may hate it at first whiff! so don't judge about the scent just by the opening.
    In the mid the smell settled down, but did not change that much. so you have still that strong sweet caramel smell mixed with patchouli but a little weaker.
    In the base the sweet caramel scent is weak in the background and you can easily smell patchouli that have a wet feeling.
    Projection and longevity is insane!
    Please don't use it in high heat and don't spray more than three!
    This advise is for those guys that have the original and old formula!
    The new ones are watered down and doesn't have great projection and longevity like the old ones!

29th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st June, 2014)

jamwires's avatar

You just need to know how to wear it.

If worn properly, A*Men is absolutely incredible. A complete game-changer and modern classic. Obviously, this is a love/hate fragrance around here, so this one clearly isn't for everyone.

I also own Pure Malt, Pure Coffee, Pure Havane and the Taste of Fragrance A*Men. The original is still the best. There's just a certain semi-strange, yet very appealing blend of notes that makes me feel great throughout the day. The key is applying it properly.

Many times, I read you couldn't wear A*Men to work, or during the day etc - but that's absolutely not true. It's a powerhouse in the projection/longevity department, sure - but if you wear one spray on the chest, it doesn't get cloying or overpowering. I do the same with Tobacco Vanille with great results.

It's not very often a fragrance like this comes along. The polarizing opinions on A*Men only validate how unique a creation this truly is.

14th November, 2011

qudths's avatar

I think this scent more than any other really proved to me that scents have to be worn to be evaluated.

I naturally detest sweets. I do not like dessert, and I take my coffee black. I used to live next to a chocolate/fudge factory, and while everyone around me used to love the smell of chocolate in the air, it physically made me sick until the day I moved away.

That said, I tried a decanter of A*Men and I realized that I love this scent on me. It does start strong, but leaves a very long mid-note of dark chocolate, caramel, and a hint of coffee that doesn't become cloying or too feminine.

Even odder, the tar and peppermint that Bulgari Black has in common with completely works with me with A*Men, while Bulgari Black turned into something that made me gag and had to wash off immediately.

10th October, 2011

The_Cologneist's avatar

What Acqua di Gio is to aquatics; A*Men is to gourmands. And, where there is love, there will always be hate. AdG is a masterpiece, as is A*Men. The talk, the hype, the hate, it's all worth it. A must try fragrance for every man.

Sweet? Very. Not as synthetic smelling as other gourmands in my opinion. It opens up with an insanely powerful lavender, peppermint, and chocolate combination. One spray will easily permeate throughout the room. As the top fades, which on my skin is 20 minutes max, before the tar comes in, along with some patchouli. Patchouli which combines very well with gourmand notes, does and excellent job here in highlighting the coffee bean note. However, I don't much get coffee bean from it, rather a rich, dark, deep, fudge note. While at the same time, it competes for the the spotlight with a somewhat off-putting birch tar note. The tar note is rather bitter and sour, but interesting nevertheless. Once it fades, it is all uphill from there. The fudge accord dominates, back with patchouli, and other sweets. Smells divine, projects well still. This phase lasts for quite a while, at least 4 hours. The base then goes through 2 phases. One.. tonka bean, caramel, and other sweet notes.. I still get the chocolate fudge. The final dry down (8 hours later) is mostly vanilla, with a slightly powdery feel, along with musk, and still some other sweet notes. Overall longevity can last 24 hours, but by the 8 hour point, it becomes a skin scent. A very nice skin scent at that.

What's most remarkable to me is the patchouli in the middle notes, and not lasting throughout the base. Surprise indeed, since patchouli is a very strong note, and is usually in the base of designer fragrances. With that said... A*Men may be designer by label, but IMO is niche all the way. It's different, it's daring, it lasts forever, and projects well. I should also note that in the first 4 hours or so, the tar note really doesn't project much. It is different from a distance than up close. Layered, if you will.

Beautifully done. While I may not like some of the fragrance, I appreciate it entirely. A work of art. Complex, and not for the "noob". Others may say such & such is a perfected A*Men, but IMO, there is nothing even remotely close to it. Give this one a try.

04th October, 2011

Bcndiamond's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

This is a very strange fragrance and I don't really know if I should rate it positive, neutral or negative. Some day I love it, some days I absolutely hate it.

Once again, I bought this blind because of all the hype it gets and I can't say I regret it.
    After wearing this many times, I still find myself drawn to this because I can't figure it out.
    I can't enjoy the opening, or even the first hour or so. Some people say it smells like tar, in my honest opinion the opening simply smells like urine.

But the dry down is pretty amazing and that's the only reason I would wear it.
    I wouldn't wear this to get compliments from people around you, wear it for your own enjoyment.
    Another thing I noticed, it smells very different on myself than when I smell it on someone else.

22nd September, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th September, 2011)

blood-orange's avatar

A*Men is the male equivalent of Angel, to put it bluntly. It has all that chocolatey goodness with a touch more richness to give it that masculine touch.

If Angel is milk chocolate, A*Men is dark, bitter chocolate. I dare say that I prefer A*Men over the very controversial and very popular Angel.

Despite the fact that this fragrance has been emulated many times, for example, Very Irresistible for Men by Givenchy, this is a truly unforgettable scent.

A*Men is somewhat linear. Throughout most of its wear it smells like a perfect blend of golden syrup, dark chocolate, coffee, musty patchouli, lavender and rich amber.

Only in the drydown does it change ever so slightly into a musky, chocolate powder type scent.

A*Men intrigued me with its darkness and rich chocolatey notes which you don't expect to smell on a man. All men seem to wear these days are those predictable fresh and citrusy scents. It was nice to smell A*Men for a change.

If you're looking for a stronger, more classic version of A*Men, I do recommend the classic Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels. It has that strong chocolate note without the sweetness.

Talking about strength, A*Men lasts for a very long time. The sillage is also phenomenal, very strong, so beware. I wouldn't be game enough to wear this in Summer, but for Winter, despite its popularity, it is a wonderfully unique and sensual choice. I urge the ladies not to dismiss wearing this fragrance either. Do not let the name fool you into thinking it is just for men.

04th September, 2011

brontosaurus_rex's avatar

I love this to pieces, but I definitely understand the polarizing nature of it. I sprayed it on my wrist at a Macy's last November, and INSTANTLY fell in love. I bought a bottle on the spot. I wore it pretty much every day, rotating in a few others here and there, but this was my signature scent throughout the winter.

As the months went by, I started getting sick of it, and wasn't upset when it got too warm to wear it (I find it brutal in the heat). I spent the last few months thinking I needed something new for this upcoming winter, but today I sprayed this on, and my mind has been changed. I'm in love with it again.

It's a fantastic smell, but it's easy to become sick of it if you use it too often.

31st August, 2011

killerloop's avatar

Keep this one for night time and cooler months. DO NOT BATHE IN IT! One spray and dabs in strategic places is all you need. Great for those "special" nights planned with a lady friend. ;)

25th August, 2011

Moff's avatar

**UPDATE**
    Wow, almost a year after writing the below negative review I decided to go back and revisit this scent and my opinion has completely changed. I've actually grown to enjoy the harsh opening and the dry down is simply amazing. I am going to have to buy this now for the winter, I cant get enough of that dry down, wow! I now see what all the hype is about.
    __________________________
    Original review, thumbs down:

After reading so much hype online of what appeared to be a very polarising scent I bought a small sample off eBay which arrived today. I must say I'm definitely not a fan. Just too sickly sweet and the tar note is really off putting. I couldnt ever see myself wearing this.

It sounds like I would enjoy Pure Malt more and I'm very keen to try it but can't find a sample anywhere online. Although if Pure Malt is as similar to the original as people say it is, I doubt I would like that either.

Very glad I did not blind buy this one!

11th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st July, 2012)

jimmysmellworld's avatar

Im giving this fragrance a thumbs up for the sheer audacity of it. fragrances like these are always going to divide opinion but if you're a collector its a definite must buy. There is not much that I can really say about this that has not been said in the countless review below but i've found that this fragrance can go two ways; over apply and your effectively walking around in a loud, bright pink Hawaiian shirt while one spray which has dried down will smell great, to me its that simple. Use with caution and you along with the others around you will enjoy. Im desperate to try out its flankers.

I wouldn't go near this fragrance in warmer weather.

I'd only wear this for evening wear bar/date/club.

longevity is similar to that of a tattoo.

06th August, 2011

icanh's avatar

I was massively shocked when I first smelled this. That menthol note was just so jarring. In less than an hour though, I was a convert. That creamy chocolate note was just so irresitible. The first day I wore this to work, this officemate of mine immediately came up to me and told me that I smelled just as good as her boyfriend.

This lasts for ages as well. Basically, an incredible fragrance.

22nd July, 2011

Gabbanaguy's avatar

I did not like this at first,so I tried Angel Men again. The top/mid can be kind of rough, but the dry down may be the finest I have ever experienced. If you can handle the top then you will be rewarded with a heavenly dry down. What more can be said, a master piece that projects and last for ever.

16th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 16th March, 2015)

crystal_disco's avatar

I love this. I always get compliements on wearing it and it reminds me of Christmas, which was when I got it.
    I love the creamy chocolate notes that linger for ages and the bittersweetness of the coffee accents.
    I like the bottle, and I have never had a problem with the pump and the rubber case. I do have a habit of tugging at the rubber pionts on the star outline though.....

I would thoroughly recommend this fragrance to anyone who likes anything that is not overtly strong in any obvious wasy, It isn't too woody, too citrusy, etc.

30th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2011)

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

To me it starts off with in oily strong smell and then drys down to chocolate-caremal God. What a master piece.

28th May, 2011

paolo_alcantara's avatar

Philippine Philippine

great great gourmand scent! this is classified as fall/winter scent, but could also be worn during those cool summer nights. great projection, and great longevity indeed! definitely one of my favorites!

20th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2014)

silentrich's avatar

Monster sillage and projection like others have described. 1 on the neck and 2 on the chest if your not going to be in close proximity to others. 1 on the neck and 1 on the chest is usually pretty safe. The opening is harsh which is what most people can't take. I actually enjoy the opening and the dry down is one of the best in the fragrance industry. It's like a dense chocolate with vanilla wafers which I find fantastic. I like the tar note in Mugler's creations as I like the rubber note in Bulgari Black. Mugler's is much lighter and to my nose doesn't hang around for very long. If your not a fan of gourmands or sweet fragrances forget it.

15th April, 2011

LOST!'s avatar

LOVE IT!!
    It keeps me happy whenever I wear this! Love the rubbery, tarry, burnt chocolate scent. It is sweet, and fun, and keeps you wanting more...

04th March, 2011

dracdoc's avatar

I personally love it. I will mention that its very imperative that you do NOT spray too much of it, one sprits to the neck and one to the wrist. Thats IT. Thats all you need. Anymore and you run the risk of pissing off everyone who you encounter. You have been warned.

Smells like Chocolate/Vanilla and Caramel all rolled into one to me. Also has a hint of peppermint when you first come across it.

22nd February, 2011

JackWest's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The tar note is a real killer!!

11th February, 2011

Bakhur's avatar

I get more vanilla, (caramel?) or chocolate than coffee. Extremely sweet and warm. A nice interpretation of oriental candies like turkish delights or dates from saudi arabia mixed with all the luxury and mysteries of the arabian gulf.

09th February, 2011

rootclan's avatar

Ghana Ghana

I found it quite difficult having a liking for A*men when i first got it as a blind buy. Until recently did I really come to discover what masterpiece this was. Astonishly enjoying the top notes i found harsh previously

. This fragrance is so sweet I had a fly stick very close to my wrist pulse it didnt wan't to come off after vigorously shaking my hand.

26th January, 2011

QWERTYOP's avatar

England England

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. Sweet chocolate caramel in a bottle. Distinctive, long lasting, anything but generic. I expected it to project a little more than it does, but that's ok. It means it's more suitable for more occaisions than I originally thought it would be. Only worn this "out" a couple of times so far, but already been told I smell "yummy" while wearing it. And that's no bad thing! My first Thierry Mugler scent - I'll certainly be searching out more based on this offering!

19th January, 2011

Guinea54's avatar

Angel is a love or hate fragrance. I happened to love it. It is a very sweet long-lasting gourmand that combines chocolate, coffee and patchouli with a strong tar note opening. in other words its not just chocolate and sweet, but it also has a dirty vibe to it which makes it more masculine. I personally enjoy this one. It lasts forever and projects like no other. This could be a benchmark for gourmands.
    My rating.
    Scent- A or F if you hate it lol.
    Longevity- A
    Projection- A
    Compliments- B+
    Uniqueness- B+
    Overall A-

08th January, 2011

jbr's avatar

A*Men is often considered to be the quintessential love-it-or-hate-it scent. More accurately, I would say it is a fragrance which many instantly hate and many others have a certain inclination towards, even if they do not fall in love at first sniff. Indeed, I wasn't completely taken the first time I tried A*Men, but it's the kind of scent that, if it doesn't completely repulse you, compels you to try it again. It's the kind of scent that gets into your head the more you wear it, and I can almost guarantee that anyone who sees any potential to enjoy it will eventually end up loving it.

For me, the minty-lavender and tar topnotes were the most troublesome the first time I tried A*Men. Certainly, it is a shocking accord at first blush. The sweetness was never an issue for me, as I have always enjoyed sweet fragrances. My concern was that the jarring topnotes seemed to throw off the balance of the scent. However, I've come to enjoy that opening accord over time and can now more clearly appreciate how it segues into the later acts. And of course, those later acts are amazing - the earthy patchouli and coffee grounding the sweetness of the honey, chocolate and caramel remains one of my favorite combinations in fragrance.

I admire A*Men's unapologetic nature, a trait it shares with the original Angel. I do not read the intent of A*Men as being brash or crude, it is simply an assertive fragrance that not every nose is going to love. Certainly it is not an everyday fragrance even for those who enjoy it, but when the craving hits, you'll be glad you have it in your wardrobe.

03rd January, 2011

apayne182's avatar

I dont think the top notes are that bad. they are a little harsh. There is lavender there and i detect some of the middle notes. after a couple of minutes it dies down a little and the lavender is still there but tar and patchouli have found their way in as well as the chocolate and tonka. over time, the chocolate becomes more pronounced and the tonka still stays. i still detect something else there, perhaps the lavender and tar. the top notes are a little harsh but not too bad to my nose and they're worth it for the dry down and development. very happy to get this for christmas. if you don't like chocolate in a fragrance, its not for you but then if you dont, you probably shouldnt review it in the first place. and we all know its a projection and longevity beast. great scent, colder months only

29th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 26th January, 2011)

DerekLorimer's avatar

Metal bottle is a beautiful object. The fragrance is very strong. A single spray is usually enough. It is an acquired taste but great when you are used to it. Recommended for special occasions or perhaps in winter.

28th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2011)

change1's avatar

Ok, so I decided to buy this cologne a few days ago. I decided to go with the smallest size (1 oz). I want to trial this cologne first before buying the big bottle. The initial spray on my skin was like whoooooooo! that was sweet! kind of like taking a bite out of a giant size dark chocolate candy bar. All I could think of is Willy Wonka! I just got the Golden Ticket! I didn't think I would like this cologne, but after about an hour it started to settled down. It's still a very sweet smell, but I can begin to smell the other notes in the background. Very nice and sweet. Overall I would say this is low thumbs up fragrance for the winter. The logevity and projection is great too.

27th December, 2010

Dkmode83's avatar

I absolutely hated this the first few times I tried it. The first 30 minutes to an hour are almost unbearable. So overpowering in the beginning it took me 5 months and about 12 tries to make it to the drydown. I am glad I finally did, the drydown of this is a masterpiece. Maybe its the tar that balances it out so well. Definitely a fragrance people will love or hate. Great night out scent. Please be very easy on the trigger with this one. Two sprays is an absolute MAX, but one spray to the chest or neck is better.

Overall Scent 7/10
    Longevity 10/10
    Projection 10/10

10th December, 2010

Loves_To_Spooge's avatar

This is a funny one,I did not know what to think when I first put it on.My girlfriend and my best friend hated it at first but my girlfriend came round and now loves it on me.My best friend still thinks it is horrid and says it just smells like chocolate candles but what does he know his favourite cologne is Le male.

Very long lasting,good sillage and makes you feel really good and warm in the winter.A word of warning though,try this on the skin and give it 30 mins or so to settle down before you buy it,this is not for every one.

15th November, 2010 (Last Edited: 08th February, 2011)

Zoso777's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Yes,like said,love it or hate it! I hated this all the times I tested due to the strong initial scent of candy. This time I gave it a try to settle down for about 15 minutes and I loved! Nice patchouli, incense,smoky. I'd love to smell more patchouli by the end but stll a gret scen in my opinion. Do yourself a favor, don't blind buy it and don't judge by it's top notes!

21st October, 2010