Positive Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jasperhiga's avatar

When I first tried it, I thought it was way too sweet, espicially because it was only my third cologne I've bought. I gave it a second try and I loved it. The chocolate and carmel is a great smell. Its reminds me of christmas when we all come back from skiing and going back to bake some smores or like making a gingerbread house. Its a great winter fragrance but I dont recommend this to people who live in humid places, like hawaii or india.

11th August, 2010

blackice's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Really nice fragrance. Fall in love with the scent.

07th August, 2010

JimHeckel's avatar

Nice, sweet, and really enjoyable. The scent reminds me of a candy / chocolate / coffee dessert covered with whipped cream. I wont wear this to a formal event, but its good for relaxing in a casual environment. Good scent for the price, and one I recommend to those who want to smell just plain great.

01st August, 2010

Radabah's avatar

The first whiff out of the bottle almost knocked me out with how sweet it smelled like candy. Once it hit my skin though, I loved the smell. Seems to be long lasting on me as well.

23rd July, 2010

subhuman85's avatar

I like to compare A*Men to blue cheese – not in terms of smell, of course, but in appeal. One does not come out of the womb loving A*Men. One works up to A*Men, braces him/herself for it, acquires a taste. It is not, like so many of its counterparts in the fragrance department, eager to please. In fact, upon first spray, it seems expressly designed NOT to please: A blast of peppermint, tar, industrial-strength lavender, nuclear bergamot, and over-extracted espresso grounds greets the nose, with all the subtlety and harmony of a jackhammer against a marble floor. It is an unholy brew, with little obvious appeal beyond sheer "WTF" audacity. At this point, most right-thinking people quickly put down the tester and scramble for some hand sanitizer, myself included. But soft! Give it time, and the mint fades, the lavender calms, and the coffee takes on a robust, silky quality. A vivid dark chocolate note creeps in, flanked by vanilla and caramel. Patchouli and cedar sing an alluring background harmony, and a hint of powder and musk play a smooth backing track. The drydown is a velvety combination of caramel, patchouli, toffee, and a hint of leather, with a clear family resemblance to its big sister. (Both Angel and A*Men could be worn by either gender, for the record.) My repulsion turns to shock at the 180-degree turn things have taken, then to pure lust as I sniff my wrist compulsively and crave coffee ice cream.

It took me a good two years of occasional testing to finally come around to A*Men's brash character and high-calorie charm, and now I'm head over heels for the stuff. What once struck me as high-pitched and overexposed now seems vibrant and hypnotic. It's true that the volume of the entire production is dialed awfully high – don't wear A*Men to the office – but I finally realized that A*Men's brand of rough-edged appeal is exactly what I look for in a perfume. This is no fragrance for wimps, nor for anyone who favors the soft-spoken or transparent. A*Men is solid, lush, and full-bodied; if most men's fragrances are string quartets playing Pachelbel, A*Men is an orchestra playing Wagner. In a confectionary.

17th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2012)

Bodom_HC's avatar

Honestly... everyone always rants on how bad the top notes are, but I find them very appealing, unique, and quite frankly I think it smells great! It's got a very STRONG woodsy feel to the top notes, and I detect a little hint of chocolate in it, but definitely, the tar overpowers the chocolate.

The drydown... oh the dry down. It's a very sweet dry down, of course, just taking a glance at the base note, one can obviously tell. Chocolate and Vanilla are most prominent in the dry down to me, which makes this fragrance so good.

I highly recommend getting this, but be warned... DO NOT GO TRIGGER HAPPY!

17th July, 2010

D.Sprad's avatar

The beginning is rough - I'm talking draw-blood rough. It's best to sit this one until it begins to dry down, as it's just not tolerable at the start.Then, the middle notes come out and shine - if you don't mind the tar, you'll find it an interesting accord to a cologne like this. The drydown is truly wonderful to me, it's just a sweet, smooth scent that lasts for years. I've seen two sprays go nearly a full day, now that's longevity! Provided you didn't overdo it, those two sprays can be your own personal slice of paradise, as well... I don't find it too enjoyable on paper, but on the skin, it's different. I don't know how many have been turned away from a disappointing paper-scent, but it's unfortunate. Many males I know and see don't like this fragrance - they find it too sweet, or too feminine, or too... whatever? I have yet, however, to find a lady that doesn't like this on a person. I must say, wonderful scent, great longevity, great projection. Thumbs-up, without a doubt!

10th June, 2010

Marshmellow's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

A*Men....What can I say, one of the most loved, and one of the most hated. I have to say I'm somewhere in the middle. Personally, I love the smell of it, it's daring, it's bold, as a fragrance by itself it is unique and interesting.

The problem starts when I had a little spray of A*Men on my skin and asked a friend to take a smell, she hated it, absolutely hated it. I attempted to convince her but she just refused to change her mind. I was in the car, my dad took a smell of the fragrance and just complained about the stench all the way home.

I am not going to go into the notes or the smell itself, it has been reviewed to death. I think you guys definitely can't do a blind-buy on this one, you HAVE to try it for yourself and decide if you like it. This is probably the MOST SUBJECTIVE fragrance in the mainstream market at the moment.

To me, I liked it. To others, it doesn't. Simple. If you think you can pull this fragrance off, go for it! If you don't give a hoot on others think of you when you're wearing A*Men, and you happen to like it, GO FOR IT! If you are dead concerned about the impression people will have on you when you wear A*Men, the risks are there.

To me personally, I like the fragrance. But I won't wear it out.

26th May, 2010

I HAD A LADY FRIEND TELL ME IT SMELLED LIKE SEX
    ENOUGH SAID

19th May, 2010

Neurosis's avatar

This is my favorite fragrance aside from Le Male, it'd be my signature if i didn't own other stuff that i want to use up. Ill never NOT own a bottle. Now on to the fragrance review itself!

If you asked me my opinion of this 4-5 months ago, i would've told you this is the absolute worst fragrance EVER. the first time i smelled it it was like someone blew up a room filled with fragrance oils - my inexperienced nose could NOT take it. Something about it never stopped interesting me, i think it was all the reviews talking about chocolate, caramel, mint, and vanilla (my favorite flavors and smells). So i braved up and tried it again a month or two later. I could smell it without getting a headache which was a plus and there was something addicting about it. I got a sample bottle and kept trying it. Try 1, patchouli patchouli, patchouli! there was no chocolate, caramel or anything like it. Try 2, i started to get the gourmand notes, and by the third try i knew i HAD to own this fragrance. I wont go in depth with the notes as that's been more than covered by everyone else, what i must say about the notes is that people WILL smell this differently. I've had someone say it smells like pine sap and incense, while at the exact same time someone else immediately recognized it as similar to Angel with the gourmand notes, to myself its a gourmand that transitions from a great latte', then straight patchouli, then a milky caramel, and finally a vanilla, chocolate, and some caramel. Everyone smells it SO differently and I think that's what makes this so unique

Overall its an incredible fragrance, a must try for anyone as it is mind-opening and nose-opening: nothing else smells like it, and for someone who is just getting into fragrances, it will make you realize there's more than just aquatic, light fragrances out there.

05th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 23rd June, 2010)

PaladinX's avatar

I can understand why people hate it. I can understand why people love it. Usually when you have something bold and extreme, that is exactly what you get. Strong opinions about a very strong scent. I like it because it is something different and unique. A lot of colognes are fresh smelling, citrus, all the main stream stuff smells the same. A lot of fragrances also consistently lack in projection and longevity. A little bit goes a long way with Amen.

To me A men smells like a very strong scent of chocolate, caramel and coffee. But its a dirty smelling scent. Its got a heavy tar note in it and it makes the fragrance dark, raspy and almost dirty. The dirtiness is not a bad thing to me, It makes it bold and gives it an edge. Its one of those you need to try for yourself. I didn't like it at first, I was like what the hell is this, but it grew on me. I think its great for the holidays, it smells kind of festive and deep. Just be easy on the trigger, this stuff can get cloying if you over spray. If you really think this is too strong, I would recommend getting animale animale. Its sort of the same, but more like a pure malt. Its much more toned down and more versatile.

14th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2010)

crazyoney2k's avatar

THIS COLOGNE IS THE ULTIMATE IN SEXY!!!!! if i am a guy going on a saturday night to meet women THIS IS WHAT I WEAR! for a spray nearly 15 years old it oozes sex appeal

11th April, 2010

TheBuyer's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I thank god not everyone like this one. As said to many times before, love or hate fragrance. I fell in love for the fist sniff. Chocolate, caramel, coffe, patchouli... It´s like to live in the best capuccino machine you ever saw. And it lasts and lasts. Funny thing I´m not a bif fun of chocolate (eating), but loved to smell like one (lol). It opened the gourmand´s door to my life.

As I said before: good thing not everyone enjoy it. Feel more especial.

22nd March, 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

I love this cologne and the ladies give me compliments on this a lot. It is very strong and sweet. Good for a date with your girlfriend, but also fun to wear in general. Lasts a long time.

17th March, 2010

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Love it or hate it indeed. I love it. Dark chocolate and coffee, thick, warm and masculine. This is a must have, at least for me. No mercy, I'm buying this cold weather scent definitely, despite spring knocking at the doors. Do I need to mention longevity and sillage? I think not.

Update 25.12.2010. : yesterday I recieved this one as a gift from a friend and what a surprise it was! I really did not expect this one. Only now do I see that A*men was missing in my collection and only now do I see how much I like this fragrance. It gives me a special feeling when I wear it. On my next date, whoever this girl will be, I'm wearing this one.

08th March, 2010 (Last Edited: 25th December, 2010)

holyzoo's avatar

A*Men Pure Coffee and A*Men Sunessence were my gateways into the original A*Men. I kept a sample of A*Men around for reference. Wore it with reservation. Then I went for it with gusto and Tada! I love it!! It's some super comfy sexy stuff, that's got more kick than Angel, more honey-like warmth than the Pure Coffee version, and is the mighty DNA of all the flankers. I'm glad I warmed up to this. I don't care how popular or unpopular its been. I also recently picked up a decant worth of Bond No 9 New Haarlem, and I love that too. Good way to have an alternative to the A*Men offerings.

04th March, 2010 (Last Edited: 23rd March, 2010)

Pleski's avatar

Nothing offensive, everything sweet,not at all sophisticated but perfectly pleasant. You can't really go wrong with this one. I wear it at dance parties, pity it doesn't last long.

12th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2010)

argentak's avatar

I have to admit this is my number one favorite fragrance to wear. I'ts got the leathery underbite of a popular 80's scent with the sweet, organic aura of the 90's all in one. I also have to admit that when you first smell or spray it from the bottle there is a split second where it actually smells kind of bad, which I suspect is the doing of the peppermint playing off of too many darker scents, but when it passes there's always a warm, sweet scent that's prevented from being too overpowering by the tar and coffee.

31st January, 2010

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

Definitely LOVE or HATE because this fragrance is EXTREME.

Puff more than 3 sprays and it will cause nausea(it did to me, though i love it). Puff 1 spray and it will develop into something amazing, intriguing, masculine and sweet.
    Definitely LOVE on my side + this fragrance will make you noticed , awesome silage and projection.

I see myself wearing it in the fall, the winter and spring. Definitely not for the hot weather.

26th January, 2010

shamu1's avatar

Few fragrances piss people off as much as A*Men. I think some people get mad that a man would have the audacity to wear such a loud, sweet and borderline feminine scent in public. I think that's the way I felt when I first tried A*Men several years ago.

Well I've finally found the love for this. Big time. This is one of my favorite and most worn fragrances. I think my love for A*Men is twofold. First, I love the way it blends patchouli with lavender and warm gourmand notes to create this soothing, almost creamy smell that lasts all day and gives me peace of mind. I just love this smell. The other reason is that the original Angel is one of my favorite women's fragrances, and A*Men smells like a masculine version of that. I love the fact that I now have a way to wear the infamous Angel accord in a masculine context.

I'm in my forties and I still wear this very comfortably. I wonder for how much longer I will feel that way. Will I be wearing this when I'm 73? Only time will tell. Until then, I'll keep wearing A*Men with my pinstriped suits at business meetings and in court.

A love-it or hate-it masterpiece of perfume artistry.

MY RATING: 10/10

15th December, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2011)

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Come on folks! This is awesome stuff that in all fairness will not appeal to wallflowers. Any offence is likely to be the result of being trigger happy with the flacon. Anyway, I won't repeat all that has been covered in the excellent reviews below, save to say that perhaps its only downside IMO is its ubiquity and instant recognisability that brings it into the mainstream.

22nd November, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2010)

terry0400-40's avatar

This has to be a favourite of mine and i can wear it at least once or maby twice a week.

Yes rich distinctive and somewhat addictive in nature, i use it as a cover for my pheromone applications.

I also have an occasional spray of my girls Elephant lol.....

12th November, 2009

mst09's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Terrible when I first used but sweet and nice is using to come later.

08th November, 2009

hashmita's avatar

India India

somehow iam not finding it as strong & long lasting as most of the members here claim it to be.
    the opening is very rich
    yes similar to animale animale
    staying power is good but not outstanding

23rd October, 2009

bokiluis's avatar

Just discovered this site while searching for an accurate description of the composition of A*ngel Men. I have been a fan since Thierry Mugler launched it originally in 1996 at Saks Fifth Avenue. At launch, it was a Saks exclusive for the first 5 years. If you were fortunate enough to receive your bottle on the initial run, you were given the Metallic Bottle w/engraving as a courtesy. Thanks to Uber Diva Diana Ross, I was first introduced to Thierry Mugler's incredible collection. I have been a fan ever since. But back to A*ngel men, to this day, it is the only fragrance that I wear. I use to wear it daily, but, since I am now semi-retired, I don't wear cologne everyday. The wonderful aroma of this cologne is alluring and sexy. The blend of sweets w/the oils is beyond seductive. I am proud that it has become my signature scent. When my best friend mentioned in passing, that this is "just the way I smell", I smiled proudly to myself. Women tend to notice it rather quickly......not so much men, as of yet. I use the body wash when I am going out for a special evening. Thanks to the astute fashion sense of one Saks sales associate, it was recommended that I try Khiel's Coconut Body Lotion to compliment the A*ngel Men. Wow, how perfect is that. In my obsession with the scent, I have tried other products including the Angel cream, deordorant and some of the other scents. None have quite reached the level of appeal, A*ngel Men still holds for me 13 years new! All the different redolences gently fold into each other creating this highly unique scent that will have people intimating "how pleasant it is to be around you".
    I cannot say enough about this gorgeous, towering achievement from Monsieur Mugler.

16th September, 2009

arabhammerhead's avatar

Great for dates. Women like the fragrance. The longest lasting fragrance I have tried - I can smell it even a day and a half later, and through a shower too. Chocolate, caramel, maybe a little tobacco also.

15th September, 2009

jamin4gt's avatar

Nice Fragrance for winter.

11th September, 2009

xraze's avatar

Every times I put on A*Men for the first 10 minutes, I'm sneezing. Can't help it. The top notes mix are a little sweet-y pepper to my nose. Then came a variation of flirty smell: in gourmand style, sweet and nice.

CAUTION: Use A*Men only on special occasion; date, party, casual dining, birthday. The smell just doesn't suit well with professional environment. Obviously do not wear this to the office unless you want to flirt with your colleague.

Reason for thumb up: Great mix for special occasion. Not the everyday smell you want to be associate with. Trust me [Unless you wanna be a vanillized mocha :p]

08th September, 2009

costaleo's avatar

Brazil Brazil

This is definetly love or hate. You can´t be in between, simply because it's a fragrance of extremes. Not for daily wear, not for hot weather. I wear it to party and love to smell it on me, 'eating ' it like I would eat a chocolate cake. It's a fragance that can't be put into words, it's a fragance to be experienced. I hated it on a friend of mine at first, but after some time I started to change my mind (nose) about it and had to buy it. Today it's one of the favorite fragance of all the ones I have.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 29th August, 2011)

MrFragranceReview's avatar

I tried this on a scent strip and did not like it but as I've heard that you need to put this on your skin to let the drydown come out because the tar can be overwhelming.

I ended up purchasing it because I strangely liked it at first but was still on the fence because it just seemed too strong and cloying. I've tried and tried to enjoy this scent because I love unique scents but I just can't seem to. It's too heavy, strong, cloying and the tar note just really gets to me.The drydown is far better but still doesn't fade much from the top notes so my skin chemistry just doesn't like this fragrance.

I gives a thumbs up to the originality and overall daring special smell of it but as for the fragrance itself, it's just not for me. I don't like it and I tend to enjoy gourmands and sweeter fragrances.

It may work for some people but not for me.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2010)