Positive Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Huzar's avatar

Poland Poland

I recently bought myself this frag and have to say that this the most strange perfume I've ever smelled. Smells like dark chocolate or like a birthday cake. The perfume is a little bit cloying when you overdose it so use it wisely. Girls love it, men say its interesting and "optimistic" fragrance. A*men is a very powerfull scent. When yesterday I sprayed myself behind the ears today when i opened my eyes i felt a quite noticeable smell and of course it was A*men. I recommend it for young, creative, sociable people. THUMBS UP!

06 September, 2008

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

Brilliant. It was my blind buy with Hanae Mori H.M. its brilliant, after 3 sprays I can feel it after a party night I didnt find it cloying as others I really could wear it at daytime with ease, box is orginal rubber but hard to spritz

10/10 as for me

06 September, 2008

jalexhrovat's avatar

I've rediscovered A*Men, and I must say I changed my mind about this one. It is a great all round fragrance, and worth the hype in my opinion. Definitely worth at least a sampling by any serious fragrance collector.

26 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 April, 2011)

Shaheen's avatar

As SirSlarty stated, a bakery in a bottle. I have also heard it referred to as Starbucks in a bottle, or a donut shop in a bottle.

A*Men is a delicious gourmand that incorporates chocolate, vanilla, caramel, peppermint, tar and coffee over a patchouli base. I must note that the base is quite the patchouli bomb, so be prepared for that. I have a feeling that the strong patchouli note is the cause of a lot of people not liking this fragrance.

Projection and longevity are nuclear. This is an extremely strong and potent fragrance that will choke people out of a room if you're not careful with how you apply it. This fragrance lasts a minimum of 16 hours on my skin (and I have extremely dry skin). I would say longevity is in the 24+ hour range.

Even if you don't like sweet fragrances or gourmands, I feel that everyone must at least TRY A*Men once.

17 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2011)

stylerico's avatar

I could not live without this. It is and has been for a few years "The One" fragrance I HAVE to have. I never grow tired of it. I can't stop smelling myself when I am wearing this. Sometimes I wonder why I wear anything else. To me there is nothing else like it. Very Loud at first, but when it dries, it is to die for!!

14 August, 2008

distortech's avatar

Everytime I smell this I go crazy. I love it! A true classic. I originally thought of this as a winter only scent, however, I am starting to change my opinion lately. It's great anytime. Great work!

17 July, 2008

acc's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Use this once if you want to experience the true meaning of a fragrance. You will start to call most other fragrances 'toys' and this one 'the hero'. Two sprays in the morning that will never leave you until you go to sleep or four sprays in the night that will ensure a strong presence through the night. You could never go wrong with this one if you just range 1 to 4 sprays according to the environment.
    The only thing you will not like will be that other men could use this too...

14 July, 2008

wtb's avatar

A*Men would be perfect if it not for that hideous tar note at the top of the heap when you smell it. It also takes for ever to get past it(4 hours at least). Other than that, I like it for clubbing in the fall and winter months. It truly brings about the sweet teeth in women who encounter it. Love it or hate it, a classic in the making.

14 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Fun gourmand. A bakery in a bottle.

04 July, 2008

mister_lance's avatar

A buddy of mine, a local night club owner, was telling me about A*men... he mentioned that he ran into a friend of his a few days prior to our conversation and she was telling him about how difficult it was to leave her boyfriend for the simple reason that she couldn't get over how amazing he smelled--he wore A*men. My buddy mentioned to me that he had a few other conversations over the years which revolved around the A*men awesome smell and that I might just have a little shred of hope with the ladies if I would just try it out.

Within minutes of receiving his email, and reading the reviews here on Basenotes, I was in Macy's to see what all of the hype was about... I was sold at first smell. It was simply amazing how so many different notes were present, some awful, like burnt tar, but as bad as the burnt tar is, it actually smells good when mixed with the other scents. After it had a minute to settle down, it was a really nice smell, as if I had just shaved and then the chocolate and vanilla came out to play for a while. Well, I'm not too fond of Vanilla... I think it was my highschool days of smelling Vanilla Fields on all of the young girls that gave Vanilla a bad name, but this Vanilla is different, it's really difficult for me to put into words, but I really don't mind it when mixed with all of the other notes.

I wasn't sure which bottle was the A*men, and the lady behind the counter didn't have a clue, so I ended up with what I now know to be A*men and B*men, which complements A*men nicely and I now mix the two.

The reactions from the ladies? Well, I've only worn it out on the town once, but I have worn it during my 9 to 5 and have noticed a difference in the amount of people willing to strike up a conversation with me, many more! In fact, I've met more people in the last two weeks than I have the entire year! People tend to move closer in to me and want to stick around for a while... I don't know, maybe it's a coincidence, but further studies will be held, rest assured. Oh, and that night I went to the club and wore A*men? I don't think I wore enough of it... I had been experimenting with how much to apply the few days leading up to the club night, but I don't think I had it right. Never-the-less, I did meet a lovely lady and we talked for hours.

I totally recommend this cologne... I can't wait to see what other shenanigans it gets me into, it should be fun!

03 July, 2008

pinkun's avatar

Thailand Thailand

The first time I wore this beast was truly a fearsome experience. I recalled correctly that the top note of A*Men almost fell me to the floor, and I was astounded because it was just ONE spray at my wrist. Few weeks later, due mainly to the fact that A*Men is the most reviewed perfume in Basenotes, I decided that I should revisit this cologne by buying a metal flask of 30ml.

It took me seven days in getting used to the smell of A*Men which started harshly before becoming to a terrific drydown. Yes, I was suffocated, tolerated, vomit induced, hardly breathed at the first few days of wearing A*Men; however, I began to appreciate every state of A*Men since then. This stuff has been my signature scent already!

For those who disgusts A*Men, I bet you could possibly turn out loving it after spending sometime with it (7 nights and days for me). It will be choking you at the very first time; then, you continue being stubborn, and you will find why half the world adore this scent.

14 June, 2008

Moneysuckle's avatar

I reserve this for night time activities like parties or clubbing where I will be surrounded by people with other fragrances on. While I have sampled nothing quite like this long-lasting, velvety, chocolate/coffee brew, my nose tires of it if I wear it too often. If you happen to be dating or married to a choc-o-holic, of course, it would be an excellent choice for an intimate evening.

13 June, 2008

jathanas's avatar

I can now see the uniqueness of this juice.

The strong sweet opening, the gourmand accords, and the dry-down that lasts all day.

Heaven in a bottle. After a year of delving into niche releases I've come full circle and I can really appreciate the magic here, frikkin' awesome!

22 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2009)

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Beautiful sweet scent with a great woody/vanilla drydown . made by Jacques Huclier.

04 May, 2008

jenson's avatar

India India

A*Men - its a classic. nothin else out there smells quite like it and could make you feel exclusive, rich, suave and most importantly, makes you feel good!

caramel? chocolate? vannilla? Tonka....if it brings you pictures of Rochas Man, then you are sadly mistaken. till date never been able to enjoy a scent the way i could Angel Men. its like reading a book, the notes keeps unfolding, morphing into each other with such precise manner that you will stop and you will sniff your wrist closely time to time to admire this beauty. its quite potent and last forever. Thumbs way up for this one. a Keeper.

23 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2008)

Karenin's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

I first bought A*MEN in 2000 as I had fallen in love with the fragrance. I thought it was original and different compared to other same-smelling mainstream fragrances. And it was my first designer fragrance. I remained faithful to this one for about 3.5 years, and then decided to kiss it goodbye and move on to something else. I still have a little bit left and the othe other day, just for the heck of it, I sprayed a few drops on my neck before going to bed. I shouldn´t have because I had problems falling asleep, thinking "I used to love this one?!?". I don´t know, it just seemed overpowering, too ruthlessly present. I can understand why people either love it or hate it- but to me, this controversial reception is an essential property any well-made fragrance should possess. I probably won´t return to it, but it does bring back a lot of fragrant (and other) memories...

20th April, 2008

SteveJB's avatar

Sweet, yet strong perfume. Not something I would personally use unless I'm in the mood to smell like chocolate, caramel, vanilla and coffee. A lady puller for sure.

15 April, 2008

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

My first contact with this one wasn’t so good… to be honest, it made me sick.
    Some years later and after some hundreds of others scents my nose was finally ready for A*Men and… I loved it… I loved it very much.
    Sometimes, when I splash some A*Men on my arm I smell it pretty piggish and I enjoy as much as Homer Simpson when he eats chocolate and he says: ”Mmmmm… sweeeeet”. Vanilla, caramel, chocolate… is there any sweet thing we know which isn’t in this scent?
    A*Men is very long lasting and super aggressive. If you like when the whole room smells like you than you should use Opium pour Homme, but if you have a huge desire that the entire building smells like you, than you should undoubtedly apply this one.
    I just couldn’t imagine A*Men on some mature man. Thanks God, despite my age (I’m 35 years old), I’m not so mature;-)

06 April, 2008

yasarzongur's avatar

Turkey Turkey

The opening notes are a bit disturbing, but you have to be patient to discover the real gem, so the dry down is excellent and long lasting. It is much better on the skin than it is on the clothes.

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2008)

Critic's avatar

Zimbabwe Zimbabwe

Yes, believe the hype. It is really THAT good. Sweet, sweet, sweet. Beautiful scent. I was anxious to try this gem so I went to theperfumeshop and the sales assistant who had sour breath sprayed it on my wrist. With this initially unpleasant experience I sniffed and dismissed A*Men as just a run of the mill fragrance. Luckily the weather brightened up and it got really hot. Worse still, I got into a stuffy bus. Here's where the magic began. The chocolate heavy scent began to project like nothing I have come across before. It was absolutely insane! I fel in love! Off that one spray, I was encompassed in a fresh but light chocolate cloud. People moved ever so closer. Whether this was because of A*Men or my rugged good looks ( he he), I will never know.

03 April, 2008

xclusive's avatar

Its isnt for everyone, if you think you can pull it off go for it. Its a bit on a "feminine" side so keep this in mind when your buying it. If you can pull it off and it actually suits you, then congrats you've just brought one of the best. its smells like a bakery which would be a instant turn off or on for people.

29 December, 2007

Spakdiddy's avatar

Cote DIvoire Cote DIvoire

this is the most wonderful fragrance when it's dried down, but, before you go out and buy it, you should know that it will smell like cotton candy and bengay for the first 2 hours before it settles down. but when it does, its smells like a piece of heaven.

27 December, 2007

nekhil's avatar

This is distincive fragrance and is sure to get compliments, although very powerful; too much and you will smell sickly sweet. Overall, it is clear why this is rated so highly.

22 December, 2007

jay_keepitreal's avatar

I only tried a sample vial of A*Men, but this scent is fantastic. It reminds me of christmas by the fire, with hot chocolate. It smells very edible, very dark and chocolatey to me. I spray on each wrist once, and on each side of my neck. I can always smell it, but people have to get closer to actually experience its greatness. My nose can sense it for atleast a good 8 hrs. My 1.7 oz. bottle is on the way NOW!!

19 December, 2007

redtailmomma's avatar

I enjoy my bottle of Youth Dew Amber Nude since it makes me smell yummy so I decided my husband needed to smell yummy too. Because of Basenotes advanced search I was able to find just what I was looking for for him.
    YDAN has notes of patchouli and chocolate which I just love so using the advance search I put those notes in to see what was available in men's colognes and A*Men came up. My daughter and I then went to the mall to check it out. We decided we liked it and bought some and brought it home. I unfortunately made the mistake of having my husband try it on right before we went to bed though and found it hard to fall asleep because the scent made me hungry.
    This is a dangerous cologne - do not wear around women you do not want licking you like your mother or aunts. My husband will from this day on have a bottle of this along with a list of rules as to where and when he can wear it!

17 December, 2007

kharisma92's avatar

Flat out classy!
    Longevity is unreal with this juice, but only wear it when the temperature is a maximum of 50 degrees. Warm weather makes Amen become way over powering.

12 December, 2007

cwinnipeg's avatar

I'm hooked. At first, when I smelled it on the card I dismissed it as far too sweet with an almost flat quality to it. Well, when I finally gave it a go and sprayed it on my wrist, I couldn't stop sniffing it. I don't like standard fragrance, and this definitely isn't standard by any means. It's a very warm, with patchouli, bergamot, chocolate and vanilla, but it also has peppermint and lavender, which seems to tone down the overly sweet notes. When I wear it I get so many compliments from both women and men, plus you only need a small amount, and it's actually quite inexpensive when compared to other fragrances. What's not to love?

08 December, 2007

Guayacan's avatar

I don't usually go for the sweet fragrances but I ordered a couple samples and the reaction from the ladies was incredible. I wear it on cold weather and mostly at night, and for clubbing

03 December, 2007

garymoore's avatar

Good stuff. Potent initially, but definitely good after the cook-off. (dry down)

30th November, 2007

Nicolas V's avatar

Strolling through the billowing snow, scarf around your neck, tuque on your head, breath completely visable, and the warm yet subtle scent of hot cocoa, mint, and coffee beans rising from your jacket. Delicious and comforting in the best possible way.

It has taken me some time to appreciate this gem, but appreciate it I do. I get none of the gasoline or syrupy crap scents from this one, but I also don't get the negative scents from Kouros and Farenheit either. A love it or hate it, certainly, and love it I do.

29 November, 2007