Positive Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

md1grwl's avatar

Love it. Deep n' sexy, warm n' chocolatey. Loud, strong, and a sillage monster.
    Awesome stuff when you want to be noticed! Though, I don't think its that outrageous as some make it seem. Its out there, but 'works' very, very well.
    Thumbs up. I will always have a bottle of this!

21st November, 2007

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

After having bought it four years ago, A*Men bored me quite quickly: the topnotes were good, interesting, powerful but the base was just too much caramel. My mother said I smelt like caramel and nothing else. Not exactly a compliment. Then a few months ago I began wearing it again and each and every time it attracts lots of compliments from the ladies. Don't most of them just love sweetness... Now I often go for it in chilly weather on days I won't be going to gym late afternoon, because then it is just too much. A Caramel Classic, that sums it up for me.

13th November, 2007

fudull's avatar

Albania Albania

A warm visit to the candy shop.

Literally, this fragrance has the intoxicating qualities of some of the most addictive edible sweets out there, which is not bad, but it tends to be a bit overpowering for the ones with sensitive noses. Thankfully, most girls love the sweets offered in this concoction and immediately notice the chocolate, caramel and vanilla in the drydown and positive comments pour in from all sides. Now the similarities with women's Angel are unmistakable, in fact my girlfriend has threatened to use my bottle on several occasions, but there is enough substance in the mid notes to bring some manliness to the mix, not much mind you, but just enough.

My biggest problem with this fragrance is the coffee. It does not really need to be there. It does not add any complexity and just caters to the noses of the Starbucks generation. Coffee has become a popular ingredient in the some of the new fragrances (Trussardi Inside Man, Polo Double Black, DKNY Be Delicious Men) I just hope the trend does not continue, isn’t it enough that the reek of coffee is in every aspect of society from the office to the restaurant and at home, now we must have a remainder of our need for caffeine by wearing its most pervasive aroma. Once upon a time a cup of coffee could conjure up wonderful memories, but now it is as common as car exhaust. No thanks, I’ll stick to tea, a flavor/aroma I find much less intrusive.

Overall, A*Men is well constructed and quite potent so don’t expect to shower with it and still retain your olfactory receptors. It is unique and long-lasting, which makes it very special indeed considering that it came out in the era of the aquatic invasion. Despite the coffee imposition, a definite thumbs up.

17th October, 2007

genvy5's avatar

Never got much of a chance to use my sample from Mugler. Just attended a Daft Punk concert, which was basically like a big club and everyone was freakin on everyone. Normally I found A*Men overbearing. I shot a spray at my chest under my two shirts mid-concert just to see what would happen. By that time, I was covered in sweat(and not just my own ;D) and continuing to produce it. A*Men is golden for clubbing. I can't explain it any better than that. Even post-concert it smelled divine, and tamer than my previous experiences. I can't think of anything I would rather take clubbing.

31st July, 2007

jrd4t's avatar

I love it.. it grows on you quickly. It's very warm and inviting and is one of those that you want to keep smelling.

21st July, 2007

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

160 reviews!?!?!
    I'll add my opinion noe the less.
    Smells too much like the women's version...my wife couldn't tell the difference, she thought I used her perfume.
    But that is the point...women will almost literally eat you.
    And the drydown is commendable.
    I normally would have ranked this lower, but anything that makes my wife 'want' me more is good in my book.

19th June, 2007

fusion's avatar

This is a wondeful scent if applied correctly and not judged on its top notes 2 sprays and 20 mins later its a love potion so be ready for plenty of compliments this is such a great fragrance a must try if you pass on this fragrance judgeing on its top notes you will be cheating yourself this is a 10 works magic on me

27th May, 2007

tessera's avatar

Men's scents work better on my sister's skin, so I tested this one out on myself. That initial note is indeed a lot like cleaner-I suspect it's the lavender and peppermint together. Then it fades off very fast and I get a vanilla patchouli so dried down that it's a velvety, chocolate/sandalwood. Since I hate patchouli, this is a plus. It's lovely, warm and attractive. I would snuggle up to a man wearing this.

26th May, 2007

pookerella's avatar

My first Thierry Mugler purchase was Angel for Men, as I fell in LOVE with the chocolate and whatever is reminiscent of pipe tobacco in this mixture. The caramel is more apparent here as well. Really luscious, use sparingly at night only.

15th May, 2007

melancholic-botanist's avatar

Poland Poland

Cigarettes + coton candy. Very strong (and unique as well)

12th May, 2007

nthny's avatar

This really stands out as something completely different though it shares components (coffee vanilla chocolate tonka bean) with so many other gormand offerings. It is daring and never ceases to garner compliments. The initial blast is very confusing, I'll give you that (for a second I almost smell pinesol probably due to the lavender/mint combo) but those initial notes dry down quickly to reveal a warm rich fragrance that is very intimate. I can't imagine not having it in my collection simply as an alternative to the norm and because it deserves to be part of any collector's stash. Does NOT combine well with the saltiness of sweat so it does NOT work on warm days or in a steamy club situation but rather a crisp fall or winter sweater day or cafe night, for walking through the city with a Starbucks in hand in the cold. I generally am a fan of finely crafted, unique fragrances, and this may be rather pedestrian in that regard. But for the 100% unique warmth it conjurs, it is definitely a worthy fragrance.

07th May, 2007 (Last Edited: 26th April, 2008)

optimus's avatar

I am fairly new to the world of fragrances, and A*Men was my first blind buy. I was a bit nervous that it will come out disgusting, as some of the reviews here say; but I wanted a sweet fragrance, so I took my chances. When I got it, and sprayed a bit on the back of my hand, and smelled it, it was a real shock. The top notes are very sweet, and it is extremly powerful. But I actually liked it, it smelled very nice and unique. The base notes are also extraordinary with chocolate and coffee. Be careful not to overspray becaue it is incredibly strong and it lasts forever. This is a fragrance which some will find disgusting, but others will love it. I liked it, and recommend that you try it first, to see if you like it or not.

29th April, 2007

jlros's avatar

The initial impression is WHOA! too sweet and not wearable. Thankfully, as it dries down it becomes more tied to the basenotes and mellows to a nice blend of chocolate, coffee, caramel. The lavendar remains. It is not an everyday scent but has a place in the rotation.

08th April, 2007

DesGrieux's avatar

At a perfumery in Venice I once talked to a salesman who held the fragrances of Creed in highest regards ("Green Irish Tweed is probably the best fragrance ever made") while bashing A*Men for its tasteless vulgarity ("This one is a mess."). I have to agree because I agree with his premises: From the viewpoint of "high perfumery" this one i s an olfactory monster that cannot be judged in comparison with fragrances from e.g. Creed and, most of all, Serge Lutens.

It has its own dignity. If one accepts wearing something utterly popular and mass appealing, one can grow to like this one. I turn to A*Men from time to time when I get bored by wearing my other scents (which doesn't happen all that often), when I don't feel strong enough to put on something more superior (like any of the Serge Lutens'). And then the gourmand aspect of A*Men seems to me a revelation. It's always new to me. But I usually go through the same development: Initial joy vanishes and then comes this not to chase away feeling: Guy, you have put on something which protects you from being taken serious. It's true: A*Men is a "fun" fragrance, but not one you could wear to make a statement other than that you are a clown.

Therefore I have had "olfactory success" with women. Many contemporary women tend to like the clown aspect of a man, because it makes controlling him easier. Many fear self-conscious men that are wearing something brutally regardless of what others think. A*Men, applied lightly, might make you a conquerer: But be aware that your conquest is rotten from the beginning!A*Men is the ultimate fragrance of self-deceit.

03rd April, 2007

leitwollf's avatar

A few weeks ago i went to a parfume shop and tried this one on my wrist. I thought it was disgusting. So i bought another one and went home.
    At home my girlfriend told me that my perfume smelled super. I hadn't used my new one and remembered that i had tried the Angel Men. And it really smelled very fine after that time. The next day i bought it.
    This one is incredible, and most women seem to like it.
    The problem is, that the top-notes are so intensive that i get a headache from it. So i only take one pump.

08th March, 2007

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

It is a very sweet and nice fragrance, but it should be used very very discreet. In the summer it is very unappropriate and it may let u smell like perspiration. BUt for an evening out in the town, it is THE RIGHT ONE. Take it

15th February, 2007

Parotte82's avatar

This is a classic cologne and this is one of the first botles that I actually purchsed and loved back in my high school days. I can still remember having my arms around two ladies while walking down the halls and them stating " you smell so good" I hope the other half of me doesnt read this lol. If you like sweet fun smelling scents then this is the one for you. i highly recommend you give it a try.

12th February, 2007

sshak13's avatar

I was disgusted by A*Men, but then I realized that it was the most amazing cologne out there, others will find you tantalizingly irresistable. The chocolate note drives the woman insanely, and their legs just cant be closed. THUMBS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY UP!

10th February, 2007

thisbekevinn's avatar

I love this cologne and everything about it! It smells kind of wierd on paper but on my skin it smells amazing, it's so soft and sweet just like a Angel! I didn't buy it right away because I just bought 3 colognes that same day and was short on money. I'm planning on getting the 1.7oz rubberflask for $50 at Nordstrom.

I tried some on today and it's just amazing. But it's 100% a true before you buy fragrance.

14th January, 2007

LeMâle's avatar

This is one of those that one day I will love and then the next I'll hate. I love how this smells after a few hours, it is an amazing gourmand. I do however occasionally dislike the top notes, I find them a bit of a let down for something as great as Angel Men. The drydown however makes up for the opening, and makes this one smell incredibly delicious, I would never hesitate to wear this granted I had a few minutes to allow the opening to die down.

27th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 17th February, 2012)

Jean-Baptiste Grenouille's avatar

Ireland Ireland

I tested this today and was initially shocked - It's VERY unique. I am definitely buying this, however. The smell reminded me of incense and chocolate - that may sound strange but it works extremely well and lasts forever. I was walking in cold weather for a few hours well after I applied the fragrance and every now and then I smelt the rich fragrance on me - a reminder that it was still there...it's an excellent choice for cold weather and it just lasts and lasts. It's a daring scent for sure, but if you haven't tried it I urge you to. No matter what you'll be very surprised.

18th December, 2006

Stelios_X_opa's avatar

A*Men is a little overpowering at first, but give it a chance.
    AMAZING drydown, beautifully crafted fragrance, long lasting and attention grabbing.

SO worth the money... (though i get it free :-) )

12th December, 2006

zenpiper's avatar

I like this stuff. It is dark and mysterious and compelling and good. It draws me in again and again with its complexity. That said, this is not "me" any more than is driving around in a Ferrari. A Men is something I can appreciate and admire but I just can't get comfortable with it: what am I trying to prove? If I want power that is closer to "me" I'll go for either Boucheron or Creed Tabarome.

05th December, 2006

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

It's the strongest gourmand I've ever smelt! It's not for everyone: very, very sweet and thick, even dark (due to the coffee). This one is great for clubbing and night events. Lasts for ages and has a lot of sillage.
    For the beginners I'd recommend starting with Obsession, L'Instant, Rochas man and then, try this one!

13th November, 2006

akshay03's avatar

I recently bought my bottle of Angel Men from a small fragrance store in the mall (after finding out Macys doesn't carry it). I saved money by getting the refill bottle which works just fine without the flashy rubber or metal cases. I went into the purchase knowing the reviews and the vibe it got from the Basenotes community and on first spray I was a little shocked - it really wasn't something to rave about. I tried airing out the slip of paper with the sample and sniffing it again and all I could smell was chocolate mixed with cotton candy.

Even though I didn't like the smell initially, I kept in mind the reviews and bought the bottle anyway. I had to go to a party later that day so after I took my shower I held the bottle away from me and sprayed about 3 times on my chest, arms, and neck. Initially the smell was very strong but after I put my clothes on and went out, I warmed up to it. It smelled delicious and the smell was exuding off me in a positive way. Usually, for my body, colognes don't really stay that long but it turns out that this is one heck of a long-laster. The girls went crazy and were constantly pulling me close to them just to smell me. I've never gotten that reaction from a cologne and this is one I'm sticking to.

The next morning it was still there! I had to scrub it off and then repply :)

It's a keeper - and the best part about it is it's no Acqua di Gio and I feel exclusive wearing it.

23rd October, 2006

lespritz's avatar

This smells incredible, and it's so unique..it gets so many compliments..but it can get over-powering..did I mention I drown myself in it...however, due to the sugary nature of this cologne, I'm sure even more bees would escort you throuhout the day...

23rd October, 2006

jellybean1973's avatar

South Africa South Africa

From the lovers of this fragrance, everything has been said. This is something that will always be in my wardrobe. Love it or hate it, this one will always evoke a response. For the record - I LOVE it!

21st October, 2006

Quarry's avatar

They say the Angel family of scents creates two camps: lovers and haters; yet I developed an ambivalence about the women's Angel and Angel Innocent (which I preferred to Angel). I was attracted and yet not enthralled. After reading about A*men's popularity, I bought a sample.

This is the best of the bunch. At the moment of application, there's a discordance, but in a few minutes I'm conveyed to a coffee shop with vintage wooden floors and tables. The coffee and chocolate don't announce their identities overtly, but are present within a semi-sweet and cozy atmosphere. The men's fragrance escapes the shrieking high-pitched and overly sweet notes of the other Angel products I've sampled. I'd declare the men's Angel to be wholly unisex, so my lady friends, give it try.

18th October, 2006

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

One of the great scents of the last decades!Special, unique ! Outstanding!But only a few drops!Do not exaggerate and then wait....for a long,long time...and then judge....okay?!It is a perfume, a real good intense and complex-definitely not boring!Sensitiv and sexy, warm and sensual,dominating and daring-and wherever you are -you will recognise it ! This is obsession and passion and not a simple and vulgar edt of 2006......

15th October, 2006

Cognoscento's avatar

After seeing all the controversy, I had to smell this for myself. I can see why this polarizes people - it's very strong, and the first blast is a shock. To me, the big blast of patchouli combined with the alcohol carrier was almost skunky.

This lasted for quite awhile, and then the feral sharpness began to balance with sweeter notes. After about 15 minutes, the sweetness began to predominate, and I began to like it. Finally, awhile later, I began to get the chocolate vibe. So to me, there were four discreet stages, and I really liked the final result. Every so often during the next few hours I'd get another nice waft, with yet more subtle differences.

It was a valuable lesson in testing something beyond the top notes; it's about the most complex drydown I've experienced. I like the complex chocolate character a whole lot. To me, the smells are palpably sexual.

14th September, 2006