Positive Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I get a bomb blast of burnt sugar in the opening. I don't specifically get a tar note, but I believe it is the intense sugary (burnt) blast that leads one to perceive a tar note. As countless others have observed, this fragrance needs time to develop on your skin. After about an hour, one starts to notice hints of a chocolate aroma. However, this is not an ordinary chocolate, but a delicious dark chocolate that gets richer as the hours past. After about 3 to 4 hours, the fragrance fully settles on my skin. Imagine the aroma of chocolate used to layer the most delicious chocolate chip cookie in the world, fresh out of the oven. it is simply wonderful. Just make sure you don't judge this masterpiece based on its opening after the initial spray. Give it time to develop on your skin. A gourmand for the ages.

Longevity: Comfortably 8+ Hours
Projection & Silage : Astounding - People in and around you will notice you for hours on end
26th August, 2016
This has been a strange one for me. When I first sampled it I concluded that it was a foul mess. I thought it was an example of throwing together a bunch of ingredients that do not work together in a quest to be unique. The mistake I made was that I used a sample card and only got the top notes. That is exactly what not to do with any fragrance, but especially with this one. As has been said many times the initial blast can be offputting. The magnificence of A*Men reveals itself through evolution. So I revisited and sampled this on my skin. Then I bought it.

It is no secret that A*Men has great sillage and longevity. My wife complimented that I smelled great approximately 12 hours after spraying this on. It is subsequently her favourite scent on me. On my skin the initial harshness only lasts momentarily and then the longer this stays on me the better it seems to get.

So from initially hating this, I have found it to be almost like my perfect scent. I have a taste for gourmands and in hindsight I could have missed out on an essential addition to my collection. I can see why this garners polarised opinions because it represents an extreme of a fragrance genre. A lot of men, (some would say the majority) currently have a preference for fresh fragrances. I can appreciate fresher fragrances but stand firmly in the gourmand camp so this works effortlessly for me. A classic.
02nd March, 2016 (last edited: 24th May, 2016)
3rd time owning...seems to smell different each time. Formally more chocolatey, now seemingly more tarry? IDK. Still good though. I don't know if I want a 4th. Probably another flanker first.
16th February, 2016

This fragrance has hands down proven two basic facts for me...." Never Judge a fragrance in a single wearing" and "our nose change with time and age". When i first tried it in 2004 i discarded it immediately and thought of it as SHIT. those were the days when i was in love with Cool Water and only preferred fresh aquatics. Today in January 2016 this smells like heaven to me. I bought it in December 2015 Christmas and have enjoyed it thoroughly. It is a fragrance best experienced in Cold weather. It warms you up and makes you feel cozy.
Another thing about this fragrance is that it grows on you. First wearing it was ok, Second time it was Above average, third time it was good and now after a dozen or so wearings i absolutely love it. I even enjoy the harsh opening tar note to the fullest. Its to the point of being addictive now.
As a fellow member wrote this fragrance is almost like a living being. It evolves on your skin and smells different upon each wearing.
The honey and chocolate in the drydown are amazing
The coffe in the middle is spell bounding.

A true masterpiece.
14th January, 2016
This is one of the most complex fragrances i have ever come across.
It behaves differently in different conditions & keeps you guessing all the time.
The dry down after 2 hours is simply amazing, smells like a chocolate cake + cookies + rose & jasmin.

Sometimes smells like chocolate cookie dipped in with milk & made a paste of. (Real gourmand)

Projection: Excellent
Longevity: 16+ hrs

18th November, 2015
I got this in 2012, before it was re-formulated? I'm guessing. It has remained one of my powerhouses and has never let me down as a fragrance. It does its job.
It's one of my favourite scents although not versatile, only wear it on Cold Winter nights and days that require a sense of warmth in your life. It's a fragrance that gives you that warmth effect accompanied with good winter sense of fashion. I'm a huge fan of the tar, coffee and chocolate vibe to it.
I wear fragrances because it makes me feel a type of way, and how it correlates to my fashion. Compliments come after.
I don't really get compliments on this one however I do get asked what I'm wearing. So it will get you noticed that's for sure if that's what you're hoping for

Scent - 8 personally. 6.5 general consensus
Longevity - 10 preformulated
Sillage - 10+++
Versatility - 2
04th September, 2015
Salutation.

A*Men is A Great Show by THIERRY MUGLER.it is not so easy Forgettable.Definitely one of the best Frgrances in my father collection. Everytime He wore it The scent stay in our place for a long time!

Sweet,Warm and Attractive.In my opinion it is Much better than Female version.So strong opening but Gradually i found a LOVELY scent on my skin Like a Creamy Vanilla or Coffe mate!In fact it had blended so Well on my skin.

Certainly it is Sharp and Offensive if wearning Everyday and in the Hot weather even more 2 spray but when you Wearning it in Right Mood you will To see REAL NATURE it.

Where is the right mood?Generraly special Moods like a ROMANTIC evening in WINTER because in my opinion A*Men is Supplement HOT moments meantime in the Prties Most people can besotted with Your EDT.For some people It is really Heavy then you must to test it before buy!

Sillage?Excellent.

Lonegvity?Is really Weird on my skin.

7.75/10
18th April, 2015
Sweet and strong, this original entry is the epicenter of the A*Men legacy. The main note list of peppermint, patchouli, coffee, cedar, leather on the Mugler website is accurate. All are there, with the coffee and patchouli being most prominent, at least to me. There's not a ton of evolution to the scent, and I think its consistency is one if its greatest advantages, as the patchouli and coffee seem to slowly take over, the coffee giving a chocolate-like display, though it does not truly smell like milk or dark chocolate, or even rawer cacao.

Projection and longevity are great, as a few sprays project a few feet, and it lasts 12+ hours, with even more on clothes (also an advantage, in most cases).

For some perspective, I'd be remiss if I didn't add that after experiencing the flankers---specifically, Pure Malt and Pure Havane---the original just does not seem complete. The sweetness of the coffee isn't satisfying, as even the much-maligned Pure Coffee seems to beat out Angel Men in terms of the fragrance alone. The leather is an odd addition. There's credit to be had for the originator, but Pure Malt and Pure Havane (PH is sweeter than PM, by the way) simply blow Angel Man out of the water.

The main selling point of the original is that it's less sweet than Pure Malt or Pure Havane, if those two are too overwhelming simply because of the sweetnees. Of course, some will find Angel Man itself too sweet, and to those, I'd recommend staying away from PM, PH, PB, B*Men, Taste of Fragrance.

Very good fragrance, but not one I need to buy a bottle of since PM and PH exist.

7 out of 10
27th February, 2015
Definitely when applied to the skin properly this is a worthy scent to have in the collection.
23rd February, 2015
This was recommended to me by a friend of mine who said it was irresistible. That's certainly one word for it. It's quite powerful, so I suppose resistance is indeed futile.

I'm...I was going to give it a thumbs down. But I waited. And I'd say almost 2 hours in is where this stops being an angry cocoa butter hand lotion and becomes something different entirely.

It's not necessarily warm. It's almost chaotic. This is certainly unique; it's as if sweet and spicy are having a land war on your skin (or my skin at least.)

I think I love it. Or hate it?

A*Men is a wonderfully unique chaos. That's my two.
10th July, 2014
Just had to get this after all the encouraging reviews and even though this was a blind buy, I must say this is elegance at its best and a powerhouse. Like most reviewer have mentioned its either you love it or hate it... and its that exact love/hate vibe that I love about it, I love to wear strange smelling cologne that people with no "nose" will hate but someone with the knowledge, exposure and the "nose" will appreciate. Its one of those you want to wear while wearing a nice smart shirt with jeans or probably when you're in a suit and want alot of attention. I highly recommend this to a more mature 30+ age range because anyone below won't really pull it off. Like I mentioned earlier this juice is a powerhouse and you'd wanna take it easy on the trigger as this stuff goes 12+ easily with minimal strays.

Conclusion: Sweet caramel tonka beast you want to always have in your collection when you feel like seeking attention while kinda dressy.

UPDATE: This beast is a masterpiece, I keep getting different whiffs of complex gourmand out of the world goodness almost like a candy floss shop and believe me that's just from 2-3 minimal sprays. This juice is one in a million, I haven't gotten any comments from anyone yet after three days of wearing it, not that its not good but because the kind of people I work with are not into colognes and wouldn't really say anything as all they know is "he smells good all the time" lol!!!! But believe me when I say this juice is a must-have, actually I think you'd wanna keep it for those special days you wanna dress up and smell good. I've always kept my Terre d'hermes as my big gun in my arsenal but now I feel I have two big gun.
17th June, 2014
My girlfriend at the time, her step dad gave me a bag of samples for Christmas. One of the fragrances was A*men at the time I had no idea how much of a beast this fragrance was. Now that I have another samples I think its time to grab a bottle.
28th May, 2014
This is a truly amazing fragrance. Complete opposite of a linear fragrance. I personally love this one from start to finish. Definitely a fall or winter scent that will get you noticed. Some will love it and some will the it but hey there's no pleasing everyone. As soon as my sample is gone I will be purchasing a 100ml bottle if this. This scent makes me want to try all of Thierry mugler's line of fragrances.
24th February, 2014 (last edited: 01st October, 2015)

This stuff just ruined my day. I've been reading some of the reviews on this and thought I'd swoop by the mall at lunch and spray some on to see for myself. One tiny little squirt on my wrist; really, that's it. I'm back here at work and the whole office is pissed off at me. My presence is filling the building. I've tried to wash it off twice but it's still hitting me like a punch in the face. Everyone knows it's me. This is like a cruel practical joke. Forget the "notes" or whatever. People are starring and I have a meeting in an hour. This would be funny if I could get it off. But I can't. I'm a little bit embarrased.

Make sure you spray yourself at least 6 times before you go to work. You'll get noticed. Chicks will dig you. Your boss will love it.

(just kidding. don't ever do that.. really.)

Maybe onion will get it off.
11th February, 2014
Wearing A*Men is little like dressing like a rock star: you will stand out, you will get attention, not all of it good. I have put a *single shot* on after my morning shower and still been able to smell it 23 hours later upon waking up.

The scent itself is lovely, I will let others with more refined noses discuss the notes. If you like the scent it is an easy buy, but you damn well better like it because you will be smelling it all day. I wish the bottle had a 'half shot' selector switch.

While I do like it, this one is relegated to my "one in a while" pile with my skinny jeans and band t-shirts.
06th February, 2014
This frag is perfect for days when it's freezing cold. The overwhelming note to me is chocolate and it only works for me on bitterly cold days or nights. You can get by with samples if 32 degree weather is only a small part of your year.
06th December, 2013
Vile

Vile, plutonium-strength confection.

Pros: Lasts forever
Cons: Sickly"

26th October, 2013
Public Restroom

Seriously? This smells like a public bathroom. Don't wear this.

Pros: Great Bottle
Cons: Everything"

22nd October, 2013
EWWWW

I thought it was just me but I can't stand the smell of this cologne. It projects TOO much and it smells really cheap. I don't understand all the hype.

Pros: cheap
Cons: projection is unreal"

09th September, 2013
Make the whole planet smell you.

This stuff projects to the point where you almost need to crack a window. Longevity is unmatched by any fragrance I've ever come across. You will smell like it. Your clothes will smell like it. Your house will smell like it. Hell, even your washing machine and shower will smell like it.

Opening note is almost horrendous with the tar. It smells like someone poured asphalt nutella and coffee in a used ashtray. But it seems necessary to get the final sweet symphony that makes me feel, for lack of a better word, yummy. I find that my wife snuggles a little closer to me after a long day of wearing this beast.

All I can really say is; tame that beast, face your fear, go buy a bottle, spray it on, wait 4 or 5 hours, then leave your house. Lol, I'm kidding. But this is a great example of a scent that you should definitely try before you buy and give it a chance to open up before you throw it in the trash.

Pros: Longevity. Dry down.
Cons: To a point, projection. Opening notes. "

07th September, 2013
Mmm... Bold Flavor.

I had been wanting to try A*Men for years, but it just never happened until this past week. I received a few samples of it from a friend of mine, and I've honestly been on the fence about it since the first day. At times I feel that it's a scent that I am biologically incompatible with. Yet, at other times, I have a sudden desire to smell it... again, and again, and again. It's quite strange the way it toys with my emotions, as I can't recall ever feeling this way before with any other fragrance. Predominant notes of bold, woody (Cedar to be exact) musk and incense, and eventual base notes of chocolate, mint, caramel, and a hint of tobacco. Having been raised Catholic and regularly attending mass for many years, I can put an undeniably close distinction of similarity between A*Men and the ritual incense used in the Catholic Church. It's actually uncanny how similar the two scents are. And, now that I think about it, upon my first inhalation of this fragrance, I knew there was an incredibly familiar underlying note that I just couldn't diagnose immediately. Then, as it became more subtle, the incense really started to shine through. There are many competitive bold notes in A*Men, most of which try to make a big scene in the beginning, but once they relax, it's really smooth sailing until the end.

Pros: Lasts a good length of time. Excellent sillage.
Cons: Overly-brute strength if not careful."

18th July, 2013
I Should be Riding my Harley...!!

Thierry Mugler is fast becoming my favorite cologne designer... I now own seven (7) or more of his fragrances and love them all. All are similar to the next, but each offers a different spin that becomes a unique fragrance. Well done Thierry Mugler...

A*Men comes out of the bottle hot (Hot meaning strong and can be overwhelming) with notes of tar, leather, pepper, and chocolate and then settles to a sweeter musk scent that is fantastic. I am a huge fan. The fragrance is ripe for a high "Wow Factor" as I routinely get compliments on the fragrance. It is truly unique. There are plenty of nay-sayers out there and I will admit - coming out of the bottle, most Mugler's fragrance are not so appealing - it is the dry down that becomes pleasant. And the beauty - the Mugler fragrances, including A*Men, last all day. There is no problem lasting eight (8) hours on the skin and until the next day on clothing.

I would feel comfortable wearing A*Men any season and for any event, but I suppose the experts say that fall or winter are most appropriate time with evening wear as ideal. Me - anytime and anywhere..!! The bottle and packaging are first class and Mugler offers that "above and beyond" customer service with registering your fragrance. The bottle designs are unique and "the jury is still out" on whether I like them. I can't see the "rubber bottles" and would expect something more fitting - I have the small bottle of A*Men that is clear - I love clear bottles that allow seeing the clarity of the fragrance.

The price/value is a slight deduction - but I am willing to pay more for longer lasting fragrances. As I routinely say, I have lots of problems - but money isn't one of them..!!

My final evaluation of A*Men is 4.5 stars out of 5 stars. Only the (rubber) bottle design and price/value away from perfection. The fragrance is awesome and I definitely recommend buying - just brace yourself for that initial blast and wait (keep telling yourself to wait) for a few minutes for the dry down. You will be glad you did. The beauty in communication - make sure you listen constructively...!!
14th May, 2013
del Show all reviews
A*Men/Angel Men reminds me of the delicious aroma of a hot chocolate rice porridge (champorado) on a cold morning. Distinctive, especially the opening "tar" note, which gives it a unique incense vibe. Caramel-y, sweet, chocolate-y -- the drydown is rich and creamy. Longevity is excellent, and the projection is wide, despite the reformulation rumors.

Strong, maybe too strong to some people -- one or two sprays go a long way. I agree with majority's sentiment that A*Men is a love-hate fragrance; and I fall under the love camp. This great gourmand is a must-experience.
09th April, 2013
This is strange, but alluring. The tar and Chocolate work well together. I disliked it the first time I sniffed it, but it grew on me. I don't think I'd wear it in the hot humid summer though
02nd March, 2013
(****)

As legions of perfumes have affirmed, it's difficult to improve on Angel's deliriously trashy and husky structure. Released two years after its mother, A*men tones down Angel's monstrous cassis backbone, keeps the tarry dissonance, and throws in a camphoraceous lavender to ensure men that they are indeed on the right side of the perfume aisle. Overall, very good, though not nearly so wonderful as its archetype.
22nd February, 2013 (last edited: 11th March, 2013)
Well this is a very well known gourmand scent.. caramel and vanilla mostly, extremely sweet. Smells great indeed, but sometimes gets cloying. Lasting power, sillage and projection are great/huge. This is a must have for any collector. Thumbs up!
06th January, 2013
Mr. TL Show all reviews
If you base your impression purely on reviews of this fragrance, I feel sorry for you. Some will lead you to believe this is the most repulsive, tar-like fragrance ever...what I get is an awesome incense-like vibe that is mellow and pleasing. I was expecting hot road tar, and what I got was just awesome. Shame on the negative reviewers for being so awfully biased and misleading.
26th December, 2012
There are better gourmands, but atleast this one attempts to take a creative risk. The tar note is the main drawback, but if it was there then it would be a boring chocolate fragrance. Overall, good juice.
24th December, 2012
That stinky output of which many complain, to me is the glory. Full of character and personality. Drying is masterful, is when the fragrance begins to like more to those around you. For me, A * Men is the culmination of designer gourmand (I know I'm not saying anything new) XD
22nd December, 2012
This is one of the two most powerful colognes I have ever smelled, the other being Amouage Gold. No wonder men clear elevators with this. I don’t mind it; however, I prefer B*Men. A*Men continues to remind me of are a particular brand of glue we used in Primary School, and a young lady at work today said it smelt like her grandmother’s wardrobe, neither of which comparisons need be detrimental to this totally unique smell. Did I say unique? In connection with a Mugler fragrance? Nah… Can’t be!!
19th December, 2012