Positive Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

everyman's avatar

When I first smelled it, I was one of the people that gagged. I hated it. I found it repulsive. But recently, as I found Basenotes, I opened my mind to all fragrances and decided to give A*men another try. I actually got a sample of it, without even asking from Nordstroms. Luckily I read Stuffman's comments. I did exactly what he said and held it way way back from my body and sprayed it, rather than saturating my arm up close. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I fell madly in love with it. I cannot believe it, actually. I know crave it. It's one of my most favorite fragrances. So I had some kind of divine angelic intervention with this cologne. I never would have believed I could go from vile hatred to total love. So, I really can relate to everybody's feelings about this cologne. I have been in both camps. But, I don't relate to it as a gourmand, even. I just feel so amazing when I wear it, like no other scent I have ever experienced. No one is more surprised than I am.

07 September, 2006

deepthought's avatar

Wow, this one has illicited a few negative reactions.
    I actually find it very good on my skin, however, my skin is a freakish chemical laboratory which has weird chemical reactions with every fragrance I put on it....................
    Just bear in mind that the same chemical which gives red wine it's character is the chemical responsible for smelly socks so peoples sensitivites to certain notes in any fragrance can provoke a negative association.

07 September, 2006

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I find A Men very fascinating. I have a couple of Angel dupes which smell almost exactly like it, yet somehow they are all gourmand and girlie and sweet while A Men somehow manages to be very masculine or men's cologne-y. So yeah, A Men is the ultimate masculine gourmand, 100% masculine and 100% gourmand.
    I definitely see why a lot of people would find it obnoxious, but I find it intriguing. It has a dry patchouli note, a slightly sharp/minty cologne/chypre note and a load of caramel, coffee and chocolate. Sweet, but definitely adult sweet since it's so dry and yes, almost burnt (which I really enjoy).
    I put it on from a sample vial, not a spray, and I love it that way. Addictive and mouthwatering, yet the green chypre notes keep it from being nauseatingly gourmand. The balance is just like a masculine, strong version of my cheap drugstore Angel dupe (I think) "Love & Dreams: Blue Moon" - the same addictive, mouthwatering yet still fresh and green combo of chypre/herbs and gourmand notes.

06 September, 2006

citkane33's avatar

Germany Germany

Very interesting fragrance and definitely wearable when used moderately. 3-4 light sprays are plenty. You don´t want to over apply A*Men, ever. I suspect that a great deal of the people who find it repulsive, simply use too much of it.

01st September, 2006

's avatar

If you like chocolate then you will love it. If you dont then dont touch it.

07 June, 2006

joeybear's avatar

A*Men is great. It smells like burnt chocolate cake, caramel, and incense. Wow! Unlike anything I have ever smelled. No wonder it won Basenotes awards. Only problem is it's way too overpriced.

24 April, 2006

castorpollux's avatar

The first time i tried this one on, i recalled some dark room when i was little where there were some woods stored and it was hot, the scent is not quite the same but it came close. The second time i tried it, i loved it! The dark chocolate (and i'll be more specific: 70% dark venezuelan chocolate!) and tobacco notes are very strong and i like that a lot. But i don't find it terribly sirupy nor incense-like. I bought it and i don't go crazy with the sprays but a little goes a long way. It's a very nice gourmand.

13 April, 2006

benb's avatar

I dont really know what to say about this. Some days I like it some days I cant stand it. It is really a coldweather scent. This is something you use to show ur big confidence.

12 April, 2006

giraffe's avatar

I wear this scent, even though I'm a woman. It smells like that powdered orange drink, TANG.

14 March, 2006

Stuffman's avatar

This one's in a league of its own. When worn correctly, its gourmand notes are truly sublime, and depending on how much you wear, sure to attract attention. There is a critical issue with this scent, however- the way you apply it determines whether it smells sublime or repulsive. If sprayed too close to the body in small, concentrated "patches," it tends to give off a burnt, putrid smell. If sprayed far away and allowed to cover a large area, the scent will be much more smooth and smell just truly fantastic. If you have a sample vial that doesn't spray, don't even bother- there's no way you can put it on right without spraying it. A little goes a long way, and the scent seems to last forever. Definately something worth checking out.

09 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2006)

atalbest's avatar

The first time I tried this, a very long time ago, I oversprayed and I thought it was sickening. Howver I gave it a second chance and it became one of my top 2 favorite smells. The initial smell is still a bit strong but it is really original, nothing like it. The drydown is simply a pleasure for the sense of smell. The caraml-chocolate-vanilla-lavender smell u get after 2-3 hours is simply amazing. Love it

08 March, 2006

robyogi's avatar

From the multitude of reviews posted, this looks like it's mostly a "love-it-or-hate-it" fragrance, so I am happy to post a neutral review. This fragrance has some qualities I like: chocolate, patchouli, and musk, to name three. It also has some qualities I really do not like. It is very, very strong. I noticed someone mentioned using more than four sprays; Somewhere around one I am maxed out. This is (overly) potent stuff. Another quality that I do not like is that, at least on my skin, this one comes across extremely dark. There are no light or uplifting notes at all, which leads to a sense of swampiness. I tried to wear this during the day and it just didn't work. Still, even with these negatives, I feel that this is a bold and unique scent. Also, it was recommended to me by a woman I worked with. There seems to be something about women and chocolate... At any rate I am glad that Mugler took the risk in producing this, even if it's something that I would not wear very often.

UPDATE 5/4/11:
    I'm changing this to a thumbs-up. I revisited this fragrance recently and I am really surprised at how well it has stood the test of time. It still smells unique and "new (even though the first whiff took me right back to 2000 when I started wearing this). Plus, it's interesting, which is a lot more than I can say about just about anything I find on the counter at Macy's. Also, if misted very lightly - you know the game, spray in the air and walk through it - it actually attains some lift from the lavender and mint. Finally, it doesn't reek of chemical musks. It may, and likely does, contain them, but doesn't reek of them. So, all-in-all, thumbs-up for this classic.

26 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 04 May, 2011)

yeye's avatar

Really nice. Lasts a long time and simmers into this chocolatie smoldering effect. For certain a fall/winter cologne. I find it not overpowering but there at the same time. Sprayed it on my wool peacoat and for the next couple days it was still there. Well worth the bucks for something that is this nice and last long. Awesome!

24 February, 2006

The_Giraffe's avatar

My sig scent for clubbing. I've worn it other times, and sorta felt like an asshole to be honest. If you wanna leave the club with a girl, this is the best choice. My first few times wearing this I was really embarassed because in someways it is a completely ridiculous scent, but a few girls later I'm totatally comfortable wearing it out. Like I said, you will feel stupid wearing this in a less vibrant atmosphere than a club because it is just so strong and sweet. The sillage is incredible. If you do full sprays close to your body, people will hate you.

24 February, 2006

Choco's avatar

Amazing! The first time I tried Amen, I totally forgot all other scents of mine. Stronge, unique, high energy, dark and manly...

18 February, 2006

scenteur7's avatar

Unlike anything else I've experienced, the coffee and chocolate notes paired with the musk and patchouli make this one pretty darn close to a holy grail scent. With incredible sillage and lasting power, a staple in my collection.

14 January, 2006

There’s little doubt that this is one of the most important men’s fragrances of recent times. The chocolate note in A*men brought sweet gourmand into the masculine mainstream, and the coffee note and the creamy lavender in the top of A*Men’s pyramid were touches of brilliance. The caramel note didn’t hurt, either. These notes are done well with a natural feel to them. A*Men is a true gourmand and for the first time, a masculine gourmand fragrance became successful -- the public went for it big time. But the gourmand elements weren’t the only strong points. The middle and the base levels of A*men are as good as or better than the top gourmand accords. The middle level comes through as woody – patchouli and cedar – with very pleasant masculine accords, good sillage,, and very good longevity. The base is inspired; it’s one of the best bases of all the fragrances of recent years IMHO: it's warm, sweet, rich, in its partial gourmandness… coffee, tonka, musk, and styrax… good refinement, very good projection, excellent longevity. I suspect that many of the young wearers of A*men were likely experiencing something they hadn’t experienced before: a well made fragrance that the ladies loved and that stayed great smelling for hours. Its gourmandness doesn’t offer the kind of accords that I like to wear, but A*men is finely made, creative, and interesting. (Edit of the 10 January 2006 review. Changed from neutral.)

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

iMaverick's avatar

Never liked this one when it first came out, and all this curiosity I had of how different the concept was to create this scent. I remember reading that they plugged into the computer words like "fun" and other words, and the computer would put out words that were associated by it. Cotton candy was one of them, and so this frag was born. It has a strong, sweet presence, and can easily be put off by some. I don't particularly enjoy this tar/patchouli combination in the scent, but once it mellows, it becomes this gentle synthetic vanillic frag that is rather fun, yet sexy.

25 December, 2005

blah114's avatar

I am not sure if this stinks.. or I love it. But it's very original and you WILL stand out when wearing it. The smell is not objectionable at all. It's simply strong and smells like mocha.. I have to say it's the most original scent I've smelled and I think women seem to love it. I noticed on the bottle the product is manufactured "for Thierry Mugler.." I wonder what mass-market company REALLY makes this stuff... I bet I would be disappointed to find out. I do recommend this, but it's most certainly a smell before you buy.. actually, you need to wear it for a few days before you buy.

22 December, 2005

Lightninrod's avatar

I am new to this fragrance 'thing' and this is only my second review but I have to add my .02 worth about A*Man.

I am captivated by it and this is just the first day I've worn it! I bought it blind knowing it is one of if not the most controversial frag out there and I am so glad I did. I can't explain it nor can I identify the notes except for the vanilla and the chocolate but it's mesmerizing to me.

Some say it's too sweet or smells like vomit but it's like a first love to me so thanks to y'all that praised it and helped me to decide to order it!

Dan

15 December, 2005

Scottyboy's avatar

I doubt anyone could be neutral about this scent. Incredibly strong, unique, and unbeliveably sweet. Smells like a mix of brownies and candy canes with an oriental base.

12 November, 2005

teflondog's avatar

I like this one very much. The secret to this scent lies in the sillage. Smelling it directly on the point of application will yield unsavory results. In the air it smells like bittersweet chocolate with a touch of coffee. When you smell it directly on your skin, it smells like earthy patchouli kind of like Demeter Dirt. Although it does trigger mixed reactions, it still remains my gourmand of choice.

11th November, 2005

incedal's avatar

I have had a change of heart with this fragrance, my previous experience were with people who showerd in it which people should not be doing with this, but when used lightly, about 4 sprays max it can be pleasent.

11th November, 2005 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2005)

madgradrx's avatar

A synthetic chocolate powerhouse that young women go nuts for especially in nightclubs. Starts off sweet like syrup mixed with cotton candy then dries down to a chocolate candy bar type smell. Excellent sillage and longevity however it's a bit 'brash'. For a more mature smell try Rochas Man, or the ultimate New Haarlem

07 November, 2005

mountain's avatar

I had once tried A*Men many years ago and I could not stand it. Few weeks ago, I gave it another shot. I did not like it the first time, but you have to be a little patient and persistent, and then it grows on you. As mentioned by other members, you have to try it a couple of times to see if you have the palate (yes, I mean the sense of taste!!) for it. My recommendation: try it atleast three different days, and if you start enjoying A*Men spend few days to get the right quantity to spray on (it will vary for each person's).
    A*Men is a very complex fragrance and it is for people who exude confidence. A difinite hit with the ladies and you will get constant compliments from them.

23 October, 2005

karramba's avatar

Absolutely astonishing. It smells like a candy shop - in a good way :) Though, it should be never judged right after application. It is simply too strong. Spray it once, wait at least an hour, and only then decide whether you like it or not. Yes, it's a little bit feminine so not everybody will like, but it is definitely worth giving it a try. Especially that the price is quite affordable. Thumbs up!

21st October, 2005

ilnaso's avatar

Incredible amazing and energetic! This true masterpiece is one of my standards. I may try new colognes but I will ALWAYS come back to A Men again and again! It is disapointing to read the many negative users because this sophisticated fragrance is something I love so much I want everyone to love it!

11th October, 2005

Chinky's avatar

When I first encountered Thierry Mugler fragrances I was a bit turned off. It's a complex scent and at first it smells a bit heavy, but the notes soften with your chemistry. The coffee and patchouli make the fragrance sexy, yet the lavender and mint is soothing and the caramel and chocolate are comforting and warming. I get nothing but compliments anytime I wear this fragrance, and yes I've been told that it smells like sex. Not a bad thing if I say so myself ;) This is one of my "holy trinity" of fragrances.

05 October, 2005

20scents's avatar

At first, I'd disliked A*Men. But over time, after experiencing several scents with edible notes (e.g. Rochas Man, Hanae Mori, etc.), I found this scent to be very potent and memorable. Powdery, chocolatey, deeply packed with incense, and long-lasting. It is an acquired-taste fragrance for sure. I would highly recommend getting the portable dispenser with the gazillion refill tubes...a great way to recharge the scent without bulging your pockets. :)

05 October, 2005

chris2005's avatar

Took a while to get used to it, but A Men really is something special! Just chocolate, chocolate, chocolate is all I smell, but it's taseful, if yet a bit playful. The younger guys get a kick out of this, but the older ones can appreciate it as well. I can understand if a few people hate it, but I guess they must have had a bad experience with someone who had 20 sprays too many. Keep it light guys!

01st October, 2005