Reviews of Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

The hesperidic citrus with an aquatic bent discloses this as a summer scent, with a jasmine drydown leading into a fruity phase. It becomes more aquatic with time, with the most notable addition in the base being a rather generic cedarwood note. Nice, refreshing, but in the later phases very generic. Poor longevity of less than two hours on my skin.

13 March, 2014

Ersjr6983's avatar
    Ersjr6983

This is a nice citrusy clean scent that eventually dries down to a calm woody fragrance. It is highly overused by the teenage crowd which is a bit of a turnoff but I have never heard anyone say that they don't like the smell. My wife lives it so I will probably always own a bottle but definitely not a "stand out" fragrance in my own personal opinion.

24 February, 2014

rafa04's avatar
    rafa04

one of my most favorite fragrances next to le male. smells great and it gives you great sillage and longevity. i use this one for spring and summer. i usually apply 3-4 sprays. 1 on the chest, 1 on the neck, and 1 on the back of the neck and you're good to go. this will get you compliments and even though it is overused and overpriced you at least need to own this once in your life.

28 January, 2014

neilk83's avatar
    neilk83

Certainly a great fragrance to have in your collection. I got this and find it perfect to wear iin Summer weather since is aquatic. To me, i can only wear aquatic type of scents in the summer time and find this one very pleasing. For me this is a day time scent. I would wear something different at night. Giorgio Armani did well with this fragrance and it is definately a classic!

09 December, 2013

Kol's avatar
    Kol

got this as a present used it once & sold it on ebay generic rubbish. How this is popular is beyond me

01st December, 2013

Raynor21's avatar
    Raynor21

AdG is a staple that almost seems like it's required to own for everyone. It's popularity stems from it's unoffensive and safe aroma, I've never met anyone who truly didn't like it (bored of it, maybe) and it's actually a top notch fragrance. It's aquatic without being too aquatic and it can be worn with anything for any occasion in any season. It's that versatility that makes it such a staple.

AdG is one of scents that I will never be without. If my bottle finishes, I'll go that day to pick another one up. It's not my favorite (nowhere near, in fact) but I don't foresee it ever falling out of favor with the masses.

It's popular for a reason, and it's not all hype. Buy a bottle and you'll see.

29 November, 2013

SnapDemon's avatar
    SnapDemon

Amazing Scent

An amazing smell. Very versatile, but unfortunately poor longevity.

Pros:
    Cons: Poor Projection, Poor Longevity"

02 August, 2013

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

Timeless stunner!

I just recently purchased a new bottle of Acqua Di Gio after having not worn it since the late 90's. Upon first spray I immediately recognized the smell and am glad to say that it smells exactly as I remembered. This has got the wow factor that many of the newer fragrances lack. There are a lot of fragrances that have come along that have tried to improve on AdG, but despite that this still outsells them and is still a big seller for Armani. The smell is going to be very familiar to most people which is a good thing. Can be worn in pretty much any situation and would be hard to offend unless they just didn't care for fragrance period. Acqua Di Gio is the ultimate "Go to" fragrance and the best aquatic ever.

Pros: Smells incredible.
    Cons: Extremely popular."

31st July, 2013

stefly321's avatar
    stefly321

review by stefly321

A great summer fragrance. By saying that, i mean it needs heat to bring out the magic of this juice. If i wear this in cooler weather nothing much happens, but go clubbing on a hot summer night and this stuff comes alive in a very positive way! So save it for those hot summer days and nights. Don't waste it on the colder months.

Pros: Great smell
    Cons: Only lasts about 4 hrs until it starts to fade."

26 July, 2013

thines01's avatar
    thines01

I can wear this year round -- day or night.
    It's a great (generic) scent that shouldn't offend most.
    It has a strong, citrus and cedar aroma that stays throughout.
    The fragrance fades after a few hours, but that's OK if you want to change later.
    I believe it is expensive mainly because of its popularity.

It's the kind of fragrance you "throw on" when you can't make up your mind of what to wear, but just want to wear "something".

11th May, 2013

TheNotoriousMAZ's avatar
    TheNotoriousMAZ

Yes, this scent is incredibly popular. But it is for good reason, it just smells really good. The ultra hipster mentality of some of the reviewers on this site is ridiculous by hating anything that someone else may be wearing other than yourself.

With that said, I normally stay away from this one because a woman once told me that I "smell like her ex-boyfriend", and I'm sure that's the case with this one a lot. I still will throw it on if I'm just going to lounging around the house after work and want to smell fresh.

If you are on a budget or have no plans of making Acqua di Gio your signature scent, I highly recommend picking up Perry Ellis 360 Red instead. It's a tad spicier than ADG, but I actually prefer that when it's essentially the same exact scent otherwise. I most likely won't replace my bottle of ADG when it's gone, and just stick with the Perry Ellis for what I use it for.

23 April, 2013

Dark Uncle's avatar
    Dark Uncle

One of Armani's better moments within a mediocre output. Ladies are always complimentary if I'm in a bland-I'll wear this to work mood. Not too sure what the attraction is bar the lively marine freshness.

04 April, 2013

SevenDays's avatar
    SevenDays

On a bright summer day, you're walking on the beach with your woman. Holding each other's hand, the two of you stroll leisurely by the water's edge. The little waves splash against your feet, very gently though, not enough to wet your rolled-up jeans. Then a light sea breeze cools your faces, leaving the two of you very relaxed and refreshed at the same time.

30th March, 2013

JoshPeters's avatar
    JoshPeters

I agree with izzie, to me this is not your typical aquatic frag. It reminds me of Issey miyake in a lot of ways.

The opening is VERY strong and citrusy, I get a lemon zest vibe on the opening and I don't particularly enjoy the scent until the drydown when the patchouli comes in.

Overall I enjoyed a 3.4oz bottle in my late teens but I wouldn't buy another bottle unless it was on some mega sale. Not a bad scent but I wouldn't wear it over Issey miyake

20th January, 2013

K.O.D.'s avatar
    K.O.D.

Good summer scent. Decent longevity, projection fair. A good one, but not necessarily the "standard" IMO. Its very light.

14 January, 2013

Mattybono's avatar
    Mattybono

This is a true legend of a fragrance that is the benchmark for what all fresh-aquatic scents aspire to be yet there is still no substitute for Acqua Di Gio! It is simply AWESOME! Suitable for any age (teens to seniors), longevity is well over 6 hours, and projects very handsomely with many compliments.

I have worn ADG since the late 90's and I don't care or mind how popular it has become.....it's popular for a reason: it smells amazing, it is versatile as hell, and is pure quality in a bottle! The greatest Armani frag by far, ADG will always be in my collection!
    (10 out of 10)

11th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2013)

Izzie's avatar
    Izzie

The one and only downside to this fragrance is its popularity.

To me, AdG doesn't really smell aquatic. When I think aquatic I think Bvlgari Aqva or Versace Eau Fraiche. AdG reminds me more of a fresh salty seaside breeze than anything.

Many aquatics don't really blend well with the skin. AdG however, has this lovely slightly salty skin-like muskiness to it that makes it one of the more sensual and inviting aquatics I think I've ever smelled.

Most people are going to like this fragrance, it's popular for a reason, you can't go wrong with it. For an aquatic/fresh fragrance, it has decent longevity and projection.

If you don't care that when you walk down the street, 10 other guys will be wearing the same fragrance as you, then AdG is a safe bet.

10th December, 2012

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

I never noticed up until this moment that I've never written a review for this classic. Overused by the masses on each continent and yet able to remain special and charismatic. Sure, here in Zagreb you'll feel it a lot, Acqua and Le Male too, which is interesting. Why, you'll ask? Well, Acqua di Gio is constantly pushed, incredible as it may seem but almost every tram station in Zagreb had a big poster of it recently. There are 4 commonly pushed fragrances in all perfumeries in Croatia, and these have the biggest shells and are best stocked - Hugo by Hugo Boss (1995), Acqua di Gio for men, JPG Le Male and Davidoff Cool Water. Of all mentioned AdG and Le Male are the most buyed/felt around. The rest are just there in large amounts and nobody uses them, apparently, especially Cool Water.

Now, AdG itself is one of the first frags of that kind. Later on many tried to be like it and the only one that managed to, well sort of be like it, is Bvlgari Aqua for men. AdG is more fruity and daily type of frag whilst Bvlgari Aqua is much more spicy, deeper, bit darker. I just had the need to compare the two as in my opinion they fall into the same style category. AdG is even today a classic head turner (in my case it's Davidoff Cool Water - women just love it on me and they love it on me the most of all frags) despite the fact being overworn, however it never got me. And here's that Bvlgari Aqua story. Bvlgari Aqua got me first, that is, before AdG. After a year or so when I tried AdG it was just some nice juice and that's it. AdG EDP aka ACQUA DI GIÒ ESSENZA on the other hand, now that's another story.

21st November, 2012

timdoeswell's avatar
    timdoeswell

This is the quintessential citrus/aquatic fragrance. Released in 1996, it has to be one of the few mens' designer fragrances to maintain huge sales numbers without drastically reducing its price (I'm looking at you, Cool Water).

The range of citric notes, combined with the freshness of aquatic notes and a floral accord makes this fragrance perfectly suitable for all occasions. It lasts reasonably well for a fragrance with such a prominent citrus scent, and this is attributable to its basenotes of woods, patchouli and musk (which are included lightly so as not to overpower the lighter tone of the fragrance).

This has got to be one of the most popular fragrances of all time, and to me, this works against it. I'd rather not smell like everybody else.

However, this is one of those rare times that a fragrance that EVERYONE is wearing is actually quite good.

16 November, 2012

's avatar

When Acqua di Gio was released, it was very innovative. Today, however, it's been copied by a lot of designers. Anyway, it's still a great summer fragrance, but seems it has been watered down lately: the lasting power has always been weak, but it's been weaker lately.

26 October, 2012

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Don't like this one. I see there are a lot of good reviews, but this one does nothing for me. It's loud without saying nothing. Try Fujiyama, it smells similar but not as cloying.

11th October, 2012

KSG's avatar
    KSG

Lol first smelled this in Debenhams at first i found the opening a bit strong but after the initial spray it settles down to an amazing scent perfect for clubbing even though it's old i don't smell this one around much on friends, family or in clubs. One of the very best aquatics in my opinion!

01st September, 2012

muskydusky's avatar
    muskydusky

Aquatic, citrusy woodsy. Basically the epitome of citrusy aquatic. VERY 90s, almost like a time machine in a bottle. Aqua smells like a superior, much less synthetic version of Calvin Klein's Escape for men. I always received compliments when I wore that, and this smells better, so thumbs up.

27 July, 2012

BLAQ's avatar
    BLAQ

3.4 oz. Bought years ago in middle school.

I only had a chance to wear Acqua di Gio a few times back in middle school and occasionally in high school because everyone and their fathers told me how great it was.

Really it does smell nice. Like clean flowers, but it just doesn't mix with my skin well at all. I test sprayed it on a strip of paper at the duty-free and it smelled gorgeous so I went ahead and bought a bottle. Who would have thought that it would give me headaches later.

Still, I don't mind spraying it on notebooks or whatever because as long as it's not on my skin or body it smells fine. However, once it does touch my skin it just gives me a nauseating headache.

02 July, 2012

Smellitivity's avatar
    Smellitivity

After the marine and citrus opening, when AdG settles down it offers a perfect balance of sea water, herbs and citrus notes.
    It's probably too old and too popular to be someone's signature perfume, but an occasional spray should always be welcome.

27 June, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

most people like this fragrance, as seen by reviews. It is recognizable, and crisp. The down side is the longevity. If you reapply it during the day, it is fine.

10th June, 2012

FLCounselor's avatar
    FLCounselor

I tried so hard to like this one. But ultimately, there's no there there...

10th June, 2012

timmy-j's avatar
    timmy-j

Absolutely fabulous scent, but I need to keep reapplying it all day if I want to continue smelling it. No longevity on my skin.Love the scent though. Most all of the negative reviews on this cologne are not related to how it smells but how popular it is.

25 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 September, 2012)

Shpati's avatar
    Shpati

I just bought Acqua di Giò. I have made myself a decent fragrance collection. Having a fragrance collection without Acqua Di Gio did not feel right. I felt that I had to buy this because of its high popularity, kind of like Cool Water by Davidoff. Like always, I never rate a fragrance by its popularity.

I have smelled Acqua di Giò for years. There is a reason why it is so popular. Of course, the reason is because it smells good. I have not met anyone that did not enjoy this scent. It is not offensive to any nose. I think the plain and simple design of the bottle resembles that.

For me, the top notes smell crisp and woodsy with good projection. After the top notes, the project drastically falls. The middle notes smells like a sweet exotic fruit. Then, it finishes off with the base notes, which is very woodsy to my nose. Overall, the fragrance is very relaxing and simple.

The longevity is not so great on my skin. About one hour with good projection and about two more offers of good smell. After that, I cannot really smell it anymore.

However, one another reason why I think this fragrance is so popular is how your skin absorbs it. Even though after the four hours of longevity, I cannot smell it; once I start doing something more physical demanding and start to sweet, the scent unleashes once again with all of its notes. It only last for about hour, which makes the sent have about 4-5 hours of longevity on me. I only have a few fragrances that can do that.

I have it a neutral rating because of its longevity. With the money this fragrance cost, you should be getting better projection.

The bottle design is nice and simple. I think it is a must for any fragrance collection. No fragrance collection looks right without it.

09 May, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar
    gimmegreen
    Netherlands Netherlands

I was one of zillions who 'discovered' this when it first came out – and who bathed in its mild and breezy magic, not realizing how strong this stuff actually is. I understand perfectly why this is such a bestseller – it has everything one yearns for in summer – freshness (but without a citrus blast), coolness and a feeling that one can relax and be invigorated. The masterstroke had to be the realization of a perfectly abstract and watery melon note (since overdone in calone bombs) – summer seduction without the calories.
    I haven't gone back to it as everyone and their whole neighbourhood wears it, but that's not to deny its absolute landmark position in the admittedly sorry club of modern 'masculines'.

03 May, 2012