Reviews of Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Legendary, worn by so many all over the world for decades now and STILL sported by countless others today. I give credit where it is due for AdGpH original: It stands as a dependable marine-citrus-floral men's cologne that may not be for everyone, but remains available everywhere for a new generation of wearers to explore.

AdG has a wonderful tanginess and salty touch. It shimmers and fills the immediate area with its brightness, requiring a measured, restrained level of application. Floral elements of jasmine, rosemary, and patchouli blend seamlessly, touched by the juicy sweetness of persimmon and held on a beautiful masculine foundation of musk and labdanum (rock rose).

The Profumo version, IMO, does a great job of turbo-charging the original without becoming an offensive beast scent. The Absolu version, though, seems to want to be a "me too" scent echoing Armani's Stronger With You versus the original AdG.

Great go to scent that should be given a sample spray especially because of how relevant and remarkable AdG still is considered to be by many, many wearers.
05th August, 2018
I'll start my first review off with this classic. Acqua di Giò.
This is the cologne your older brother told you about in highschool. I've been wearing this fragrance for over 10 years. This has been my "go to" for ever. I even met my wife in this.

Lately I have become noseblind to it. I'm not sure if this is due to the reformulating or not but it almost feels as if I can't even smell it anymore. I chose this frag as my work scent. I recently had to stop because I was spraying up to 6 to 8 sprays and only got a slight hint of jasmine. I thought maybe the bottle went bad. So I went to a department store and to my surprise it was just the scent itself.. Such a shame what happened to this fragrance. This fragrance attributed greatly to the first kiss from my wife. For that I owe this frag.

Occasion: Skipping class and going to the beach with your friend's on a hot summer day while The Smashing Pumpkins "1979" blast on the car radio.

Projection: 4
Longevity: 5
Versatility:8
Overall: 6/10
07th May, 2018
I don't get how this is as popular as it is. Has to be people buying it onsale. I mean its ok just nothing special... here's my experience.... after reading all the ++ reviews and it being touted as the best selling cologne for men, I thought can't go wrong. I bought a bottle online and when I received it, I put it on and thought hmmmm kinda soft and femme to my nose. I thought maybe i got a bad bottle or someone watered it down or someone bought a dollar store knockoff and put it in an original bottle...something cause all the reviews and sales it has to better then this. So i bought a new bottle from my local perfumery and nope was the same. Now I admit i'm no expert but i know what i like and what i don't. I know this sounds negative but its not. Its an ok frag if you wanna smell kinda soapy and soft for about an hour then nothing. I just may be too old for this(30's here). Maybe its a perfect cologne for the younger "millenial" generation with their more emotional ways...but I just don't get it....I use it more as an after shower spray around the house thats it for me. I do like other aquatic softer smelling frags a lot this one just smeels to femme too soft and doesn't seem to last more then an hour or so on me..
07th March, 2018

aquatic, sea notes, lots of citrus with lime predominant. Other than that it is very basic and smells pretty much the same the whole time, but that may not be a bad thing as it smells very nice to me. It has FANTASTIC longevity and sillage; perfect "workplace" scent as it lasts well over 10 hours; I've gotten more compliments for this scent than any other.
04th March, 2018
I guess I don't understand all of the hate behind this. Or maybe I was never exposed to what angers so many people about this fragrance. But going on scent alone, it's a super fresh, clean, citrusy, and super soft woody aquatic, and smells amazing as long as it's not overdone.

Girls want their man to smell simple, fresh and let the man himself be confident, not some guy willing to let his fragrance do all the talking for him.
16th February, 2018
Acqua di Gio smells like dish soap and the opening is even worse. A big headache trigger to me with its intense citrusy smell. Nothing special, I don't get what makes this fragrance so popular.
08th February, 2018
Seems to be reformulated and not as long lasting. I bought and wore this in 1998 and it was THE compliment getter. I'm a fan of aquatics and this one reminded me of magnolia bloom for some reason. Citrus, floral, yet sweet and mature. If I had an old bottle I'd wear it in weekly rotation.
08th April, 2017
Comes on aquatic, calone mutters in background, beats a hasty retreat. A Secret Santa gift for someone you like a little.
07th February, 2017
Great crowd-pleaser that you have smelled before on others, but is still pleasant to wear and can get compliments because it is so fresh and clean. On my skin, this lasts all workday, 8 hours and projects nicely during that time.
06th February, 2017
What a gorgeous fragrance this is, after all my forays into niche I can't say this wows me anymore but it does continue to please me.
20th January, 2017
Overall, this is a classic scent that you would expect to smell on a man at an office or bank. It won't offend anyone, and some people seem to love if.
It does smell fresh and aquatic, so if that's what you like, this might be a good choice. But try it first. I learned I don't like "aquatic scents," at least this one. Acqua di Gio smells a little rotten to me.
12th December, 2016
This is the scent everyone else tries to be (or tries to pretend not to). I work in a hotel and this is the "morning scent" most popular with professional men. No matter how common it has become, one cannot deny it is the best there is.
29th August, 2016
Overall this frag is ok. It is a little overpowering in the beginning- when you first spray it. But within 45 minutes it dies down and becomes an aquatic, slightly musky frag. The projection is still there (within arms length). The dry down is the same scent as the first blast just tamer and more subdued.

Due to most people wearing this frag or know what it smells like... Not recommended for a date! You don't want to smell like someone that reminds her of "bad memories". (As c0ssix has said as well).

When I first smell this frag it reminded me of a combination of Allure Homme Sport and Davidoff Cool Water. Basically Allure Homme Sport but more fresh, green, and aquatic.

I would wear this for slightly warm summer days (70-80 degrees F). Or when you want to blend into a crowd and not have too much attention drawn to yourself.

Overall: 8/10
Longevity: 8/10
Sillage: 7/10
07th August, 2016

Maybe not the most unique or groundbreaking scent but it just works! A fragrance that wears well and delivers every time. It surrounds you with a charming aura that will appeal to everyone. The citrus and the florals work beautifully together along with the woods that provide some depth and the musk that adds a finishing touch.

Smell: Addictive (10/10)
Longevity: Average (7/10)
Projection: Good (8/10)
09th July, 2016
A quality citrus scent with some interesting notes that add some depth from the top to the middle notes. This is one of the best summer scents around for sure. Nice classic dry down which is when it becomes a skin scent on me. I do like this one a lot... Enjoy!
07th June, 2016
Acqua di Gio is legendary and still great 20 years later. Wonderful citrus, aquatic, spicy, musk smell that is well done by perfumer Alberto Morillas. While it's too mainstream for me, it's a best seller for a reason. Unfortunately the performance is very average.
06th June, 2016
What can I say that hasn't been said already in over 300 reviews? Not much... But , have to throw in my two cents worth...i do think its a benchmark masterpiece fragrance destined to be called a classic in years to come...like some others have described, I would go with this being an aquatic take on a classic eau de cologne citrus fragrance...i get a lemony citrus slightly flowery Italian type outdoor beachy smell that ends with a woody flavor...fresh and rereshing... great for all ages. and occasions...only downside to me would be lack of silage and longevity...
Classic Citrus eau de Cologne Aquatic
08th April, 2016
This is a terrible fragrance and I have no idea what the mass appeal is. Women seem to love it and men definitely seem to wear it LOUD! It stinks! It smells of septic rot. The wafting of this is so offensive and thick, with its cutting treble to the nose. It mixes poorly with the skin. It is too available and needs to be banned from the market. This is not some phobia about a bad relationship or a jealous encounter. This is based strictly off of my nose and common sense. This smells of fecal matter sprayed with obnoxious sickly sweet and lemony cologne. Bad body odor from someone who sleeps in their socks and doesn't brush before bed after eating garlic and chicken cutlet. It's vomitous. Avoid! Please!
23rd March, 2016
I wanted to hate it and honestly, I used to hate it for a few reasons. Besides it being way too popular and the only scent smelled in the workplace, people apply entirely too much, making it even more offensive. Putting that aside, I did purchase a 0.3 oz bottle at Sephora to add to my fragrance collection.

When I wear this one, I have no idea what notes I'm smelling. All I know that I'm smelling is something with marine notes. Other people may be able to pick out individual notes, but I can't with this one. It lasts an unbelievably long time and projects more than anything else I can think of. I think that is where most people who use this go wrong - by spraying more than two small/medium sprays.

Now, putting aside my snobbiness of hating 'department store' scents, this isn't bad. It's definitely not magical or mind-blowing, but is a quality scent available at reasonable prices. Acqua di Gio will gather more compliments than normal, too.
17th March, 2016 (last edited: 25th May, 2016)
This was my first cologne, and it's surely to be my last. The sweet, musky smell lasts a lot longer than it should. There's a reason this is one of the best colognes ever to be made. I barely smell patchouli, though.
21st February, 2016
When I smell Acqua di Giò, I think of a hot Italian model climbing out of the ocean onto a beautiful white sand beach. Oh, wait a minute, that's an ad. But it's a mark of their advertising that it's pretty hard to separate the idea of this cologne from the way it's been marketed. I'd almost say that this is a generic scent, but perhaps it was the one that started it all: a quick hit of sweetness but mostly marine, salt, mineral. I find it quite appealing. Doesn't seem to last long on my skin though.
04th February, 2016
On me, this smells of sour bitter lemon pledge. I don't get much of a marine note and it is not that fresh. Yet I smell it on others and it smells fresh and clean. I give a neutral rating because it might just be my body chemistry.
02nd December, 2015
Got this from a girlfriend in high school and will always consider it a cool classic. Great for summertime, leaves a fresh strong aquatic smell. You do not have to wear to much of this stuff so be generous with it, it is easy to spill too much on and when that happens the scent will overwhelm you. So use with caution.
07th October, 2015
i have to be honest, at first i tough " ok another citric fragrance". it smelled good, but to me was just another "summer" fragrance , and gave it to my father.

after trying different kinds fragrances, and began to understand more and more about them, i went back to "Acqua Di Gio" and gave it a second chance. and then i realise how little i knew about fragrance back then......... i was blown away of how this thing actualy smelled. is a very uplifting, freshy, and masculine citrus/acquatic fragrance, and not to mention it smelled fantastic and my female friends loved it!

there are many fresh scents out there, but "Acqua Di Gio" is definitely the best!!

i know, i know is really popular and everyone use or used it, but at the end of the day, a good fragrance is a good fragrance, an man this is for sure one of the best out there....i mean is top seller for a reason ;)

13th September, 2015
After reading so many reviews on AdG, and after my own long experience with this master creation, here's a version I'd like to present. AdG is a wonderful aquatic fragrance of 90's with a cool, masculine aroma. Best meant for everyday use in office, it's clean and creates a soothing air. It is a CLASSIC and is meant to stay around for some more decades.
07th September, 2015
C'mon, everyone has got to love it. I went to middle school/high school in the early 2000's and the guys used to absolutely drench themselves in this stuff. I do not find it to be very mature, so would not recommend for an older gentleman. It is very aquatic and somewhat fruity with a nice touch of cedar. Reminds me of the summertime. In have actually never owned a bottle and I do not really plan to, but I could point it out from a mile away. Recommended for ages 15-25. 8/10 for me.
03rd September, 2015
mavmanc Show all reviews
This is quite unsophisticated stuff, but it does a good job

That job is making summer feel a fraction more summery. Only a fraction mind, but any incremental step towards hot days and cooling scent joy is worth a trip.

I can't ever remember being complimented on it and I feel as if it's a precursor to better cooling scents. Like it's trying to take my virginity but I'm okay with just flirting for now.

Try it. If you like it prepare to move on and thank it for starting you on a path.

Or just where it for the office on hot days for as long as you like.
28th July, 2015
I give AdG a thumbs up, although I no longer own a bottle or see an occasion where I might wear this. My positive review is based on two things: first that this was an original in its genre, and second because of how well-blended it is. It's a nearly perfect aquatic. Hats off to Mr. Armani.

There are those who will decry it as too commonplace and overused, and that because it's so popular it can't possibly be good. If that were the case we'd have to also include Pop Tarts, Heinz Ketchup, Irish Spring, and Bud Light--each of which have a loyal following of millions and which all have their strengths.

As it is, with everyone bent on wearing AdG, I figure there's that much more room for lovers of powerhouse fougeres and leathers like myself (e.g. Aramis, Polo, Azzaro PH, and Quorum), to make an impression. Vive la différence, mes amis!
18th July, 2015
This would always get me a compliment back in the 90's, from my hairdresser in particular who adored the scent ..this was all in its first year when it captivated millions and got everyone excited..the Italian citrus summer, with a melon cuddle and sea salt bite... fast forward 18 years, tried this again in a department store and smiled..ahh memories ..I gave a good spray and then found my girlfriend in the store ..smell this I said, hoping to get her senses rocking and her intrigue..smells "alright" she said lol. The first initial two hours are very thought provoking.. beaches, plant life and fruit stalls..all things Mediterranean with good silage and projection ..a further 2 hours on my skin are faint but still pleasant. It's like a good performing cologne or a bad performing edt which ever way you want to look at it. In any case it's an absolutely fantastic holiday scent, it hasn't aged either.
19th June, 2015 (last edited: 25th July, 2017)
It smells fresh and aquatic, it's a straight up no mystery cologne, like "Oh, hey, I smell pretty good.. what's up...hello?" This fragrance does have a nice scent to it with some distinctive masculine scent but it just doesn't project enough.

It tones down to bare arm reach so quick, I guess this is if you want to get all up close and personal but want to have clean morning sex at the same time.

Inoffensive, a crowd-pleaser, I would say generic but it has just like two notes that make it standout, projection is medium, longetivity is good, laid back. Good but pass for me.
30th April, 2015