Reviews of Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Maybe not the most unique or groundbreaking scent but it just works! A fragrance that wears well and delivers every time. It surrounds you with a charming aura that will appeal to everyone. The citrus and the florals work beautifully together along with the woods that provide some depth and the musk that adds a finishing touch.

Smell: Addictive (10/10)
Longevity: Average (7/10)
Projection: Good (8/10)
09th July, 2016
A quality citrus scent with some interesting notes that add some depth from the top to the middle notes. This is one of the best summer scents around for sure. Nice classic dry down which is when it becomes a skin scent on me. I do like this one a lot... Enjoy!
07th June, 2016
Acqua di Gio is legendary and still great 20 years later. Wonderful citrus, aquatic, spicy, musk smell that is well done by perfumer Alberto Morillas. While it's too mainstream for me, it's a best seller for a reason. Unfortunately the performance is very average.
06th June, 2016

What can I say that hasn't been said already in over 300 reviews? Not much... But , have to throw in my two cents worth...i do think its a benchmark masterpiece fragrance destined to be called a classic in years to come...like some others have described, I would go with this being an aquatic take on a classic eau de cologne citrus fragrance...i get a lemony citrus slightly flowery Italian type outdoor beachy smell that ends with a woody flavor...fresh and rereshing... great for all ages. and occasions...only downside to me would be lack of silage and longevity...
Classic Citrus eau de Cologne Aquatic
08th April, 2016
This is a terrible fragrance and I have no idea what the mass appeal is. Women seem to love it and men definitely seem to wear it LOUD! It stinks! It smells of septic rot. The wafting of this is so offensive and thick, with its cutting treble to the nose. It mixes poorly with the skin. It is too available and needs to be banned from the market. This is not some phobia about a bad relationship or a jealous encounter. This is based strictly off of my nose and common sense. This smells of fecal matter sprayed with obnoxious sickly sweet and lemony cologne. Bad body odor from someone who sleeps in their socks and doesn't brush before bed after eating garlic and chicken cutlet. It's vomitous. Avoid! Please!
23rd March, 2016
I wanted to hate it and honestly, I used to hate it for a few reasons. Besides it being way too popular and the only scent smelled in the workplace, people apply entirely too much, making it even more offensive. Putting that aside, I did purchase a 0.3 oz bottle at Sephora to add to my fragrance collection.

When I wear this one, I have no idea what notes I'm smelling. All I know that I'm smelling is something with marine notes. Other people may be able to pick out individual notes, but I can't with this one. It lasts an unbelievably long time and projects more than anything else I can think of. I think that is where most people who use this go wrong - by spraying more than two small/medium sprays.

Now, putting aside my snobbiness of hating 'department store' scents, this isn't bad. It's definitely not magical or mind-blowing, but is a quality scent available at reasonable prices. Acqua di Gio will gather more compliments than normal, too.
17th March, 2016 (last edited: 25th May, 2016)
This was my first cologne, and it's surely to be my last. The sweet, musky smell lasts a lot longer than it should. There's a reason this is one of the best colognes ever to be made. I barely smell patchouli, though.
21st February, 2016
When I smell Acqua di Giò, I think of a hot Italian model climbing out of the ocean onto a beautiful white sand beach. Oh, wait a minute, that's an ad. But it's a mark of their advertising that it's pretty hard to separate the idea of this cologne from the way it's been marketed. I'd almost say that this is a generic scent, but perhaps it was the one that started it all: a quick hit of sweetness but mostly marine, salt, mineral. I find it quite appealing. Doesn't seem to last long on my skin though.
04th February, 2016
On me, this smells of sour bitter lemon pledge. I don't get much of a marine note and it is not that fresh. Yet I smell it on others and it smells fresh and clean. I give a neutral rating because it might just be my body chemistry.
02nd December, 2015
Got this from a girlfriend in high school and will always consider it a cool classic. Great for summertime, leaves a fresh strong aquatic smell. You do not have to wear to much of this stuff so be generous with it, it is easy to spill too much on and when that happens the scent will overwhelm you. So use with caution.
07th October, 2015
i have to be honest, at first i tough " ok another citric fragrance". it smelled good, but to me was just another "summer" fragrance , and gave it to my father.

after trying different kinds fragrances, and began to understand more and more about them, i went back to "Acqua Di Gio" and gave it a second chance. and then i realise how little i knew about fragrance back then......... i was blown away of how this thing actualy smelled. is a very uplifting, freshy, and masculine citrus/acquatic fragrance, and not to mention it smelled fantastic and my female friends loved it!

there are many fresh scents out there, but "Acqua Di Gio" is definitely the best!!

i know, i know is really popular and everyone use or used it, but at the end of the day, a good fragrance is a good fragrance, an man this is for sure one of the best out there....i mean is top seller for a reason ;)

13th September, 2015
After reading so many reviews on AdG, and after my own long experience with this master creation, here's a version I'd like to present. AdG is a wonderful aquatic fragrance of 90's with a cool, masculine aroma. Best meant for everyday use in office, it's clean and creates a soothing air. It is a CLASSIC and is meant to stay around for some more decades.
07th September, 2015
C'mon, everyone has got to love it. I went to middle school/high school in the early 2000's and the guys used to absolutely drench themselves in this stuff. I do not find it to be very mature, so would not recommend for an older gentleman. It is very aquatic and somewhat fruity with a nice touch of cedar. Reminds me of the summertime. In have actually never owned a bottle and I do not really plan to, but I could point it out from a mile away. Recommended for ages 15-25. 8/10 for me.
03rd September, 2015

mavmanc Show all reviews
This is quite unsophisticated stuff, but it does a good job

That job is making summer feel a fraction more summery. Only a fraction mind, but any incremental step towards hot days and cooling scent joy is worth a trip.

I can't ever remember being complimented on it and I feel as if it's a precursor to better cooling scents. Like it's trying to take my virginity but I'm okay with just flirting for now.

Try it. If you like it prepare to move on and thank it for starting you on a path.

Or just where it for the office on hot days for as long as you like.
28th July, 2015
I give AdG a thumbs up, although I no longer own a bottle or see an occasion where I might wear this. My positive review is based on two things: first that this was an original in its genre, and second because of how well-blended it is. It's a nearly perfect aquatic. Hats off to Mr. Armani.

There are those who will decry it as too commonplace and overused, and that because it's so popular it can't possibly be good. If that were the case we'd have to also include Pop Tarts, Heinz Ketchup, Irish Spring, and Bud Light--each of which have a loyal following of millions and which all have their strengths.

As it is, with everyone bent on wearing AdG, I figure there's that much more room for lovers of powerhouse fougeres and leathers like myself (e.g. Aramis, Polo, Azzaro PH, and Quorum), to make an impression. Vive la différence, mes amis!
18th July, 2015
This would always get me a compliment back in the 90's, from my hairdresser in particular who adored the scent ..this was all in its first year when it captivated millions and got everyone excited..the Italian citrus summer with a melon cuddle and sea salt bite... fast forward 18 years, tried this again in a department store and smiled ahh memories ..I gave a good spray and then found my girlfriend in the store ..smell this I said, hoping to get her senses rocking and her intrigue..smells "alright" she said
19th June, 2015
It smells fresh and aquatic, it's a straight up no mystery cologne, like "Oh, hey, I smell pretty good.. what's up...hello?" This fragrance does have a nice scent to it with some distinctive masculine scent but it just doesn't project enough.

It tones down to bare arm reach so quick, I guess this is if you want to get all up close and personal but want to have clean morning sex at the same time.

Inoffensive, a crowd-pleaser, I would say generic but it has just like two notes that make it standout, projection is medium, longetivity is good, laid back. Good but pass for me.
30th April, 2015

Nice Frag from the greatest designer Kingdom in the history of the world!

I bought this when it first came out in the mid 90's and got alot of compliments on it..........then everybody was wearing it and the uniqueness was out the window. It's like the line in that Eagles song "Call someplace paradise and you can kiss it goodbye". I picked up a small bottle again the other day because I hadn't had it for a while. I really missed the scent of citrus and melons and in my opinion that is where this Frag really scores.
30th December, 2014
Salutation.

Acqua di GIO is a WINNER.a MEMORABLE italian fragrance.a very PLEASANT everyday scent.it is so VERSATILE as many younger brand try to copy this master ADG scent in this years but they know ADG is a EVERLASTING fragrance.

This fragrance is not sharp,is not spicy it is LIGHT,it is bright,it is very NICE.one first spray the citrus notes are very dominant.it remindes me of cold drink in HOT summer days!

I have some many colognes but this one of the few actually people always compliments.Everywhere i go,i get asked what this cologne is?some friends even remember me everytime they smell this fragrance.

I recommend it,those looking for a GREAT EVERYDAY fragrance in HOT weather.it is definitely worth to buy if you like citrusy fragrances.its is truly all about what you expect from a cold fragrances.
...Ah i miss you but indubitable lovely GIO is in MEMORY,in my HEART for ever.

SILLAGE?Very Good.

LONGEVITY?Around 7 hours on my skin.for a Aromatic Aquatic,it is EXCELLENT.Bravo mr MORILLAS.

Thank You ARMANI.

8.5/10
16th December, 2014
Giorgio Armani is a very committed entrepreneur. Still nowadays, it is not unusual finding him somewhere around his shops, amd personally checking out the way stuff is presented and client served.
He belongs to those men who has really left a mark in the world, of fashion, elegance and style in this case.
Fragrances represented for his kingdom, a natural acquisition. And here he left his remark: by the very first Armani pour homme, a masterpiece even today, after almost 30 years.
Acqua di Gio ph is not an exception.
I personally met for the very first time in summer '99, and since then it has always been a stable presence within my collection.
Dressing him, help you to increase your pragmatic and joyful approach to things of life.
It is boosting up your energy, with that typical charme of gentleman with a care approach to life and people.
Technically i is one of the most impressive, and long lasting acquatic scent in the market: an innovation, for its time, combinimg a slightly fruit undertone with earthy amd mossy facets.
Highly reccomemded, for anyone interested in leaving a trace in the memory of others.
Be aware....this scent can help you, but being remebered, it is up to you, to your style, to what you do and the way you choose to do it.
Take care of you and have a womderful life.
22nd August, 2014
Modern classic. Everyone loves it for a reason. It sprays probably too much so it goes down fast. Also, it doesn't last as long as it used to. Perry Ellis Red is Di Gio, but better. Di Gio is still Di Gio though. Thumbs up.
03rd July, 2014
Tmoran Show all reviews
What the h#% happened to this fragrance? I used to love this stuff. Its always been synthetic. But I dont really care. I think people need to stop equating synthetic with bad. It simply isnt the case. A well done synthetic is preferable to a poorly done natural smell. Think about it. A fart is totally natural. About as natural as you can get. But I would still rather smell like ADG than that.

Perhaps that is being to kind to Acqua di Gio. At least what they are calling Acqua di Gio these days. I havent had this in my collection for a few years as i got caught up in other frags and sorta got bored with ADG. I wanted to revisit it and went to Ulta to try it out and decide what size to get. I really dont know when or what happened but ADG of 10 years ago is nothing what ADG is today. The smell comming from the tester was so generic and light I almost questioned its authenticity. I thought someone had to have walked in there with a fake and swapped it with a real tester.

Unfortunately it turns out ADG has been reformulated somewhere along it life. I have smelled numerous bottles and they all smell of the same generic lemon pledge type smell. Its a shame as the newer reformulation doesnt even have a passing resemblance to its predecessor. In all honesty the newer essenza version has more in common with true ADG than what they are trying to push on people today. Its insulting and just bad business. I really dont know what has been going on with armani lately. All I do know is they have become somewhat the laughing stock of the fragrance community and I think its well earned. Why would you take your best selling frag of all time and change it to the point that you cant even recognize it. I actually thought the popularity of this stuff died off as I stopped smelling it everywhere I went. Turns out I was wrong. I have been smelling it all along but I guess the sheep never noticed a recipe change. Thumbs down until they wake up and return this to its former sythetic bliss.
22nd June, 2014
Genre: Aquatic

It’s one of the best selling men’s fragrances on the market. It has 185(!) previous reviews here on Basenotes. Everybody knows Acqa di Gio, and everybody seems to have an opinion on it. Too ephemeral. Can’t scrub it off with turpentine. Weak. Outrageously potent. Too sweet. Too sour. Lively. Dull. Sophisticated. Gauche…and so it goes.

What does Acqua di Gio actually smell like? Why is it so overwhelmingly popular? Two questions, to which I propose a single answer. The name, which I’d loosely translate as “Eau de Joe,” gives a clue to Acqua di Gio’s actual composition. Disregard the loud and tenacious slug of Calone, smell Acqua di Gio carefully, and you’ll find it’s built on a tart lemon top note, followed by an accord of green jasmine and Mediterranean herbs over a light wood and clean musk foundation. In other words, it’s a very traditional eau de Cologne formula floating in a tub of melony-aquatic Calone. Therein lies the genius of Acqua di Gio, and the key to its broad appeal. The underlying structure is as conventional and comfortable as can be: a safe, recognizable formula tricked out in contemporary wrapping.

At least “contemporary” as of 1996. That Acqua di Gio feels so trite and tiresome today has less to do with its ubiquity or quality, I think, than with the ravages of time. Clouds of Calone are no less dated now than those “powerhouse” leathers and fougères that are so inextricably bound with the 1980s in the public imagination. The style is just SO twenty years ago!

Just as importantly, Acqua di Gio suffers from its defining Calone component having long since been commandeered by every soap, shampoo, and laundry detergent on the drugstore shelves. This leaves poor Acqua di Gio smelling banal and cheap. It was never a complex, nuanced, or original fragrance, but what simple appeal Acqua di Gio once held has been trampled by a stampede of similarly scented toiletries and household products. I don’t begrudge this scent’s many admirers, but wearing Acqua di Gio today feels to me like an exercise in high camp. Or maybe just plain slumming.
08th June, 2014
Sun, sea, salt... and summer in the Mediterranean.

The first time I smelled this, I found it really appealing. There's just something about it that makes safe and likeable, which I still wonder about. Then, I tried other things, forgot about it, dismissed it. As my tastes grew, I called it cheap, common, used the word "aquatic" and put it out of my mind for a few years. That is until recently... when I revisited it, tried it with an open mind, and surprisingly... it was still appealing! It actually feels like lying on an Italian beach, after a swim in the Mediterranean on a hot day in summer.

To start off, I can understand it's popularity, but I'm going to try and focus on why it's popular. Aqua di Gio is the fragrance which started the aquatic trend of the late 90's and which continues to the present day. Put simply... it was a landmark in that field, and spawned countless imitations, very much like Davidoff's Cool Water did 8 years previously. To me this fragrance does not smell as cheap or as cliché as other people make it out to be. It is popular for a reason, and just because it's common doesn't mean it smells any less good.

If I just focus on it's smell, not it's reputation, I would say that it reminds me of the beach under the hot Mediterranean sun. I really think the advertising fits the fragrance perfectly. I get salt water, hits of peach, jasmine and musk. In fact, when I close my eyes I get the impression of a basket of peaches and herbs and flowers all drenched in seawater and left drying in the sun. I don't know why, but that smells fantastic on skin!

I think I know why this is so appealing to many people. Personally I think it's to do with the salty watery vibe it gives off, coupled with flowers and sweet musk. It smells like warm skin, like you just stepped out of the sea (note: this smells nothing like a swimming pool... for those of you talking about calone etc.). To me it gives off a sweet smell of sweat, mixed with sea water and a jasmine floral musk type vibe. In short, it's like stepping out of the sea on a beach in Southern Italy, that's what I get out of it.

Having said that, it's very common and I can only see this working in certain situations, namely summer (especially hot summer days, I think it would do amazingly well then), any situation which involves swimming (beach, pool, vacations), I think it's perfect for a summer holiday by the beach; and finally I find it works best in casual situations, definitely a t-shirt and jeans type scent. Maybe a white or light coloured shirt but never a suit.

Yes it's common, a best-seller worldwide, but in the right type of situation (beach holidays, swimming, t-shirt casual), it works amazingly well. Summer Classic!

Edit: If you're interested in the "Essenza" version released in 2012, I couldn't find much difference between the two just that the eau de parfum focuses more on the woody and floral aspects of the original and less on the aquatic, fresh citrus side.
30th April, 2014
rbaker Show all reviews
The hesperidic citrus with an aquatic bent discloses this as a summer scent, with a jasmine drydown leading into a fruity phase. It becomes more aquatic with time, with the most notable addition in the base being a rather generic cedarwood note. Nice, refreshing, but in the later phases very generic. Poor longevity of less than two hours on my skin.
13th March, 2014
This is a nice citrusy clean scent that eventually dries down to a calm woody fragrance. It is highly overused by the teenage crowd which is a bit of a turnoff but I have never heard anyone say that they don't like the smell. My wife lives it so I will probably always own a bottle but definitely not a "stand out" fragrance in my own personal opinion.
24th February, 2014
rafa04 Show all reviews
one of my most favorite fragrances next to le male. smells great and it gives you great sillage and longevity. i use this one for spring and summer. i usually apply 3-4 sprays. 1 on the chest, 1 on the neck, and 1 on the back of the neck and you're good to go. this will get you compliments and even though it is overused and overpriced you at least need to own this once in your life.
28th January, 2014
Certainly a great fragrance to have in your collection. I got this and find it perfect to wear iin Summer weather since is aquatic. To me, i can only wear aquatic type of scents in the summer time and find this one very pleasing. For me this is a day time scent. I would wear something different at night. Giorgio Armani did well with this fragrance and it is definately a classic!
09th December, 2013
Kol Show all reviews
got this as a present used it once & sold it on ebay generic rubbish. How this is popular is beyond me
01st December, 2013
AdG is a staple that almost seems like it's required to own for everyone. It's popularity stems from it's unoffensive and safe aroma, I've never met anyone who truly didn't like it (bored of it, maybe) and it's actually a top notch fragrance. It's aquatic without being too aquatic and it can be worn with anything for any occasion in any season. It's that versatility that makes it such a staple.

AdG is one of scents that I will never be without. If my bottle finishes, I'll go that day to pick another one up. It's not my favorite (nowhere near, in fact) but I don't foresee it ever falling out of favor with the masses.

It's popular for a reason, and it's not all hype. Buy a bottle and you'll see.
29th November, 2013