Positive Reviews of Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Lucas Tortuga's avatar

Giorgio Armani is a very committed entrepreneur. Still nowadays, it is not unusual finding him somewhere around his shops, amd personally checking out the way stuff is presented and client served.
    He belongs to those men who has really left a mark in the world, of fashion, elegance and style in this case.
    Fragrances represented for his kingdom, a natural acquisition. And here he left his remark: by the very first Armani pour homme, a masterpiece even today, after almost 30 years.
    Acqua di Gio ph is not an exception.
    I personally met for the very first time in summer '99, and since then it has always been a stable presence within my collection.
    Dressing him, help you to increase your pragmatic and joyful approach to things of life.
    It is boosting up your energy, with that typical charme of gentleman with a care approach to life and people.
    Technically i is one of the most impressive, and long lasting acquatic scent in the market: an innovation, for its time, combinimg a slightly fruit undertone with earthy amd mossy facets.
    Highly reccomemded, for anyone interested in leaving a trace in the memory of others.
    Be aware....this scent can help you, but being remebered, it is up to you, to your style, to what you do and the way you choose to do it.
    Take care of you and have a womderful life.

22 August, 2014

toddsmith7378's avatar

Modern classic. Everyone loves it for a reason. It sprays probably too much so it goes down fast. Also, it doesn't last as long as it used to. Perry Ellis Red is Di Gio, but better. Di Gio is still Di Gio though. Thumbs up.

03 July, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Sun, sea, salt... and summer in the Mediterranean.

The first time I smelled this, I found it really appealing. There's just something about it that makes safe and likeable, which I still wonder about. Then, I tried other things, forgot about it, dismissed it. As my tastes grew, I called it cheap, common, used the word "aquatic" and put it out of my mind for a few years. That is until recently... when I revisited it, tried it with an open mind, and surprisingly... it was still appealing! It actually feels like lying on an Italian beach, after a swim in the Mediterranean on a hot day in summer.

To start off, I can understand it's popularity, but I'm going to try and focus on why it's popular. Aqua di Gio is the fragrance which started the aquatic trend of the late 90's and which continues to the present day. Put simply... it was a landmark in that field, and spawned countless imitations, very much like Davidoff's Cool Water did 8 years previously. To me this fragrance does not smell as cheap or as cliché as other people make it out to be. It is popular for a reason, and just because it's common doesn't mean it smells any less good.

If I just focus on it's smell, not it's reputation, I would say that it reminds me of the beach under the hot Mediterranean sun. I really think the advertising fits the fragrance perfectly. I get salt water, hits of peach, jasmine and musk. In fact, when I close my eyes I get the impression of a basket of peaches and herbs and flowers all drenched in seawater and left drying in the sun. I don't know why, but that smells fantastic on skin!

I think I know why this is so appealing to many people. Personally I think it's to do with the salty watery vibe it gives off, coupled with flowers and sweet musk. It smells like warm skin, like you just stepped out of the sea (note: this smells nothing like a swimming pool... for those of you talking about calone etc.). To me it gives off a sweet smell of sweat, mixed with sea water and a jasmine floral musk type vibe. In short, it's like stepping out of the sea on a beach in Southern Italy, that's what I get out of it.

Having said that, it's very common and I can only see this working in certain situations, namely summer (especially hot summer days, I think it would do amazingly well then), any situation which involves swimming (beach, pool, vacations), I think it's perfect for a summer holiday by the beach; and finally I find it works best in casual situations, definitely a t-shirt and jeans type scent. Maybe a white or light coloured shirt but never a suit.

Yes it's common, a best-seller worldwide, but in the right type of situation (beach holidays, swimming, t-shirt casual), it works amazingly well. Summer Classic!

Edit: If you're interested in the "Essenza" version released in 2012, I couldn't find much difference between the two just that the eau de parfum focuses more on the woody and floral aspects of the original and less on the aquatic, fresh citrus side.

30th April, 2014

Ersjr6983's avatar

This is a nice citrusy clean scent that eventually dries down to a calm woody fragrance. It is highly overused by the teenage crowd which is a bit of a turnoff but I have never heard anyone say that they don't like the smell. My wife lives it so I will probably always own a bottle but definitely not a "stand out" fragrance in my own personal opinion.

24 February, 2014

rafa04's avatar

one of my most favorite fragrances next to le male. smells great and it gives you great sillage and longevity. i use this one for spring and summer. i usually apply 3-4 sprays. 1 on the chest, 1 on the neck, and 1 on the back of the neck and you're good to go. this will get you compliments and even though it is overused and overpriced you at least need to own this once in your life.

28 January, 2014

neilk83's avatar

Certainly a great fragrance to have in your collection. I got this and find it perfect to wear iin Summer weather since is aquatic. To me, i can only wear aquatic type of scents in the summer time and find this one very pleasing. For me this is a day time scent. I would wear something different at night. Giorgio Armani did well with this fragrance and it is definately a classic!

09 December, 2013

Raynor21's avatar

AdG is a staple that almost seems like it's required to own for everyone. It's popularity stems from it's unoffensive and safe aroma, I've never met anyone who truly didn't like it (bored of it, maybe) and it's actually a top notch fragrance. It's aquatic without being too aquatic and it can be worn with anything for any occasion in any season. It's that versatility that makes it such a staple.

AdG is one of scents that I will never be without. If my bottle finishes, I'll go that day to pick another one up. It's not my favorite (nowhere near, in fact) but I don't foresee it ever falling out of favor with the masses.

It's popular for a reason, and it's not all hype. Buy a bottle and you'll see.

29 November, 2013

SnapDemon's avatar

Amazing Scent

An amazing smell. Very versatile, but unfortunately poor longevity.

Pros:
    Cons: Poor Projection, Poor Longevity"

02 August, 2013

silentrich's avatar

Timeless stunner!

I just recently purchased a new bottle of Acqua Di Gio after having not worn it since the late 90's. Upon first spray I immediately recognized the smell and am glad to say that it smells exactly as I remembered. This has got the wow factor that many of the newer fragrances lack. There are a lot of fragrances that have come along that have tried to improve on AdG, but despite that this still outsells them and is still a big seller for Armani. The smell is going to be very familiar to most people which is a good thing. Can be worn in pretty much any situation and would be hard to offend unless they just didn't care for fragrance period. Acqua Di Gio is the ultimate "Go to" fragrance and the best aquatic ever.

Pros: Smells incredible.
    Cons: Extremely popular."

31st July, 2013

stefly321's avatar

review by stefly321

A great summer fragrance. By saying that, i mean it needs heat to bring out the magic of this juice. If i wear this in cooler weather nothing much happens, but go clubbing on a hot summer night and this stuff comes alive in a very positive way! So save it for those hot summer days and nights. Don't waste it on the colder months.

Pros: Great smell
    Cons: Only lasts about 4 hrs until it starts to fade."

26 July, 2013

thines01's avatar

I can wear this year round -- day or night.
    It's a great (generic) scent that shouldn't offend most.
    It has a strong, citrus and cedar aroma that stays throughout.
    The fragrance fades after a few hours, but that's OK if you want to change later.
    I believe it is expensive mainly because of its popularity.

It's the kind of fragrance you "throw on" when you can't make up your mind of what to wear, but just want to wear "something".

11th May, 2013

TheNotoriousMAZ's avatar

Yes, this scent is incredibly popular. But it is for good reason, it just smells really good. The ultra hipster mentality of some of the reviewers on this site is ridiculous by hating anything that someone else may be wearing other than yourself.

With that said, I normally stay away from this one because a woman once told me that I "smell like her ex-boyfriend", and I'm sure that's the case with this one a lot. I still will throw it on if I'm just going to lounging around the house after work and want to smell fresh.

If you are on a budget or have no plans of making Acqua di Gio your signature scent, I highly recommend picking up Perry Ellis 360 Red instead. It's a tad spicier than ADG, but I actually prefer that when it's essentially the same exact scent otherwise. I most likely won't replace my bottle of ADG when it's gone, and just stick with the Perry Ellis for what I use it for.

23 April, 2013

SevenDays's avatar

On a bright summer day, you're walking on the beach with your woman. Holding each other's hand, the two of you stroll leisurely by the water's edge. The little waves splash against your feet, very gently though, not enough to wet your rolled-up jeans. Then a light sea breeze cools your faces, leaving the two of you very relaxed and refreshed at the same time.

30th March, 2013

K.O.D.'s avatar

Good summer scent. Decent longevity, projection fair. A good one, but not necessarily the "standard" IMO. Its very light.

14 January, 2013

Mattybono's avatar

This is a true legend of a fragrance that is the benchmark for what all fresh-aquatic scents aspire to be yet there is still no substitute for Acqua Di Gio! It is simply AWESOME! Suitable for any age (teens to seniors), longevity is well over 6 hours, and projects very handsomely with many compliments.

I have worn ADG since the late 90's and I don't care or mind how popular it has become.....it's popular for a reason: it smells amazing, it is versatile as hell, and is pure quality in a bottle! The greatest Armani frag by far, ADG will always be in my collection!
    (10 out of 10)

11th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2013)

Izzie's avatar

The one and only downside to this fragrance is its popularity.

To me, AdG doesn't really smell aquatic. When I think aquatic I think Bvlgari Aqva or Versace Eau Fraiche. AdG reminds me more of a fresh salty seaside breeze than anything.

Many aquatics don't really blend well with the skin. AdG however, has this lovely slightly salty skin-like muskiness to it that makes it one of the more sensual and inviting aquatics I think I've ever smelled.

Most people are going to like this fragrance, it's popular for a reason, you can't go wrong with it. For an aquatic/fresh fragrance, it has decent longevity and projection.

If you don't care that when you walk down the street, 10 other guys will be wearing the same fragrance as you, then AdG is a safe bet.

10th December, 2012

timdoeswell's avatar

This is the quintessential citrus/aquatic fragrance. Released in 1996, it has to be one of the few mens' designer fragrances to maintain huge sales numbers without drastically reducing its price (I'm looking at you, Cool Water).

The range of citric notes, combined with the freshness of aquatic notes and a floral accord makes this fragrance perfectly suitable for all occasions. It lasts reasonably well for a fragrance with such a prominent citrus scent, and this is attributable to its basenotes of woods, patchouli and musk (which are included lightly so as not to overpower the lighter tone of the fragrance).

This has got to be one of the most popular fragrances of all time, and to me, this works against it. I'd rather not smell like everybody else.

However, this is one of those rare times that a fragrance that EVERYONE is wearing is actually quite good.

16 November, 2012

KSG's avatar

Lol first smelled this in Debenhams at first i found the opening a bit strong but after the initial spray it settles down to an amazing scent perfect for clubbing even though it's old i don't smell this one around much on friends, family or in clubs. One of the very best aquatics in my opinion!

01st September, 2012

muskydusky's avatar

Aquatic, citrusy woodsy. Basically the epitome of citrusy aquatic. VERY 90s, almost like a time machine in a bottle. Aqua smells like a superior, much less synthetic version of Calvin Klein's Escape for men. I always received compliments when I wore that, and this smells better, so thumbs up.

27 July, 2012

Smellitivity's avatar

After the marine and citrus opening, when AdG settles down it offers a perfect balance of sea water, herbs and citrus notes.
    It's probably too old and too popular to be someone's signature perfume, but an occasional spray should always be welcome.

27 June, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

most people like this fragrance, as seen by reviews. It is recognizable, and crisp. The down side is the longevity. If you reapply it during the day, it is fine.

10th June, 2012

timmy-j's avatar

Absolutely fabulous scent, but I need to keep reapplying it all day if I want to continue smelling it. No longevity on my skin.Love the scent though. Most all of the negative reviews on this cologne are not related to how it smells but how popular it is.

25 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 September, 2012)

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I was one of zillions who 'discovered' this when it first came out – and who bathed in its mild and breezy magic, not realizing how strong this stuff actually is. I understand perfectly why this is such a bestseller – it has everything one yearns for in summer – freshness (but without a citrus blast), coolness and a feeling that one can relax and be invigorated. The masterstroke had to be the realization of a perfectly abstract and watery melon note (since overdone in calone bombs) – summer seduction without the calories.
    I haven't gone back to it as everyone and their whole neighbourhood wears it, but that's not to deny its absolute landmark position in the admittedly sorry club of modern 'masculines'.

03 May, 2012

Erok32's avatar

Not sure why anyone would hate this except for the fact that is is so popular. It's an incredible scent which is clean and alluring. I'll awlays own a bottle.

21st March, 2012

kokonut's avatar

It's nice. Yes, it's popular. Is it bad? No! I've tried so many fragrances and this one isn't just a boring scent. I like how the scent is balancing from clean to light woody and it also has something weird but extremely nice. Mayby it's the persimmon? I guess.

There are some fragrances that try to imitate it but in my opinion they fail.

07 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2012)

Jack Hunter's avatar

Citrus fresh that smells damn good especially during the Summer which is why it has been a number one seller for so long.

20th January, 2012

djvix805's avatar

Mexico Mexico

What can I say on this one? Its really fresh and it does get its compliments. More of a safe cologne. However, I do dislike the fact that everyone has it and that longetivity on this is weak. Thumbs up for the smell only.

15 January, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

It is a citrus scent that is not shrill or sour, but a little sweet. This is a great day-time fragrance for the gym, the beach or playing sports. Armani perfected this one well, there is not a note out of place.

The biggest flaw, as many others here have already said, is that it is very commonly used. And that is for a reason. It is a safe scent that has widespread approval amongst people in general. It won't offend many people. But since some other people are wearing this, you won't be very original. But I think some people exagerrate. I doubt anyone would say they have smelled this on dozens of people, but they may remember a handful, that is if they keep note of it. Some niche users will bash this as they may want to set themselves apart from the best-selling mass-market as more sophisticated. Basically, it is hated for it's own success.

Seasons: Summer (maybe early fall and late spring, but not winter)

Strength: Great projection and longevity. Strong enough to be noticed, but never cloying, overpowering or overwhelming.

Age Range: 15 to 30, but anyone really

Blind Buy: This is a safe blind-buy, and recommended. Since it's widespread availability, there is no reason why you aren't able to test it. Therefore, everyone, whether you are an experienced collector or a casual collector, should sample this.

9.5/10

Verdict: While it may be too common to be your signature, it is surely a compliment-getter and a great scent in its own right. Buy this one.

20th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2012)

BattleShipp's avatar

Great clean, fresh, aquatic smell. Definitely a good scent for summer and spring. However, it isn't anything super unique or special to me, and (even though no one in my age group wears it, being 16) it's apparently pretty popular. Smells good, but if you like to be unique and stand out or want something interesting, keep looking.

20th December, 2011

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Giorgio Armani's great silver strike in men's fragrances, Acqua di Gio fifteen years later is still a massive seller that forced the industry to adapt to the aquatic revolution. Certainly ubiquitous and overly duplicated, it still maintains its dignity through masterful blending and honest simplicity
    Acqua di Gio is citrus, water, jasmine and hints of floral accords that compliment each other exceedingly well. Obvious attention to detail and craftsmanship are on display, with a beautiful layering of the notes that comes off very well-blended and suggesting more natural accords. Simple from the bottle design to the formula to the blending, AdG excels in bridging a classic look and citrus formula with a modern emphasis on light jasmine and white musk to give the citric elements more weight behind them without coming off too sour or too synthetic. This does what the 19th century lemon and lime fragrances did but with less patchouli, alcohol and cream and more lemon and water. All the while lasting far longer (4-6 hours is reasonable, though under the right circumstances 8 is not uncommon) and projecting very well for a fragrance with such light structural underpinnings.
    Not overly citric, the lemon and citric notes hold out longer with AdG than they do in many of its prodigies but with a well-crafted professionalism that never overwhelms or suffocates the other notes. Clean, fresh and a tremendous success because of its simplicity and versatility as an every man, every occasion spray for those who prefer to smell nice and inoffensive without thinking too deeply about it. It also suffers for that same reason, AdG is almost so standardized, inclusive and versatile that it doesn't really adapt to different skin chemistry the way other herbal aquatics do and is excessively linear and prone to overuse. Still, a revolution of sorts for those prone to allergies induced by the more floral and herbal aquatics, AdG is incredibly wearable and never comes close to cloying.
    As influential as any cologne since Davidoff's Coolwater in the late 1980's, though Armani has managed to maintain a level of respectability by not over saturating the market with officially released spinoffs of their signature scent the way Cool Water and Calvin Klein with "One" have. Inclusive, versatile, sporty, professional, refined and casual, Armani's Acqua di Gio is everything to everyone, excessively wearable and extremely well-blended. Will stand the test of time.

02 December, 2011