Reviews of Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I was one of zillions who 'discovered' this when it first came out – and who bathed in its mild and breezy magic, not realizing how strong this stuff actually is. I understand perfectly why this is such a bestseller – it has everything one yearns for in summer – freshness (but without a citrus blast), coolness and a feeling that one can relax and be invigorated. The masterstroke had to be the realization of a perfectly abstract and watery melon note (since overdone in calone bombs) – summer seduction without the calories.
I haven't gone back to it as everyone and their whole neighbourhood wears it, but that's not to deny its absolute landmark position in the admittedly sorry club of modern 'masculines'.
03rd May, 2012
Erok32 Show all reviews
Not sure why anyone would hate this except for the fact that is is so popular. It's an incredible scent which is clean and alluring. I'll awlays own a bottle.
21st March, 2012
I've never had any desire to try this, but the other day I got a sample of it, so I thought why not? This stuff is just awful and smells of flowers - it almost made me gag. I'm sure if I hadn't scrubbed it off, it would have given me a headache. It is supposedly popular, but I don't recall ever smelling this on anyone.
25th February, 2012

It's nice. Yes, it's popular. Is it bad? No! I've tried so many fragrances and this one isn't just a boring scent. I like how the scent is balancing from clean to light woody and it also has something weird but extremely nice. Mayby it's the persimmon? I guess.

There are some fragrances that try to imitate it but in my opinion they fail.
07th February, 2012 (last edited: 13th July, 2012)

Citrus fresh that smells damn good especially during the Summer which is why it has been a number one seller for so long.
20th January, 2012
What can I say on this one? Its really fresh and it does get its compliments. More of a safe cologne. However, I do dislike the fact that everyone has it and that longetivity on this is weak. Thumbs up for the smell only.
15th January, 2012
It is a citrus scent that is not shrill or sour, but a little sweet. This is a great day-time fragrance for the gym, the beach or playing sports. Armani perfected this one well, there is not a note out of place.

The biggest flaw, as many others here have already said, is that it is very commonly used. And that is for a reason. It is a safe scent that has widespread approval amongst people in general. It won't offend many people. But since some other people are wearing this, you won't be very original. But I think some people exagerrate. I doubt anyone would say they have smelled this on dozens of people, but they may remember a handful, that is if they keep note of it. Some niche users will bash this as they may want to set themselves apart from the best-selling mass-market as more sophisticated. Basically, it is hated for it's own success.

Seasons: Summer (maybe early fall and late spring, but not winter)

Strength: Great projection and longevity. Strong enough to be noticed, but never cloying, overpowering or overwhelming.

Age Range: 15 to 30, but anyone really

Blind Buy: This is a safe blind-buy, and recommended. Since it's widespread availability, there is no reason why you aren't able to test it. Therefore, everyone, whether you are an experienced collector or a casual collector, should sample this.

9.5/10

Verdict: While it may be too common to be your signature, it is surely a compliment-getter and a great scent in its own right. Buy this one.
20th December, 2011 (last edited: 14th June, 2012)
Great clean, fresh, aquatic smell. Definitely a good scent for summer and spring. However, it isn't anything super unique or special to me, and (even though no one in my age group wears it, being 16) it's apparently pretty popular. Smells good, but if you like to be unique and stand out or want something interesting, keep looking.
20th December, 2011
I cannot stand this potent marine/acquatic piercing concoction...

10th December, 2011
Giorgio Armani's great silver strike in men's fragrances, Acqua di Gio fifteen years later is still a massive seller that forced the industry to adapt to the aquatic revolution. Certainly ubiquitous and overly duplicated, it still maintains its dignity through masterful blending and honest simplicity
Acqua di Gio is citrus, water, jasmine and hints of floral accords that compliment each other exceedingly well. Obvious attention to detail and craftsmanship are on display, with a beautiful layering of the notes that comes off very well-blended and suggesting more natural accords. Simple from the bottle design to the formula to the blending, AdG excels in bridging a classic look and citrus formula with a modern emphasis on light jasmine and white musk to give the citric elements more weight behind them without coming off too sour or too synthetic. This does what the 19th century lemon and lime fragrances did but with less patchouli, alcohol and cream and more lemon and water. All the while lasting far longer (4-6 hours is reasonable, though under the right circumstances 8 is not uncommon) and projecting very well for a fragrance with such light structural underpinnings.
Not overly citric, the lemon and citric notes hold out longer with AdG than they do in many of its prodigies but with a well-crafted professionalism that never overwhelms or suffocates the other notes. Clean, fresh and a tremendous success because of its simplicity and versatility as an every man, every occasion spray for those who prefer to smell nice and inoffensive without thinking too deeply about it. It also suffers for that same reason, AdG is almost so standardized, inclusive and versatile that it doesn't really adapt to different skin chemistry the way other herbal aquatics do and is excessively linear and prone to overuse. Still, a revolution of sorts for those prone to allergies induced by the more floral and herbal aquatics, AdG is incredibly wearable and never comes close to cloying.
As influential as any cologne since Davidoff's Coolwater in the late 1980's, though Armani has managed to maintain a level of respectability by not over saturating the market with officially released spinoffs of their signature scent the way Cool Water and Calvin Klein with "One" have. Inclusive, versatile, sporty, professional, refined and casual, Armani's Acqua di Gio is everything to everyone, excessively wearable and extremely well-blended. Will stand the test of time.
02nd December, 2011
bFlay Show all reviews
This has fast become a classic fragrance for men and probably for good reason. The scent notes are both old style "masculine" and modern "metrosexual". Bold musk and peppery green notes mellow to a dried fruit/wine base that is pervasive on its' projection and longevity. ACQUA DI GIO is quite nice if one takes it as a signature fragrance, but it is extremely specific in it's scent points and linear qualities. While this was a worthwhile "premium" fragrance when it was introduced, today there are dozens of less expensive EDTs and EDPs that present the same qualities for far less.
30th November, 2011
Popular, hyped, ubiquitous, but just so nice. I know there will always be ADG haters out there, but I will always have a soft spot for this one.

Massive projection and great longevity on me.

By no means the best fragrance in my collection but I really enjoy wearing it every now and then on a warm day with friends.

It has gotten more compliments from women than any fragrance I own.
17th November, 2011
A stunning aquatic fragrance. Many American reviewers dislike this for its overuse, but here in the UK I rarely smell it on anybody other than myself. Charming, classy, fresh, bright and sweet all at once, this smell lasts and projects decently and will always draw compliments. I personally use it for everyday wear, rather than at nightclubs as I feel it is trying to do something that wouldn't work on a sweaty dance floor. Not particularly seductive, but bracing and sophisticated enough to do you favors with the opposite sex nonetheless. One of my personal favorites.
15th November, 2011

i get rich floral with sprite....perfect for summer
14th November, 2011
Armani describes Acqua di Gio as a fresh, woody/aquatic... but when the clean citrus top notes flee this scent, all that remains is the lingering fish bowl-like odor of barnacles, algea and musk. This due to the overwhelming presence of "calone", an aquatic fragrance note also known by its chemical designation "methylbenzodioxepinone".
04th November, 2011 (last edited: 13th November, 2014)
Whenever I get compliments from ladies on how I smell - I am wearing Aqua di Gio. One of my favourites.
31st October, 2011
This aquatic, aromatic fragrance opens with a splash of fresh, calabrian bergamot, neroli and green tangerine. Light aquatic nuances mix with jasmine petal, crisp rock rose, rosemary, fruity persimmon and warm Indonesian patchouli to create a masculine scent that is both fresh and sensual.

Composed in 1996 and still very much alive, there is proof enough to entitle Acqua di Gio a "timeless" fragrance. Issey Miyake was perhaps earlier with introducing their version of the "aquatic", but there is something that sets Acqua di Gio above it. Something, "je ne sais quoi"!

Some may compare it to Creed's Millesime Imperial, and they will probably say it was composed better or maybe even claim it to be miles ahead of Acqua di Gio, and yet there is something about Acqua di Gio that draws you closer to it, something that Millesime Imperial is missing.
I remember reading a review about AdG where the author called it "the closest thing to pheromones on the market", and she was describing the same magnetic effect this fragrance has. And if you go beyond basenotes.net, you will find that almost every reviewer of this fragrance is attempting to explain it's magnetic effect, and that the vast majority of the reviews are positive... for good reasons.

It is not so much that everyone know it by it's scent, but that they cannot deny its appeal! Acqua di Gio has a charisma and a non-intrusive, yet sexual energy about it that makes it stand out, even though it is widely popular. When you smell it, you don't immediately recall the last time you smelled it..but for a short while you enter the present moment and life suddenly becomes enjoyable and delightful.
31st October, 2011
I am so happy I did not blind buy this.
this smell like cucumber,semen,salt and ice blended in a blender.

fortunately it projected like crap and didnt last long at all on my skin, so I was not very self concious wearing this.
07th October, 2011
Simply one of the very best Aquatics out there.
There is Good reason that this has been so popular for so many years.
Classic, fresh and masculine. Great for warm weather but works all year long for me.
Complements abound when I wear this. Armani may be a great commercial promoter with his fragrances, but I must say that most of his fragrances do live up to their commercial success. These are not fly by night scents...they are classic and most will stand the test of time. Well done.
09th September, 2011
drseid Show all reviews
A tenuous thumbs up for this one. Enough has already been said about the notes, etc. I find it a pleasant enough aquatic, but way over-rated and over used. I own a bottle, and once or twice a year during the Summer will use it, but I find that the scent just is not really my cup of tea (like most other aquatics) and I almost always reach for something else. That said, Aqua di Gio still deserves credit for being the catalyst for the trend towards aquatics in general, earning 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.
29th July, 2011 (last edited: 02nd January, 2013)
What can I say that hasn't already been said? This is a very fresh and light/airy scent, bordering on feminine. I know this is a man's fragrance, but I think women could easily wear this. That isn't to say that this too effeminate for a guy to wear. But if you're the type of person who thinks men need to smell like smokey leather, sweat, and motor oil then you should steer well clear of this. It is a very sweet smelling scent, and could be cloying to those who don't like sweet aromatic frags.

One downside to the fragrance is that there is nothing really there to wow your nose with. I'm fairly new to the "world of fragrances", although I've worn colognes on/off since I was a teen (I'm 32 now). There are probably fragrances in this "genre" that have more to offer you than ADG (I've read L'Eau D'Issey is one, though I've never sniffed it). Another downside is the age appeal. I'm not a person who too much likes age generalizations when it comes to fragrances because I think a person should generally wear whatever they like. But if you're someone who prefers something with more boldness and/or stature, you probably won't like this as it's very casual. It's also got a fairly prominent detergent-y feel to it, so keep that in mind as well if you don't like scents that smell like soap.

Overall it's an above average scent, with a very good compliment factor. Projection is decent, but not great, and longevity could be a bit better. But if you're just looking for something fresh and casual for everyday wear in the spring/summer this would be a good purchase.
18th June, 2011
Unlike most I have no bias against the fact a lot of other people wear this. Disliking a fragrance for that reason is simply stupid. This is a masculine citrus/aquatic.​ Fantastic projection and longevity without being too overpowering. Perfect for summer wear. I bought me a bottle within a week of sampling.
31st May, 2011
yo i dont really care how over rated this cologne is.... its still one of the best smells out there.. its lasts very long, smells great, and the ladies love it.. so i give this fragrace A+ for sure.
17th May, 2011
I love this on a man. I can recognise it a mile away. it's such a nice alluring, fresh sweet aquatic fragrance that is so pleasing and welcoming. I bought this for my man but i think he hates it because it smells more fruity and femme rather than emanating masculinity so he gave it to his gay brother. sigh.

Nonetheless, i love it muchly and i don't hold back from telling those who wear it that i love it.

The bottle itself is nothing fancy pants but it's certainly nice.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

Notes include marine notes, mandarin, bergamot, neroli, persimmon, rosemary, nasturtium, jasmine, amber, patchouli and cistus. It is recommended for casual wear.
13th May, 2011
A very pleasant, calming and unoffensive scent. It's safe and easy to wear and draws many compliments, especially from the younger crowd.

At the same time, it's also very basic, unoriginal and uninteresting. There's no doubt that it will make you smell good, but it doesn't offer much more than that. It lacks uniqueness and mystery, it fails to evoke emotion and interest. It simply smells good. I try to keep my collection small, and I can't warrant considering AdG as a purchase, but I do respect it as an influential scent that plays a big role in modern fragrance culture.

I can't criticize AdG for being too commonly worn. It is very popular and for good reason. However, the fact that half of the teenage male population is wearing this might be a deterrent for some people to purchase it.

In a market with hundreds of fragrances to choose from, there are many 'fresh' options that have more depth and sophistication than AdG. And for that reason, I can't give it a thumbs-up review.

Sillage is good, longevity is average.
Recommended for warm weather, daytime usage.
Recommended for high school or college crowd.
4 out of 5.
13th May, 2011
Not sure how it took me so long to finally get a whiff of this, but suffice to say that this is underwhleming, giving the ubiquity and popularity of this fragrance.
Yes, it's pleasant, light and fresh, but at the same time it is bland, unadventurous and I find, linear.
I think this is kindof like the 'hot top40'...inoffensive and catchy, but there really is nothing compelling about it's pedigree or quality.
A better option IMO is chrome legend, which is more fruity and salty, and has better staying power.
I simply can't give this more than a 'meh'.
09th May, 2011
As many have already written here, this is quite pleasant. Simple, balanced, fresh, clean yet not soapy - which is good. So not bad at all. Seems to have been done for a wear-it-and-you-have-nothing-to worry-about every day type of use, which is absolutely fine.

Just a little too common..maybe because they sell tons of it and you can smell it everywhere around you..

And a little too tame for my taste..It won't drive you or anyone around you crazy - but again, a good fragrance.
30th April, 2011
This is a pleasant, light and fresh scent. I'd say it is designed to be non-offensive and have the widest possible appeal. No notes particularly stand out, other than a light musk. The scent is not sweet, not heavy. The "marine" note is low-key, certainly not synthetic or tiresome. A pleasant no-brainer.
18th April, 2011
I wanted to like this especially since it was a blind buy. Curse my misfortune. The lemony top notes were there and those were ok. Others have described the smell of industrial cleaner, which may explain the reason it smells like a wet rag after it's been used to clean tables during the dry-down. Ugh, that dry-down. I'll probably just gift it to someone and hope they'll have better luck with it. Revolting.
14th April, 2011
Really popular, broad appeal. Somewhat an aquatic scent, fresh top notes of sweet fruit and only the lightest spice to add some depth, then eventually turns into a fresh, clean smelling musk with various woods. It is both unoffensive and very, very, very idiot proof. It's longevity is so low that even if you bathed in it, it would come off in less than a day, despite the fact you'd nauseate your co-workers, friends, roommates, significant other, spouse, etc. while it managed to project.

Unfortunately, after smelling this day in and day out on an acquaintance of mine, I quickly grew sick and tired of this fragrance. It constantly began to remind me of Pine Sol (Lemon) or any other lemon based or "fresh scent" smell cleaning product. The fresh dry-down became more of a lingering synthetic that I could not get out of my nose, and any kind of rosemary or jasmine note only served to remind me of this fragrance.

Women seem to like it. The slightly more sophisticated women comment on it. The two people I know who are wannabe connoisseurs, much like myself, balk at the cookie cutter quality.

You can't go wrong with this. You can't impress anyone with it either. This is very much what high schoolers wear, since I walk through my hallways and get blasted by this and Axe/Tag/whatever they wear. I do hope university is not the same way.
14th April, 2011