Neutral Reviews of Allure Homme by Chanel

Find out more about Allure Homme by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jcw122's avatar
    jcw122

I like how this fragrance smells, flowers and powder come to mind but with something more complex that I can't put my finger on. Overall, a pretty soft fragrance. I like how it smells but I don't think it's anything special. Might be nice for a warm day where you don't want something too notable.

16 September, 2012

knit at nite's avatar
    knit at nite

To my mind, this is one where all the money went into the topnotes, which are a beautiful citrusy peppery blend. But that phase is very fleeting on my skin- the remainder feels so synthetic and chemical. Such a shame.

06 August, 2012

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

A gentle citrus opening than has some gentle pepper added such to make it more interesting. Later Abd vetiver-green not follows and the drydown and a somewhat bland wood note. Overall on me it is a restrained-fresh scent that is not particularly original, although quite well made. A fresh scent for the warmer seasons when one does not want much projection, as it stays closely to my skin from the beginning. Sillage is poor on me with a longevity of under two hours.

21st July, 2012

kokonut's avatar
    kokonut

This stuff is so good. It has this calming effect. I just wish it had more spices and less sweetness that's all.
    edit: after few wearings I think it's too similar to cheap colognes. It's not that it's a bad smell. The cheap colognes try to imitate it and I smelled them before Allure.

28 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2012)

lotsomelow16's avatar
    lotsomelow16

Lots of people saying the longevity on this is 10+ hours? I have fair skin, and i get no more than 3 hours longevity with this! I get 12+ hours with issey miyake, prada amber, armani code, 212 sexy men, angel men, and many more...but this? It's appalling!
    Nice smell though.

22 February, 2012

rso6e's avatar
    rso6e

I'm a woman and I love the idea of wearing cologne. As many BNers have pointed out, many fragrances can be considered unisex and the rule of thumb seems to be: wear what you like. Well, I like Chanel's Allure Homme but I don't love it. It's a nice, well-blended and eminently wearable fragrance. Pleasant, but not particularly interesting. On me it opens with a rather strong, aromatic burst of lemon and slight greenness. I'm not good at distinguishing notes but I guess it's from the lavender or geranium. For me this stage has the most silage and the lemon is very enjoyable; it's fresh and bright without being too sharp and it is not at all sweet, in the way many citrus openings in women's fragrances are. After a while I get a cool, somewhat powdery note reminiscent of iris, even though that's not supposed to be in there. I also get a faintly sweet and woody background at this point, still with a light citrus sheen. I get no pepper, and aside from a very quiet/skin scent of wood and citrus, I don't get any drydown.

Basically, this is a nice herby-lemon and faint-wood scent. It has moderate sillage and longevity but wears very close to the skin after only a few hours. A safe scent, and somewhat generic except for its smoothness.

29 January, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Versatile for sure, not groundbreaking for sure again and anyway a bit generic and mediocre for a brand as Chanel. Probably over the previous great stars as Egoiste and Antaeus, Chanel was just looking for an olfactory common versatility and that's all. This fragrance is another attempt to conjugate initial and stable freshness and citrusy-peppery modern dynamism with a final smooth, appealing, semi-oriental base of woods (mostly sandalwood in here), ambery patchouli and tonka. Mr. Polge manages to create a smooth, pleasant, contemporary and averagely classy concoction which is anyway a bit lacking of personality, and more similar (as quality and texture) to Ferrari Red and Paul Smith London that to great beasts as Japuir Homme, Obsession or New York Parfums de Nicolai. Pepper, bergamot and labdanum are barely notable and i had liked those were more stressed together with some spices, animal elements, leather and may be some dirty fruits. The smell is linear (any element is starring and for many this is a merit), cool, grassy (finally reminds a sort of oily smoky vetiver) and honestly sometimes i'd say edible in its dense citrusy oil but is just that, any serious innovation, strict balance, any wonderful Heliotrope (Japuir Homme) or spicy myrrh (Obsession for man), any element of "clever carnality, complex exoticism (Heritage with its blend of spicy lavender, bergamot and balsams), dissonance or animalism" but this elements nobody at Chanel was probably looking for. Simply not bad.

14 January, 2012

WellGroomedGentleman's avatar
    WellGroomedGentleman

I don't care for this fragrance but I can't deny the fact that it has class.

18 November, 2011

photofinish's avatar
    photofinish

A sophisticated, sweet oriental scent whose clean citrus and soft, warm spices ultimately wane, revealing a conspicuous "antique wooden perfume drawer" note in the drydown.

14 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2011)

drseid's avatar
    drseid

I just get a mildly cloying warm citrus that just hangs around throughout the duration. Pretty much that is it. I like citrus scents as a category, but this one is a bit too overpowering a much to cloying to be considered seriously for daily wear by me. Well made, but not really something I'd enjoy. 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.

16 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2012)

cello's avatar
    cello

After the false start, this one turns into a pepper laden vanilla fragrance that is warm, pleasant and very wearable. At times, I almost smelled a caramel note mixed into the pepper and vanilla, but that was only faint and occasional. It's a creamy vanilla close that stays fairly masculine, but certainly wearable by anyone.
    Overall, this one was nice but I almost expected more from Chanel. It is certainly a good fragrance, but lacks the depth or pop I would like.

06 July, 2011

yoyo's avatar
    yoyo

Smells like high-end drug store scent. Very typical male cologne smell. You'll probably like it if you plan to own only one fragrance. YSL La nuit de l'homme is very similar to it.

27 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 April, 2011)

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

I totally agree with Shamu, though I don't hate this stuff as much as him. But for those looking for something that smells ultra special, you might wanna look in another direction. People claim this stuff smells a little like something from every genre, and arguably so. I get a little bit of citrus, creaminess, fruity, a little leather accord, some baby powder or a baby wipe smell as it dries, tonka bean, vanilla, vetiver and patchouli, along with a grape accord that's there from start to finish; which may seem like a lot to muster up, but it's really not too great. It's super generic, and basically a cheapo with a high price tag.

Though there's no denying in my mind that it smells good, and I may have been a bit more enthused about such a fragrance back when it first came out, but as for now, with all the other stuff out, and the hundreds of fragrances that I've owned or tried.. this is hiding in the shadows, and deservingly so, it isn't very special to me, and certainly isn't bottle worthy.

As for Chanel fragrances in general. If you're like me, you know your stuff a bit more than the average Joe, but you're not too familiar with some of the more respected houses such as Chanel and Dior, take my advice and avoid this one. I own a decant of Chanel No. 5 for women, and the comparison of quality is just astronomical. No. 5 is a beautiful, well composed, thick, rich and expensive fragrance, stunning! Very much a woman's fragrance, and even if you're opposed to wearing such, there's no denying that No 5 is a masterpiece. Allure on the other hand is just boring; it's hard to believe that these 2 are made by the same company. I'll keep my hopes up for trying Allure Sport, Egoiste, and some of the flankers, but thus far, as far, as Allure goes, all I can say is zzz...

29 August, 2010

SteelerOpera's avatar
    SteelerOpera

Put this on and while I liked it, I kept thinking it reminded me of another fragrance I own. Finally realized what it is - Boss In Motion.. does anyone else smell this? I should say BIM smells like this since Allure came first of course :)
    Other than that, I am not sure how long it lasts. It seems to stay very close to the skin, but is still there. Not my fave Chanel.

If anyone else has the same reaction to it smelling like BIM let me know :)

02 August, 2010

Sir Jim's avatar
    Sir Jim

I received this as a gift, I would not have bought it for myself. It is a very inoffensive scent, the sandalwood and pepper stand out for me. The problem I have with it is that it plays it totally safe. Its impossible to have a strong opinion about this scent. It simply smells nice. I would never wear this on a night out or at a party as its just such a neutral smell. It doesn't reflect my character at all. I would wear this if I felt the need for a scent but didn't want to make a statement. These instances are very rare hence my nearly full bottle after several years of owning it.

18 January, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Nice refined bergamot opening, followed by "Hmm...where have I smelled this before?" It's funny how an 88-year old dame like No.5 still comes across distinctively original while a 10-year old release smells very much like a hundred other scents. You might argue the latter could have been mercilessly duplicated using 'headspace technology' but I'm suggesting even a great nose like Jacques Polge runs out of ideas once in a while, what with corporate suits breathing down his neck. While ALLURE HOMME is not unpleasant, it feels generic, and 'generic' is exactly what Chanel is not.

25 December, 2009

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

If suggested retail price was considered, I'd give this a negative rating. Basically, as others have said, there is nothing of interest in this generic composition to the fragrance aficionado (though there is nothing "wrong" with it). In fact, when I sampled it, my thought was that I'd rather be wearing another, somewhat similar fragrance because there is something about that other fragrance that interests me. One example is Everlast Original 1919, which I like because it has a slightly sharp grapefruit up top and a strong leather/tonka presence in the base. Or there's Avon's Unscripted, etc. So, you can get a much more interesting fragrance for a lot less money, and those other fragrances are technically competent and not "synthetic," which leaves AH with no place in my large rotation.

10th October, 2009

hcr's avatar
    hcr

London Calling? Burberry, that is. Bergamot and pepper maybe? not sure, but think you could go with London and save a bunch of cash. Good, but has that boozy, sour smell to me. This teeters right on the line of would I wear or not. Too sour to be sexy maybe?

26 August, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar
    Somerville Metro Man

Chanel Allure Homme

In 1998 Jacques Polge created the first scent in the very popular Allure Homme line of scents for Chanel. M. Polge doesn't really create anything groundbreaking here but he does manage to make the first of a line of designer scents that each have their own personality. In the original Allure Homme he starts with a citrus and bergamot top, it has a mix of both mandarin and lemon and it is really nice if not incredibly original. As Allure Homme moves into the heart there is a muted attempt to be bold as there are hints of pepper and labdanum. I honestly think I notice them only because they are in the note list. I wonder how much better this scent could have been if M. Polge had chosen to amp up the interplay of labdanum and pepper more in the heart. As it is they are shoved to the back seat as sandalwood takes the wheel and eventually picks up its regular rider in the shotgun seat, vanilla. I could wish for Chanel to have chosen to push things more but I think this is exactly what they desired from this line a solidly constructed, easily worn, conventional, masculine cologne. On that scorecard they go four for four.

28 March, 2009

Stereotomy's avatar
    Stereotomy
    Netherlands Netherlands

Nice bergamot/sandalwood scent. Not groundbreaking, and therefore VERY safe fresh oriental. Also very versatile, casual, formal, date... all is possible.

12 March, 2009

Sporenburg's avatar
    Sporenburg
    Spain Spain

I bought this in 1999 simply because it was by Chanel. Not quite a disappointment, it works as a default daytime scent but it is so inoffensive, one would say characterless when compared with other Chanel scents. And yet, I can access the basenotes from memory without any trouble, so it isn’t entirely forgettable. I just can't see the fun of it, there's no tension.

16 February, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

At first, it really does resemble Obsession for Men quite a lot. Later on the similarities are much harder to detect.

Allure Homme is a nice spicy oriental fragrance with dried fruits and woods. It’s extremely sweet and slightly fresh. If it would be more dense and massive, it could easily pass as some SL creation made by Sheldrake.

The base of Allure Homme is filled up with vanillic benzoin and tonka bean. At this stage this is more akin to Desire for Men and scents of that kind, than it is to Obsession for Men which I find, just for instance, to be clearly more animalistic during the drydown.

Has a notable hint of patchouli in the base, too.

Nice, but can be almost cloyingly sweet at the end.
    And should I even mention how lame this looks comparing it to some other compositions of Mr. Polge….

03 February, 2009

jovanbell's avatar
    jovanbell

Pretty nice. thats about it. I was really expecting something amzing since it being Chanel. I guess it was because I purchased Egoiste before this one. Egoiste is delicious. I was expecting the same, but not quite that. it was more of an appetizer. Bergamont, citron, vetiver is what I mostly smell. its okay. Not anything special to me

31st January, 2009

frug's avatar
    frug

Smelling Allure Homme is like opening a cedar-lined box of fine cigars. The scent is masculine and warm, redolent of fine, aged leaf tobacco, brightened with citrus and softened by a little brandy.

24 January, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

Well, after ten years of relative popularity, one can sense that the allure is receding with each passing year. On its release some ten years ago, I became an ardent fan, and indeed have owned half a dozen bottles during that time. I used to be beguiled by its bullying mid note pepper presence that led you to the woody delights of the Tonka bean soaked base notes. Perhaps I used to ignore the rather sour accord that the citric top notes provide, just focusing on the moment the Jamaican pepper would march in and drag me forward at gunpoint. Either way, I now see Allure for what it is - a half decent woody fragrance with an appealing dry down.

It is the opening that pains me the most, as I have never delighted in the mandarin note, and its part in any accord is often the cause of a distinct synthetic vibe. It is only with the recession of the opening, that one can enjoy the mercurial presence of the pepper note. It is sufficiently reined in, preventing any form of dominance, but it acts as a very persuasive and intriguing episode before the base notes weave a little magic. Allure is an inoffensive, pleasant and contained fragrance, it’s just that I expect a little more than this from Chanel.

21st December, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 January, 2010)

surreality's avatar
    surreality

Chanel Allurre pour homme is a fresh fragrance with citrus topnotes layered over a wooded and spicy amber base. Chanel has created a well balanced, pleasant but very generic fragrance. Nothing about this really distinguishes it from any one of the other hundred well balanced, fresh fragrances on the market. Suited more to the young man who wants to smell nice than it is to someone who is after a more distinctive scent.

01st December, 2008

Heslipsa's avatar
    Heslipsa
    Brazil Brazil

First time I saw an Allure Homme' review I thought "oh God! My first Chanel, must try!". First time I put my hands on this fragrance, my hear beated so strong! Then I oppened the bottle, sweating handed, and worn... hold my breath for a moment and sniffed...!!?? There must had been something very wrong about my nose. Waited some minutes and did it again. No, definitely it´s not for me. It felt like raw eggs and some hotel soap. That´s a pitty, but I´m not done with Chanel yet!

14 November, 2008

schumi's avatar
    schumi
    Romania Romania

To me it seems like a mainstream fragrance rather than a refined Chanel. It's not repugnant, but not great either... I would expect more from Chanel. I also think it's a pretty sporty scent, so I don't see why Chanel felt like they should have another sporty version of this one. It's nice to wear on daytime, but I don't think that many would turn their heads when you'll pass them.

25 July, 2008

wtb's avatar
    wtb

Truly "alluring" to say the least in the right situation of course. Due to average longevity on my skin, it would've been nice if it were made in eau de parfum form... it would be totally perfect! Oh well... it's good to have a pipe dream once in a while...

14 July, 2008

renperd's avatar
    renperd
    South Africa South Africa

It's warm to the point of being sticky aka cloying. I finished a bottle about six years ago and I won't be revisiting it. I've been toying with the idea of getting myself the female Allure because it smells wonderful, but I'm not sure whether a man could pull it off.

28 June, 2008