Reviews of Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Find out more about Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

Somptuos, decadent, perfectly-executed sweet and warm amber fragrance. To me there's three scents on the market that compose the perfect "Amber Triad": Ambre Sultan, which enhances the animalic, medicinal, earthy and dry side of the amber accord; Ambre Russe, which plays with its baroque, boozy and libertine side; and Ambre Precieux, which just takes the classic signature warm coziness of amber and glorifies that majestic, silky powdery sweetness that other fragrances tend to hold back. Another timeless piece from MPeG - just like Santal Noble for sandalwood.

12 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2014)

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Retro- style Amber that smells like an after shave a barber would smack on your face after a nice shave or haircut. Ambre 101 or intorduction to amber scents. Light spices and lavender make for a very good fragrance. Could be worn all year round IMO (not many ambre scents can do this). Overall, this is a safe scent and one to try! 8/10

26 December, 2013

absynthium's avatar
    absynthium

one of the best amber fragrance in the market ,elegant,classy ,decadent ,sexy stuff in a bottle

18 December, 2013

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

In 2004 some poor soul gave this a thumbs down..
    This is a great amber..
    A gentlemen's scent..
    Not as powderey as most amber but a touch more spicy..
    Very cozy and uncomplexed..
    a Longevity beast!!
    14 hours and counting.
    Perfect for this time of year..
    This - Amber Absolute and HDP's Ambre 114 are all I need..
    All are great 5 star frag's!!

15 December, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

One of the best ambers - a masterpiece

From the first sniff this is amber, pure, rich and glorious amber. It is not all monochromatic though, as a gently spicy tone is present in the background, and there is a woody component in the drydown. After about three hours a vanilla note appears temporarily, but without any real sweetness. It is less sweet than Ambre Canelle, and much softer and rounder than Amber Absolute, lacking the rough edge of the latter. Compared to Tom Ford's Harem

Noir it has more spice in it. It is one of my favourite ambers. Decent projection and silage, but it is the phantastic longevity of nigh nine hours that really impresses me. One of the best ambers I know.

Another MPG masterpiece.

Pros:
    Cons: longevity"

19 July, 2013

Opoponax's avatar
    Opoponax

Popping the cork on this warm, mellow scent is a lot like plunging one’s nose into last season’s perfumed cashmere. The amber note is strong, with some sweet fruity notes reminiscent of blackberries and ripe Concord grapes humming along on top of it. The sweetness fades after a little bit, making it easier to smell the musks rounding out the base. There’s also a starchy, camphorous base note –a few mothballs are apparently rolling around in that woolens drawer. The amber becomes more prominent over time and as the fruity top notes dissipate, the hippy quality of the scent becomes more pronounced. After about ten minutes on the skin, it starts to smell like a very luxurious head shop, which I quite like.

The scent is a quiet experience that stays close to the skin without broadcasting itself. Staying power is reasonable but not extreme.

March 17, 2013

12 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2013)

Fish's avatar
    Fish

I don't wear amber very often but AP is a fantastic amber scent that have. I love the initial opening and have a problem over spraying just to enjoy that initial burst of amber. It quickly dries down and mellows to a wonderful lightly sweet amber hooked up with vanilla and some woods. A great cool weather scent and that I consider very fitting as an evening fragrance. I don't think this would be a work scent but who knows? Some mention it being unisex, and perhaps so. I feel it's more masculine and don't think my wife would find AP appealing enough to her to wear although she likes it on me.

Another amber I like just as much is the bit spicier, a little less sweet Cotswold Amber which I was able to get a sample of. Not available in, or mailed to, the U.S. unfortunately (I wish for a bottle full)

23 November, 2012

's avatar

Sweet, warm, smooth and sensual amber. And yes, it's powdery. Sweet powder. Not spicy as Ambre Sultan, this is close to Montale's Blue Amber.
    Wonderful sillage and lasting power.
    Suitable for both men and woman.

30th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2013)

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

This is quite a pleasant scent, not earth-shattering, but pleasant, none the less.

Amber and vanilla are the two standouts for me, but they are very nicely blended and for those who are into either of these warm bases, it should prove to be a wise choice.

It tends toward the sweetish side for me, so I would expect it to be a greater success with women than with men.

05 April, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

One of the best ambers outside for sure because of its capacity to be luxurious and warm without to be too sweet, aggressive or syrupy. Exotic, evocative and slightly vintage this amber fragrance as many underlined is based on a severe balance among the elements in order to create a dreamy, indolent and royal kind of amber barely green and spicy in a composition where an high quality of  amber is starring and almost integral in its facets and features. This amber is regal and serene, it's neither naughty or dark as Scent Intense nor spicy, intense and finally mellifluous as Ambre Sultan. The note of amber is central and all around whirl some modulating elements with the task to enrich and flavour the main element while preserving its integrity, i'm talking about a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg, a well calibrated vanilla, an hint of smoke, some mild woods and moss. A wonderful dosage of lavender is able to tone down the otherwhise to mellow usage of balsams (tolu, opoponax etc), manteining the juice subtle, averagely boise' and balanced.  The spices are not stormy but tamed and mild while the sweetness is not synthetically syrupy of caramellous but gentle, natural and slightly animal. That's the secret of the sexiness of Ambre Precieux, simply the ability of the creator Laporte to preserve the natural sensuality of a sensual element di per se', the amber. The general balance of the elements, the gentle temperament and subtleness of the final development reminds me a bit Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea, a scent that i love. Cloudy, refined and a bit Victorian.

20th October, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2012)

bearbo1965's avatar
    bearbo1965

A real masterpiece in "Amber" scents kind.... Warm, embracing like a cachemire skarf, just a little spicy accent... and then the powerful but gentle presence of ambergris that lasts for so long.... so intoxicating but incredibly wearable.... this is the ultimate amber scent you can experience.

27 September, 2011

dacha's avatar
    dacha

There are some scents that aren't deserving of their praise but Laporte does for Amber what he did for Sandalwood in Santal Noble, not a bum note or a missed step any where in this scent.
    You may prefer your amber served in a different manner, think of it as a beautiful woman, to say that there is another more attractive across the street is shallow and callous, appreciate the beauty in hand for what it is.

26 July, 2011

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

If, like me, you don't like amber to be the main player in a fragrance, I suggest that Jean Laporte's masterpiece will suit. AP has none of the bitterness I often find in other amber fragrances being supplanted with a rich, heady vanilla instead of the usual Casbah spices. It's not overly sweet though -- it's just right. Monster sillage and longevity.

06 June, 2011

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Not so much to say about this marvellous creation beside that Ambre Precieux it's huge! If you like your amber to be straight ahead and slightly spiced you've found your holy grail. Embracing, sweet but perfectly balanced, warm and comfortable, highly intoxicating and addicting. Simply one of the best amber around. A masterpiece.

29 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2011)

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

I normally approach a fragrance with the various forms of the word amber in the title with a sense of trepidation. There seems to be a tendency for the manufacturer to hoist the amber note onto its shoulders and try and wow you with its magnificence.

In the case of Ambre Précieux, I am happy to report no such hyperbole. It feels remarkably accessible, and the volume has been turned down considerably. Rather than show the sweet, cloying and pervasive tendencies of amber, here it just allows the resinous qualities to impress you. It’s a remarkably consistent presence, with occasional changes in accompaniment from supporting notes.

Even as an amber sceptic, I cannot fail to be impressed. It's a fragrance of considerable quality and maturity.

09 April, 2011

firehorse's avatar
    firehorse

amber, butter, powdery vanilla drydown

Wanted to love it, but it was just OK. Its a comfortable, respectable, and unchallenging smooth amber fragrance and I can see why its a classic favorite.

So far in my exploration of this note there are 3 other fragrances I prefer over this because they are more bumped up with spice or something medicinal added to it. Worth testing though for historical value, and I'm glad I did.

I give it a 3 stars because there is a distinct "butter" smell I get from this, and I don't mean: "buttery" as in creamy. Maybe what is butter to my nose is "play doe" to another poster below this.

That and the powder vanilla drydown is why its a neutral rating for me as I'm not a vanilla fan.

04 April, 2011

TwoWordReviews's avatar
    TwoWordReviews

Disappearing. Powdery.

I wanted to like this one far more than I actually do. Not only had I read the many glowing reviews but it smelled utterly to-die-for from the sample vial. But then it hit my skin. And vanished.

However, while it vanished quite literally within minutes it did leave a trace. Of powder. Just powder. Perhaps it's my body chemistry's reaction to amber because Montale's Blue Amber quickly becomes a powder fragrance on my skin as well. In fact the two smell remarkably similar on me, even though completely different from the bottle/vial. However, Blue Amber lasts and lasts and projects all the while, but Ambre Precieux essentially disappears.

I wish I could get what others get from this, but I don't. It's an all-too-brief whiff of delicious rich amber and then immediately becomes powder that you have to get within inches of to smell. Sadly, I can't recommend this.

04 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2011)

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

Warm, rich, creamy, smooth, satisfying, sweet, golden, precious amber indeed!
    This deserves all of the praise it gets. lt's very high quality, & the base smells just how l imagine real ambergris to smell; resinous, sweet yet salty. lf you're exploring ambers, you should not miss this one. lt stays very close to the skin, which is deceptive, because if l put my nose to my wrist the next morning it's still there, long after l think it's gone.
    l prefer a lot more sillage however, & if you want your amber with more depth & complexity, l recommend Ambra Aurea by Profumum, & Amber Absolute by Tom Ford.

09 February, 2011

fox41's avatar
    fox41

What a great fragrance! I really see the amber and vanilla come togethe10- r. It isnt sweet either but instead has a slight wood note to make it darker if you caught my drift. The amber is amazing and the scent last throughout the day 8-10 hours... sprayed it on my jacket and it still smells a day later. Also just wondering if anyone thinks it smells a little like playdoh... havent smelled playdoh in a while but from memory it smells sorta like it. Definitely a try if you like amber and vanilla. The one thing i dont like on this is the strong beginning but i can live with it because the dry down is amazing.

14 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2011)

mrclmind's avatar
    mrclmind

Ambre Précieux is definitely one of my favorite amber scents, and a favorite scent overall from this house. Although the structure of this scent is not very vertical, I wouldn't call it a linear scent since it tends to really bloom over its long life. Although the amber notes are present throughout the scent, there is a definitely lavender and faint green note in the opening. The bulk of the scent is a complex amber accord made up of balsams and resins including benzoin, Tolu, Peru and Labdanum. This resinous accord is sweetened with vanilla and spiced slightly with Nutmeg, and allspice type notes over an ambergris base.

Ambre Précieux comes out of the bottle nice, but almost subtle, and it grows as the day goes on. It lasts all day long with moderate sillage, while moving and changing slowly from one facet of amber to the next. It's not too dry, and not too sweet. If you like resinous amber fragrances, Ambre Précieux has no real competition.

30th November, 2010

Wombat's avatar
    Wombat

I just discovered this through a sample. I love it! I love how soft and powdery it is without being overly sweet. THEN I decided to look it up on the internet and discovered it's a MEN'S fragrance! ROFL!! You could have fooled me. I think anybody can wear it and anybody around them would be glad to smell it!

19 June, 2010

JDBIII's avatar
    JDBIII

This is an amazing, sweet, rich delicious amber and very strong as well. I have to dilute it when I wear it. Alot! I am not a particular fan of straight-up ambers, but there is no arguing with the quality of this concoction. The drydown is like a good bottle of red wine. It keeps changing as the air mixes with it, but you still know it's wine, just more delicious. So it is with AP, a multitude of little changes in the drydown but never leaving the amber framework. Arguably one of the very best ambers.

07 February, 2010

rinosaur's avatar
    rinosaur

Being one who loves Ambre Sultan, I obviously find this a bit too tame. Its a rich fragrance but at the same time it feels very plain.

17 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2009)

play's avatar
    play

Very very well done composition. I usually dislike sweet colognes but the rich creamy sweetness in this one I can live with. Vanilla and amber dominate throughout. Smells like inside of a pastry kitchen. Longevity is more than enough. I can smell it in shower next morning. Can be great for layering. Good stuff.

01st June, 2009

schumi's avatar
    schumi
    Romania Romania

MPG is one of the finest houses in the world and a true niche brand. MPG's fragrances are opulent, rich and almost ridiculously complex. I haven't tried their entire line, but I'm sure that all their creations are anything but dull.

Ambre Precieux is one the finest, most complex, richest and best blended amber fragrances I've ever tried. It possesses a very interesting duality: it's opulent, but not unwearable, it's serious, but not boring, it's complex, but not complicated. It's warm, creamy and sweet but all of that is very well balanced with a touch of spices and incense, thus the scent doesn’t become cloying.

I have to admit that I don't fully comprehend all the faces of this fragrance, it's not my favourite, as I find amber a much too heavy ingredient (Ambre Sultan being probably the best proof of this heaviness - this heaviness being consistently reduced in Ambre Precieux), but I have to admire its complexity and originality, especially in a time when even some of the niche companies have begun creating some quite dull, mainstream fragrances.

I'm definitely going to try more of the MPG's fragrances, as this is one of the most interesting alternatives to all of the "Pour Homme"s, "Eau"s or "Water"s out there.

07 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2009)

cpk's avatar
    cpk
    Greece Greece

Immediately: amber soft round much like the Ambre Gris. More simple though. There is a hint of a medicinal creaminess, someone in the forum calls it the Nivea accord if you know what I mean.
    A few minutes into the topnotes: an alarming cheesy note appears. This is also found in Santal Noble. This is nothing to worry about, it is soft, a bit metallic. All MPG fragrances go through a phase in their opening where you get a discordant note that you cannot think what the hell it is doing in there. You just have to give it some time to relax on your skin and suddenly this note either disappears or makes sense.
    Fifteen minute into the wearing: perfect balance and roundness, minimal sweetness and a hint of saltiness which is due to the remnants of the metallic, cheese note in the opening. The whole construction by now feels more discreet than it actually is. I always think MPG scents as living on your skin and actually choosing where to settle. This one settles under the skin. It feels as if it is the natural odor of the wearer. And by no means does that imply that it is a fragrance with poor sillage.
    Half an hour later: discreet wood and a hint of cinnamon
    The excellent site parfyym.pri.ee lists note as (if my imagination and google help me translate from esthonian):
    Top: berries, lavender (probably the metallic note)
    Mid: ambergris, vanilla, nutmeg
    Base: ambergris, peru balm, tolu balm
    I usually check the note listing after I do a detailed wearing to avoid being influenced. I suppose I perceived the balms as wood, nutmeg as cinnamon. Berries are a mystery to me. Lavender must be of a non typical kind. Vanilla is a note I tend to lose as a note per se but perceive it as “sweetness” but it is definitely there. I also tend to associate scents with colours. I get a blue-grey quality out of this scent which might be a subliminal association from the lavender. I cannot stress strongly enough that I consider this and Santal Noble as sibling scents. The same construction on a different base.

06 May, 2009

surreality's avatar
    surreality

I don't know if too much more can be added; just about everything to be said about Ambre Precieux has been said. This is a hauntingly beautiful fragrance, powerful, spicy but very classy and refined. AP lasts forever, I can put this on at 7am and smell it when I shower the next morning. I would recommend this to all who love or are exploring amber fragrances.

06 April, 2009

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

Just an earthy amber, that's all you get here. I'm not really sure about all of this "luxurious this" and "intoxicating that." If amber really isn't your thing then I couldn't recommend this. I was also told I smelled feminine when I wore this.

Oh well, it does have great longevity though.

You could try Montale's Blue Amber for more of a "composition."

26 February, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

In a way totally flawless fragrance. Perfectly blended, simple and sensual scent with very casual feel to it. Could easily be worn anytime, anywhere. Its not stunningly strong, but it leaves a notable sillage. Great lasting power.

I have couple of “problems” with this one, though.

First; it isn’t nearly as captivating or mysterious as the two best ambers I have worn – Ambre Russe and Ambre Sultan. (Russe especially)
    It just doesn’t glue my nose to my wrist…its just *nice*. In other words I could probably say that AP is quite much outclassed.

Secondly, I personally don’t care for the vanillic powdery base at all in this. Its somewhat very disappointing development, because while I don’t hold anything against powdery vanilla in itself, with AP I would have liked to smell something more resinous, balsamic sweet, smoky and salty in the base.

MPG`s ultra rare creation Soir d` Orient is composed upon this fragrance. That one is about three hours one of the best smelling perfumes ever made, but then what is left is an identical sweet and fragile vanilla powder with amber. In that case the projection is even much more disappointing.

But yes, like I said AP is basically speaking a wonderful scent, and I don’t wonder why it have so many loyal fans.
    Its just not for me. I prefer ambers with “salt crystals” instead of “dusted sugar”.

03 February, 2009

Game's avatar
    Game

I absolutely love this fragrance! A slightly sweet, rich, and balance amber with a touch of spiciness and vanilla. Beautifully composed and high quality.

11th January, 2009