Neutral Reviews of Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

For me this opened with a strong pleasant burnt caramel blast, followed closely by the central amber. Cedar entered after ten minutes and a slightly acrid vetiver note joined it. A dry herbal note then appeared (thyme?). After half an hour the overall effect was that of being in a small chapel where the smoke of a fine incense floated in the space.

The incense note is dry and dusky, not sweet.

My partner's reaction to it was that of a dusty, dry amber with a bouquet garni herbal note. He detected a wood note, but did not believe it was cedar. He would have liked it better if there was a more pronounced sandalwood/frankincense presence. Overall he found it to be dry, powdery, linear and herbal/amber.

After an hour both our skins smelled of "a cedar box in which amber and frankincense had been stored."

My summation is that of a very nice amber incense, but nothing outstanding or revolutionary. Recommended as a good purchase if you are fond of the amber/incense notes.

24 December, 2013

Quartz's avatar
    Quartz

Strong Vanilla Note

I sampled this one and have to say that while it smells nice, it's pretty strong on the vanilla drydown. Although I've seen it listed as a unisex fragrance, I think it leans more to the feminine side. Very good projection and longevity (still strong after 9 hours) but, for me, it's a little too strong on the vanilla and overall a bit too sweet for my taste.

Pros: Longevity is excellent
    Cons: A bit too sweet"

12 August, 2013

Kingpharroh's avatar
    Kingpharroh

Ambre Sultan starts off with a very weird smelling oregano note which is kind of off-pudding to say the least. Reminds me of Italian food and seems likes it's out of place especially with an amber fragrance. Dry herbs mixed with amber /vanilla/ bezoin usually don't mix. Do you sprinkle oregano and other dry herbs on vanilla ice cream? Don't think so. Anyway, after the stench of greeness finally dies down, a semisweet amber comes up through the ashes. The scent has a very pleasant and tolerable sweetness without becoming cloying or headache inducing. Downsides: very poor longevity, sillage, and projection. Lasts about 3 hours on my skin, with projection being a mere 30 minutes or less. Verdict:BUY/TRY/PASS . I say TRY.I think there are better smelling ambers on the market that smell better and last a lot longer. Not bad, but it's far from great.

08 December, 2012

the reaper's avatar
    the reaper
    Venezuela Venezuela

This stuff is strong. At the beginning it smells like something strongly medicinal but about 3 hours later it transforms into a beautiful incense fragrance. But that's too much waiting for what I like.

31st October, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

Amber, dry, less incense than spice. Nice but not for me.

09 September, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

It opens up with a kitchen spice accord which slowly leads into a lovely sweet amber. I like the amber part but just not too keen on smelling kitchen spices on my skin.

04 February, 2012

almasinti's avatar
    almasinti

This is a very oily, resinous amber with a sour aspect and heaviness that I don't really care for. Clearly really good quality, though. It has an element to it which reminds me, in a negative way, of a locally produced kid's cinnamon candy, here in Chicago. Nice, overall, but I prefer other ambers.

20th February, 2011

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

On me this opens with a strong, medicinal blast of fresh-cut wood, followed by dry aromatic herbs & pine needles. l find this stage pretty unbearable, & even on subsequent wearings l just can't get past it. lt takes an hour for the whole thing to sweeten, with the amber more benzoin than vanilla in its' viscosity, but that herbal note is still there all the way to the end, making it far too masculine for me. The sillage isn't great on me, & the longevity not as good as others have described. l really wanted to like this, & l will try my sample again in warmer weather to see if l change my mind, but for now it's a no from me.

Edit; l wore this again recently on a hot & humid day, & it did behave differently. The herbal & pine notes seemed to burn off much more quickly, revealing a dark & thick amber which l actually quite liked. l always thought of ambers as only being suitable for colder weather, but this experiment may have changed my mind. There are still other amber fragrances that l prefer to this, but l'm changing my rating from negative to neutral.

10th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2011)

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

On the past, i wrote a very unfair review for ambre sultan, saying this:
    "
    The worst amber that i`ve ever tried. It smell like old rotten wood with rotten honey and sweat.
    "
    It seems that ambre sultan tricked my olfact, cause at first i got a very raw vision of it, and it seems that my nose got focused on the complicated notes and ignored the ones that rounded it. Ambre Sutan is still an amber which starts dry, with a difficult herbal smell and a honey that goes almost to the animalic aspect. After that, ambre sultan relaxes and let you experience the cozier and sweeter aspects of the amber accord, amped by a sweeter vanilla, the resinous myrrh and the creamy sandalwood.

Ambre Sultan seems better for colder days, were only a small amount of it will embrace you in a warm and sweet aroma for the rest of the day. It`s not my favorite lutens, tough, and it seems quite of neutral cause it`s one of the lutens that doesn`t add nothing to the amber genre, and it`s kind of flat and hard to distinguish the nuances at first. A great amber, but for me it`s more of an olfactory experience than a frargrance that i would have on my wardrobe

29 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

There are some very interesting herbs here, and for a while I enjoyed this scent. Ultimately the scent performed in the usual Lutenesque manner – that is, sweet and persistent. And man, is it persistent! I am still haunted by a ghostly trace a full day (and many scrubbings) later.
    The scent opens with a very sweet and powdery blast. Then, a very good sandalwood note appears, along with herbal and spicy notes. The bay leaf (laurel) is quite pronounced, and the sandalwood has a pleasant, bark-like character. The coriander spice is nutty and attractive: often in some scents it turns into a clone of cumin with sweat-like connotations (but not here). The scent is distinctive for having a bright, lively character. The patchouli is more minty than earthy. The resins give a hint of balsam and vanilla, but for a while they are restrained. If the scent had stopped there, I would be satisfied.
    But no, the scent persists, grows, and gets tiresome. The balsam and vanilla notes increase, the patchouli gets heavier, the herbs go away and the brightness dims.
    I’ll give it a neutral for a promising middle phase.

15 April, 2010

TropiRock's avatar
    TropiRock

Oh, my. Where to begin? For starters, I definitely don’t think of sultans, or kings, or nomads traveling across the desert. If I tried to paint the image that Ambre Sultan conjures in my mind, it would go something like this: I step out of the taxi, on my way to meet with a new client. This is the industrial part of town and I am completely unfamiliar with the neighborhood. I pass a ramshackle old candy factory that is making a batch of cheap, gooey caramel. Someone spilled a little caramel onto the hot burner and as it smolders, it projects a sickeningly sweet smoke that seems to follow me down the street. My nose also detects a faint, acrid smoke from burning rubber – probably from another factory in the nearby area. I quicken my pace to escape the mishmash of those two odors, but it’s too late. It already clings to my hair and clothes, so I will smell like burnt, rubbery caramel for the remainder of the work day. Hours later, I’m on my way home, but this time I avoid walking past that candy factory. At home, I rush to remove my clothing, but I realize that my shirt no longer reeks of burnt caramel, and the burnt rubber odor has nearly disappeared, as well. The smell has mellowed and is now rather kinder, friendlier, not so sweet, not so burned. I decide not to shower, after all. The fragrance is no longer completely unbearable. This, my friends, is Ambre Sultan. Sillage is strong and AS is a longevity monster. I actually own a bottle of this stuff and am giving it a neutral rating (instead of the big thumbs down) because my wife says it smells good. What can I say? She must like burnt caramel.

13 March, 2010

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

Maybe my nose is out of whack. I don't get a big oriental experience here. The thing that this fragrance has going for it is the way it puts on the brakes. It starts out a pretty citrus vanilla and ends up a soft amber. Very understated, very unisex. Not too elegant, not too beautiful. This is a transparent fragrance for people who don't like orientals but want to wear one anyway. PS I am trying to like this one, but I cannot get through the camphor. This reminds me of being sick!

10th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 October, 2009)

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

I've tried a bunch of "amber" fragrances, including this one and Blue Amber, but the only one I find enjoyable is Etro's version. This one was too sweet for me. For those of you seeking an "amber" fragrance, I suggest you get samples of most of them, and take your time, because you don't want to discover that you spent a lot of money on one but at some point realize you like another one more. I think my appreciation of these "amber" fragrances vary considerably. Sometimes I know I will find them nauseating whereas at other times I'm really in the mood for it, so keep that in mind too.

13 September, 2009

irish's avatar
    irish
    Mexico Mexico

Now this is a true amber!
    I am not sure that is a good thing, but it is definitelly natural and very reminicent of Southamerican copal. It is dry, sticky and sirupy. It smells like a forest during a dry winter: dead leaves and resin.

01st November, 2008

surreality's avatar
    surreality

Ambre Sultan is a decent fragrance. Amber features dominantly from beginning to end, as one would expect, but it sweetness is cut by the use of dry herbs and a touch of cedar that provide a nice balance. This is a very powerful scent; one spray is often enough (and a reason I'm thinking of decanting some into a small roll-on vial).

14 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2010)

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

Upon inital application this smells like straight labdanum to my nose. Then it is remarkably like Eden Botanicals amber. However the drydown is much more complex and deep. A bit woody, musky and sweet.

14 December, 2007

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

14 December, 2007

Mario Justiniani's avatar
    Mario Justiniani
    Cuba Cuba

Not for me. Amber with herbs? Orientals are my favorite category, but I have to pass on this one. Mix Prada with Aramis, add a dash of Avignon and sprinkle heavily with Piper Nigrum. Forget it, we're getting silly here.
    What! A Serge Lutens fragance silly??
    I should be arrested by the niche police as a thought criminal . . .

09 February, 2007 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2008)

robyogi's avatar
    robyogi

I just read this was made to smell like a woman, which is really ironic, because as I was smelling the dried down scent on my skin, I was strongly reminded of tanning bed smell. Not suntan lotion, but rather the sultry, salty, hot, sweaty, burnt smell of having been laying on a tanning bed getting fried. I'd imagine this would be pretty similar to a woman coming from the beach, so I can agree with the assessment. Overall, a dark, warm, burnt-creamy sort of scent. I like it, but won't be buying a bottle or wearing it myself.

18 March, 2006