Reviews of Armani Eau pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A soapy Eau de Cologne type smell. I have a mini of what I believe is considered vintage. This rivals Chanel Eau de Cologne on shelves today, or Frederic Malle Cologne Indelible, but then adds moss to the base to give an added dimension, a luxurious velvet backdrop to the Eau de Cologne.
26th November, 2015
ohh my my my entire perfumery hobby ( a recently acquired one ! ) there was no other scent I anticipated / dreamt of smelling as much as Armani Eau Pour Homme , from the initial days when I started reading about fragrances (for the past 4 to 5 months ) to this day ...this is one fragrance I was dying to smell as the love it was shown by serious hobbyist is universal in their praise albeit many have observed that the vintage was the ultimate classic and new formulation is a pale shadow of its former self ...but since I couldn't find the vintage I ordered the latest with silver bottom ( not black ) in a blind purchase .. ...and today is the first day of my wearing ..and what a fragrance it has turned out to be / smooth / classic ...of all the samples that I have from various houses ...barring a few honorable exceptions like Aventus & Guerlain L'eau Boisee and a few others...this has been by far the best smelling fragrance ..and I feel like kicking myself that I have spent so much time on this earth without even knowing that something like this exists and can bring so much joy to the wearer...!
It opens with a rich citrus / tangy opening and very quickly settles down to a smooth / classic scent .....and boy it does smell absolutely fantastic !
In my reviews so far I was worried that I have been giving thumbs down to so many perfumes that even editors will think that this guy is "negativity personified" but I was always searching for that smell which would literally sweep me off my feet in a good way , doesn't smell synthetic ....doesn't get cloying so many of the modern chemically laden horrors existing today and I guess after wearing this ...I am very close to finally settling down with this hobby as a content man.
For all basenoters who haven't smelled this yet ...please go ahead and buy the bottle and you wont regret it ...its the epitome of classic citrus / with a tangy / spicy hint coming from the clove and the basil notes and finally settles to a woody mossy base.
The Longevity and sillage is average 4 hrs on my skin but I need to wear it a bit more to say that with certainty.
This will surely uplift the mood under any weather but summers is what its meant to brighten up ...ohh boy ...cant get enough of it ..!
I highly recommend it as a blind buy and in my books this is 9 on 10 classic fragrance !
23rd September, 2015

The Essence of Pure man.Everything about ARMANI EAU PH speaks of Dignity, deep pleasure and exhilaration.It is not my favorite of ARNMANI but I still Love it nonetheless.Strong and Refreshing at the same time Soft and Clean. In other words Crisp,Cool, Vibrant,Classic,Lovely,Elegant and Aromatic.

At the beginning It smells predominate of the Citrus notes then the discreet Touch of Jasmine,Rose and Cinnamon makes Middle notes.The base notes are quite Masculine and Beautiful.This composition makes it a Great standby for Every eventuality from business to pleasure.

ARMANI EAU PH is appropriate a Gentleman who attention to Elegance yet who can roar if he Likes. It is for Tropical weather that can be worn Formally or Informally.If you are Looking for a Classic and Distinguished smell that Everybody will be asking You about it you are exactly at the right place.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

01st July, 2015

Can't vouch for the current version as I have a few bottles of different vintages. Aeph is based on the classical Eau de Cologne structure (citrus, herbs, oak moss). What's different with Aeph is the addition of cloves which adds a darker dimension to the bright EdC structure.

Even with the addition of cloves, Aeph still doesn't last that long, 3 hours at most. However, it's a great scent for a warm, sunny day and offers something a bit different from the classic EdC.

28th May, 2015
rbaker Show all reviews
The original sports a very traditional opening, with a good lemon-citrus start with a classy lavender drydown. The base is based on sandalwood with hints of white musk, vetiver and mossy hints. Traditional but well done. Alas recent samples were watered down in quality and now only deserve a neutral score. Adequate sillage and projection with four hours of longevity. 2.5/5
23rd March, 2015
gimpy Show all reviews
Never was there a more beautiful, classical scent. Like heroin for your olfactory senses.

(Vintage version)
13th March, 2015
Anyove who calls this the "Original Armani Scent" knows absolutely nothing about it. I still have a couple of bottles of the original eau pour homme from the 90's and even a bottle of the aftershave and I've got to tell you the difference is huge. The new scent smells good for about 5 minutes and then it smells like nothing. The Original has a very clean citrusy and woody spice scent to it, the oakmoss I'm guessing. The longevity and sillage are more than reasonable. Anyone interested should try the original. You can still find it on Internet sales platforms but be sure to check out the details before you buy. I would suggest you look at "Raiders of the lost scent" and punch in Original get all the info you'll need while searching
30th December, 2014 (last edited: 07th January, 2015)
A nice, clean, soapy scent with a darker masculine heart. It opens with gentle floral-citrus notes, light herbs, spices. Classic, elegant, discreet and unintrusive, with a general softness which makes it remarkably graceful and relaxed. The darker earthy base is light, but detectable, giving the right amount of "masculine substance" to the scent. Nothing new or breathtaking, but surely a totally modern and versatile signature scent, refined and good quality (at least its vintage version). I agree with Luca Turin noticing a close similarity to Eau Sauvage – or better say, a bit of a washed down version of Dior's milestone. Still pretty good, though.

18th July, 2014
The only armani I like. I own both a vintage bottle from the mid 90s and a bottle from 2012, and I honestly cannot tell them apart.

Both have the same longevity. If armani made the lasting power more than an hour, it would be 5 stars all the way. One of, if not the best classic citrus fragrances ever made, hands down.
09th April, 2014 (last edited: 08th May, 2014)
drseid Show all reviews
Sheer Class

*This is a review of vintage Armani Eau pour Homme.

Armani Eau pour Homme (vintage) opens with a very clean green bitter orange and lemon tandem with a soapy herbal undertone. As the fragrance enters its early heart the lemon decouples from the quickly receding bitter orange, now joining slightly earthy nutmeg spice and mild carnation florals. The soapy herbal undertone remains from the open, now enhanced by clean vetiver and just a hint of oakmoss rising from the base. During the late dry-down the progression stays quite linear as the lemon finally fades and the soapy herbal accord couples with relatively dry sandalwood and clean musk from the base. Projection is average and longevity is below average at 5-6 hours on skin.

Eau pour Homme (vintage) is a classy clean citrus and herbs composition in the same vein of Monsieur de Givenchy and others. The best way to describe Eau pour Homme (vintage) is it generally smells like a toned down Irish Spring soap during the heart phase. Before anyone runs out to buy a bar of the soap to save some money, Eau pour Homme (vintage) is much more subtle and refined, smoothing out the brash nature of Irish Spring and adding much more complexity and sophistication with its deft use of oakmoss, clean vetiver and sandalwood in its base. The composition is rather linear and not particularly challenging; instead it is one of those fragrances easily at home in formal situations when one is in close proximity to others and a clean and pleasant smelling selection is just what the doctor ordered. The bottom line is the original formula of Eau pour Homme can still be found on the aftermarket for about $60 a 100ml bottle and is probably the best release from Armani, earning a "very good" 3.5 stars out of 5. I strongly prefer vintage Monsieur de Givenchy, but vintage Eau pour Homme is another great choice and is definitely worth a sniff at the very least.

Pros: Clean, complex, sophisticated and subtle... Quite pleasant smelling.
Cons: Below average longevity; difficult to find in vintage form.
03rd September, 2013 (last edited: 13th December, 2013)
All time favourite

Armani Eau Pour Homme is my alltime favourite and I am using it for a long time now. I love the sublte citrus but it does not last very long so I use quite a lot compared to other scents. I was slightly panicking when I heard about the recent reformulation and bottle re-design in 2012 and tried to get hold of some old stock. But I could probably only tell the difference between the former version and the reformulation in direct comparison of both scents, so I wonder why it was necessary. However, the bottle design is much more elegant now.

Pros: Classy citrus
Cons: Longevity"

22nd August, 2013
Mediocre Scent

Oriental Spice

06th August, 2013
It's all about quality from Armani/Roger Pellegrino

This is a classic from 1984 which has gone through 3 main reformulations, in 1999, in 2009 and in 2013.
The 2009 reformulation removed the oakmoss and treemoss from the fragrance, and it has a significant effect on the fragrance.
So i recommend to all to buy pre-2009 formulation, it's better and it's stronger. This review is for pre-2009 formulations.

The scent in all is nothing but strong, it's refined, low-key citrus but in the older versions the already mentioned oakmoss gives it a good heavier base.
I wouldn't use the word subtle though because it's masculine and natural and has a solid base. For it's low-key nature i recommend 1) to wear the older formulation 2) spray liberally (4-7 sprays, one to the shirt) and 3) use the Armani eau pour homme
showergel and deodorant as well.

It's all about quality and that's no wonder because the launching year was 1984 and the nose behind this fine fragrance is the genious Roger Pellegrino (whose other creations
are for example womens' Anais-Anais by Cacharel and mens' legendary Rochas Macassar (in collaboration with Nicolas Mamounas, the nose of Rochas)

The best wearing is day-time scent, thogh this is one of the most safe and versatile scents there is, can be used in work (office), won't offend anyone, others will notice it's YOU who smells good not your perfume.
One warning though: There's one delusive aspect in the scent: The wearer's nose will get used to this very quickly, and others can smell you for hours when you self can't, so be careful not to re-apply too often.

For those whom this simply is too weak after all, stronger citruses i recommend Boucheron Pour Homme, Monsieur de Givenchy and Eau de Rochas Pour Homme. (all preferably in vintage formulation of course.)

Pros: Green, natural, versatile, refined, low-key
Cons: The 2009 formulation spoiled this fragrance

26th May, 2013

It pains me to give this frag a bad rating because I really wanted to like it, and it does smell nice, but it simply does not last. I tried it three times, the last time I used several sprays and it still didn't hang around. It's ok if you want to keep re-applying.

I tried it again, and decided that if you take a small atomizer with you and re-apply after three to four hours it will stay with you the rest of the day. It really is a well crafted fragrance that's better than anything i've smelled at Sephora lately, so I'm going to stock up on a few bottles.

Pros: Very classy oakmoss infused fragrance.
Cons: Vanishes after three hours.

26th May, 2013
To be honest, my initial thoughts of this were that someone had cut a lemon in half and squeezed in into a bottle, lemon owns this scent!

It maintains throughout, but after the first 20 or so minutes it calms down, and lets some other notes have a say in the picture. All in all, I like the fragrance, and it wears well on me. Although the lemon invades your nose at first, afterwards it just speaks sharp, concise confidence. A perfect every-day office wear scent for a modern man in my opinion. Modern, fruity (almost too much) and defined, with gentle calming lavender undertones.
05th December, 2012
This review is for the vintage version. Here we have a old school, citrus, herbal offering with Lavendar accord that was @ that time the envy of a citrus man's cologne. Given that this fragrance reeks of ITALIAN, I see a well dressed man in his Armani suit & wearing Armani Eau Pour Homme.

It starts out with that lemon/herbal vibe which I am assuming it is the basil. Kind of strong stuff to a degree at the beginning, but do not let it discourage you as most fumes start out strong yet can be misleading. The Lavendar creeps in which I do not care for along with some woods to give it a interesting edge. Then comes the Oakmoss which in todays world of perfume it is extinct...

IMO the Oakmoss which was used in many old school perfumes gave them distinction. It is sad that particular ingredient can no longer be used in perfumes. THANK GOODNESS FOR VINTAGES! :) This last about 5-6 hours on me & the projection seems to be low to medium. I wore this to a business meeting not long ago & was complimented twice. It serves it's purpose for what it does. Day wear in the spring/summer days.

However, the modern version of this is nothing but synthetic water to my nose... Not pleasant by a long shot. If you truly want to experience this make sure it is a vintage bottle. Also this competes with the great Eau Savage from Christian Dior as they share alot of the same qualities, if I had to choose one over the other,it would be Armani Eau Pour Homme. As nice as Eau Savage is, it's longevity is not as good compared to this & I am referring to the vintage Savage.
02nd July, 2012
Are we measuring "modern" by how much fruit is in the ingredients? I wouldn't call Armani pH dated. It's absolutely versatile -- for work and for play. its most prominent notes are bamboo and lavender. I'm 28; I can not IMAGINE wearing Azzaro pH -- it's smells like something jmmy carter could wear today... for nostalgic purposes of course. Armani, you can wear it to your meetings and to your tennis game... :)

17th June, 2012
This is one of the few first scent that i came accross and was smitten by its freshness ,it opens with blast of lime ,lemons or bergomot very pleasent and sensual but again a more of an 80s scents but never outdated in the second layer comes the spices which also nice and llastly the woody notes likes the sandalwood etc,one of my favourites purely for the summer and outdoors but can be worn for romantic dinners also,its actually pretty versatile and i believe MR armani the man himself wears the same fragrance even now.The main negetive with this fragrance is the sillage and the longivity very poor.
28th May, 2012
Simple, Clean and Elegant - it really grows on you just when you think its another retired movie star gets back into modernity with such ease, my most used bottle - total count - i had used 12 bottles of this! + 1 after shave thats 13 in total, bright opening but beautiful dry down, an ethereal classic.
22nd May, 2012 (last edited: 13th September, 2012)
Agreed with Francop, very expensive lemon based eau de cologne. Just sad.
21st May, 2012
Absolutely agree with Jack Hunter.

This scent used to be an 80`s Classic; the current available version has been reformulated as a watered down generic citrusy eau de cologne...

Very disappointing...!!!

25th February, 2012
I liked the lemon herbal moss blast of citrus in the opening then the scent seemed to disappear into nothing after thirty minutes. The fragrance seems thin and watered down which is a shame as this one had a good reputation in the Eighties. I guess it's been reformulated for the worse.
20th January, 2012
Armani Eua Pour Homme is a strange scent, I cannot really pick many faults with it and I like the Lemon and Tangerine. This scent is from the classic mold and is not over complicated. I would question the amount of time that this fragrance lasts on my skin as it barely goes beyond 4 hours, but it smells lovely and is worth a small investment. It is far removed from other armani scents that are doing the rounds in the clubs.
31st December, 2011 (last edited: 07th January, 2012)
Bland, boring, cheap-smelling, aromatic/fougere. Chypre-ish but not much until the dry down. I get more lavender than anything. Some dark citrus in the opening. Smells very dated.

There are much better selections from this genre, such as Azzaro pH, and Polo original. I am not thrilled with Armani pH.
21st November, 2011
Along the lines of Eau Sauvage with its sweat note (basil, sage?) but overall friendlier and sweeter, but still with civet in all likelihood. A tad boring for my taste, which tends toward the bold and bitter.

Important correction: this fragrance is not related to Esencia Loewe, as Diplomat suggests. It shares a couple notes but on the whole is much sweeter and more a classic floral-cologne type of fragrance. Esencia's fantastic, dry herbal-citric opening and dry heart (with just a touch of rose) are a far cry from this conventional offering from Armani; even a superficial sniff by a decent nose would detect they're not in the same realm at all. I'm a huge fan of Esencia, and not particularly a fan of Armani Eau pour Homme.
26th September, 2011
An excellent lemon fragrance on par (to me) with Eau Sauvage.
The oak-moss stands out and gives this great character.
A true classic.
31st August, 2011
A True Classic and Masculine scent on the lines of Aramis Tuscany but lighter.
Everything about this is classic including the bottle.
I actually have 2 bottles of this...One marked 80% and another marked 89%.
Let me say that the 80% volume has greater depth and longevity.
I use the 89% for casual wear and keep the 80% for more formal times.
This will always be a favorite of mine.
27th July, 2011
Refined and elegant, fresh, masculine, a "business suit" fragrance which was also my signature scent for at least ten years from around 1985. I've gone back to it again and again and find it to be almost timeless.
...Until I found Esencia by Loewe. The two are very similar, sharing opening notes and an overall signature. But there is a much more complex drydown to Loewe's Esencia which is now my signature EDT and will stay that way for many years to come.
If you like Esencia then you will like Armani's Eau Pour Homme, and vice versa.
24th July, 2011
opens very citrusy, like the classic eau de cologne. It definitely has jasmine in it which reminds me of eau sauvage.
15th July, 2011
How amazingly simple!!!! Yet sparkling,lively and almost sizzling like a bottle of shaken mineral water that is being opened.Made according to the logic of a common man - simple and efficient.Straight to the point kind of smell. Nothing that would make you fall into a heavy discussion with yourself just to figure out wheather you like it or not.Just like it...or not!Very 80's.Very "cologne" style.Nowdays they would consider this kind of smell something rather for a windowcleaner or toilet freshener than for a fine perfume. Includes all of those "male" ingredients: lemon,bergamot,basil,clary sage,lavender. Probably the only fragrance with an undisputably masculin lavender. Makes me quite nostalgic about the times when i was just a child and my grandfather used to wear something of this type of smell.To me this is what Dirty Harry would smell like.
09th April, 2011