Reviews of Baie de Genièvre by Creed

BLUF: A warm, dry, herbal, spicy, incredibly unique masculine offering from Creed. Bordering on hyper-masculine, but not in a brash, hairy-chested manner. It's more of a refined sense of capable and confident masculinity.

The opening blast of dry resinous juniper berry is accompanied by a restrained light sweetness and simple but remarkably natural-smelling spicy cinnamon leaf that almost has a smokiness to it. I didn't experience a "syrupy" sweetness, as a previous reviewer did, but a sweetness is there throughout. The whole scent carries a smooth, warm dryness and has a bit of a fougère leaning. I also agree that there is a bit of a fuzzy barbershop facet, but it's far from a full-blown barbershop. The base of earthy, dirty, crunchy vetiver compliments the scent and becomes more present as it develops.

It's a very simple structure, but immensely enjoyable. Although discontinued and typically expensive, I was able to pick up a barely-used full presentation specimen in an eBay auction for ~$130, but would probably have paid more. I recommend keeping an eye out for this gem, which I consider to be one of the best of the Creed line.

I suppose it's dated in the sense that some of the best masculine fragrances were conceived decades ago and in line with the lamentation that "they don't make 'em like they used to". And it's a shame they don't, because this is just plain excellent.
24th May, 2016
Beautiful opening from Baie de Genievre. A sparkling juniper note that brought an instant smile. A tiny bit soapy, but nothing compared to the nuclear soap bomb that is Creed's Cypres Musc. Baie de Genievre has an Itasca vibe, but is less spicy to my nose, even though the middle notes of Bair de Genievre are cinnamon, this smells mainly to me of juniper with some vetiver. Very clean smelling and enjoyable. I feel like there's a hint of citrus too, but just a hint, nothing more than that. I've read many people say they think this is a "dated" scent, but I think it's weathered extremely well since 1982. I feel this could be worn in warm weather or cold weather. It's a fresh, clean alternative to a pure citrus or a neroli for summer, and it would be great in the winter months too in my opinion. If it were more readily available, I would consider a purchase...I really like it! I found the longevity and sillage to be much shorter than I would have liked, but I will apply moisturizer to my skin before trying again. I was happy to find such an enjoyable fragrance after the last few I've tried. This could be a gem of a fragrance if I can get it to last longer on my skin...
19th May, 2016
I was in a dentist office. Walking away after my appointment and the dentist assistant said - what is that great smell? I just smiled and kept on walking.
24th April, 2016

Another discontinued Creed scent way superior to the near majority of their current abysmally insipid range. Baie de Genièvre is an impressively solid masculine spicy fougère straight out of the early 1980’s (still quite 1970’s-inspired, with all that herbal-stale dryness) with some quite peculiar features making it surely worthy a sniff at least – not a purchase at those “vaulted” prices, but surely a try. I mean, it’s very good, it’s a Creed, that’s already quite something.

What I really enjoy about Baie is how simple, robust yet very inspired it smells: basically it’s a crisp, tasteful blend of citrus-infused, herbal juniper notes with their recognizable sort of very aromatic, edgy, bitter, metallic, super dry and dark-boozy nature; then some sharp, earthy, smoky and salty vetiver (“the vintage kind”, rooty and dirty, such as in Maitre’s Route du Vetiver or Goutal’s Vetiver), some very well-fitting sort of sweet-spicy dash of Oriental aromatic powder (they say cinnamon, I trust that, although it smells a bit more generic to me – just something slightly sweet, lukewarm and exotic, even slightly fruity at first) and a light note of lavender - which isn’t listed, but I think I smell it. A sharp, dry, distinguished and very aromatic blend with a palpable sort of “antique” vibe – rusty metal, smoky old woods, sharp herbal spirits. With just the right amount of late-1970’s mojo. There’s some evolution, too: it gets progressively warmer, gentler, powderier, less dry and bitter and a bit smoother and smoky-sweeter, with vetiver and herbs creating a sort of “powdery barbershop” mood. Nina Ricci’s Phileas is maybe a distant relative of this, mostly for the same bold herbal-spicy vein and a very similar sort of “rusty” feel – Phileas is more complex than this, but I think they’ve something in common.

So that’s it, a very old-school, refined yet quite “rugged”, extremely vibrant and very natural-smelling gentleman’s scent with nothing wrong in it – it smells just very good, period. Maybe not overly exciting, but truly impeccable, with solid materials (juniper and vetiver especially!) and a totally neat composition. Very “vintage”, and probably a bit dated for many fans of today’s Creed’s offerings, but definitely a nice option for all fans of classic masculine stuff (nothing macho, but definitely a “virile” blend). By the way, by “vintage” and “dated” I don’t mean generic or boring, though: it’s actually quite of a “statement” scent, due to its metallic-smoky-spicy edginess and sharpness which creates a dark, “raw” vein brilliantly contrasting with its subtle, warm Oriental sweeter side. Extremely versatile as well, it projects quite good without getting too obtrusive. Totally recommended – again, not at full vintage prices though: it’s good, even very good, but not a Holy Grail.

7,5-8/10
06th April, 2016
Baie de Genievere is a lost gem from the classic Creeds that is very much underrated. To me this one defines elegance, masculinity, and classiness. While there are several notes listed for BDG, only three of them stood out: cinnamon, juniper berries, and vetiver. The other notes were more subtle and remained largely in the background during the entirety of the scent but nonetheless contributed to enhancing the overall richness of the fragrance. Upon application, I got a huge a blast of sweet cinnamon with traces of short-lived bergamot the helped brightened the opening a bit. The cinnamon will stick around into the heart where it’s met by juniper berry and clove notes. The juniper berries brings out an herbal/medicine aroma to the scent. The clove, although not a dominating note here, helps add a subdued spicy twist to the scent. As a couple of other reviewers have mentioned the cinnamon and juniper berry notes creates a barbershop smell and I could see that. At the base both notes of vetiver and ambergris are introduced. This kind of vetiver detected in BDG is rather earthy and woody which gives a woody dry-green finish to the scent. The ambergris, although more subdued, contributed to the classic creed drydown. Longevity and silage are great, with 6-8 of longevity and above average silage for the first 3-4 hours before staying closer to the skin. Given that it’s from Creed’s EDT line, it’s quite dense and potent. With that said cooler weather conditions is more ideal for BDG. The best occasions to wear this would be on special occasions where either formal or semi-formal attire is necessary. As I said previously, this scent defines elegance. I personally consider BDG one of the better fragrances from their EDT line and a bottle worth owning if one is into classic Creeds. BDG is a wonderful scent that is definitely worth trying.

04th May, 2015
Just received a sample from a fellow ebaye generous enough to send some. So, I am in love with BdG; a world of difference than that of BdP; I get woodsy, light, syrupy sweet-this fragrance reminds me of MB Rogart in a sweet syrupy kinda way, although Rogart has a bit more punch. That's not to say BdG has less punch, it's punch is different. BdG packs a huge Polo masculine bite in the very beginning and if impatient you will dislike and disregard this gem before giving this a few moments to settle into something really nice!!

As I sit and sniff with my wife, she suggests light, woodsy, sweet/syrupy even powdery mixture, she also mentioned that this would work for a neutral audience marketing to/for both sexes, maybe 25-35 age group. I look forward to getting my 35 yr old hands on a bottle soon!!!
21st February, 2015
This is definitely a unique pleasant scent. It starts out with a dry toasty berry smell and there is a spiciness I think can be attributed to the cinnamon leaves but the toasty berry smell dominates. The clove is less powerful but does help the berry scent. As it dries down the vetiver increases, and freshens things up along with the warmth of ambergris.
23rd November, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

This is juniper berry meltdown right from the start! Way potent and hardly diluted by any other distracting notes. When the cinnamon appears, it's hot and dry, and its combination with the juniper makes an accord that's oddly suggestive of clean hospital bandages! Baie de Genievre is a spare, tough, and unyielding fragrance that walks right in, stares you in the eye, and sits without blinking for quite some time. Baie de Genievre has often been called "formal." I actually find it distant, and even a bit arrogant, traits it shares with Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. In other words, it's a great scent to to wear when you're out to impress or intimidate.

Baie de Genievre dries down in an interesting direction, with lots of earthy vetiver. In fact, after about two hours this smells like a straight vetiver to me, albeit a very fine one. I wish there were more going on in the base here, and I lose interest once the vetiver has come to dominate. That aside, this is a remarkably dignified scent that oozes quality. I can recommend it heartily for business wear and formal dress occasions.
10th June, 2014
numcks Show all reviews
Slightly ginny juniper, hint of barbershop bay, warm cinnamon and clove, and a woody base with a hint of vetiver. Near perfect. Good formal frag, with a touch of edge and swagger.
01st November, 2013
A throwback to when there was a thing called a 'masculine' fragrance. This isn't a fresh aquatic, no oud or incense. It's simply a great smelling fragrance a man can feel like a man wearing. As with mostly all the creed fragrances, it's very natural smelling. This blend of cinnamon leaves, juniper, and vetiver is absolutely stunning. It has a fruity spicy vibe to it, it doesn't have huge staying power, but it's ok it lasts long enough. I hope creed goes back to making classy manly scents in the future. I mean their stuff is awesome now but outside of bdp, everything else in their lineup can be stolen by a wife or gf..
03rd March, 2013
An interesting one in Creed's pre-aquatic classic style.

It kicks off with an odd mix. Imagine Diptyque's Vinaigre du Toilette (actual vinegar seeped with herbs) mixed with a Creed-smelling lemony chypre. With time, as the vinegar smell fades, a rather sweaty B.O. stink comes through, along with some flowers. Soon, the herbal mix is joined by a vaguely evergreen dark smell, which I assume is the juniper berry after which this is named. Given some time, it dries down to a fairly standard chypre base (with no hint of Creed's usual ambrox - which would have gone a long way to give some much-needed richness and longevity), with a touch of lingering juniper berry and quite a bit of that sweaty smell left over.

Being an old Creed, it does all of this fairly quickly and doesn't last very long. I don't mind the short longevity, but the sweaty B.O. smell was fairly gross and felt unbalanced. As such, I give it a neutral rating. For a much better vinegary chypre, I'd suggest Molinard Homme I, which I just wore a few days ago and enjoyed much more.
28th December, 2012
rbaker Show all reviews
This a truly versatile scent. The herbal-fruity Juniper Berry top sets the scene - dry but fruity, followed by the cinnamon acidic middle note.  The Creed Vetiver in the drydown is a classic, nothing extraordinary but pleasant and agreeable.  A formal touch but not stuffy in its aroma, I wear this to a semi- formal dinner as well as a psychoanalytic University Seminar - Lacan would have worn this!  A great balanced but unconventional fragrance.
11th April, 2012
I had forgotten how "barbershoppy" the opening is on this one, with moderately sweet but very sharp spices (and unfortunately the alcohol really smells strong in this one). It's got a little lemon and lavender, but it's mostly bold cinnamon and nutmeg, with the bright herbal note of the juniper cutting through it. I'm not sure if they've added just a trace of vanilla, but something that's in here right from the very top notes acts as a slightly sweet, smoothing influence over the spices, keeping them in check. It's very dusty in spite of how resinously sweet it is, and gets more medicinal as the base wears on. The base is frankly disappointing compared to the great top notes. I can see why people place this on the spectrum between Epicea and BdP...I'd say this is more convincingly woody than the super-weak former, but doesn't get as heavy into florals as the latter. What bothers me is that there is a plastic-ness to it all, almost like slightly burnt insulation; I'm sure incense fans would just say it's incense, but it doesn't quite sit right with me because it's unpleasantly smoky and burnt. Arguably reminiscent of a roaring fireplace perhaps.
04th November, 2011

For those who love the House of Creed, but dislike the current and somewhat formulaic trend of a lot of the Millesimes (codeword 'fresh'), this fragrance should do wonders! Indeed, Baie de Genievre is firmly entrenched in the 'old Creed' period, if we might term it as such. And as a result, it is composed in the somewhat astringently eccentric style of the older Creeds, aka the Eau de Toilette range. Whenever I try to describe this fragrance to someone, I often say that it is a cross between its predecessor Epicea and its successor Bois du Portugal, in that all three share a similarly distinct woody and spicy character. However, Baie de Genievre differs from Epicea in that it lacks the overarching pine note of Epicea. It is similar to Epicea by way of its use of spices (clove in particular), and the coniferously-tinged aroma of the titular juniper berry found within also makes it similar to Epicea's pine-dominant aroma. It is similar to Bois du Portugal because of its Old World masculine qualities and strong personality, though it is different because I find Baie de Genievre to exhibit more of a sweetness and a slightly more 'earthy' quality than BdP. I wholeheartedly agree with others on here who say that Baie de Genievre is one of the most underrated Creeds. Its spicy and somewhat barbershop-esque character speak volumes to those who afford it the time, and provide a somewhat nostalgic retreat to an era long past. Very different from the modern Millesimes, but much more rewarding than them in many aspects (as Acier Aluminium, Epicea, Vetiver, and company are).
30th May, 2011 (last edited: 05th June, 2011)
Baie de Genièvre Feuilles de Canneliers

Top: Bergamot, cinnamon leaves
Mid: Clove, juniper berry
Base: Vetiver, ambergris

I think of this as an upper class Italian barbershop type scent. It opens with a great blast of juniper combined with lemon and of course, cinnamon; the citrus note is present throughout. The eventual drydown is upon a rich, wet vetiver and some soapy note that gives it its barbershop quality. A lot of people think it to be a cold weather scent. As someone who lives where it's basically 65*F all year round, I think it works quite well when it's warm, even hot, out.

This is truely one of my favorite Creeds and is shamefully underrated, especially among its rather pedestrian bretheren.
29th May, 2011
I like this barbershopesque fragrance for out of doors in the chilly, breezy Pacific Northwest on a sunny day. The refreshing juniper berry and cinnamon blend well with this environment. The fragrance starts out quite strong but after 10-20 minutes depending on temperature, it has died down enough to be just right and remains that way for several hours. To my nose, the fragrance is quite linear which is one reason why I chose it. I give it a thumbs up in a retro sort of way.

In this part of the country, it is easily a 9-10 month of the year fragrance, avoiding late July, August, and September when the weather finally heats up and dries out. If one lives essentially in doors, I'd use BdG during the coldest 6 months of the year.
17th April, 2011
Revised review.
Good, but not compelling.
To me, this scent plays it a bit too safe. I keep wanting it to be more daring and assertive, more crisp and more coniferous, more lively....
The scent starts with a good aromatic note. Suave and rich, suggests juniper bark more than berries. Then there is a somewhat sweet woody spice from the cinnamon leaves. This is more languid and less intense than cinnamon bark. The scent has a round texture. At times it seems soapy, even suggesting Ivory bar soap. The dry-down is quite woody and a bit powdery.
A pleasant scent, languid and rich in the Creed style.
21st February, 2011 (last edited: 30th September, 2014)
Scents like this are the reason I hold the House of Creed in high esteem, despite their ennervatingly faux history. Baie de Genièvre Feuilles de Canneliers is not as complex as its long full name suggests, but indeed, basically juniper and cinnamon moderately embellished and providing a perfect marriage of nature and culture. In fact, this fragance is the perfect choice for chopping wood in front of your log cabin - dressed in a bespoke tuxedo. But fear not, it also works as a classic barbershop scent, though the quality and the composition take it far beyond run-of-the-mill products of this kind. Impeccable and unique, it conveys a message of style and gentility with no haughtiness or pretension. For once I would thus suggest to proceed with ungentlemanly haste to procure this elixier, before it follows Vintage Tabarôme and so many others in becoming a ghost of fragrance past.
21st February, 2011
This refreshing scent reminds me with acres and acres and acres of pine trees
in the Bavarian Forest the Juniper berries transport to a vision of a medieval germanic knight like in those
wagnarian dramas where he plege his love for the fair haired maiden he loves and he promised the'll will be together in union right after the crusade of 1189 in palestine. so he placed a weath of juniper on her long
golden locks and with heavy hearts
and tears he kisses his beloved on the cheek and rode off. so she slowly
walked into a beautiful cathedral
knealed in front of the blessed mother took off her juniper weath and prayed for his safe return.

or Karin from the VirginSpring before
her innocence was lost.
you'll find a sense of purity back to
nature a cleasing of all the stresses in the moderen world in this scent.
14th October, 2010
Eroma Show all reviews
Such an underrated Creed.

This fragrance is so unique. If there's a "barbershop"-style Creed, this is it. It is old-fashioned and classy. It has a shaving-soap aura... a spicy-sweet contrast that is extremely successful.

warning though: don't over-apply. One or two sprays is more than enough. You will catch a whiff of it every couple minutes and be in bliss. Spray more than two sprays, and it will be a chokingly cloying powerhouse that you will quickly tire of. Don't disrespect this masterpiece by applying it like it's Silver Mountain Water. It's a whole 'nother beast. You have to appreciate the old-style world of fragrance to like this. anyone who would be caught dead in Armani Code... just keep walkin!!

for me, this is a special occasion scent. it is too exotic/unique to be worn as an everyday-er. i enjoy wearing this during all seasons. it is so unique that you associate it with some of the places you first wear it. I first wore it at my parents house (a horse farm) and now it's my signature scent for that place.

careful with Baie de Genievre.... it's emotional. and a true classic in the world of perfumery.
26th August, 2010
A little bit of Paco Rabanne and a little bit Christmas tree room spray by Glade and there you have it: Baie de Genievre. Feels terribly dated. Maybe something a 70-80 year-old would wear to a holiday party. Smells of the forest the way those tiny tree fresheners you hang from the car mirror smell of the forest. Why Creed keeps this around is beyond me.
24th August, 2010
Love this one, smells like a decadent Christmas candle. I wear this for the holidays as it gets me in the holiday mood.
17th July, 2010
I love it, casually regal.

Creed's note breakdown:
Top: Bergamot, cinnamon leaves
Middle: Clove, juniper berry
Base: Vetiver, ambergris

This one comes across a bit differently in different amounts to me. The first time I used my bottle, only a bit came out (probably half an inch in diameter circle of juice) on my wrist. That one was difficult to break down as the scent's opening was so weak and close to my skin (with so little sprayed from an un-broken in spritzer), and the ending was sweet and earthy. It was pretty good, I wasn't too bonkers for it. Then, today (though several weeks back by the time this is actually posted), I sprayed it again and got enough juice from the quality atomizer to cover my entire wrist (I was impressed.) This time, it opened with a sharp, fresh bergamot opening that barely took any time to go away - that's all for the bergamot, folks. Then, it went into cinnamon leaves - beautifully complex. Not sweet by any means, but not quite bitter, either. A very pleasant couple of hours. As it progressed, it seemed to me to skip the middle notes (or they were so subtle the cinnamon overpowered them), so I didn't detect much anything from the cloves or juniper berries. Then it went into the base... whereas the first time was sweet and earthy, this didn't have the sweetness, and was a more smooth, earthy, kind of woodsy aroma. The ambergris really comes through more with less juice, I suppose. I love the scent, it's wonderful, it's quality, and it hits right home with my fragrance tastes.
29th June, 2010
I had to smell this one again and to be honest I do not like the smell at all. It lacks any depth, too light and too bland Vetiver with old grass or something. I would not buy this at all. Definitely not one of Creed's best.
23rd March, 2010 (last edited: 01st April, 2010)
Perfectly dignified, classy, masculine, and sometimes formal. Best worn in seasons other than Summer.
Not as timelessly versatile as GIT. Not as perfectly Holy Grail-esque as Acier Aluminum. Not as soapy & long lasting as Original Vetiver. Because of this, it might not be a "masterpiece" in terms of CREED; but it IS excellent.
Decent projection & above average longevity. I am amazed by how something so seemingly simple presents as so richly complex. I think it's worthy of 5 stars.
28th January, 2010
I like it. You gotta smell this one on the skin, as it's a heavy scent. The basenotes of orientals don't seem to come off of paper that wel.

It actually smells like a slightly toned down Serge Lutens, with sweet woods similar to the ones used in Santal Blanc or Miel de Bois. It's not as bombastic as Lutens scents though

Not bad.
21st January, 2010
The top notes are similar to other Creeds...not sure which though. Sort of a vetiver with slight citrus. It is supposedly 'juniper berry,' but I have no idea what that smells like. It's very hard to describe the top notes of this one. But they are relatively pleasant. The cinnamon leaves aren't very distinct...as the normal cinnamon smell actually comes from bark, not from leaves. They could have just said "leaves" and had it been equally as accurate. Vetiver base.
23rd November, 2009
Baie de Genievre is an outstanding fragrance from Creed. As has been made clear by previous reviewers, it smells great.

The juniper berries are crisp and aromatic, and lend Baie de Genievre gravitas without heaviness.

The cinnamon leaves are warm and deep, and I think that there must be other spices behind them. As I detect an animalic note early on in the development of the fragrance, I wonder if there might be a bit of cumin in Baie de Genievre.

The animalic note lasts right to the end of the vetiver, and it isn’t the normal Creed ambergris. It is a sexier and less sweet animalic note than ambergris.

The vetiver in Baie de Genievre takes turns being nutty, earthy, and woody, and is one of my favourite vetivers. Baie de Genievre is worth sampling for anyone who is looking for a lovely vetiver fragrance.

Longevity is very good and sillage is reasonable.

I will always have a bottle of Baie de Genievre on hand.

14th October, 2009
Very pleasant scent with a beginning that is reminiscent of Bois du Portugal (more pungent) and Acier Aluminium. However, it quickly evolves to a musky, woody and slightly sweet smell that develops over several hours. While not the most distinctive of Creed fragrances it is certainly one of the best. To me, it is a nice balance between the heavy and masculine and the light and androgynous (currently much in favor).
01st September, 2009
neal Show all reviews
Creed's Baie de Genievre Feuilles de Canneliers. Formal. Sophisticated. Classy. Refined. Masculine. Sexy. Can't ask too much more than that from a fragrance.
01st July, 2009 (last edited: 04th October, 2009)