Reviews of Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Find out more about Baie de Genièvre by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

This is juniper berry meltdown right from the start! Way potent and hardly diluted by any other distracting notes. When the cinnamon appears, it's hot and dry, and its combination with the juniper makes an accord that's oddly suggestive of clean hospital bandages! Baie de Genievre is a spare, tough, and unyielding fragrance that walks right in, stares you in the eye, and sits without blinking for quite some time. Baie de Genievre has often been called "formal." I actually find it distant, and even a bit arrogant, traits it shares with Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. In other words, it's a great scent to to wear when you're out to impress or intimidate.

Baie de Genievre dries down in an interesting direction, with lots of earthy vetiver. In fact, after about two hours this smells like a straight vetiver to me, albeit a very fine one. I wish there were more going on in the base here, and I lose interest once the vetiver has come to dominate. That aside, this is a remarkably dignified scent that oozes quality. I can recommend it heartily for business wear and formal dress occasions.

10th June, 2014

numcks's avatar

Slightly ginny juniper, hint of barbershop bay, warm cinnamon and clove, and a woody base with a hint of vetiver. Near perfect. Good formal frag, with a touch of edge and swagger.

01st November, 2013

Preston H's avatar

A throwback to when there was a thing called a 'masculine' fragrance. This isn't a fresh aquatic, no oud or incense. It's simply a great smelling fragrance a man can feel like a man wearing. As with mostly all the creed fragrances, it's very natural smelling. This blend of cinnamon leaves, juniper, and vetiver is absolutely stunning. It has a fruity spicy vibe to it, it doesn't have huge staying power, but it's ok it lasts long enough. I hope creed goes back to making classy manly scents in the future. I mean their stuff is awesome now but outside of bdp, everything else in their lineup can be stolen by a wife or gf..

03 March, 2013

rogalal's avatar

An interesting one in Creed's pre-aquatic classic style.

It kicks off with an odd mix. Imagine Diptyque's Vinaigre du Toilette (actual vinegar seeped with herbs) mixed with a Creed-smelling lemony chypre. With time, as the vinegar smell fades, a rather sweaty B.O. stink comes through, along with some flowers. Soon, the herbal mix is joined by a vaguely evergreen dark smell, which I assume is the juniper berry after which this is named. Given some time, it dries down to a fairly standard chypre base (with no hint of Creed's usual ambrox - which would have gone a long way to give some much-needed richness and longevity), with a touch of lingering juniper berry and quite a bit of that sweaty smell left over.

Being an old Creed, it does all of this fairly quickly and doesn't last very long. I don't mind the short longevity, but the sweaty B.O. smell was fairly gross and felt unbalanced. As such, I give it a neutral rating. For a much better vinegary chypre, I'd suggest Molinard Homme I, which I just wore a few days ago and enjoyed much more.

28 December, 2012

rbaker's avatar

This a truly versatile scent. The herbal-fruity Juniper Berry top sets the scene - dry but fruity, followed by the cinnamon acidic middle note.  The Creed Vetiver in the drydown is a classic, nothing extraordinary but pleasant and agreeable.  A formal touch but not stuffy in its aroma, I wear this to a semi- formal dinner as well as a psychoanalytic University Seminar - Lacan would have worn this!  A great balanced but unconventional fragrance.

11th April, 2012

Redbeard's avatar

I had forgotten how "barbershoppy" the opening is on this one, with moderately sweet but very sharp spices (and unfortunately the alcohol really smells strong in this one). It's got a little lemon and lavender, but it's mostly bold cinnamon and nutmeg, with the bright herbal note of the juniper cutting through it. I'm not sure if they've added just a trace of vanilla, but something that's in here right from the very top notes acts as a slightly sweet, smoothing influence over the spices, keeping them in check. It's very dusty in spite of how resinously sweet it is, and gets more medicinal as the base wears on. The base is frankly disappointing compared to the great top notes. I can see why people place this on the spectrum between Epicea and BdP...I'd say this is more convincingly woody than the super-weak former, but doesn't get as heavy into florals as the latter. What bothers me is that there is a plastic-ness to it all, almost like slightly burnt insulation; I'm sure incense fans would just say it's incense, but it doesn't quite sit right with me because it's unpleasantly smoky and burnt. Arguably reminiscent of a roaring fireplace perhaps.

04 November, 2011

Mike's avatar

For those who love the House of Creed, but dislike the current and somewhat formulaic trend of a lot of the Millesimes (codeword 'fresh'), this fragrance should do wonders! Indeed, Baie de Genievre is firmly entrenched in the 'old Creed' period, if we might term it as such. And as a result, it is composed in the somewhat astringently eccentric style of the older Creeds, aka the Eau de Toilette range. Whenever I try to describe this fragrance to someone, I often say that it is a cross between its predecessor Epicea and its successor Bois du Portugal, in that all three share a similarly distinct woody and spicy character. However, Baie de Genievre differs from Epicea in that it lacks the overarching pine note of Epicea. It is similar to Epicea by way of its use of spices (clove in particular), and the coniferously-tinged aroma of the titular juniper berry found within also makes it similar to Epicea's pine-dominant aroma. It is similar to Bois du Portugal because of its Old World masculine qualities and strong personality, though it is different because I find Baie de Genievre to exhibit more of a sweetness and a slightly more 'earthy' quality than BdP. I wholeheartedly agree with others on here who say that Baie de Genievre is one of the most underrated Creeds. Its spicy and somewhat barbershop-esque character speak volumes to those who afford it the time, and provide a somewhat nostalgic retreat to an era long past. Very different from the modern Millesimes, but much more rewarding than them in many aspects (as Acier Aluminium, Epicea, Vetiver, and company are).

30th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2011)

Aaron01's avatar

Baie de Genièvre Feuilles de Canneliers

Top: Bergamot, cinnamon leaves
    Mid: Clove, juniper berry
    Base: Vetiver, ambergris

I think of this as an upper class Italian barbershop type scent. It opens with a great blast of juniper combined with lemon and of course, cinnamon; the citrus note is present throughout. The eventual drydown is upon a rich, wet vetiver and some soapy note that gives it its barbershop quality. A lot of people think it to be a cold weather scent. As someone who lives where it's basically 65*F all year round, I think it works quite well when it's warm, even hot, out.

This is truely one of my favorite Creeds and is shamefully underrated, especially among its rather pedestrian bretheren.

29 May, 2011

Daryl J.'s avatar

I like this barbershopesque fragrance for out of doors in the chilly, breezy Pacific Northwest on a sunny day. The refreshing juniper berry and cinnamon blend well with this environment. The fragrance starts out quite strong but after 10-20 minutes depending on temperature, it has died down enough to be just right and remains that way for several hours. To my nose, the fragrance is quite linear which is one reason why I chose it. I give it a thumbs up in a retro sort of way.

In this part of the country, it is easily a 9-10 month of the year fragrance, avoiding late July, August, and September when the weather finally heats up and dries out. If one lives essentially in doors, I'd use BdG during the coldest 6 months of the year.

17 April, 2011

odysseusm's avatar

Good, but not outstanding.
    To me, this scent plays it a bit too safe. I keep wanting it to be more daring and assertive... it fails to do that.
    The scent starts with an aromatic note that is just the tiniest bit coniferous and medicinal. I think the juniper could be so much more interesting and developed. What I smell of it, I like... but I want more. There are hints of a tonic, sprightly note full of energy. But that quickly is subsumed beneath the Creed style (rich, languid, a touch of sweetness and fairly dense). Cinnamon leaf adds a spicy note. The dry-down is a cedarwood note with a hint of vetiver. Don't overapply.
    To reiterate: this is a good scent. However, it doesn't wow me.

21st February, 2011

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Scents like this are the reason I hold the House of Creed in high esteem, despite their ennervatingly faux history. Baie de Genièvre Feuilles de Canneliers is not as complex as its long full name suggests, but indeed, basically juniper and cinnamon moderately embellished and providing a perfect marriage of nature and culture. In fact, this fragance is the perfect choice for chopping wood in front of your log cabin - dressed in a bespoke tuxedo. But fear not, it also works as a classic barbershop scent, though the quality and the composition take it far beyond run-of-the-mill products of this kind. Impeccable and unique, it conveys a message of style and gentility with no haughtiness or pretension. For once I would thus suggest to proceed with ungentlemanly haste to procure this elixier, before it follows Vintage Tabarôme and so many others in becoming a ghost of fragrance past.

21st February, 2011

Weimar27's avatar

This refreshing scent reminds me with acres and acres and acres of pine trees
    in the Bavarian Forest the Juniper berries transport to a vision of a medieval germanic knight like in those
    wagnarian dramas where he plege his love for the fair haired maiden he loves and he promised the'll will be together in union right after the crusade of 1189 in palestine. so he placed a weath of juniper on her long
    golden locks and with heavy hearts
    and tears he kisses his beloved on the cheek and rode off. so she slowly
    walked into a beautiful cathedral
    knealed in front of the blessed mother took off her juniper weath and prayed for his safe return.

or Karin from the VirginSpring before
    her innocence was lost.
    you'll find a sense of purity back to
    nature a cleasing of all the stresses in the moderen world in this scent.

14 October, 2010

Eroma's avatar

Such an underrated Creed.

This fragrance is so unique. If there's a "barbershop"-style Creed, this is it. It is old-fashioned and classy. It has a shaving-soap aura... a spicy-sweet contrast that is extremely successful.

warning though: don't over-apply. One or two sprays is more than enough. You will catch a whiff of it every couple minutes and be in bliss. Spray more than two sprays, and it will be a chokingly cloying powerhouse that you will quickly tire of. Don't disrespect this masterpiece by applying it like it's Silver Mountain Water. It's a whole 'nother beast. You have to appreciate the old-style world of fragrance to like this. anyone who would be caught dead in Armani Code... just keep walkin!!

for me, this is a special occasion scent. it is too exotic/unique to be worn as an everyday-er. i enjoy wearing this during all seasons. it is so unique that you associate it with some of the places you first wear it. I first wore it at my parents house (a horse farm) and now it's my signature scent for that place.

careful with Baie de Genievre.... it's emotional. and a true classic in the world of perfumery.

26 August, 2010

MysteryBuff40's avatar

A little bit of Paco Rabanne and a little bit Christmas tree room spray by Glade and there you have it: Baie de Genievre. Feels terribly dated. Maybe something a 70-80 year-old would wear to a holiday party. Smells of the forest the way those tiny tree fresheners you hang from the car mirror smell of the forest. Why Creed keeps this around is beyond me.

24 August, 2010

The Masked Armpit's avatar

Love this one, smells like a decadent Christmas candle. I wear this for the holidays as it gets me in the holiday mood.

17 July, 2010

D.Sprad's avatar

I love it, casually regal.

Creed's note breakdown:
    Top: Bergamot, cinnamon leaves
    Middle: Clove, juniper berry
    Base: Vetiver, ambergris

This one comes across a bit differently in different amounts to me. The first time I used my bottle, only a bit came out (probably half an inch in diameter circle of juice) on my wrist. That one was difficult to break down as the scent's opening was so weak and close to my skin (with so little sprayed from an un-broken in spritzer), and the ending was sweet and earthy. It was pretty good, I wasn't too bonkers for it. Then, today (though several weeks back by the time this is actually posted), I sprayed it again and got enough juice from the quality atomizer to cover my entire wrist (I was impressed.) This time, it opened with a sharp, fresh bergamot opening that barely took any time to go away - that's all for the bergamot, folks. Then, it went into cinnamon leaves - beautifully complex. Not sweet by any means, but not quite bitter, either. A very pleasant couple of hours. As it progressed, it seemed to me to skip the middle notes (or they were so subtle the cinnamon overpowered them), so I didn't detect much anything from the cloves or juniper berries. Then it went into the base... whereas the first time was sweet and earthy, this didn't have the sweetness, and was a more smooth, earthy, kind of woodsy aroma. The ambergris really comes through more with less juice, I suppose. I love the scent, it's wonderful, it's quality, and it hits right home with my fragrance tastes.

29 June, 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

I had to smell this one again and to be honest I do not like the smell at all. It lacks any depth, too light and too bland Vetiver with old grass or something. I would not buy this at all. Definitely not one of Creed's best.

23 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st April, 2010)

sjohnjay's avatar

Perfectly dignified, classy, masculine, and sometimes formal. Best worn in seasons other than Summer.
    Not as timelessly versatile as GIT. Not as perfectly Holy Grail-esque as Acier Aluminum. Not as soapy & long lasting as Original Vetiver. Because of this, it might not be a "masterpiece" in terms of CREED; but it IS excellent.
    Decent projection & above average longevity. I am amazed by how something so seemingly simple presents as so richly complex. I think it's worthy of 5 stars.

28 January, 2010

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I like it. You gotta smell this one on the skin, as it's a heavy scent. The basenotes of orientals don't seem to come off of paper that wel.

It actually smells like a slightly toned down Serge Lutens, with sweet woods similar to the ones used in Santal Blanc or Miel de Bois. It's not as bombastic as Lutens scents though

Not bad.

21st January, 2010

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

The top notes are similar to other Creeds...not sure which though. Sort of a vetiver with slight citrus. It is supposedly 'juniper berry,' but I have no idea what that smells like. It's very hard to describe the top notes of this one. But they are relatively pleasant. The cinnamon leaves aren't very distinct...as the normal cinnamon smell actually comes from bark, not from leaves. They could have just said "leaves" and had it been equally as accurate. Vetiver base.

23 November, 2009

djolney's avatar

Baie de Genievre is an outstanding fragrance from Creed. As has been made clear by previous reviewers, it smells great.

The juniper berries are crisp and aromatic, and lend Baie de Genievre gravitas without heaviness.

The cinnamon leaves are warm and deep, and I think that there must be other spices behind them. As I detect an animalic note early on in the development of the fragrance, I wonder if there might be a bit of cumin in Baie de Genievre.

The animalic note lasts right to the end of the vetiver, and it isn’t the normal Creed ambergris. It is a sexier and less sweet animalic note than ambergris.

The vetiver in Baie de Genievre takes turns being nutty, earthy, and woody, and is one of my favourite vetivers. Baie de Genievre is worth sampling for anyone who is looking for a lovely vetiver fragrance.

Longevity is very good and sillage is reasonable.

I will always have a bottle of Baie de Genievre on hand.

14 October, 2009

Quequeg's avatar

Very pleasant scent with a beginning that is reminiscent of Bois du Portugal (more pungent) and Acier Aluminium. However, it quickly evolves to a musky, woody and slightly sweet smell that develops over several hours. While not the most distinctive of Creed fragrances it is certainly one of the best. To me, it is a nice balance between the heavy and masculine and the light and androgynous (currently much in favor).

01st September, 2009

neal's avatar

Creed's Baie de Genievre Feuilles de Canneliers. Formal. Sophisticated. Classy. Refined. Masculine. Sexy. Can't ask too much more than that from a fragrance.

01st July, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2009)

glitteralex's avatar

I tested this blind-all I knew was that it was a Creed scent. The initial impression was rather unisex-couldn't pinpoint whether it was going in a masculine or feminine direction. It's the cinnamon that caused the confusion, I see now. After 10 minutes I had a flashback to my grandfather's pomade-but instead of the mineral oil base, it had a softer, beeswax note. A pleasant olfactory trip. The drydown is very classic, sort of stodgy Newport. As a woman, I would not wear this, but find it interesting. It is very clearly an older style scent, I would say late 1940s-early 60s, although I know it was done much later. Good longevity, as all Creeds have on me.

21st April, 2009

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Yes, this is one of the "old style" (read really well crafted ) Creeds.

Could be worn every day of the week with any style of clothing, provided you don't mind getting compliments galore. Probably best in cooler weather.

Yes it's a tango between Juniper Berry and Cinnamon Leaves with an excellent Vetiver base. One caveat, you must like Spicy Scents!.

13 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 August, 2011)

jenson's avatar

India India

Creed Baie de Genievere: intense note of juniper berry greets the wearer with sheer intensity. intial thoughts would be..hmm, dated? well, subsequent wearing shrugs of any such thoughts and you simply get addicted to this one. dark, broodingly intense notes of berry seemingly flows in to delicate and lovely accord of cinnamon leaves which just opens up the midnotes with hints of spices. the accord is definitely dated and has that trademark barbershop colognes smell to it, only this ones mighty potent with raw amber embracing the accords with hint of musk and loads of vetiver. lovely scent which may not impress rightaway, but will slowly work into your olfactory appetite. Bon apetite! (perfect for winters and spring)

06 February, 2009

Kaern's avatar

I love this but hate Bois de Portugal, so wouldn't call it overtly masculine. The notes have been outlined previously and I find the berries and spices a winning formula here. I think the combination of notes could have been awkward to pull off but Creed deliver the goods wonderfully. This is an edt so was wary of longevity, but lasts all day on me. I am beginning to change my mind about the Creed range -- they do have some outstanding fragrances.

13 October, 2008

mister_lance's avatar

Very interesting! I think the person who said "smells like the inside of a pencil sharpener" had it right, almost. It is such a complex scent, in my opinion. Mix the pencil sharpener with Juniper and I think that'd be the best way to explain it, but really, I think it goes a bit deeper than that.

02 August, 2008

scentsitivity's avatar

Baie de Genièvre (BdG) opens on me as a battle between two notes: juniper berry and cinnamon leaves. They fade in and out; sometimes the cinnamon dominates, then the juniper, back and forth. Sometimes they are superimposed upon each other and when they do I get the impression of an animalic accord: or as my son described it to me, “body odor”. It is interesting to me that only one other reviewer noted anything animalic. As the battle progresses, the juniper eventually wins. Quirky and different, yet simple - a Creed that pushes the envelope! I get decent longevity out of this, a non-millesime Creed.

While I like BdG quite a bit, it isn’t something I would wear frequently. Indeed, I think I would wear it just a few days a year. It would be nice if it came in 15 ml ‘mini’ bottles or at most an ounce.

I also feel passionate and romantic every time I wear BdG: it puts me in the mood! And even though I don't consider BdG to be feminine, per se, I think I would enjoy smelling it on a woman.

One word of caution: I have bought both samples and a bottle of this that were not at their freshest. Each of the notes has greater weight in this relative simple fragrance, so the degradation was pronounced. Make sure you are getting fresh BdG should you choose to buy it.

28 May, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Juniper berries have a tendency to smell really horrible to me but when paired with other things it can be quite lovely. This does not work on my skin at all. I have tried a juniper shaving cream by L'Occitane before and juniper stings the skin.

26 May, 2008