Neutral Reviews of Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Find out more about Baie de Genièvre by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rogalal's avatar

An interesting one in Creed's pre-aquatic classic style.

It kicks off with an odd mix. Imagine Diptyque's Vinaigre du Toilette (actual vinegar seeped with herbs) mixed with a Creed-smelling lemony chypre. With time, as the vinegar smell fades, a rather sweaty B.O. stink comes through, along with some flowers. Soon, the herbal mix is joined by a vaguely evergreen dark smell, which I assume is the juniper berry after which this is named. Given some time, it dries down to a fairly standard chypre base (with no hint of Creed's usual ambrox - which would have gone a long way to give some much-needed richness and longevity), with a touch of lingering juniper berry and quite a bit of that sweaty smell left over.

Being an old Creed, it does all of this fairly quickly and doesn't last very long. I don't mind the short longevity, but the sweaty B.O. smell was fairly gross and felt unbalanced. As such, I give it a neutral rating. For a much better vinegary chypre, I'd suggest Molinard Homme I, which I just wore a few days ago and enjoyed much more.

28 December, 2012

Redbeard's avatar

I had forgotten how "barbershoppy" the opening is on this one, with moderately sweet but very sharp spices (and unfortunately the alcohol really smells strong in this one). It's got a little lemon and lavender, but it's mostly bold cinnamon and nutmeg, with the bright herbal note of the juniper cutting through it. I'm not sure if they've added just a trace of vanilla, but something that's in here right from the very top notes acts as a slightly sweet, smoothing influence over the spices, keeping them in check. It's very dusty in spite of how resinously sweet it is, and gets more medicinal as the base wears on. The base is frankly disappointing compared to the great top notes. I can see why people place this on the spectrum between Epicea and BdP...I'd say this is more convincingly woody than the super-weak former, but doesn't get as heavy into florals as the latter. What bothers me is that there is a plastic-ness to it all, almost like slightly burnt insulation; I'm sure incense fans would just say it's incense, but it doesn't quite sit right with me because it's unpleasantly smoky and burnt. Arguably reminiscent of a roaring fireplace perhaps.

04 November, 2011

mister_lance's avatar

Very interesting! I think the person who said "smells like the inside of a pencil sharpener" had it right, almost. It is such a complex scent, in my opinion. Mix the pencil sharpener with Juniper and I think that'd be the best way to explain it, but really, I think it goes a bit deeper than that.

02 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Juniper berries have a tendency to smell really horrible to me but when paired with other things it can be quite lovely. This does not work on my skin at all. I have tried a juniper shaving cream by L'Occitane before and juniper stings the skin.

26 May, 2008

alpine's avatar

England England

I don't dislike this one. Every time I wear it, it bangs me right back to the time when the barber used to have a board to put across the seat so he could get you high enough to cut! I'm quite surprised to find it's as late as the 1980s, to me it's more 50s. It's the smell that pervaded that barbers long ago. Lasts a long time on me.

03 April, 2007

An immediate whiff of juniper and spices. The spices are quite apparent in the mixture, particularly the cinnamon. It’s an enticing coniferous / cinnamon experience with neither the juniper nor the cinnamon dominating the accord. As refined as it is, Baie de Genièvre is a bit more aggressive than the usual Creed offering, but there is no doubt that this is a Creed. I like this interpretation. It’s quite energetic – almost has as much energy as Orange Spice. This juniper berry / cinnamon accord has loads of depth and character; however, the opening stays for too short of time. When the top accords have disappeared, what takes over is an excellent vetiver plus the typical Creed drydown. This base is excellent – as excellent as the top level of the fragrance. Unfortunately, the drydown has no more longevity than the top – forty-five minutes at the most for the entire fragrance. The accords of Baie de Genièvre are lively, refined, and sophisticated. But its longevity on my skin is unacceptable. Apparently others don’t have a longevity problem with it and I’m jealous of that. If your skin doesn’t eat it up, Baie de Genièvre is a great fragrance.

12 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2008)