Neutral Reviews of Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

A note or two is throwing off the harmony of this fragrance for me. A less is more approach might have worked better for my tastes.
02nd April, 2016 (last edited: 01st April, 2016)
Balenciaga pour Homme is like those movie stars which end their life wasted in misery, that make you think "what a lost chance". The opening is fantastic, a unique and avantgarde cornucopia of patchouli, tobacco, incense, herbal notes, soapy flowers (a realistic, dry soap, like Marseille' soap), dense resinous-caramel notes, rose, carnation, something boozy and animalic on the base (like civet or styrax), then vanilla. Really complex, dusty and masculine but also much sweet and plushy, even fresh in its peculiar way, a colourful breeze perfectly mixed with the base darkness of earthy-animalic notes. The incense note is woody and dusty (on the cedar side), beautifully enriched by spicy-resinous notes. In short a really peculiar, modern, vibrant opening, miles away from most of the clichés of masculine scents back then – less austere and dark than Italian fougères, more playful and warm than the classic Frenchies, a unique take on men's scent. But... "not everything turns out as it should". After a short span of time (within the first hour) it already starts "collapsing" here and there, it gets confused, becoming a messy soapy-spicy-resinous concoction, cloying and sweetish, with metallic and camphor nuances. It's like if all "good" notes were instantly replaced by their evil alter egos – or like if you accomplished a great painting and you pour alcohol on it by accident, and all colours melt and vanish away. A shame that makes this a discontinued scent we won't really miss.

5,5-6/10
26th July, 2014
I once wore this to a party at work and someone walked in and asked who had sprayed Black Flag in the room. I never wore it again. I liked the fragrance, but I did not want to suffer that kind of humiliation again. Perhaps too outre for its own good.
13th January, 2009

I agree with Trebor, I was immediately reminded of Kouros from the opening. This stuff is less potetn in that aspect and the drydown is very different, much more powdery lemon and dry woods. Good stuff if you like the smel and scednts with excellent longevity.
11th October, 2008
This has THE booziest opening I've ever encountered. It's probably banned at A.A. meetings.
I'm lying.
No, not about the opening. About my neutral rating.
This has got to be either a thumbs up or down, but you have to decide which.
If you like JHL, chances a you'll love this. On the other hand, if you feel you raided your grandmother's cabinet, stay away.

Especially if your grandmother was a patchouli addicted hippie.

This is Givenchy Gentleman falling down drunk at U.C. Berkeley.
28th September, 2008 (last edited: 29th April, 2012)
God wot! Thick spice inside my armour! Almost medieval fumes. Lash it on gently, knaves, for fear ye distress the damsels. (de Charlus).
15th August, 2005