Positive Reviews of Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

Find out more about Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

The opening displays bergamot and a wormwood-like note that soon sees labdanum added, before it turns greener in the drydown, with basil being more prominent. These phases combine a summery freshness with a chypre tone, especially when in the base a chypre-style patchouli component is added, but I get only a tiny touch of moss. Silage and projection are good, with an overall longevity of five hours. A summer scent, nothing earthshattering but solid.

18th February, 2014

Mysticman's avatar

Sacre Bleu!!! I can't believe the number of reviews calling this a "failed aquatic," or words to that effect. Mais non, mes amis, you have misunderstood! "Bleu marine" is the French term for the color known in English as "Navy Blue." Moreover, this fragrance was released in the mid-eighties, well before the popularity and glut of aquatic fragrances. Navy Blue is considered a neutral color that goes with everything --- classy, understated, and suitable for all occasions, and I think this is more what Bleu Marine's creators had in mind.

The scent itself seems to straddle the line between chypre and fougere, with a crisp citrus opening balanced by herbal and green notes. As it dries down, warm woody notes appear, mainly sandalwood, with patchouli, amber, and a hint of oakmoss, though not as much as we usually expect from a chypre. It does bear a resemblance to Halston Z-14, but Bleu Marine is lighter, with more emphasis on the citrus and green components than the warm woods of Z-14. Its intensity drops off rather quickly, leaving a subtle base that lasts surprisingly well. On my skin it doesn't get overly sweet or powdery, but retains a subtle warmth. It's light enough for business wear, yet complex enough for formal occasions --- much like the color it was named for --- and at least one woman has called it "subtly sexy."

It's a winner in my book!

30th March, 2011

RickieHK's avatar

Its a citrus with patchouli type mix scent wise. The latest bottle I had gotten had a good length of wear time about 8 hours if sprayed on your chest. Several women liked the scent and I don't mind it either. The only other scents thathave come close compliment wise with me are Devin(I no longer like it) and Aramis.

29th October, 2010

distortech's avatar

Well, I think this one is a great classic and it does not smell anywhere near cheap to me. I mean, this came out in 1986 people - an 80's scent that doesn't smell 80's is something to behold in my book!

IMO, it's fantastic and I LOVE to wear it. However, it could do with an extreme version updated to improve longevity, but otherwise, no complaints. :-)

18th July, 2008

pkf's avatar

Norway Norway

hmm, what are u people talking about? this frag is magical, and everytime im wearing this, i get tons of compliments.

how can u not like this one? its blue and fresh, a more masculine type of dk men or hugo dark blue

13th December, 2007

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

Good, marine-fresh with a touch of sweet notes and amber, but this is not something that I would buy and wear.

13th October, 2006

zenpiper's avatar

I like this stuff! Ordered some Knize Ten and a little vile of Bleu Marine was in the box. (I love samples). Yes, it's sweet and common but so what? If you wear this, you will definitely get comments from women. Reminds me of Halston Z-14. True, Bleu Marine is not (to me) aquatic in any way, but it's pleasant and fresh and good. Lasts well.

25th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 26th February, 2011)

ramin's avatar

This is a very good fresh cologne.

02nd August, 2005