Reviews of Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Emperorofscent's avatar
    Emperorofscent

The nose Annick Menardo, has a signature, rubber scent in most of her fragrances. If you smell bulgari black and fuel for life by diesel, and Lolita lempicka au Masculin, Jean paul's Kokorico, and boss bottled all her creations, they all have a dark Mystery burned rubber note. alone with a vanilla base synthetic vanilla base. This one Body Kouros is different it is Jean Paul Guiltier La Male with the Vanilla toned down.

I think it has a lot of sex appeal and it goes on soft on the skin 2 foot silage and a 5 hour lasting power. Then re apply which isn't a bad thing you get to experience the notes in order again which i love the opening and mid on this one. My take after owing Kouros for so long i love reaching for the Flanker that smell totally different than the original. and the bottle warrants attention. nicely done Annick.

29 March, 2014

Kol's avatar
    Kol

disgusting Horrible wouldnt wear it for nothing Threw it in the Bin

10th January, 2014

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

a blind buy that ended in the trash can..too sweet and nauseating to me, maybe it was the reformulation..after using up more than half bottle could not stand it any longer!

12 November, 2013

MrMookie's avatar
    MrMookie

Sensual Masterpiece

Very impressive ! I love Annick Menardo she is a true artist.

A very deep and mysterious scent with a tip n touch of freshness.

As said more here its not anything like the original! Its a totally new scent. I wish they named it : Taurus

Where Kouros is Grey n white this is brown and a bit green of the fresh eucalyptus.

This freshness is so distinct and little you barely notice it.

Body Kouros has this extra lucious edge in it. Where LLAM is licorice and goumand, cosy and cuddly , BK is sensual and daring a bit edgy as a hot macho man.

Wear it with confidence and women will pass you by with weakened knees ;-)

Its a great warm glowing manly scent ... Alluring and romantic ... Great choice!

5 stars!

Pros: Alluring,sensual, exotic and erotic
    Cons:

25 August, 2013

teadot's avatar
    teadot

"GORILLAS IN THE MIST."

Muscular, sexual, animalistic heat, cooled down by eucalyptus.

Not for kiddies. Body Kouros has an omni present and misty sillage in cooler weather. It's character suggests adult sensuality in those conditions: Winter air teams with the cool vapors of eucalyptus, to hold a brawny benzoin hostage...A touch kinky. But in warmer temperatures, the projection turns up the volume, provoking the beast, within. No longer suggesting... It goes Primal, with it's ardent, resiny sweetness.

Either way, this one pushed one of my already favorite perfumers, Annick Menardo, to the TOP of my list.

Provocative, and brilliant !

( and I'm not just talking about Annick. )

03 August, 2013 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2014)

twinpeaker's avatar
    twinpeaker

Not what I was expecting

BK is NOT what I was expecting. I was expecting a "fresher" more marine version of Kouros, with the old Kouros DNA still detectable. However, this is a completely new scent, not really a flanker. I am surprised I didn't read more of this in the other reviews, but to me it is very similar Bvlgari Black and JPG Le Male. Very sweet, androgynous, synthetic. I can see why people say dry (there is a woodsy freshness to it). Unlike comparing a sweet and dry wine (where the two terms are antonyms), it is possible in a fragrance (IMHO) to have both sweet and dry characteristics. I do not smell eucalyptus, although I do detect something mentholated. I gets woods, some incense, coumarin, vanillin, and some musk in the drydown (which I suppose is the link to the original Kouros). I find it quite linear, very good sillage, avg. longevity. The musk is clean, not animalic. There is no dirty civet here.

The bottle is quite nice, though if the faux wood (like grey drift wood) were real, the bottle would have been a knock-out. And the price can't be beat.

Pros: interesting, cool and sweet at same time, can't beat the price
    Cons: similar to some others done better"

02 August, 2013

FranktheTank's avatar
    FranktheTank

I know, I know, a negative review of BK

When I received my bottle of BK, I initially really liked it! However, after wearing it more and more, I developed a distaste for it. My problem with it is that it plays like a sweet fragrance, but the benzoin sweetness feels hollow and cold, probably due to the eucalyptus providing a cooling effect. I can finally understand how some people find this fragrance sweet, and others not, it hops back and forth between them in my experience. I can definitely understand why some people would seek this fragrance out for its unique cooling/sweet/dry effect, but I personally found it unpleasant, irritating, and will probably not be wearing this fragrance anymore. I'll keep my bottle and try it again at a later date, but I'm not hopeful. A rare miss for me from the house of YSL.

Pros: Unique, interesting, girls love it
    Cons:

29 July, 2013

rynegne's avatar
    rynegne

Incredible for the Price - Way to go YSL!

The eucalyptus, cedar and benzoin creates a cool, dry fragrance that doesn't have the medicinal qualities usually associated with that combination of notes. A great price, I'm glad YSL keeps fragrances that don't sell like wild fire (Kouros/Body Kouros/M7) from being discontinued.

Pros: Great Price
    Cons: The bottle is oddly shaped

24 May, 2013

mmmm's avatar
    mmmm

I like this one. I have a natural light musky smell on my skin and this blends and makes something wonderful. Couldn't describe the notes as this is something way different than im used to but, a pleasant surprise considering this was a blind buy. I can see where people get the "animistic" smell, its like a slight musk with a sweet vanilla. The best way I can relate this smell is to that smell you get on your skin after rolling around with a sweet little thing who's wearing a vanilla/sweet pea kinda perfume. I get about 6 hours of noticeable silage with close to 10 sprays on my desert dry skin. I dont see this being an older gentlemen's fragrance nor a young guns scent, I think once your out of high school this is something you should seriously consider.

11th March, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

The eucalyptus is pleasant and mixes well with the woody notes. A considerably incense component I'd added, but overall this is a less heavy and much less "dirty" in nature. The is no musk on my skin. This is quite different from the original Kouros, but in spite of it's lack of development it is interesting enough and well-made. Longevity of about four hours, so much less than the original.

12 February, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

My wife likes it...Eucalyptus and cedar...I think it is nice but not for me. It is a "cool" scent meaning dry and no sweetness. Has good longevity.

26 January, 2013

colormechris's avatar
    colormechris

A home run from the house of Saint Laurent. I bought this for my BF and he went through it so fast it must've been some kind of record. Nothing like the original Kouros other than it's originality and boldness. Kouros original was the great incense/civet/ambergris of all time. Body Kouros may be the great medicinal/eucalyptus of all time. It's saving grace is that it dries down to a mellow powdery-ness retaining only a hint of the original medicinal quality. Another fantastic, striking, modern scent from YSL.
    Saint Laurent is one of the few houses that consistently releases a risky, ground-breaking, trend-setting new fragrance about every five years. Yes, they play the flanker game...but that's the game nowadays. They don't compromise on quality either. And they don't over-charge the consumer. If you can't find a fragrance you like from YSL, you just don't like fragrance. Chanel needs to take a chapter form the St. Laurent book, along with Calvin and Ralph.
    House of Saint Laurent, keep up the awesome work...and please don't change!

17 January, 2013

Quartz's avatar
    Quartz

Sorry, but I don't see get any incense from this. It's just like all the other flowery-smelling junk that's out there.
    Smells like bug spray. Nauseatingly sweet - reminds me a lot of Givenchy Pi and it actually seems more of a feminine fragrance. First time I ever did a blind buy and I learned my lesson. It's sitting in a shoebox in the closet along with Pi and YSL La Nuit de L'homme .

16 January, 2013

Nosebud's avatar
    Nosebud

Body Kouros starts off with a muted eucalyptus blended with a deeper, muskier scent (the notes say incense.) Behind the eucalyptus is the vanilla that just won't fade. Seriously, in cold weather and after 10 hours, I can still smell this frag. Pretty good projection. As this scent is growing on me, I might order a small bottle. Not fbw imo, so neutral it is

24 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2012)

padhee83's avatar
    padhee83
    India India

It opens up really nice.If you spray it on your skin and smell it,a cool aroma hits your nose.The eucalyptus has that cooling effect with the incense.The incense is not the heavy incense but a very pleasing incense maybe diluted by the overpowering eucalyptus.After about an hour we can smell the woods but the cooling eucalyptus never goes away.It never ceases to die.Basically its eucalyptus,woods and benzoin(dunno wat benzoin smells like but it resembles woody vanilla).Yes,vanilla like smell is there but its way better than Le Male type of Vanilla.
    I have to say I was blown away the time I first sprayed it on my skin.It was not a blind buy but bought it after a lot of testing in the mall.
    The scent is linear.There is not much difference between the opening and the base.Its just that benzoin becomes the dominant smell in the base.Longevity is really nice.8+ hours easily.Sillage is also top notch.People will notice the smell after 7-8 hrs even if the person wearing it may not smell it.
    It is not the most versatile scent.It is really nice for going out at night or for a blind date.Cool weather scent definitely for casual evenings.Ladies definitely like it.

Bottom Line-I am really happy with the scent.It is not Gourmand at all.People say that it smells like sweet candy but I don't get it.Its eucalyptus,Woods & Benzoin.Best Annick Menardo creation.

22 October, 2012

RobbieX's avatar
    RobbieX

A really nice licorice/incense based oriental. A little like LL Au Masculine. Longevity and sillage top notch. Great masculine scent!

13 October, 2012

synthetic's avatar
    synthetic

A smooth, well-blended and modern fragrance. Think of this as a classier, less synthetic Pi. The vanilla (Benzoin) is nowhere near as thick or syrupy as Pi but the notes are similar to my nose.
    The main difference here is the Eucalyptus opening. It's nothing like real Eucalyptus (I live in Australia...go figure) but I can see the "inspired by" quality of it and by the time the dry down comes it flirts with woods and becomes a nice camphor wood accord that sits nicely on my skin.
    However, problem with Body Kouros is that it is almost too well blended. It's almost as though everything in this is just too pleasant. Even the Eucalyptus note in the opening is too "nice". Nothing seems to contrast or stand out and unfortunately it makes this scent rather tame. If there was something in there that gave in a bit of hair on it's chest (not to the extreme of it's older brother Kouros) to vanquish that almost feminine like vanilla this would be great but unfortunately it's just too nice.
    Projection and Longevity aren't too bad, but it's also painfully normal.
    Body Kouros could be so much more but to me it is literally the epitome of tame.

15 July, 2012

HackerX's avatar
    HackerX

Body Kouros, the fragrance that was the closest to my holy grail and signature scent is a true masterpiece and the best from Annick menardo. This is the only fragrance that i've gone through 2 bottles of and is on my 3rd. Everything good about it has already been said many times. It's quite unique and unpopular among the masses, which is a good thing. It has a sexy sweet aroma without being cloying or powdery, and it works in all seasons, all weather conditions. I'm just glad there's an abundance of this stuff out there so I can never run out of this juice!

21st June, 2012

mtlimodriver's avatar
    mtlimodriver

What a great fragrance - so unique. You will not have to worry about smelling the same as someone else at a party.

Initial spray is quite medicinal from the eucalyptus. However, it dries down to a beautiful smoky vanilla scent. Above average longevity, average projection.

20th June, 2012

Roge''s avatar
    Roge'

Definitely a cologne that stands alone. Be prepared to smell different than anyone. Good stuff.

10th June, 2012

benzganesh's avatar
    benzganesh
    Malaysia Malaysia

I hated this, smelled cheap and powdery, does not exude class - but women love it, but i personally can't stand it!

22 May, 2012

elmatador75's avatar
    elmatador75

Bulgari Black with a backbone. Top notes: licorice and a little anise. They then give in to caramel and vanilla midnotes supported by a luxurious wave of eucalyptus that will last all day. I love this fragrance. The eucalyptus is what makes this fragrance a classic. I hope it is never discontinued. Take note, YSL: many of us miss the days when you would release fragrances such as his one. Your current line at the department store is too safe. What happened to the designer house that brought us Kouros, Rive Gauche and Body Kouros?

16 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2012)

blackers_92's avatar
    blackers_92

I love YSL line of fragrances, sadly I just cant enjoy this. Originally I ordered a sample of it to test on my skin. Wore it out a few times, loved the longevity and projection, but for some reason it physically made me feel a bit nauseous. Tried it again a few time since, just doesn't work for me.

13 April, 2012

Stratos's avatar
    Stratos

Was introduced to this by a woman who wears it often. I love the scent, nice and creamy, but for me it really smells like a feminine scent. Smells very tasty

Also, as an Australian who grew up around Eucalyptus trees, I can confidently say that there is zero eucalyptus in this

Lasts well and nice projection too. Thumbs up, but not something I would wear personally

11th April, 2012

RandomKillsTime's avatar
    RandomKillsTime

This is what Snake Plissken (Escape from New york) would wear if he wore perfume.

One of the best smells I've ever smelt. Smells sweet but in a refined way. Lasts around 4 hours.

I don't like anise/liquorice and this does have that but for like five minutes.

24 March, 2012

JRVavrek's avatar
    JRVavrek

I have yet to wrap my head around this. It has the light gourmand thing going for it. The eucalyptus is the thing I can't figure out. A*Men with a cough drop. Very popular I'm sure but I'm not in it to impress chicks. Hey, it's cheap!

14 March, 2012

djvix805's avatar
    djvix805
    Mexico Mexico

This one to me seems like a mixture of Mont Blanc Individuel and JPG Le Male. I did not find it to have a gasoline note like others say. The top notes arent bad, and the dry-down is much better. However I did not like it as much as Mont Blanc Individuel which had better top notes and dry downs very similar while both project and last similarily. Purchased it as I tought it would be a good addition but don't plan to keep as I own others faily similar.

Scent: 7.5/10
    Projection: 8/10
    Longetivity: 9/10

Overall: 8/10

01st March, 2012

Elzéard's avatar
    Elzéard

A sweet and magical medicine that projects well and lasts forever. Warm, memorable, and makes a body entirely edible.

27 February, 2012

OBNJ's avatar
    OBNJ

Couldn't wait to receive my order after reading all the great reviews. First sniff of the bottle and I am saying to myself, "OK, let's give this a chance". Next step, just a spray on the wrists that evening, and boy was I at first disappointed. Started figuring that it was money down the drain. Next day after the shower I give it another chance and am I ever glad I did. I have no idea what this smells like so I won't even bother with trying to give my take on it. Benzoin? Honestly I don't know what that is, but if it's what is at the heart of this fragrance then I am all for it! Great scent, nice projection and lasts about 12 hours on me.

18 February, 2012

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

BK’s place in the YSL portfolio is an odd one. First of all, it owes nothing to its predecessor Kouros except part of its name. Clearly, YSL was trying to capitalize on the Kouros name and in hindsight, was very misguided. BK smells nothing like Kouros and is in a entirely different universe of fragrance categorization. Where Kouros is a bold and animalic fragrance, BK is a shy and introverted fragrance. BK is an oriental fragrance that has a warm and comforting aroma of roasted nuts (coumarin), light incense and amber. I find BK fairly linear, timid in sillage and short in duration. Normally, these issues would be the death knell for a fragrance but for some reason, they work here. Quiet and calm, like those heated, damp towels you get at a Japanese restaurant.

05 February, 2012