Positive Reviews of Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Erok32 Show all reviews
This is one of the most under rated fragrances out there. It's dominated by a cozy combination of vanilla and incense, splashed with a few drops of eucalyptus and woods. I find this to be very versatile during cool seasons. Body Kouros is very similar to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, only dryer and lacking any gourmand-ish notes.

It projects well without becoming cloying, and longevity is excellent.
25th October, 2015
JonB Show all reviews
I've owned a bottle of this for about 5 years. My stream of consciousness thoughts were: Strong, chocolate, rubber, slightly powdery, Rochas Man. It was a bit much at the time due to it's strength, sillage and longevity (all great). Now, after letting it sit in the closet for several years, it has grown on me. If you already own Rochas Man, you probably don't need this, but if you are looking for a gourmand chocolatey, almondy, rubbery fragrance, go for it. It does come in one of the butt ugliest bottles ever devised though.
07th September, 2015

BODY KOUROS is Show a Real Man with a Nice Style.It has An Essence of Seduce and quite quick and professional from start to finish. A Romantic fragrance with Rich trace of Spice. Warm,Magnetic,Virile,Sonorous, Oriental,Bold and Everlasting.

The top notes Intensive,Include eucalyptus and incense Then becomes Warmer and Mysterious due to Chinese Cedar and Clary Sage,A Lovely and Masculine Base notes with Benzoin Leads a Great scent that Lasts for hours and infuse with a Sensuous yet Relax feeling.

It is for Everybody who want Attract Ladies without much effort.It Excites the wearer,leaving them feeling Heady and Vibrant More for a ROMANTIC Night.Perfect for a Bold Character.It is too Heavy for Hot days Definitely for AUTUMN/WINTER.

Sillage? Ok.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

09th June, 2015

Benzoin, synthetic incense and sour balsamic-anisic greenish herbs (eucaliptus and sage) is exactly what you get at the opening, soon developing a warm, rather bold anisic-almondy aftertaste which I wouldn’t know which note to attribute to exactly – quite sure there’s spices here, definitely tonka above all, as I get a whole sweet Oriental base accord, made smokier by that woody incense note. So, shortly a sweet, kind of soft but at the same time round and bold (almost heavy actually) balsamic and nearly-heavily spiced anisic-resinous-herbal Oriental blend. Not the slightest connection to Kouros to pretty much any extent; but still a remarkable scent to say the least, more than versatile and easy to wear, really “simple” and effortless – almost naif and slightly tacky for the first hour or so (far less than it may have been with these notes, though). Then, after some three or four hours, an unexpectedly mellow and “grey” late-drydown arrives, with a really peculiar sort of discreet and dusty incense-starch note that reminded me of the smell of freshly-laundered garments. Slightly aromatic, kind of “gassy” and breezy, really clean. And nearly completely different from what came before, to any extent; the heavy spices are gone, not much more sweetness left, just this immensely enjoyable thin fog of almost-avantgarde smoky incense with an anisic vein and a crisp substance. Quite a twist if compared to the almost juvenile and kind of flashy early stages, which are more all about thick resinous spices. I wouldn’t define Body Kouros a gem, but we’re almost there - a true keeper for sure, with a quite distinctive informal and playful vibe then unexpectedly and effortlessly morphing into a classy and enveloping drydown.

P.S. I wasn’t aware this has been (allegedly) “heavily” reformulated, but just in case - my bottle is the older one.
10th April, 2015
I used to own this for several years,and I mean I spent a lot bottles of it....
to me its the best from YSL.
It has a complete packet of perfect smell that its a bit dark and spicy sweetness but it has the same time some kind of freshness,I love this kind of scents like Lolita Lempicka but this one without this anise note of au masculin stands out more classy.
I wish YSL had something so good on the L'Homme project that lacks on strength even on La nuit version which last abit longer.
BODY KOUROS as Greek that I am I have one more reason to like it!.
17th October, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

For the record, this scent has nothing whatsoever to do with the original Kouros. Instead, Body Kouros was Annick Menardo’s second masculine take on the licorice flavored woody-oriental theme she introduced with the original Lolita Lempicka. It is also much the better of the two. It is sweeter, darker, and spicier than Lolita Lempicka, but more smooth, suave and balanced than the comparatively clumsy Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. In sillage and potency it lies between the two. I actually find it louder than Lolita Lempicka, with ample projection, but better mannered than the sometimes intrusive au Masculin.

Most importantly, Body Kouros avoids au Masculin’s crude, sinus-bludgeoning woody amber base note, resulting in afar more gratifying drydown. So, if you’re a man who likes the whole licorice oriental idea, but don’t feel comfortable owning a “feminine” fragrance, Body Kouros will do the job for you, and admirably. (Conversely, if you like Body Kouros and want something a little bit drier and more transparent, you might sample the original Lolita Lempicka. Wiser critics than I have judged it a fine scent for men.)
09th June, 2014
The nose Annick Menardo, has a signature, rubber scent in most of her fragrances. If you smell bulgari black and fuel for life by diesel, and Lolita lempicka au Masculin, Jean paul's Kokorico, and boss bottled all her creations, they all have a dark Mystery burned rubber note. alone with a vanilla base synthetic vanilla base. This one Body Kouros is different it is Jean Paul Guiltier La Male with the Vanilla toned down.

I think it has a lot of sex appeal and it goes on soft on the skin 2 foot silage and a 5 hour lasting power. Then re apply which isn't a bad thing you get to experience the notes in order again which i love the opening and mid on this one. My take after owing Kouros for so long i love reaching for the Flanker that smell totally different than the original. and the bottle warrants attention. nicely done Annick.
29th March, 2014
Sensual Masterpiece

Very impressive ! I love Annick Menardo she is a true artist.

A very deep and mysterious scent with a tip n touch of freshness.

As said more here its not anything like the original! Its a totally new scent. I wish they named it : Taurus

Where Kouros is Grey n white this is brown and a bit green of the fresh eucalyptus.

This freshness is so distinct and little you barely notice it.

Body Kouros has this extra lucious edge in it. Where LLAM is licorice and goumand, cosy and cuddly , BK is sensual and daring a bit edgy as a hot macho man.

Wear it with confidence and women will pass you by with weakened knees ;-)

Its a great warm glowing manly scent ... Alluring and romantic ... Great choice!

5 stars!

Pros: Alluring,sensual, exotic and erotic

25th August, 2013

Muscular. swarthy. animal -heat... cooled down by eucalyptus.

Not for kiddies. Body Kouros has an omni present and misty sillage in cooler weather. It's deep, smoky, medicinal character suggests adult sensuality in those conditions: Winter air teemed with cool vapors of eucalyptus, holds a brawny benzoin hostage...A touch kinky. But in warmer temperatures... the output intensifies; provoking the beast within. Body Kouros goes Primal ! Overwhelming it's prey with an ardent, resiny, incense sweetness.

Either way, this one pushed one of my already favorite perfumers, Annick Menardo, to the TOP of my list.

Provocative, and brilliant !

( and I'm not just talking about Annick. )
03rd August, 2013 (last edited: 01st December, 2014)
Incredible for the Price - Way to go YSL!

The eucalyptus, cedar and benzoin creates a cool, dry fragrance that doesn't have the medicinal qualities usually associated with that combination of notes. A great price, I'm glad YSL keeps fragrances that don't sell like wild fire (Kouros/Body Kouros/M7) from being discontinued.

Pros: Great Price
Cons: The bottle is oddly shaped

24th May, 2013
I like this one. I have a natural light musky smell on my skin and this blends and makes something wonderful. Couldn't describe the notes as this is something way different than im used to but, a pleasant surprise considering this was a blind buy. I can see where people get the "animistic" smell, its like a slight musk with a sweet vanilla. The best way I can relate this smell is to that smell you get on your skin after rolling around with a sweet little thing who's wearing a vanilla/sweet pea kinda perfume. I get about 6 hours of noticeable silage with close to 10 sprays on my desert dry skin. I dont see this being an older gentlemen's fragrance nor a young guns scent, I think once your out of high school this is something you should seriously consider.
11th March, 2013
rbaker Show all reviews
The eucalyptus is pleasant and mixes well with the woody notes. A considerably incense component I'd added, but overall this is a less heavy and much less "dirty" in nature. The is no musk on my skin. This is quite different from the original Kouros, but in spite of it's lack of development it is interesting enough and well-made. Longevity of about four hours, so much less than the original.

12th February, 2013
A home run from the house of Saint Laurent. I bought this for my BF and he went through it so fast it must've been some kind of record. Nothing like the original Kouros other than it's originality and boldness. Kouros original was the great incense/civet/ambergris of all time. Body Kouros may be the great medicinal/eucalyptus of all time. It's saving grace is that it dries down to a mellow powdery-ness retaining only a hint of the original medicinal quality. Another fantastic, striking, modern scent from YSL.
Saint Laurent is one of the few houses that consistently releases a risky, ground-breaking, trend-setting new fragrance about every five years. Yes, they play the flanker game...but that's the game nowadays. They don't compromise on quality either. And they don't over-charge the consumer. If you can't find a fragrance you like from YSL, you just don't like fragrance. Chanel needs to take a chapter form the St. Laurent book, along with Calvin and Ralph.
House of Saint Laurent, keep up the awesome work...and please don't change!
17th January, 2013

It opens up really nice.If you spray it on your skin and smell it,a cool aroma hits your nose.The eucalyptus has that cooling effect with the incense.The incense is not the heavy incense but a very pleasing incense maybe diluted by the overpowering eucalyptus.After about an hour we can smell the woods but the cooling eucalyptus never goes away.It never ceases to die.Basically its eucalyptus,woods and benzoin(dunno wat benzoin smells like but it resembles woody vanilla).Yes,vanilla like smell is there but its way better than Le Male type of Vanilla.
I have to say I was blown away the time I first sprayed it on my skin.It was not a blind buy but bought it after a lot of testing in the mall.
The scent is linear.There is not much difference between the opening and the base.Its just that benzoin becomes the dominant smell in the base.Longevity is really nice.8+ hours easily.Sillage is also top notch.People will notice the smell after 7-8 hrs even if the person wearing it may not smell it.
It is not the most versatile scent.It is really nice for going out at night or for a blind date.Cool weather scent definitely for casual evenings.Ladies definitely like it.

Bottom Line-I am really happy with the scent.It is not Gourmand at all.People say that it smells like sweet candy but I don't get it.Its eucalyptus,Woods & Benzoin.Best Annick Menardo creation.
22nd October, 2012
A really nice licorice/incense based oriental. A little like LL Au Masculine. Longevity and sillage top notch. Great masculine scent!
13th October, 2012
Body Kouros, the fragrance that was the closest to my holy grail and signature scent is a true masterpiece and the best from Annick menardo. This is the only fragrance that i've gone through 2 bottles of and is on my 3rd. Everything good about it has already been said many times. It's quite unique and unpopular among the masses, which is a good thing. It has a sexy sweet aroma without being cloying or powdery, and it works in all seasons, all weather conditions. I'm just glad there's an abundance of this stuff out there so I can never run out of this juice!
21st June, 2012
What a great fragrance - so unique. You will not have to worry about smelling the same as someone else at a party.

Initial spray is quite medicinal from the eucalyptus. However, it dries down to a beautiful smoky vanilla scent. Above average longevity, average projection.
20th June, 2012
Definitely a cologne that stands alone. Be prepared to smell different than anyone. Good stuff.
10th June, 2012
Bulgari Black with a backbone. Top notes: licorice and a little anise. They then give in to caramel and vanilla midnotes supported by a luxurious wave of eucalyptus that will last all day. I love this fragrance. The eucalyptus is what makes this fragrance a classic. I hope it is never discontinued. Take note, YSL: many of us miss the days when you would release fragrances such as his one. Your current line at the department store is too safe. What happened to the designer house that brought us Kouros, Rive Gauche and Body Kouros?
16th April, 2012 (last edited: 04th November, 2012)
Was introduced to this by a woman who wears it often. I love the scent, nice and creamy, but for me it really smells like a feminine scent. Smells very tasty

Also, as an Australian who grew up around Eucalyptus trees, I can confidently say that there is zero eucalyptus in this

Lasts well and nice projection too. Thumbs up, but not something I would wear personally
11th April, 2012
This is what Snake Plissken (Escape from New york) would wear if he wore perfume.

One of the best smells I've ever smelt. Smells sweet but in a refined way. Lasts around 4 hours.

I don't like anise/liquorice and this does have that but for like five minutes.
24th March, 2012
This one to me seems like a mixture of Mont Blanc Individuel and JPG Le Male. I did not find it to have a gasoline note like others say. The top notes arent bad, and the dry-down is much better. However I did not like it as much as Mont Blanc Individuel which had better top notes and dry downs very similar while both project and last similarily. Purchased it as I tought it would be a good addition but don't plan to keep as I own others faily similar.

Scent: 7.5/10
Projection: 8/10
Longetivity: 9/10

Overall: 8/10
01st March, 2012
Elzéard Show all reviews
A sweet and magical medicine that projects well and lasts forever. Warm, memorable, and makes a body entirely edible.
27th February, 2012
Couldn't wait to receive my order after reading all the great reviews. First sniff of the bottle and I am saying to myself, "OK, let's give this a chance". Next step, just a spray on the wrists that evening, and boy was I at first disappointed. Started figuring that it was money down the drain. Next day after the shower I give it another chance and am I ever glad I did. I have no idea what this smells like so I won't even bother with trying to give my take on it. Benzoin? Honestly I don't know what that is, but if it's what is at the heart of this fragrance then I am all for it! Great scent, nice projection and lasts about 12 hours on me.
18th February, 2012
BK’s place in the YSL portfolio is an odd one. First of all, it owes nothing to its predecessor Kouros except part of its name. Clearly, YSL was trying to capitalize on the Kouros name and in hindsight, was very misguided. BK smells nothing like Kouros and is in a entirely different universe of fragrance categorization. Where Kouros is a bold and animalic fragrance, BK is a shy and introverted fragrance. BK is an oriental fragrance that has a warm and comforting aroma of roasted nuts (coumarin), light incense and amber. I find BK fairly linear, timid in sillage and short in duration. Normally, these issues would be the death knell for a fragrance but for some reason, they work here. Quiet and calm, like those heated, damp towels you get at a Japanese restaurant.
05th February, 2012
surge Show all reviews
A wearable version of Joop. It's got good longevity but it doesn't hang around like a bad stench in the house like Joop does. It's also a lore more complex during the drydown. Very nice fragrance. I am really starting to like YSL as a house in general.
Looking back at the notes I don't get a lot of them.
I get that sweet yet subtle vanilla, reminiscent of a largely toned down joop, or le male, along with fabric softener (maybe that's the eucalpytus and mace) -- I heard this scent described perfectly on youtube:
"BK smells like hot fresh made vanilla cookies taken right out of the dryer -- yes that's right, not the oven, the dryer" -- I think it's fitting.
At first I also thought this frag smelled "dated" (it's that vanilla that all those 90s frags have!), but I got over it. It's really nice and has become one of my most used designed frags this winter.
27th January, 2012 (last edited: 11th February, 2012)
romancelord Show all reviews
Trinidad and Tobago
harsh opening.. like gasoline as one guy said...but as the other guy said the dry down is "sex in a bottle"
13th December, 2011
Sex in a bottle. I absolutely adore this stuff, its my "special occasion" scent for a big night out. Monster projection and longevity, people are going to notice this one. Too overpowering for casual social wear in my opinion (although I have been known to spray it on my wrists at home some nights just so I can bask in its sweet glory).

I get rich, sweet incense which morphs into an almost marshmallow-like quality on the dry down. Seductive.

Cannot fault this one if used in the right setting. Magic.
21st November, 2011
I always wanted to try this, seing so many 'rave' reviews about it (compared to MontBlanc Individuel, Azzaro Visit and John Varvatos, to name only a few of my most prefered), but only today I got the chance to test it at a new Douglas perfumery opened in my town.
I really subscribe to one particular review that mentioned "YSL BK is like the lovechild of Azzaro Visit and Gucci Rush" true indeed. BK has the sweet spiciness/incensy feeling of Visit and the muskiness/restrained herbal aura of Rush.

On my skin, it had a long evolution from a menthol-herbal-anisey top through a sweet-incense-flowery middle, into a balmy-musky base, with the dryness of eucaliptus acting as a background to keep its freshness alive.

Considering the fact that is created 11 years ago, I find this an addictive modern fragrance that has its own merits and deserves to be in everyone's attention (taken from a guy who doesn't stand very sweet frags like JPG Le Male or L. Lempicka Au Masculine). For sure it got mine and I don't want to miss it, now that it's discontinued. My rank 8.8/10
p.s. Very, very close to Armand Basi Homme, IMO
11th November, 2011
Good clean fragrance for fall and winter evenings. Can be too sweet for some.
18th October, 2011