Reviews of Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Find out more about Bois de Cédrat by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

Just what it says: citrus (cédrat, or citron,) and wood. Cedar in this case, with an interesting paraffin-like note in the background. Simple, linear, and very well made - I'd wear this when I wanted to smell like citrus peel. I have only one gripe: There are a lot of simple citrus scents out there, and this one, while outstanding, is also very pricey.

10th June, 2014

Preston H's avatar

It's a resounding consensus that this scent has very poor longevity, but still an amazing citrus. It's gonna go soon, but I'll be sad when it does. Best lemon scent you're ever gonna smell. Aqua viva is close, but its too strong and can give off a lemon pledge vibe, this is softer, lighter and more natural smelling.

07 May, 2013

bugsy's avatar

This is probably the best lemon based scent you will ever find. It is very fresh and it is not synthetic whatsoever. This one has a strong opening that dies down very quickly; over-spraying will NOT be a problem. This was my summer signature last year. It’s a very nice fragrance but it has no depth. If you want something with a WOW factor, this isn’t it. If you want a beautifully done lemon/citrus-based scent, this is the KING in my opinion.

You can buy it blind or as a gift for someone (no matter how young or old), no problem.

07 December, 2012

rbaker's avatar

A fresh, bright an clean citrus fragrance that is tempered with a bit if cedar that comes in a later but always remains in the background. The opening is calm and lacks the intensity of a blast that characterizes, for instance, Eau d'Orange Verte. Gradually fading, I get a bit more than an hour out of it, which is better than other citrus compositions on me. A beautiful summer scent.

18 August, 2012

ozebarjadi's avatar

Falls somewhere between Cacharel and Eau Sauvage.
    ES does it for me.

15 July, 2012

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Simple one the best Creed's colognes, 2-3 hours, no more, longevity...but thumbs up...

27 June, 2012

nefastvs's avatar

Starts of a nice and fresh citrus and wood scent that dries to a barely noticeable sour note.

01st April, 2012

Cursitor's avatar

I have to give Bois de Cedrat a positive rating. I've gone through bottle after ludricrously priced bottle of this, and it never tires for me. The bright lemony top notes give way to a sophisticted woody dry down with real freshness and flair.

It's defintely in the 'classsic' category and doesn't make concessions to modernity, but if it's been this good since the 1890's, why not?

The issue, as others seem to have noticed too, is longevity. Sillage is fine, but really you don't get much out of this after a couple of hours at best, hence the high consumption rate. I'd hate to see Creed mess around with such a favourite, but it would do wonders for my cheque book if they sorted that issue out...

26 February, 2012

mrcologneguy's avatar

A dreamy, beautiful, rich citrus. Not much cedar in the house, but who cares, when the overall citrus concoction is this perfect? Sparkling top notes, rich middle, smooth drydown, all wrapped up in a sophisticated, richly historic setting. Highly recommended. A short-lived scent, but you'll happily and lavishly reapply. By far one of Creed's best.

08 August, 2011

barclaydetolly's avatar

I generally am not a fan of lemon scents, but this is a pleasant, clean, and woodsy lemon fragrance. I'd be on the verge of a thumbs up except for one thing: Bois de Cedrat has the worst longevity of any cologne I have ever tried. No matter how much I apply, in two hours, it's completely gone.

08 June, 2011

bartdino's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Citrus and a little woods...very simple, wonderful but....disappear in a couple of minutes

02 May, 2011

bokaba's avatar

I must agree with the other esteemed reviewers here that BdC is quite straightforward--citron and woods. Perhaps there is also a hint of ambergris that adds the smallest bit of longevity to the base. Very natural smelling and I am convinced there must be some amount of natural oils present. This is very nice if one enjoys this type of light, citron based scent of yesteryear. BdC is very similar to Guerlain Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat though it has a little bit more longevity and is noticeably less floral in the heart and more expensive. This would be a good one to add to your test list indeed!

21st January, 2011

Ultramagnus's avatar

A welcome antidote to the complex note pyramids that seem to accompany almost every new release these days.

Top notes: Bergamot, Sicilian lemon
    Middle note: Calabria mandarin
    Base note: Lemon tree wood

This fragrance is seemingly straightforward but it has genuine depth and beauty in the quality its notes and construction. On first spraying you are struck by an almost unbelievable lemon note. It is tart without being harsh and rounded without being forceful. It is definitely the most pleasant and natural-smelling lemon accord I have come across.

Over time the citrus blends seamlessly into a lovely subtle woody note although this is never particularly strong and the citrus never completely goes away. The official Creed pyramid states that there is a middle note of mandarin but the fragrance is so well blended that it is incredibly difficult to pick out. The balance between citrus and wood is wonderful and definitely my favourite part of the progression.

So far it all seems completely positive for this fragrance but that's because I haven't mentioned the longevity and silage. As other reviewers have remarked these are the Achilles' heel of Bois de Cedrat. On my skin the fragrance reaches the woody basenote within three to four hours leaving a sublime yet faint aura hovering a few centimetres above my skin imperceptible to anyone further away. I've found that spraying directly on clothing prolongs things for a total of six to eight hours although the fragrance is never really strong enough project very far.

In conclusion Bois de Cedrat is a wonderful fragrance, simple in concept but imperfectly executed. For everyday wear, the best part of the pyramid is also the least noticeable. If you buy it for yourself you won't be disappointed - just don't expect many others around you to share the experience.

09 January, 2011

sjohnjay's avatar

Ultra-zesty, invigorating lemon note (one of the best....CREED or otherwise)!
    On the other hand- Its lack of lasting power makes Bois De Cedrat kinda difficult to get hot & bothered about.

19 September, 2010

Sunsetspawn's avatar

This smells delicious while it lasts, and even then the sillage is almost nonexistent. It's just pathetically weak juice. I couldn't even use the ol "saturate your clothing" trick to get it to work. What you do smell, if you press it to your nose, is a very natural-smelling citrus and sea-salty wood. Damn shame

06 August, 2010

The Masked Armpit's avatar

Awesome opening, and thats all there is. Disappears like Keyser Soze.

17 July, 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

Interesting mixture with bois du portugal and citrus bigarrade in my opinion. Not bad but I will not buy it.

01st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th May, 2010)

saxifrage's avatar

Truly beautiful fragrance, I want to marinate in this stuff. Delicious, zesty citrus aroma interspersed with a dry cedarwood aroma and a slight chemical note that smells a bit like petroleum. It's not offensive in this case. This scent also lacks that ambergris/musk accord in many Creeds that I detest.

Sillage and longevity are pathetic on both fronts, but oh, the hour or so you wear it is worth it.

14 January, 2010

WhosYerBob's avatar

Bois de Cédrat has an absolutely wonderful lemon citrus opening - but longevity is pretty much zilch. On my skin the citrus is wonderful for the 10 to 15 minutes or so that it lasts. Really reminds me of G.F. Trumper / Extract of West Indian Limes and how that one has a stunning lime note that's gone inside of 5 minutes. Bois de Cédrat lasts somewhat longer than GFT Limes, but not long enough for the top shelf price.

Love the scent, but not the longevity.

10th January, 2010

oeonologist's avatar

A very nice woodsy scent. Very fresh and strong.

16 December, 2009

photofinish's avatar

Sweet citric fruits, eclipsed by brash, woody earthiness... that entirely lives up to its name, Bois de Cedrat (wood of citruses).

11th December, 2009

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

Top notes are lemon and lavender. Perhaps a hint of verbena too, but I tend to smell this in many many things. Top notes almost remind me of fruity loops, strangely. Fruity loops with lemon juice. It's pleasant. A sweet fourgere, shall we say? It fades on my skin rather quickly.

21st November, 2009

Kaern's avatar

A truly beautiful cedrat topped woody scent that hints of better times and values. Wear this and feel wonderful.

04 November, 2009

archibald's avatar

A great solio-citrus, not one iota impressionistic or abstract. As pointed out below, Meyer lemon is the closest real world analogue to BDC thanks, I'd wager, to a hint of bergamot providing the orange aspect and some kind of subtle herbal accord providing bitterness--the two features that separate Meyer lemon peels from their martini-riding brethren. BDC is also half of the only layering combo I'd actually wear out of the house:--two or three spritzes of BDC on top of one of Bois de Santal (which has a nice creamy lemon opening of it's own) provides an amazing two hour balancing act of smooth and sharp followed by whatever's left of BDS, which persists a good three hours longer than BDC.

16 July, 2009

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Excellent SOUR citrus scent, with a very nice and "truly dry" cedar note.
    I stress dry cedar, because so much of the "cedar" used in perfumery is a very bad, greasy synthetic "petrol cedar" and misses the dry appeal of fine woodwork made of cedar. It lasts very well for a sour citrus, especially on fabrics, as the tart lemon/citron used here contains alot of basenote (citronellol) [not citronellal)
    Thumbs up for filling a small niche in the citrus category so well.

21st June, 2009

Redneck Perfumisto's avatar

This beautiful citrus scent is how I found my way back to Creed. All hype aside, Bois de Cédrat IS an extremely natural EdT, if not the most natural one in my wardrobe. Almost entirely composed of light, airy citrus, with just a hint of wood underneath, it's gentle, cool, and amazingly refreshing. I love wearing this one on hot days, but I always bring the bottle with me, because the citrus is SO light, the longevity is - in a word - terrible, and because the topnotes are just indescribably good. I enjoy wearing this one to bed at night, because it's so comforting, and also pleasant for my wife. An excellent choice for seafood dining as well.

There are other citrus scents which I prefer when I need longevity, sillage, presence, or complexity, but when I want something truly divine, this is the one.

19 June, 2009

Merbert's avatar

This is a fine example of minimalism found more commonly in pre-1920s fragrances. The lemon note leans toward the exquisite fragrance of a Meyer lemon and smells fresh off the tree on a warm afternoon. I also sense the oil of citron as your fingernail pierces the fresh peel. The drydown brings in hints of fresh woods and a slight herbal finish, yet maintains the citrus up front.

Delicious.

05 May, 2009

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

I can't quite bring myself to give this a neutral rating, anymore that I can bring myself to go to a restaurant and complain that the waiter brought me a lime or a lemon, while I distinctly asked for a cedrat.

BdC is much too linear for me. Still, one could wear it for Spring and Summer and REL for Autumn and Winter and be done with it!

No one could fault your ever so refined taste if you stuck to these two alone.

No more fragrance addiction! Take up Scrabble or Yahtzee as a hobby. But then life would be rather boring , wouldn't it?

BdC as the name translates is a forest of lim--er--I mean cedrat. It's definitely a 'gentlemen's' scent with a delightful feel and a depressing price tag.

I rather like it. For a while.

04 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

robpmgc's avatar

Wonderful citrus top, doesn't evolve much at all, then it's gone.. Like all Creeds, it stays close to the skin and lasts less than 4 hours, I think I'm over being impressed by this house's cache. They make some decent products, but only decent, nothing spectacular, and the only Creed of the 9 that I own that has even somewhat acceptable lasting power is GIT. Nice, but I surely won't buy this one again.

02 March, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Mix of lime and citrus and lemon and a hint of orange... well that's cedrat for you. A quality citrus much like Roayl Water which I love. Almost a dry woody citrus along the lines of Homme de Gres but the citrus in this is much much more tart and seems to last a bit longer. Good stuff.

10th July, 2008