Neutral Reviews of Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Find out more about Bois de Cédrat by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

Just what it says: citrus (cédrat, or citron,) and wood. Cedar in this case, with an interesting paraffin-like note in the background. Simple, linear, and very well made - I'd wear this when I wanted to smell like citrus peel. I have only one gripe: There are a lot of simple citrus scents out there, and this one, while outstanding, is also very pricey.

10th June, 2014

ozebarjadi's avatar

Falls somewhere between Cacharel and Eau Sauvage.
    ES does it for me.

15 July, 2012

nefastvs's avatar

Starts of a nice and fresh citrus and wood scent that dries to a barely noticeable sour note.

01st April, 2012

barclaydetolly's avatar

I generally am not a fan of lemon scents, but this is a pleasant, clean, and woodsy lemon fragrance. I'd be on the verge of a thumbs up except for one thing: Bois de Cedrat has the worst longevity of any cologne I have ever tried. No matter how much I apply, in two hours, it's completely gone.

08 June, 2011

Ultramagnus's avatar

A welcome antidote to the complex note pyramids that seem to accompany almost every new release these days.

Top notes: Bergamot, Sicilian lemon
    Middle note: Calabria mandarin
    Base note: Lemon tree wood

This fragrance is seemingly straightforward but it has genuine depth and beauty in the quality its notes and construction. On first spraying you are struck by an almost unbelievable lemon note. It is tart without being harsh and rounded without being forceful. It is definitely the most pleasant and natural-smelling lemon accord I have come across.

Over time the citrus blends seamlessly into a lovely subtle woody note although this is never particularly strong and the citrus never completely goes away. The official Creed pyramid states that there is a middle note of mandarin but the fragrance is so well blended that it is incredibly difficult to pick out. The balance between citrus and wood is wonderful and definitely my favourite part of the progression.

So far it all seems completely positive for this fragrance but that's because I haven't mentioned the longevity and silage. As other reviewers have remarked these are the Achilles' heel of Bois de Cedrat. On my skin the fragrance reaches the woody basenote within three to four hours leaving a sublime yet faint aura hovering a few centimetres above my skin imperceptible to anyone further away. I've found that spraying directly on clothing prolongs things for a total of six to eight hours although the fragrance is never really strong enough project very far.

In conclusion Bois de Cedrat is a wonderful fragrance, simple in concept but imperfectly executed. For everyday wear, the best part of the pyramid is also the least noticeable. If you buy it for yourself you won't be disappointed - just don't expect many others around you to share the experience.

09 January, 2011

Sunsetspawn's avatar

This smells delicious while it lasts, and even then the sillage is almost nonexistent. It's just pathetically weak juice. I couldn't even use the ol "saturate your clothing" trick to get it to work. What you do smell, if you press it to your nose, is a very natural-smelling citrus and sea-salty wood. Damn shame

06 August, 2010

The Masked Armpit's avatar

Awesome opening, and thats all there is. Disappears like Keyser Soze.

17 July, 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

Interesting mixture with bois du portugal and citrus bigarrade in my opinion. Not bad but I will not buy it.

01st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th May, 2010)

WhosYerBob's avatar

Bois de Cédrat has an absolutely wonderful lemon citrus opening - but longevity is pretty much zilch. On my skin the citrus is wonderful for the 10 to 15 minutes or so that it lasts. Really reminds me of G.F. Trumper / Extract of West Indian Limes and how that one has a stunning lime note that's gone inside of 5 minutes. Bois de Cédrat lasts somewhat longer than GFT Limes, but not long enough for the top shelf price.

Love the scent, but not the longevity.

10th January, 2010

photofinish's avatar

Sweet citric fruits, eclipsed by brash, woody earthiness... that entirely lives up to its name, Bois de Cedrat (wood of citruses).

11th December, 2009

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

Top notes are lemon and lavender. Perhaps a hint of verbena too, but I tend to smell this in many many things. Top notes almost remind me of fruity loops, strangely. Fruity loops with lemon juice. It's pleasant. A sweet fourgere, shall we say? It fades on my skin rather quickly.

21st November, 2009

robpmgc's avatar

Wonderful citrus top, doesn't evolve much at all, then it's gone.. Like all Creeds, it stays close to the skin and lasts less than 4 hours, I think I'm over being impressed by this house's cache. They make some decent products, but only decent, nothing spectacular, and the only Creed of the 9 that I own that has even somewhat acceptable lasting power is GIT. Nice, but I surely won't buy this one again.

02 March, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

Bois de Cédrat has a powerful lemon opening, rich and vibrant. The base is a very elegant cedar, however quite subtle. Too subtle: I have to bury my nose into my wrist to enjoy it to any extent. I originally gave this a thumbs up on about a half dozen trials from sample vials. Subsequently, I bought a bottle, which I chose to part with. The problem is that beyond the opening it offers too little. If the woods were more pronounced, this would be very interesting to me still. So I revise my rating to neutral.

26 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 28 April, 2008)

Vasily's avatar

A wonderful lime & cedar fragrance that (as others have said) is not very long lasting. It reminds me of a fragrance from my younger days: something from the late 1960s or early 1970s that I would splash on in my parents' bathroom before going out for a night with friends. If this lasted longer on me, I'd give it a big thumbs up. A nice summer fragrance for those who can affort to splash it on.

11th November, 2006

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

This is a wonderful citrus, very fresh but with very deep woody undertones. BUT after an hour or so it's gone. This is the most short-lasting Creed I have. Awesome juice, poor longevity - at least with me...

21st July, 2005