Reviews of Bois du Portugal by Creed

I never write reviews unless I need to write a review. So here I am. I am a 42 year old male and bought a decant of this based on the description and reviews. I am a huge fan of Creed.

Unless you are over 70 years old, you don't want this. Trust me. Never have I experienced a scent that brought me back in time, in a very bad way, to the early 80's.

This one belongs in the vault, to stay, forever.
02nd November, 2017
The richness of booze
Without booziness per se
Distilled down to class.
28th October, 2017
This is all that 90% of the Reviews here say of it.
This was built for Old Guys (60)like me. A little less stuffy than Guerlain Heritage, however it is same era between late 80's early 90's. Masculine elegance with a soul,for the over 40's. Better than most of the high end stuff from Tom Ford. I may have to find a draw of this. Yummy!
25th October, 2017

This a top notch perfume..
Its strong and not for everyone , it smells like you should be wearing a suit and driving a Mercedes .
Please dont buy this if you are under 30 , just please don't because it would be just overdoing it .
Sharp, and wooddy, and green , kinda like a very expensive aftershave , but in a dark way .
If you can smell confidence it would smell like bois du portugal .
10th October, 2017
This was my go to Vetiver/woody scent before discovering the delights of Frederic Malle's French Lover (also by Pierre Boudon). It still delights, but Creed's current absurd over-pricing means a replacement bottle is out of the question once it is finished.
30th June, 2017
BdP is definitely a man's fragrance. VERY classy and those that describe this one as an "old man's" fragrance are no doubt millenials whose tastes are still in their infancy.I won't bother to list the notes as everyone knows what they are. If you want to smell good at anytime of the year for any occasion, this is for you if you have the spare change. NOT for little girls.
26th June, 2017
When you break it down, this is a very simple fragrance when it comes to note breakdowns.
A bergamot that is the right balance of biterness and sweetness opens this up and almost works like your first coffee of the day in awakening your senses.
This citrus transitio s and blends perfectly with the always soothing lavender in the heart. What the lavender seems to do is carry the bergamot with it until we get to the sublime drydown of one of Creed's best. Cedar and creamy sandalwood dominate the base, all the while keeping remnants of the opening, and i think the ambergris is the thing binding it all together.
There are other fragrances in this general theme but here the ingredients smell like quality, and it's all blended beautifully while still picking out individual notes.
3 sprays maximum for this because i get 1w hours longevity very easily and it projects a few good feet for a couple of hours at least.
Not the most versatile, but i enjoyed it every single time.
28th May, 2017
Quite simply put Bois Du Portugal is one hell of a stunning fragrance. The problem??........... It just smells too mature. Even beyond what a 50 year old would wear. BDP is what I expect a suave and sophisticated 70 year old man to wear. It is a 10/10 fragrance but I am not ready for that level of maturity. Another 25 years and I will be splashing it all over. Still a thumbs up based on the quality of the scent.
02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 04th November, 2017)
I wouldn't recommend blind-buying this as I did.

I hated it at first. Was extremely disappointed. Then I spent most of a weekend trying to get to know it. Now I like it, in a limited sense.

Realize that what you are hit with at first is a very bitter citrus, not a sweet one IMO. I usually associate a citrus with some sweetness so this was tough for me to get right away. I just didn't like it. But once I realized what I was smelling, and that it was new to me, my frustration subsided a bit. I began searching out the citrus in this scent, getting used to it. After that I enjoyed it much, much more.

The cedar is strong as well. If you don't like cedar, or bitter bergamot, stay far away from this one.

However, there is a definite smoothness to this scent.

It's a powerful scent with what I imagine very good sillage and projection. The longevity is better than average as well.

It does smell old, like barbers talc in areas. I doubt very many women would be seduced by this. But if you're like me and you wear scents that you like and that challenge you, then I'd recommend Bois du Portugal.

I would be unlikely to wear this in hot weather.

Overall 8-9 out of 10.

30th April, 2017 (last edited: 03rd May, 2017)
Beautifully crafted scent from Creed. Bois du Portugal is a classic vetiver fragrance with a nod given towards the fougere scents of the 1980's.

Bergamot is instantaneous and disappears quite quickly after application. Then, the fragrance stabilizes with a pleasantly sharp "spike" of spice that I enjoy from fougere / vetiver scents...like a classier version of Old Spice, without feeling cheap nor pretentious. Lavender is very evident a note, as is a hint of the lovely sandalwood in the base. The "Creed accord" of amber is what makes this scent distinctive, with its creamy, slightly animalic quality.

You be the judge if you'd be willing to plunk down a lot of money for this Creed scent; there are plenty of other decent fragrances that do the job (first that comes to mind is Carven Homme (original), then Guerlain's Vetiver, maybe Eau de Vetyver by L'Occitane, perhaps even Gucci Nobile's wonderful potion).

I'm glad I bought it, and after so many years Bois du Portugal continues to delight me and never disappoint.

03rd February, 2017
Bois du Portugal is one of the top members of the Creed-dynasty on the side of Vintage Tabarome, Cuir de Russie, Green Irish Tweed, Royal English Leather and few others. A super classic really masculine gentlemen-fragrance with a stout smoky woody-leathery initial assault (yet luxurious and royal due to a decadent hesperidic vibe), a green-spicy core (aromatic, vaguely minty, lemony-cologney and musky) and a luxurious "stuffy-retro" victorian final vibe a la (even for diverse reasons) Aramis JHL, Guerlain Mitsouko, Derby or Clinique Aromatics Elixir (with a restrained virile twist afforded by woods and spicy ambergris). Bergamot, aromatic lavender, astringent cedar, piquant ambergris and powdery woods unfold a quite classic-barbershop vibe in the middle between the great French chypre tradition, the 80's powerful aromatic fougere and the rosey-laundry victorian British olfactory historic school. Dry down is a gorgeous mix of powdery-mossy vaguely rosey woods (chypre, green-minty and poudree), spicy-hesperidic ambergris (piquant and virile) and stuffy powdery/hesperidic earthiness. An "ethernal" aristocratic fragrance (evocative about Royal Gardens) which will make you lording over all the other "lofty-affected" banqueters at Royal Court.
18th January, 2017 (last edited: 19th January, 2017)
Stardate 20161014:

A classic men's cologne - likes of Chanel PM and Tiffany for Men.
Citrus top and powdery vanillic drydown. Some SW too.

None of that modern crappy Creed signature accord, but then I have an older bottle and don't know how the current formulation is.

Also from what I can tell, the nose was not a Creed so maybe that explains why this is so different and good.

14th October, 2016
I've put off reviewing Bois Du Portugal for years because I've been hoping it will win me over, but it simply hasn't, at least not quite.

To start with, I love most of it. There's a wonderful sandalwood with a fantastic chypre base, glued together by Creed's trademark hawthorn and ambrox, which makes the whole thing into an amazingly rich, beautiful, expensive, expansive smell.

Unfortunately, I don't like the way they did the bergamot on top. Have you ever been in an old house and been able to tell that it had flooded at one point, because you can smell the dried up mold still left in the walls? Bois Du Portugal has that musty dried mold smell in it. It's actually a fusion of bergamot with moss and lavender, but I can't shake the negative connotations enough to just relax and fall in love.

All things considered, I think Bois Du Portugal is 80% one of the world's best perfumes, but with topnotes I don't like. I guess that works out to a neutral rating, though I must admit that this feels like I'm selling it short...
13th May, 2016

What a disappointment. I smelled this on a test paper at Nordstroms and thought it smelled pretty decent so I got a sample. Well...it "smelled" better on paper which is kind of like when something looks better on paper. I put it on, and lost the scent almost immediately. I was almost thinking this stuff must be made out of ISO E Super. Anyway, I reapplied and lost it again almost immediately. I couldn't believe the complete lack of scent after just a few moments. I applied a third time and could barely pick up any scent on my wrists after about 20 minutes. I was, as I said, greatly disappointed. I had heard this was old blue eyes favorite fragrance and so I must assume that 1. Either I can't smell this particular fragrance very well, or that, 2. This batch had some issues. Not sure which one applies...
19th March, 2016
I can't believe how much I like this perfume. Yes, it smells very, very mature. Yes, it's very powdery, and somewhat feminine. All things considered, I still have no problem wearing this perfume out and about. I don't get anyone complimenting me on my scent, and no one asks what it is. I wear this for one person, and that's me.

I love sandalwood, and bergamot. The cedar dries this base down very nicely. Bois Du Portugal is a very comforting scent to me, and I will always have a bottle of it in my wardrobe.

A side note - this blends really well with Green Irish Tweed.
02nd February, 2016
jumpfrog Show all reviews
To my nose at least, this is a distant cousin of TF Italian Cypress. It is green and woodsy but the difference is that BdP is quite powdery and the sandalwood is quite prominent. Someone told me that it smelled far better "in the air" than on my skin. I was glad to hear that because, to be honest, I was a little disappointed when I first sprayed it. Give it 30 mins though and it does transform into something quite special. No doubt people will disagree, but I could see a woman wearing this. It's not as masculine as I was expecting. If I had to describe it in one word it would be "austere". Longevity 8/10, sillage 8/10. I would not walk in to a boutique and buy this at full price but I would do a split for 30/40ml. Worth having in the collection but you have to be in the mood for this one.
18th November, 2015
This is a powerful scent compared to many other Creed fragrances. It opens with a well-blended combination of bergamot, lavender, and spice. As the hours pass, the bergamot eases off and the woody notes come to the forefront. The cedar is not sharp like in many fragrances, and it is blended well with the sandalwood. There is a sweet spot an hour or so in where the texture of the lavender together with the woody notes is so nice and not similar to a lot of other perfumes out there.

When trying this scent, the first things that occured to me were that it was a mature fragrance and was incredibly refined. I wouldn't call this an old-man fragrance at all, though.

Overall, the scent has a thick quality, like being wrapped in a cozy woolen blanket. I was sad when Gucci discontinued Envy, though I think this one could be a very-nice replacement. It doesn't smell the same, but it does something similar for me due to its texture. BdP projects well and has good longevity. Also, it reminds me a bit of Héritage, but it doesn't have an animalic note or all the vanilla. You can tell it was released in the 80s alongside other powerhouse fragrances, but it seems cleaner and goes on well after a fresh shave.
14th September, 2015 (last edited: 04th February, 2016)
BdP is a classy, woods and lavender fragrance, and the very best of the Creed line IMO. An extremely fresh, clean scent that has a heavier opening than the scent develops into. At first spray I got a strong bergamot and dusty leather note that reminds you of an old leather bound book. The lavender appears in the middle and gives you a classic aftershave   The dry down is a powdery sandalwood, vetiver and warm cedar. Trademark Creed ambergis defines the composition. Excellent longevity for a Creed. I get 8+ hours of scent, with average sillage.

BdP reminds me of when I would open my grandfather's wardrobe as a child and it had a classy cedar and aftershave scent. Very old school and gentlemanly.

I like this pretty much any time of year or any place. Looking for a decant and will add this to my wardrobe.
14th August, 2015 (last edited: 05th November, 2015)
Creed's Bois du Portugal stands out among most of the other Creeds simply because it is so different. The first impression is a brisk woody lavender note that is classy and refined. An hour into wearing it the top note of lavender recedes into the background as a cosy woody vibe develops and lasts into the dry down. Nothing groundbreaking, just a very good execution of a classic, traditional masculine. I would not seek this one out before Jazz and Tsar which cover similar olfactory territories. But a very good one nonetheless.
04th March, 2015
This is Creed's homage to Henri Robert and vintage Chanel Pour Monsieur. You can still buy the real stuff, but you will find that the top notes will be gone. The top notes in the Creed are very nice, then you have to wait past the silly cedar notes, and then you finally arrive at the 1955 insight of M. Robert. IMHO it's a very good imitation.

BTW, the salesman told me that this was Ol' Blue Eyes' favorite fragrance. Frankie was born in 1915 and this EDT was released in 1987 when he was 72.
27th January, 2015
This is a classic woody lavender fragrance that is comparable to PdN New York. New York is more green/youthful and Portugal has a woody library interior that is more for older gents. It's a classic. Either choice would be fine.
23rd November, 2014
So I bought this as a blind buy, and you know what many say about blind buys, even this. Initially on first spray I was turned off by the daddyish grandfatherly old spice feel. So I decided not to wear it for a few days. From the time I stopped wearing it (only a couple of days) to the time I tried it again, I don't know what happened but I'm glad it did!!! (notes: you detect vetiver, bergamot, woodsy tones and a host of other notes). This stuff is amazing; I wondered, did I spray the right one? Bois du Portugal has less sting then Aubepine Acacia and more of Cheveruille's punch, yet, you get a Neroli Sauvage feel though. As a 30 plus man, this is a lovely fragrance for one's wardrobe. I can see a confident 20 something male wearing this, I'd suggest rerouting from the modern sweet, unisex, citrusy fragrances that we find ourselves wearing and try something that has flare and ambiance. You will not regret it!!!
10th September, 2014 (last edited: 02nd October, 2014)
Genre: Woody Oriental

I can see why Bois du Portugal has its admirers. It stands in utter opposition to the polite and pretty "millesimes" that represent so much of the modern Creed line. Bois du Portugal opens LOUD, with a smoky leather assault that catapults straight out of the bottle. This is a take-no-prisoners accord if ever there was one: leather and burning wood all the way. The smoke hangs on for quite some time, eventually even taking on an "old ashtray" character that might pass as macho camp, in an ironic, post-modern sort of way.

My gripe concerning Bois du Portugal is with the drydown. As the scent develops, a surprisingly soft, powdery note emerges above the ashtray, building a very soapy accord that dominates the base. I hate smelling like soap. It makes me feel uptight and stodgy. Once the soap asserts itself Bois du Portugal transforms from assertively potent to stuffy and, I dare say, elderly in a matter of a few minutes. What I'm left with is an extended drydown so fusty and so morbidly nostalgic that I feel like a fossil wearing it.
09th June, 2014 (last edited: 10th June, 2014)
Masculine scent that is incredible on a woman. My friend Cristina uses it and she smells sooo good. Bois du portugal is a greener sort of Mitzuko or aromatics elixir (I mean, the kind of masterpiece parfume you detect from 10 mts distance and lasts ages). It is a strong a powerful parfume, but on a woman it seems more round and soft. Very elegant and classic.
09th February, 2014
What a lovely scent.
If you're into classic fragrances and you want something almost fresh that has a really good quality and balanced smell, check this one out.
At the opening I can smell all the notes that mentioned in this fragrance.
I can smell a sharp and tart citrusy scent and that's because of bergamot.
There is a beautiful creamy sandalwood in the background.
The cedar note has a sharp woody and almost peppery aroma.
I can smell the vetiver note too and it has a dirty rooty feeling.
Something that surprised me is the lavender note. lavender in many fragrances has a really cheap and synthetic cleaner smell but in this fragrance it's really well done and give the scent a sharp and clean and light soapy vibe.
As I said I can smell all these notes with a really nice balance between them. nothing is cloying and overpowering.
As time goes by, the fresh citrusy scent start to decay and scent gets smokier and woodier.
It's not that strong and I'm sure you can wear it all four seasons.
Projection is really good and longevity is around 5-7 hours on my skin.
30th January, 2014
gimpy Show all reviews
Refined woody oriental

Updated review:

BdP has one of the best opening I've smelled in a frag. It opens with a gorgeous melange of lavender and spice, which transitions into a creamy cedar and sandalwood mid with the topnotes shimmering off. This seems almost a woody fougere at this point. This dries down in a ambergris base with a very barbershoppy feel.

I've had two different batches of BdP. The first was nuclear in longevity. I actually did not like this one as much as the base of it became very syrupy sweet. The second version I have is a tad weaker, but much more pleasant in its drydown.

Overall, BdP is an extremely refined masculine scent that goes with everything. I get the same groomed feel as with Rive Gauche. Lovers of New York should try this. While New York is more orange amber over oakmoss, BdP is more spiced woods over ambergris. I prefer BdP.

[B]Classic[/B].

Pros: Great topnotes, longevity
Cons: Basenotes can be more interesting"

31st August, 2013
Big and brash

The initial hit is powerful; an initial blast of vetiver and very soapy lavender and citrus notes. Jarring, big, in your face. Perhaps I have been influence by some of what has been written, but I imagine some old world mobster wearing this to lunch with his cronies.The initial intensity smooths out a bit, so he can continue wearing it with his "date," who would not dare to comment even if she found it still overbearing.

As it drys down, the spices try to push through the soapy notes. It is a scent that is not clean (in spite of the soapy), yet is not rich, dark or luxurious to me. The best word is brash, almost like a gold ring, which really does not suit me very well. Hard to rate, as it is good for what it is.

21st July, 2013
Smells like an old man

I blind bought Creed Bois du Portugal and this is the 6th Creed I currently own. To be blunt, I don't like it and I try really hard to enjoy it. It reminds me of Clubman talc or the splash the barbers use after shaving the back of your neck. It is a mixture of Old Spice and the green bottle of Polo in my opinion. It is not a bad scent, just not how I want to remembered. This is for the mature crowd and when I spray it in the air, the first thing that comes to mind, is elderly people....
I will keep trying to like it but I just might sell this bottle. This isn't for everyone. Do not blind buy BDP if you know what's good for you. I knew that sooner or later I would come across a bottle of Creed that I was dissatisfied with and here it is.

Pros: Longevity
Cons: Fragrance itself is equivalent to barbershop clubman talc/splash"

14th July, 2013
Not my Creed

BdP opens with a bang and ends in a whimper. After having read here and elsewhere that BdP is one of the best from Creed, I was hoping for a fragrance that was better than the sum of its parts. But it remained just the sum of its parts. The opening reminds me of the opening of Jovan Sex Appeal of yore. The middle was muddled, sweet smelling with no fidelity, as in a linear combination of equal parts of all its constituents, leading to a powdery woodsy drydown. Once you get past the sweetness, BdP does project a refinement that is understated, taking just you and perhaps a closest few into confidence.

18th June, 2013
For men, not boys.

Fabulous men's fragrance that I am told was created for Frank Sinatra, though Creed never actually lists names anywhere in public.

Very masculine.

Sillage is through the roof. People will stop and ask what you're wearing, and most of the time they have never heard of Creed, which I always find both awkward and fun all at once.

The 4 oz. bottle's label is made of green velvet, giving clues to the woodsy smoothness of BdP.

Buy some.

Pros: Created for Frank Sinatra - enough said.
Cons: Expensive, but that's kind of the point.

10th June, 2013