Neutral Reviews of Bois du Portugal by Creed

Find out more about Bois du Portugal by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

I can see why Bois du Portugal has its admirers. It stands in utter opposition to the polite and pretty "millesimes" that represent so much of the modern Creed line. Bois du Portugal opens LOUD, with a smoky leather assault that catapults straight out of the bottle. This is a take-no-prisoners accord if ever there was one: leather and burning wood all the way. The smoke hangs on for quite some time, eventually even taking on an "old ashtray" character that might pass as macho camp, in an ironic, post-modern sort of way.

My gripe concerning Bois du Portugal is with the drydown. As the scent develops, a surprisingly soft, powdery note emerges above the ashtray, building a very soapy accord that dominates the base. I hate smelling like soap. It makes me feel uptight and stodgy. Once the soap asserts itself Bois du Portugal transforms from assertively potent to stuffy and, I dare say, elderly in a matter of a few minutes. What I'm left with is an extended drydown so fusty and so morbidly nostalgic that I feel like a fossil wearing it.

09th June, 2014 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2014)

RichNTacoma's avatar

Big and brash

The initial hit is powerful; an initial blast of vetiver and very soapy lavender and citrus notes. Jarring, big, in your face. Perhaps I have been influence by some of what has been written, but I imagine some old world mobster wearing this to lunch with his cronies.The initial intensity smooths out a bit, so he can continue wearing it with his "date," who would not dare to comment even if she found it still overbearing.

As it drys down, the spices try to push through the soapy notes. It is a scent that is not clean (in spite of the soapy), yet is not rich, dark or luxurious to me. The best word is brash, almost like a gold ring, which really does not suit me very well. Hard to rate, as it is good for what it is.

21st July, 2013

vishwapa's avatar

Not my Creed

BdP opens with a bang and ends in a whimper. After having read here and elsewhere that BdP is one of the best from Creed, I was hoping for a fragrance that was better than the sum of its parts. But it remained just the sum of its parts. The opening reminds me of the opening of Jovan Sex Appeal of yore. The middle was muddled, sweet smelling with no fidelity, as in a linear combination of equal parts of all its constituents, leading to a powdery woodsy drydown. Once you get past the sweetness, BdP does project a refinement that is understated, taking just you and perhaps a closest few into confidence.

18th June, 2013

Nosebud's avatar

A scent for an accomplished, interesting man (from 1988.) It is a mature fragrance. You get that lavender/cedar thing with a bunch more going on, but it has been done before. It is a more intense version of fairly common pairing, but it has been balanced and done well by Creed. I like it, but will not pay that price.

21st October, 2012

alfarom's avatar

One of the best deliveries by Creed yet still not entirely stisfying. Bois De Portugal starts with an uncompromising leather/tobacco accord that immediately brings to mind of late seventies / early eighties macho fragrances. In this phase BDP is dry, assertive and by all means masculine but, at the same time it's surrounded by a strong deja-vu feel that keeps going on and on and on...The fragrance evolves then into a sort of pwdery-woody oriental drydown that's even more conventional and unoriginal.

Overall Bois De Portugal smells fine but, as often with Creed, you can have better alternatives at 1/2 the price.

12th April, 2012

wardamoose's avatar

For what it is, its perfect. This scent is amazingly formulated to give a deep, rich, warm scent. Like all other Creed scents, it is more of an experience than a smell. I however don't care too much for it. If I to describe it, it would be like walking through a dastardly hot and humid forest. I don't care for it myself, but I know that some people can pull this off.

02nd October, 2011

Orpheus99's avatar

When I sprayed this on, I got a nice spice blend from a distance. I put my nose close and sniffed. DIRTY FEET. Sharp and pungent. Whew, that's unpleasant. 10 minutes later, I get wet animal. 30 minutes in, the animalic scent begins to fade, and I start getting a hay note. 1 hour in and it has faded to a nice light musk smell, similar to Muscs Koublai Khan. The spice smell I get from a distance throughout. If you can make it past the the first 30 minutes, it's not bad. Just keep your nose away from the application point. Grade: C+

06th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 03rd September, 2011)

Jack Hunter's avatar

It's well made and has a great smoky drydown but the sharp overwhelming lavender that this scent opens with really slaps you in the face.

It's just to rich and overwhelming for me I always feel uncomfortable wearing this though I can appreciate it.

20th February, 2011

yeager4772's avatar

Wow! I really love it but in my opinion this is a scent so mature that fit just men well over 30 years old.
    I really love Creed fragrances and I have bought or tryed almost every scents in the collection.
    Except Silver Mountain Waters that I really hate and some other not so good to me they are really gorgeous. Bois du Portugal is one of them. It came from 1987 and you can instantly feel it: strong presence, wood, incense, leather. All ingredients for men, nothing else.
    As I wrote in another review it reminds me to an older italian scent like Trussardi Uomo and Polo original. To be clear, it is far far more accurate and complex (and expensive, too) but it is wonderful.
    I usually wear Green Irish Tweed but I think that my next Creed will be BDP, for winter days.
    I have only to decide if am I too young to wear it. I am only 38 after all...

03rd January, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th October, 2012)

MOONB's avatar

Ah, the woods of Portugal! What man can resist your incredible barbershop lavender? How pleasantly citrusy, woody, and dull you smell. Just let me shave and be happy.

28th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 18th March, 2011)

Percy1's avatar

You know, I got a decant of this and I'm a little concerned based on all the reviews here that maybe I got a bad decant.

This, more than any other fragrance I've ever tried, keeps bringing to mind Ron Burgundy's "It stings the nostrils..." It literally hurts me to wear this. Whatever scent it has is almost undetectable under the incredibly astringent nostril-attacking sting.

However, I do enjoy using a single spray of it to kick up some of my other fragrances which suffer from being a bit too "soft", like Burberry London.

So, again, I feel like I'm trying a different fragrance than everyone else here - I would never, ever wear this on its own. But it works nicely as a fragrance additive.

05th August, 2010

Redbeard's avatar

(Written concurrently with Parfums de Nicolai New York)

A rich, suave wood scent with a somewhat intimate tone. Opens more soapy and floral than PdN New York, with a fair amount of jasmine in the top that I can smell from up close. It's slightly more gentle and feminine and doesn't penetrate as far as New York. If you want quiet sweet woods, this is probably it...everything blends into a single warm blanket of scent and no single note stands out to me. I do, however, fear this going over the edge into Too Sweet territory because I find more vanilla and less spice in it. It just doesn't feel as powerful as New York, so I'd place it more in the context of snuggling with a lady at home than out in the professional world. Or if New York seems like it's being too forceful, BdP is the one for you. Alternatively, if you want more of the jasmine or other florals in your spicy wood scent (getting farther from New York), you may want to try Rochas Lui, which is another notch further up the floral scale.

15th May, 2010

sjohnjay's avatar

Well.....it's powerful & it's got longevity.
    It smells expensive, and it IS expensive.
    The only thing is: I have nowhere I could actually wear this (except at home alone). But then, I don't even feel right wearing this alone.
    It puts years on me............like I should be nibbling on 'Russell-Stover' maple-pecan chocolates & scratching the hemorrhoidal-itch

07th March, 2010

morrison74's avatar

Scotland Scotland

I appreciate the quality of this scent but it doesn't sit nicely on me. The first time I wore it I got quite negative feedback from friends ("You smell like a dirty, old man.." ). The second time I wore it, the same thing. Sorry, but this one isn't for me.

27th January, 2010 (Last Edited: 18th December, 2010)

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Starts with the nostalgia... I am at high school, all girls are wearing sweaters with shoulder paddings (god save us but that nightmare seems to be returning) and boys have high waist blue jeans and it is completely brut time. More austere male teachers have more pungent coniferous resine scents that you feel as a pain deep in your nasal passage... Yes Bois portugal have a very common pungent resinous top notes. But only in half an hour develops a burning woods accord sweetened by oakmoss. It is amazing. Sadly this rules only one hour more before ambergris gets up and ride all scent to pit of mediocre.

03rd November, 2009

bokaba's avatar

Decent leather with woods and spices--nothing more and certainly not worth the price. I find it similar to Knize Ten but lighter and not as regal.

16th August, 2009

StylinLA's avatar

I own this and I want to like it more than I really do. It just doesn't last on me like GIT. It's one the orientals from Creed and it is a wonderful scent. Masculine and slightly dark.

But another reviewer called it "80s" and I can get that. One can imagine this being very popular and "edgy" in the boardrooms about 1985.

09th August, 2009

renifleur's avatar

After about a half hour on my skin, the delicious, sexy cedar really stands out, and made the "old man" aura dissipate -- somewhat. However, sadly, the ambergris takes over and the fresh-from-the-barbershop old man returns. Overall, I think of it as a subtler, perhaps more wearable version of its 80s counterpart, Macassar.

02nd July, 2009

karelin7's avatar

The lore is that this was "created" for Frank Sinatra. Maybe so but whether Sinatra wore it is doubtful. According to Bill Zehme's manual about Sinatra and his grooming habits, he favored Agua Lavanda Puig and disliked strong fragrances on men. And this is a strong fragrance. The reviewers who compared it to Old Spice are not wrong. This is a dense, spicy, woodsy scent with strong notes of cognac, tobacco, and leather. The dominant notes, though, are the spices. Possibly clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg whose sweetness is muted by the cognac, tobacco and leather. Think Bill Holden or John Forsythe, maybe; think CEO circa 1940. I understand why this is not generally considered a "babe magnet." It's too old word men's clubby. It's not a fragrance I like enough to wear but on the right person it would be wonderful. I love Creed, it's my favorite house by far, but I must say that if I feel tempted one day to wear this frag, I'll save the money and slap on some Old Spice.

03rd April, 2009

old chap's avatar

This is definitely a high class fragrance. When you first smell it, it comes off as harsh, but after a while it mellows down to a very classy, almost "old man" scent. It is a strange mix of sweet and bitter at the same time. Considering I'm nowhere near old enough to pull a scent like this off, I give it a neutral. That being said, this is a true gentleman's cologne, and should at least be sampled by anyone who likes fragrance.

12th January, 2009

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Topnotes begin full-on; strong, pungent and they make themselves known. Develops to a more woody mid that is better and more subtle, less bitter than the opening. The drydown is a nice wood, vetivery and spicy affair. Overall not terribly smooth norrefined or as superlative as it's made up to be. Quite linear to me. If you're under 30 you may think it old-fashioned and old-man-ish. This isn't Creed's best but fairly long lasting though.

14th November, 2008

Bigsly's avatar

I think Vibert nailed this one; from ash tray to a bar of soap, more or less. It's not a terrible fragrance, but the problem for me is that there are two other fragrances that are better, going in two different directions (one of which I would have liked BdP to go). There's the super-"cheapo," Lomani, on the one hand, and Carven Homme on the other. CH has rich rosewood, vanilla, spices, and amber in the drydown, with the lavender playing no more than a background role (and hence no "soapiness"). With Lomani, the lavender is much stronger, but it plays off citrus, spice, oakmoss, and amber, and I find that it's never boring. BdP is too strong initially in one way, then it's nothing special in the drydown, in a different way. If price is taken into account, I'd give this a negative rating, but I'll go with neutral, judging it as if they all cost the same amount.,

06th October, 2008

Pryor's avatar

While I loved the approach, after but two hours on my skin all that was left was a strong and lingering scent of baby powder. Were my body chemistry different I would enjoy wearing this scent. Alas.

06th September, 2008

FloatingPoint's avatar

A heady one, this. It reminds me a little of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée (which it predates by two years), in both good ways and bad. Good in that they both project a certain middle-aged authority, bad in that there's something a little sickly sweet about both of them. BdP is definitely the better of the two: spicier, more interesting, better ingredients. I can't take a full application on skin of this, but a light misting and one spray onto my undershirt gives me a great deal of pleasure for the rest of the day. A little more spice and a little less sweet would have made this a clear thumbs-up for me. Definitely best suited for cooler weather.

12th June, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

I’ve revised my earlier review. I find I am now less inclined towards this scent than before.
    The name “Bois de Portugal” suggests a woody-orange scent, but that is not the case here. This is a rich, even luxurious scent. It starts with plumy bergamot… and that opening note is the last I see of any citrus. The woody notes of creamy sandalwood and bright cedar make a brief appearance, and they are well done. Quickly the amber takes over, and a smoky-earthy note from vetiver. For a while the richness holds off, and the scent has a haunting and attractive quality. However, the scent gets richer and more ambery in the dry-down.
    I’m neutral on it because this is not my style, but I won’t be negative. It is a well-made and attractive scent. Just too rich for my blood, as is often the case with Creed scents.

03rd April, 2007 (Last Edited: 25th January, 2010)

oolong's avatar

After reading all the reviews of Bois du Portugal it sounded like an ideal fragrance for me. My tastes have been evolving towards the more masculine end of the spectrum. I gave it a try and it definitely was as advertised, a finely crafted, very masculine fragrance which I genuinely like. That being said, I also felt a bit of disappointment. While I do like it, I really don't like it any better and many cases less then several fragrances which cost me 1/4 as much: Yatagan, Cumming, Santos, Bel Ami... Based upon the Creed mystique I guess I was expecting "All this and a bag of chips too" and someone left out the chips. So very good fragrance but I really question the value.

01st February, 2007

zoop's avatar

Finland Finland

At first I was taken aback and wondered whether the sample had gone bad. I wore it a bit on my wrists. Murky, musty, dusty, musky. The last third of a thick cigar. The complete opposite of me: ultra-strong, ultra-masculine, ultra-formal. I thought this would be a perfect fit for the classical stereotype man who is the size of a bull, never even had a feminine side, always wears a suit and tie and neglects his family. Seen Twin Peaks? Major Garland Briggs is BdP personified.

But I'm being unfair. So much for the first impressions. I'm trying this for the second time now. The greenness is there, although it is the dark green of a thick pine forest before a thunderstorm, and the sweetness can be found as well, hidden beneath the resin and spices. In all, this could be a good scent and I like some parts of it (perhaps it is the legendary "Creed base") but still probably not for me.

30th January, 2007

Mikey Q's avatar

Although I'm a big Creed fan, for me this one is an awful lot like the much-cheaper Old Spice. It's nice enough, and the dry down is very nice - but - it doesn't seem as classy as the other Creeds I wear regularly. The practical guy in me would buy Old Spice and then with the money I saved buy a different Creed. Cheers!

31st December, 2006

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

I like this but I don't love it to the extreme so many of you do. Its virtues are many, esp its lightness which starts right at the opening, and continues to the almost everlasting drydown. Yes, it's a sophisticated, boardroom scent but it lacks the aggressive, masculine feel of Vintage Tabarome, or---to leave Creeds altogether and step out into the outdoors--Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.
    I can't help but wonder if Churchill would have considered BdP a bit of a liigtweight

This is an 80's frag --the time when fougere, chypre and woods ruled male perfumery as the ubiquitous aquatics do today. It was Drakkar Noir country, --the woods were closing in on all sides as oakmoss battled fern. In this scenario, BdP was a safe and refined alternative with well blended notes of cedarwood, sandalwood, and vetiver (The same combo the GIT uses today, btw minus the oriental/woods)

Bless all BdP fanatics, but for me, it's 4 a star scent at most

02nd October, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2011)

DrBubba's avatar

To me, this smelled like Chaps, the old drug store cologne by Ralph Lauren.

I can't decide if I like it or not, but that's what I got out of it....Chaps. Oh...and flashbacks from 7th grade.

02nd May, 2006