Reviews of Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Dated and well-constructed. Good scent for <you guessed it> a boss in the office. Smells good on others but, whether vintage or newer, you got to be ok with honey.

Oh Honey, too much honey for me.
30th December, 2017
I came so close to buying chanel anteaus (it ain't cheap even tho times have moved on), I'd been looking for a typical 80's hairy chest type of scent for ages. Kouros is too loud and pissy for my liking and anteaus lacks strong character and balls , I find aramis excellent in many ways tho..Boss number 1 just nails everything perfectly in all departments tho for me. What a masterpiece of masculine power and sheer animalic silage. When I smell this I instantly think of Wall Street and success. The best thing about boss number 1 tho is that it is never over the top or comical, the fragrance genuinely is balanced to perfection with all the characteristic notes of the 80's fragrances blended so harmoniously. These sort of fragrances are due a come back soon guilty absolute is testing the water a bit recently but when the time come's I'll be more than happy with this masterpiece.
16th December, 2017
Okay, 1985's Boss Number One.
The opening is a very classic, crisp, cologne-y smelling type of 80s fragrance. I like that about it. It comes across as slightly sophisticated and formal.
Then it gets powdery. A little too powdery, with a dash of dirtiness in there. To my unsophisticated nose, it smells like something someone's great aunt would wear. "Dandy" is what comes to mind at this point.
Finally, as it dries down more and becomes more of a skin scent, it loses that powdery-ness and actually smells masculine. The honey and dirtiness is most prominent at this stage, and as you keep smelling it, it alternates between those two notes and something else. I don't know what it is, but overall, that skin scent dry down is the best part of it.

And yeah, I can sort of detect the pissy/urine note that some people say it has. I mean, I don't think it smells like pee, but I can see how some people might interpret it that way, especially in relation to how modern men's fragrances smell like.

Overall, I think it's okay. It definitely has character, it has that nostalgic, classic style to it, but the powdery part of keeps me from buying it. But if you're a fan of 1980s fragrances like me, definitely try it out.

14th November, 2017 (last edited: 04th January, 2018)

(2017 formula) This fougere is well done and is quite uplifting. To me, it falls somewhere between Aramis and Lauder for men. Maybe a bit more masculine than the latter actually.
The base notes in this current formulation make for average longevity, and the sillage never reaches 80's era levels.
It is a feel good scent and deserves your attention, should you be seeking an affordable classic fougere.
Blind buy? Do it.
11th September, 2017 (last edited: 13th September, 2017)
Old-school men's powerhouse scent that is quite fresh and enjoyable.

I thought I'd pass out from the initial spray-on's intensity, but Boss Number One mellows out into a powdery sweet-spicy fougere meant for older wearers.

Not totally dated, Boss Number One is still a fragrance worth checking out.
04th May, 2017
I wish I could praise this scent because this is similar to Givenchy Gentleman in the patchouli and honey aspect.In fact the first time you smell Number One you might find Givenchy's formula to be cleaner,delicate,and lower in projection.

Never again will I wear this which is a shame because I love patchouli and the tobacco came off nicely.Thinking back almost 20 years ago part of it was the honey...too much of it and overly sweet.In the honey though lied this disgusting piss quality which I only imagine I could reference with violet.
01st January, 2017 (last edited: 04th February, 2018)
On me, Number One lands somewhere between Brut and Grey Flannel. At its core, it's a nice mix of silvery violet leaf and lavender creating a very classic fougere smell, while lifted by mint and grounded with mace and cinnamon pie spices. It's less bright than Brut, which uses almost nuclear mint and wintergreen, while Number One is much more balanced. I've quite enjoyed wearing it. Thumbs up!
21st December, 2016
Vintage Boss from the 80s smells like a nice alternative to Lauder for Men. This also has funk, but it's restrained enough to work for a business meeting. It is sophisticated, but something is holding me back from true love, although maybe it could grow on me with a full bottle.

A little over a month after sampling this, I was still thinking about it, so I sampled some more and decided to buy a vintage bottle.
26th April, 2016 (last edited: 03rd June, 2016)
Here's another one that has suffered from
reform. In the 80's it competed well with all the powerhouses out there at the time. It reminded me of the 70's big ones with an 80's smoothness.
Recent tasting has revealed a cheapening
reform probably starting around 1993, when they started labeling it Number One.
Eurocos up until 1999 then P&G.
Thumbs up for the Vintage, of which I now own again. It is brother to Ho Hang Club.
Thoroughly enjoyable.
07th April, 2016 (last edited: 19th April, 2017)
rbaker Show all reviews
Traditional opening to the core, sage, lavender and bergamot, with the herbal note adding lavender in the drydown. The base is quite pleasant, mixing a soft oakmoss with patchouli and woodsy notes, but this stage of the development is a bit dull.

Classic in the choice of notes it is solidly executed but lacks any truly convincing qualities to elevate it to the top. I get moderate sillage and protection with four hours of longevity. 2.5/5
23rd May, 2015
Real nice opening with the oriental woodiness going on. Fresh and mossy. Love the drydown.
12th January, 2015 (last edited: 09th December, 2016)
The opening is a pleasant honey and moss mixture with a little bit of a urine note in the background. Unfortunately as the day progresses the honey dies down while the urine soaked moss rages on at full strength.

It does have a certain 1980's aura to it. It makes me want to put on a pinstripe suit and fire someone. I imagine Donald Trump smells like this.
06th February, 2014
One of my favorite scents for being a sensual dirty (urinous) masculine fragrance. The use of honey,bergamot, rosemary and jasmine are to be commended. I like this as much as like Tenere by Paco Rabanne. They are brothers for sure, especially since they were both created by the same perfumer. Love love the two!
09th November, 2013

I bought this because it was heavily discounted - and it was my signature when I wore it in high school in the early 90's. Back then it was in competition with Drakkar and Polo...but today it kind of stands out in the crowd. I get compliments from women my age - and buddies who remember it from 20 years ago. Its has a unique sweetness to it that others from this genre do not. Boss No. 1 is far from contemporary, but still a relevant fragrance that will make your chest sprout coarse, dark Magnum PI hair - and will cause a few heads to turn. Not everyone is amazed by the generic aquatic stuff out there...
19th January, 2013
beautiful fouger very sharp opening at first many people will say this smells dated but to me its beautiful masculine scent not so powerful as some of the 80s fragrances but decent
i dont know but its smells like a masculine rose for me if u dig rose scents and classics u will be hooked on this stuff if u dont like classics for u it wont work
sample b4 u buy but u should sample this one cuz if u like it it will be an addiction trust me :)
best fragrance from boss by far
25th October, 2012
Dated. clumsy, heavyhanded and nauseating. I wore this in the 80s and dont' know how I managed it.

Revisiting it in the context of some knowledge about fragrances, I appreciated the beeswax (they're calling it honey) note hidden in the murk of horrible "Fruit Loops" synthetic florals and fruit. The basenotes are so insinuated into this sickening mess that they are overpowered by the aromachemical catastrophe that Boss is.

My real pity is for the female or other partner of the innocent man who applies this miasma to his chest and has to smell it while next to him.

I am wondering if they are still employing Pierre Wargnye, the perpetrator of this scent.
27th August, 2012
Sweet, rich, deep honeyed golden glow. Smells to me like a richer version of the excellent Givenchy Insense. Where the Givenchy is stern and sparse, Boss is big and comforting. I am reviewing the original Boss. The latest one in the shops labelled Boss Number 1 is different. For me, the original Boss is an all-time great.
06th July, 2012
Strange, 20 years ago when I was young, I wore this a lot. It reacted well with my chemistry and had a balanced scent. I bought it again last year, and It must be that my chemistry has changed. It is heavy floral scented, I'm not getting citrus or the honey. It lasts a long time, a plus. I find that after dry down, I can tolerate it if I only use one spritz. Thumbs up for the memory of how it used to be.
10th June, 2012 (last edited: 09th August, 2016)
Boss # 1 is an excellent fougere.
It's old school, yes, but it can stand the test of time.
It is lighter (I think it's the honey) than some of the powerhouses that it shared the mid 1980's with.
I think that is why it survived so well.
Masculine and Classic is how I would describe it.
Very Nice Indeed.
23rd March, 2012
drseid Show all reviews
This powerhouse just was not to my taste, unfortunately. It smells way too harsh and unrefined. I love my powerhouses and I love my aromatics, but the herbs here are just way over-the-top in your face for me to wear Boss Number one without feeling more than a bit uncomfortable. 1 out of 5 stars.
10th February, 2012 (last edited: 22nd December, 2012)
This is a classic fougere structure with a dab of honey. Hugo Boss does quite a few "fresh, fruity, clean" scents for young men but it savvy enough to keep this classic on the market. The oakmoss and musk really hits you at first but the honey and lavender take over for a sweet and sharp accord until the oakmoss comes back. This is a "light" powerhouse-style fragrance.
27th December, 2011
This is one of the best fragrances I have, and certainly one of the most gentlemanly. It comes out of the bottle with a raging tobacco and honey note, but soon settles down and envelops you with warmth from the honey, and patchouli. If you smell it on your skin it can smell sweet and warm, but some might say it smells kind of like piss. However it's the smell that it seems to wrap you in that is important and wonderful.

I don't understand how Hugo Boss can go from making an awesome fragrance like this to making the crap they make now.
06th November, 2011
With reminiscences of Paco Rabane Pour Homme because of its laundry-barber shop feel (bergamot-lavender-oakmoss), this is a more than decent fougere with a final delicate and airy green aromatic but at once soapy feel. The floral notes soften the initial harshness of greens on the side of a touch of honey and moss, while a nice note of dry  patchouli roots a pillar in the structure of the boise' general silkiness. Just a tread behind of Elements in my Boss's struggling (i don't particularly love the fragrances of the brand) parade.
22nd September, 2011 (last edited: 10th November, 2011)
I haven't smelled this since before the 'Number One' was added, but the memory of this fragrance is so incredibly vivid and my experience completely jars with most of the other positive reviews on here.

I was sixteen. My seventeen year-old high school sweetheart wore Boss. I think he snagged it from his older brother who was somewhat of a bad boy. J, on the other hand, was sweet and goofy and, knowing him, put about as much thought into his choice of fragrance as he did the wrinkled band t-shirts he wore with sand-washed jeans that were two or three years out-of-date.

It is indeed a very masculine and animal-like scent, as others have described, but the lavender, the sweetness of the honey, and the warm dry-down are what made the scent absolutely perfect for a man-child trying to figure out who he was as an individual while experiencing love for the first time. This is also what made the scent awesome enough to spray on the stuffed lion he'd bought me as a gift so that I could fall asleep with comforting and soft base notes of this really wonderful fragrance which lasted for several nights at a time. Very fond memories of this one and still one of my favorites.
21st September, 2011
i recently bought 3 bottles of the old Hugo Boss (before it was renamed No.1 in front of the box). i like the slightly saltish scent which smells very sensual to me. i think it personifies a sexy virile man.... ;)
03rd June, 2011
A classic! I used to sprinkle myself with this stuff in the late 80-ies, but afterwards all the new "fresh-sport-citrus-aqua" stuff took over the market. I tried this scent recently, and I just had to buy a bottle! I love spicy/woody/oriental bold fragrances with a hint of sweetness, and I will place Boss no:1 in that category. If you like classic masculines like Obsession, Tuscany, Aramis, Azzaro etc, you will probably love this one. Warm, dense, spicy, and sweet, with excellent sillage and longevity. I own several fragrances in this category that are more refined, but I think Boss no.1 is quite unique. I have never smell enything similar. Attire: suit jacket, white shirt, leather shoes, and maby a tie. Not for casual ans sport, but great for business and formal occasions. IMO, the only Boss scent with a certain style, elegance, and individuality. A must have in a fragrance-collectors closet. It has passed the test of time, and still smells great after all these years.
11th April, 2011
I don't get it. "Macho, masculine, powerhouse"? Doesn't seem quite like that to me.
The notes suggest a classic fougere but this doesn't have that unique perky-green note I associate with that type of scent. The scent starts as aromatic and herbal. It quickly assumes its main character, a soapy-clean style. It is pleasant and simple. It gets sweet and a bit powdery in the dry-down but not excessively so. As well, I find an airy, salty tang from the patchouli and oakmoss. I just don't find this as heavy as many reviewers suggest. Odd, since I usually am very sensitive to scent. Pleasant, but I have other fougeres I like much better.
22nd December, 2010
I find Boss Number One to be very unique...Nothing I own smells quite like this. It is anamalic, masculine, dry and dirty with a hint of sweetness from the honey. I really do enjoy it when I'm in the mood to wear it. It starts out very potent, but calms down to a reasonable level within a half an hour. Sillage is very good, but not excessive. Longevity is 8-10 hours.

I find it to be more masculine than Quorum Puig or Bijan PH, but not necessarily more powerful. Azzaro PH, Giorgio PH and Halston Z-14 are just as powerful, but sweeter.

I have other fragrances with the patchouli, sandalwood and oakmoss combination in the basenotes, but this powerhouse is so much more much dirtier. Definitely a thumb's up.

21st December, 2010 (last edited: 22nd July, 2011)
A very good entry level powerhouse. If you can find the vintage version before it was even called "Boss Number One", I find that one superior.
05th November, 2010 (last edited: 06th February, 2011)
mspa Show all reviews
the more i wear it, the more i don't like it (unlike with some other stuff where i experience the contrary effect). at first it seemed to me rich and masculine. what bothers me is its very synthetic core, easily revealed if you try to wash it off... what remains is a very unpleasant, strong chemical smell... you may not walk in a rain wearing it, but imagine what would happen if you apply 'generously' in a hot day, and then sweat a lot...
11th September, 2010