Positive Reviews of Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Find out more about Boss Number One by Hugo Boss in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

One of my favorite scents for being a sensual dirty (urinous) masculine fragrance. The use of honey,bergamot, rosemary and jasmine are to be commended. I like this as much as like Tenere by Paco Rabanne. They are brothers for sure, especially since they were both created by the same perfumer. Love love the two!

09 November, 2013

Bigtruck260's avatar
    Bigtruck260

I bought this because it was heavily discounted - and it was my signature when I wore it in high school in the early 90's. Back then it was in competition with Drakkar and Polo...but today it kind of stands out in the crowd. I get compliments from women my age - and buddies who remember it from 20 years ago. Its has a unique sweetness to it that others from this genre do not. Boss No. 1 is far from contemporary, but still a relevant fragrance that will make your chest sprout coarse, dark Magnum PI hair - and will cause a few heads to turn. Not everyone is amazed by the generic aquatic stuff out there...

19 January, 2013

Princeofegypt's avatar
    Princeofegypt
    Egypt Egypt

beautiful fouger very sharp opening at first many people will say this smells dated but to me its beautiful masculine scent not so powerful as some of the 80s fragrances but decent
    i dont know but its smells like a masculine rose for me if u dig rose scents and classics u will be hooked on this stuff if u dont like classics for u it wont work
    sample b4 u buy but u should sample this one cuz if u like it it will be an addiction trust me :)
    best fragrance from boss by far

25 October, 2012

0j76's avatar
    0j76
    England England

Sweet, rich, deep honeyed golden glow. Smells to me like a richer version of the excellent Givenchy Insense. Where the Givenchy is stern and sparse, Boss is big and comforting. I am reviewing the original Boss. The latest one in the shops labelled Boss Number 1 is different. For me, the original Boss is an all-time great.

06 July, 2012

SirScent's avatar
    SirScent

Boss # 1 is an excellent fougere.
    It's old school, yes, but it can stand the test of time.
    It is lighter (I think it's the honey) than some of the powerhouses that it shared the mid 1980's with.
    I think that is why it survived so well.
    Masculine and Classic is how I would describe it.
    Very Nice Indeed.

23 March, 2012

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

This is a classic fougere structure with a dab of honey. Hugo Boss does quite a few "fresh, fruity, clean" scents for young men but it savvy enough to keep this classic on the market. The oakmoss and musk really hits you at first but the honey and lavender take over for a sweet and sharp accord until the oakmoss comes back. This is a "light" powerhouse-style fragrance.

27 December, 2011

dwrestle's avatar
    dwrestle

This is one of the best fragrances I have, and certainly one of the most gentlemanly. It comes out of the bottle with a raging tobacco and honey note, but soon settles down and envelops you with warmth from the honey, and patchouli. If you smell it on your skin it can smell sweet and warm, but some might say it smells kind of like piss. However it's the smell that it seems to wrap you in that is important and wonderful.

I don't understand how Hugo Boss can go from making an awesome fragrance like this to making the crap they make now.

06 November, 2011

innana88's avatar
    innana88

I haven't smelled this since before the 'Number One' was added, but the memory of this fragrance is so incredibly vivid and my experience completely jars with most of the other positive reviews on here.

I was sixteen. My seventeen year-old high school sweetheart wore Boss. I think he snagged it from his older brother who was somewhat of a bad boy. J, on the other hand, was sweet and goofy and, knowing him, put about as much thought into his choice of fragrance as he did the wrinkled band t-shirts he wore with sand-washed jeans that were two or three years out-of-date.

It is indeed a very masculine and animal-like scent, as others have described, but the lavender, the sweetness of the honey, and the warm dry-down are what made the scent absolutely perfect for a man-child trying to figure out who he was as an individual while experiencing love for the first time. This is also what made the scent awesome enough to spray on the stuffed lion he'd bought me as a gift so that I could fall asleep with comforting and soft base notes of this really wonderful fragrance which lasted for several nights at a time. Very fond memories of this one and still one of my favorites.

21st September, 2011

dark phoenix 123's avatar
    dark phoenix 123
    Singapore Singapore

i recently bought 3 bottles of the old Hugo Boss (before it was renamed No.1 in front of the box). i like the slightly saltish scent which smells very sensual to me. i think it personifies a sexy virile man.... ;)

03 June, 2011

Oslo-Fjord's avatar
    Oslo-Fjord
    Norway Norway

A classic! I used to sprinkle myself with this stuff in the late 80-ies, but afterwards all the new "fresh-sport-citrus-aqua" stuff took over the market. I tried this scent recently, and I just had to buy a bottle! I love spicy/woody/oriental bold fragrances with a hint of sweetness, and I will place Boss no:1 in that category. If you like classic masculines like Obsession, Tuscany, Aramis, Azzaro etc, you will probably love this one. Warm, dense, spicy, and sweet, with excellent sillage and longevity. I own several fragrances in this category that are more refined, but I think Boss no.1 is quite unique. I have never smell enything similar. Attire: suit jacket, white shirt, leather shoes, and maby a tie. Not for casual ans sport, but great for business and formal occasions. IMO, the only Boss scent with a certain style, elegance, and individuality. A must have in a fragrance-collectors closet. It has passed the test of time, and still smells great after all these years.

11th April, 2011

Safetyjon's avatar
    Safetyjon

I find Boss Number One to be very unique...Nothing I own smells quite like this. It is anamalic, masculine, dry and dirty with a hint of sweetness from the honey. I really do enjoy it when I'm in the mood to wear it. It starts out very potent, but calms down to a reasonable level within a half an hour. Sillage is very good, but not excessive. Longevity is 8-10 hours.

I find it to be more masculine than Quorum Puig or Bijan PH, but not necessarily more powerful. Azzaro PH, Giorgio PH and Halston Z-14 are just as powerful, but sweeter.

I have other fragrances with the patchouli, sandalwood and oakmoss combination in the basenotes, but this powerhouse is so much more anamalic...so much dirtier. Definitely a thumb's up.

21st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2011)

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

A very good entry level powerhouse. If you can find the vintage version before it was even called "Boss Number One", I find that one superior.

05 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 February, 2011)

Skweekah's avatar
    Skweekah

Lovely fragrance. Warm, masculine, powerful. It is a deep and complex fragrance. It's one that Im sure will stand the test of time. Is a must have for any fragrance connoisseur's collection. Projection and longevity are excellent and has the characteristics of a high quality men's classic fragrance.

Skweekah

31st August, 2010

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

How have I overlooked this all these years? As Shamu1 noted, this must be experienced on skin to get the full effect. At first the animalic dirtiness is stupefying but this is part of the allure. Think Kouros, Moustache, Givenchy Gentleman: these all come on like gangbusters. I get the patchouli-herbal thing for the first hour or so, then the sweetness sneaks in; this must be the honey note but it's kind of fruity to my nose. The dirty quality never leaves though, which makes this unique.

This is one scent that's a male chauvinist in its overt macho attitude. Projection is top notch but longevity, although ranging about 6-7 hours, is surprisingly, relatively short for such a General Patton firebreather. All-in-all a must try, especially for fans of old school masculines.

29 August, 2010

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Incredible, I can't believe this is a Boss scent. Masculine smell of honey with spicy/woody touch to it. This scent is very elegant. For the office or even romantic occasion. Longevity and sillage are very good. Definitely thumb up!

08 August, 2010

Asmo's avatar
    Asmo

Growing up in the southern USA I often smelled this on rural men in their 30's and 40's. I smiled when I read someone describe it as 'warm hog piss'. That is not a bad thing to smell like depending on where you live. I would probably not wear this, but I will revisit and respect it as one of the gems of the 80's.

28 April, 2010

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Don't test this on a smelling strip. You won't get an accurate idea of what this smells like unless you test it on your own skin. On paper, it smells musty, muddy, brown and gloomy. On skin, it smells warm, rich and debonaire.

I completely trashed Boss #1 in my prior review because I'd tested it on a smelling strip. I've done a 180 on this now that I've worn it. Boss #1 is a very dark, heavy and rich fragrance that exudes confidence and maturity with its excellent blending of tobacco, honey and patchouli. I'm shocked to see that leather is not listed as a note, because Boss No. 1 has a dark, oily feel that is the hallmark of leather in a fragrance. I could just see Boss #1 fitting right in at a formal black tie event, where there's a lot of cigars and Scotch.

Boss No. 1 is an 80s power scent, even if it's not quite as aggressive and in your face as other powerhouse frags from that era. Its longevity isn't great for a powerhouse - 6 or 7 hours - but that's not a big deal. It has prominent sillage, and I put this in the same league of powerhouses like Azzaro Pour Homme and Giorgio For Men, where its smooth, deep base notes, rather than assertive top or mid notes, provide it the Powerhouse muscle.

Boss No. 1 truly exudes a macho sense of authority and swagger, which I feel is the litmus test for a true Power Scent. It's powerful but not brash or crass - this is not a fragrance for some loud, obnoxious bum. I also don't find it to be an aristocratic smelling scent like Creed's original Tabarome either - this is a fragrance for the ultra-confident, self-made man. It exudes true masculinity like few other fragrances can.

MY RATING: 9/10

05 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2010)

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

It was a huge relief to rediscover Number One, having tried and been mightily unimpressed with the Boss line of fragrances. I do recall this being more potent in its original guise, but the spirit and notes are almost identical. Though they have few notes in common, the opening reminded me of Versace L'homme, an earthy and herbal quality that is very masculine, and deeply satisfying. This potent opening is quite brief, but the honeyed heart notes of jasmine, combined with the rough edges of the rosemary, provide a warm if somewhat subdued middle phase. The drydown is even more restrained, with a very simple base, further adding to the general feeling of reticence. Initially I felt that it had poor longevity, but it is actually quite long-lived, just very unobtrusive and contained.

26 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2009)

foetidus

The number one Boss fragrance not only in name: I was expecting something completely different. I wasn’t expecting anything of substance and sensuality. This is not one of those later characterless and artificial Hugo Boss fragrances. This fragrance exhibits genuine ‘80s characteristics – probably diluted through reformulations – but still retaining definite aspects of powerhouse potency and sensuality. Boss Number One opens alcoholy, and immediately moves into a rich juniper and artemisia –and it has a slightly dirty nature, but where the dirty comes from is not hinted at in the pyramid, unless its related to the patchouli of the base. I get very little citrus or herbal in the opening – just those lush, masculine notes. The middle notes get a little more arid in spite of the honey that’s listed for the middle. The drydown is quietly reserved with deep wood, tobacco, and patchouli notes.

The unfortunate aspect of the fragrance is its lack of longevity. Usually scents like this last much longer than Boss Number One.

07 August, 2009

tanto's avatar
    tanto

This is a great scent. OK, it might be a bit dated but it is still very masculine and pleasant to smell. I guess that it would be considered an 80's "powerhouse" scent but it is definitely not as obtrusive as some of those 80's scents (which I really don't like anymore). This scent can be worn almost anytime but better for evening use. What I like about Boss One is that it cannot be mistaken for anything else because it has a characer of its own. The dry down smells terrific. I think it is better suited for men in their 40's or older.

19 February, 2009

FLCounselor's avatar
    FLCounselor

I was at a men's store and needed to add $30 to get a $50 discount on my purchase. I didn't want to pay that much for their designer socks, so I asked to try out two fragrances.

I sprayed Perry Ellis Blue 360 on my right wrist and Boss # 1 on my left. After a few whiffs, I bought the Perry Ellis.

I continued on with my errands, and in the car I noticed I kept bringing up my left wrist for another sniff. Three hours later I found myself back at the men's store, explaining that time had changed my mind and I would prefer to trade in the Perry Ellis for this Boss.

I have never regreted it.

I spray on Boss # 1 whenever I want to smell like a man's man.

I went on a spree, buying all the different Boss fragrances, but never found another one close to the timelessness and class contained in the original.

The good news is that I was no longer satisfied with the jumble of five bottles I found on my shelf that had come to me over the years as gifts from various girlfriends and lovers. Instead, it was the beginning of my quest in search of my perfect scent.

I am now up to 172 bottles, and I can say that the only other one I have found as truly masculine as this orignal Boss is Versace's Dreamer.

Please do get past the general disdain for the Boss products that you read on this board, and try this classic with an open mind.

07 February, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

I like this a lot, although I wouldn`t wear it myself, at least not outdoors.

It`s basically a honey fragrance that is very aromatic and rich. Strong and masculine, lasts forever with interesting projection. I find it quite animalic, and perhaps slightly "dated".

Dry yet quite sweet too, I get wonderful accords of damp hay and somethting which reminds me of (not smoky) tea.

Could probably be seen as a faraway cousin of Kouros. Apply very gently.

10th November, 2008

rodent's avatar
    rodent
    France France

This is Boss's only really great scent, in my view. There was a time in the late 80s when this was _the_ defining scent in airport duty-free stores -- it is extremely powerful, and there is absolutely no mistaking it for anything else. Yes, it smells ever so slightly urinous, but I put that down to the warm honey note more than anything else; as lagloriacubana so aptly points out, it's the sandlewood and patchouli that really dominates, and it's the latter that makes this so potently "masculine". But unlike something like, say, Givenchy Gentleman, where the patchouli just grabs you by the balls and breathes down your back, here it is wonderfully woven into a cooling, slightly incensy, and ultimately quite unique texture. This won't win any prizes for subtlety, but it has bags of personality, is utterly unmistakeable for anything else, and actually smells really good if you're willing to keep an open mind (i.e., do a brain-wipe of 1) the aquatic olfactory conditioning we've all received over the past decade and 2) the notion that all Boss product sucks). Others must think so as well since it's been continuously in production since its launch.

For what it's worth, I actually think of this as being more 70s than 80s in spirit.

17 September, 2008

simon curtis's avatar
    simon curtis

A classic fragrance, having worn it at college in the early 1990s, popular with the ladies.

11th August, 2008

Joe_Frances's avatar
    Joe_Frances

While this smells a little dated to me, I still seen to be drawn to it. Could that mean I am a bit dated myself? Well, maybe but let's get back on track. This is a very nice mixture of half strong uberman powerhouse; and half sweet guy that appeals to me. Something about a whiff of lavender; mixed with a touch of honey and backed up by pachouli that intrigues me. It's a pretty tasty scent sandwich. I think of Indiana Jones when I smell this-- very masculine and a touch romantic. It would be a very nice place for some guys to start in search of a signature fragrance. For some us, it might be a place to go back to when we feel a little "dated" ourselves. Hurray for yesterday!

26 June, 2008

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

This is one of my favorites from Hugo Boss. Opens with a spicy-herbal accord and rather swiftly reveals a very obvious honeyed floral accord. The sourish tinge from the oakmoss is also apparent at this point. The scent then settles into a wonderfully sweet patchouli and wood base.

17 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2010)

atrac's avatar
    atrac

If someone held a gun to my head and made me pick my signature fragrance, this would be it. I feel a cologne should be packed with longevity and should project itself well. When I enter a room, I want to be noticed, and this one does the trick!

This fragrance is no longer listed on the Hugo Boss fragrance website, which does not hold well for the future of this, my favorite fragrance ever.

I think I'll hold a gun to my own head now. :(

09 June, 2008

jude_c's avatar
    jude_c

This is your typical 80's powerhouse scent. It is so so potent, so be careful there. It has a sexy yellow smell to it, similar to Caron Third man. These two are not dark, but they are sexy. Easily the best boss scent. High quality, but watch it - easy to overapply.

04 November, 2007

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Brings back fond memories of the late Eighties. This isn't one I clamor for, no, but I certainly fail to understand the acrimony here on this review page.

It's a pleasant fragrance, somewhat strong and powdery -- very masculine. A tad dated, that's all.

29 October, 2007

Ronald's avatar
    Ronald

Very "80's"? Definitely. In fact, it's the signature scent of a friend of mine who is sort of stuck in that decade. It's also excellent stuff - I picked up a 3.4oz bottle for $20 at a drugstore recently based upon the pleasing sillage and don't regret it a bit. If you like scents like Azzaro PH, you should really like this one which is a bit more luxurious.

15 March, 2007